Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2011 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Executive Order - Blocking Property of Certain Persons with Respect to Human Rights Abuses in Syria The White House 29 Apr 2011
- Letter - Blocking Property of Certain Persons with Respect to Human Rights Abuses in Syria The White House 29 Apr 2011
- Fact Sheet: Executive Order, Syria Human Rights Abuses The White House 29 Apr 2011
- US Freezes Syrian Officials' Assets VOA 29 Apr 2011 -- The US is imposing new sanctions on three top Syrian officials, the country's intelligence agency and Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
- U.S. sanctions Syrian officials over protest suppression RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2011 -- The White House imposed sanctions on Syria's intelligence agency and two relatives of President Bashar al-Assad.
- U.S. Religious-Freedom Commission Recommends Egypt Be Listed Among Worst Offenders RFE/RL 29 Apr 2011 -- A U.S. government commission has recommended that Egypt be placed on a list of the "worst of the worst" countries for religious freedom.
- Atoms for Peace in the 21st Century IAEA 28 Apr 2011
- Iranian Political Prisoners Transferred To Dangerous Prison RFE/RL 28 Apr 2011 -- At least 11 Iranian political prisoners have been transferred to a prison outside of Tehran known for its harsh conditions.
- Iran calls for formation of fact finding mission on Bahrain IRNA 28 Apr 2011 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani has called for formation of a fact finding mission to examine current developments in Bahrain.
- Iran calls for formation of a fact-finding committee on Bahrain ISNA 28 Apr 2011 -- Iran called for formation of a fact-finding committee to probe into humanitarian situation in Bahrain.
- Iran summons Bahraini charge d'affaires ISNA 28 Apr 2011 -- Iran summoned Bahraini charge d'affaires following expulsion of an Iranian diplomat for alleged link to a spy network in Kuwait.
- Fuel needed for Tehran reactor to be produced domestically IRNA 27 Apr 2011 -- Deputy Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council: Fuel needed for Tehran medical research reactor will be completely produced inside the country.
- Dervishes Protest In Northeastern Iran RFE/RL 27 Apr 2011 -- Gonabadi dervishes are reported to have converged on the northeastern Iranian city of Beydokht this week to protest.
- No passport confiscation at airports for Iranian expatriates IRNA 27 Apr 2011 -- Confiscation of the Iranian expatriates' passports upon arrival in the country has banned.
- Shourd invited to attend 2nd court hearing IRNA 26 Apr 2011 -- Sara Shourd, one of the three detained Americans who was released later on bail, has been invited to attend her second trial session to be held soon.
- Iran says to hit back expulsion of diplomat from Bahrain ISNA 26 Apr 2011 -- Iran said that it has the right to retaliate expulsion of its diplomat from Bahrain.
- Obama's allegation, repetition of Clinton's comments, says Iran ISNA 26 Apr 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Obama's claim against Iran is repetition of Clinton's comments.
- Iranian new destroyer to join Navy in Caspian Sea ISNA 26 Apr 2011 -- An Iranian Army Commander said on Tuesday a new destroyer would join the Navy in Caspian Sea coasts.
- Iran Raises Price of Bread in Subsidy Phaseout VOA 26 Apr 2011 -- Iran has raised the price of bread by as much as 25 percent as part of a plan to phase out government subsidies.
- Iran Says It Has Detected Second Cyberattack RFE/RL 25 Apr 2011 -- A senior military official says Iran has been hit by a second computer virus in a "cyberwar" waged by its enemies.
- Iran says hit by second cyber attack RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2011 -- Iran's civil defense chief said on Monday the country had been hit by its second cyber attack in the past eight months.
- Three Americans to stand trial in Iran mid May ISNA 25 Apr 2011 -- Three Americans imprisoned in Iran are to stand trial on May 11.
- Iran dismisses Obama's claim on Syria ISNA 25 Apr 2011 -- Iran rejected the US President's claim on Syrian call for Tehran's assistance in dealing with recent protests, saying that Syrian officials are able to manage their own country.
- Uprisings in Bahrain Ratchet Up Tension With Iran VOA 25 Apr 2011 -- Bahrain has become the scene of demonstrations demanding greater political freedoms. But the situation in Bahrain is not entirely internal.
- Iran says army equipped with advanced tactical weapons ISNA 25 Apr 2011 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said the country's army is equipped with the most advanced tactical weapons.
- Supreme Leader cautions media on social calmness IRNA 24 Apr 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that political and cultural officials, as well as journalists and online media should not publish news articles which would induce lack of tranquility in the society.
- Larijani: US should not put blames on others IRNA 24 Apr 2011 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Sunday that the US should blames others for its illogical interventions in other countries' affairs.
- Iran Navy to have strategic presence in world waters- commander IRNA 24 Apr 2011 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said Iran's naval forces will continue their powerful and strategic presence in the international waters.
- Iraqi Minister: Iraq determined to expel MKO members IRNA 23 Apr 2011 -- Iraqi Justice Minister Hassan al-Shamari said his country is determined to expel members of Mujahedin Khalq Organization (MKO) from Ashraf Camp.
- Larijani: US, Israel to fail in attempt to suppress Muslim awakening IRNA 23 Apr 2011 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Saturday that the US and Zionist regime will fail in attempts to suppress the Muslim awakening in the region.
- Supreme Leader commends services of three branches of government IRNA 23 Apr 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Saturday commended services of three branches of government especially the incumbent President who is working hard day and night ceaselessly to serve people and disappoint enemies.
- S Leader: President, government all dedicated to serve Iran IRNA 23 Apr 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said the Iranian President and his cabinet were all dedicated to serve the country.
- Iran likely to launch bio life capsule by mid Sept ISNA 20 Apr 2011 -- The Head of Iranian Space Agency (ISA) Hamid Fazeli said the country is likely to launch 'Explorer 4' with bio life capsule into space by mid September.
- Iran to put monkey into orbit RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2011 -- Iran plans to launch a monkey into space in mid-September, the ISNA news agency said on Wednesday, citing Iranian Space Agency head Hamid Fazeli.
- Iran ready to dispatch peace-keeping force abroad: Army commander IRNA 20 Apr 2011 -- Army Commander Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said that Iran is ready to dispatch peace-keeping force abroad.
- Iran plans to hold military drill with regional observers ISNA 20 Apr 2011 -- A senior Iranian Army Commander said the country is to perform a massive military drill with presence of observers from regional countries.
- Iran calls (P)GCC's claims unfounded ISNA 19 Apr 2011 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast rejected the repetitive claims and false allegation against the country raised in the [P]GCC recent statement.
- Firouzabadi: Iran poses no threat to regional countries IRNA 19 Apr 2011 -- Chairman of The Armed Forces Joint Chiefs of Staff Major General Hassan Firouzabadi said on Tuesday that Iran's military might is no threat to the countries of the region.
- Army Commander: our armed forces' combat readiness deterrent IRNA 19 Apr 2011 -- Commander of IRI Army 58th Commando Brigade, Zolfaqar, said her Monday Iranian armed forces' combat readiness is a deterrent factor keeping enemies away.
- Admiral Qaderpanah: US diplomacy defeated in Persian Gulf IRNA 19 Apr 2011 -- Commander of IRI Navy 1st District said here Monday: Long pursued US 'Naval Diplomacy' in Persian Gulf has faced full defeat with wave of nations' awakening in the region.
- Iran says ready to continue talks if other side is prepared ISNA 19 Apr 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said on Tuesday the country is ready to continue talks with P5-plus-one whenever the other side is ready.
- Iran's Nobel Laureate Ebadi Warns Of Unrest Among Ethnic Arabs In Iran RFE/RL 19 Apr 2011 -- Iranian Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi has warned the United Nations of the possible spread of unrest in Iran's Khuzestan Province, home to most of the country's ethnic Arab minority.
- President stresses formation of global movement for peace, security IRNA 18 Apr 2011 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stressed the need for formation of a global movement to establish peace and security in the world.
- Iran Army backs regional states- commander IRNA 18 Apr 2011 -- Army Commander-in-Chief Major General Ataollah Salehi said here Monday that Iran's Army supports all regional countries and it is a deterrent to the world's bullying powers.
- Ahmadinejad hails performance of Iranian army IRNA 18 Apr 2011 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad hailed the performance of the Iranian army as the most popular, powerful and beloved army in the world.
- Ahmadinejad: Enemy seeks Arab-Iranian war in region ISNA 18 Apr 2011 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Monday the enemy seeks Arab-Iranian war in the region.
- Iran to unveil new destroyer soon ISNA 18 Apr 2011 -- Iran's Navy Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Monday the country is to unveil a new model of destroyer in near future.
- Iran army receives defense system ISNA 18 Apr 2011 -- Iranian army received Shalamcheh defense system, said Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi on Monday.
- Iran successfully test fires air defense system, missiles ISNA 18 Apr 2011 -- Iran successfully test fired air defense system and two missiles as it is preparing to mark National Day of Army.
- Iran displays advanced army weapons ISNA 18 Apr 2011 -- Iran displayed advanced army weapons as it marked Army Day on Monday.
- Salehi: Iran ready to help promote welfare, security in Afghanistan IRNA 17 Apr 2011 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said on Sunday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is ready to help promote welfare and security in Afghanistan.
- Supreme Leader: Army should make use of all potentials to serve Islamic Revolution IRNA 17 Apr 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that the Iranian army should make use of all its capabilities and potentials in serving the Islamic Revolution.
- Iran passes over sanctions successfully - Minister IRNA 17 Apr 2011 -- Iran's Minister of Economic Affairs and Finance Shamseddin Hosseini termed the country's economy as a ship which has passed over the 'storm of sanctions' successfully.
- Iran criticizes Clinton's recent allegations ISNA 17 Apr 2011 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani criticized the US Secretary of State's recent remarks against the country.
- Iran Condemns EU Sanctions Over Human Rights Abuses RFE/RL 17 Apr 2011 -- Iran has condemned the European Union for its fresh sanctions against 32 Iranian officials over alleged human rights abuses, accusing the bloc of hypocrisy and servitude to the United States.
- Vahidi: Iranian army in service of regional stability, security IRNA 16 Apr 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said on Saturday that the powerful Iranian army is in service of regional stability and security.
- Iran begins refueling Bushehr nuclear power plant IRNA 14 Apr 2011 -- Head of Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant: Operations to inject fuel into the core of the reactor of the plant have already started.
- Iran to launch gamma radiation center in two years ISNA 14 Apr 2011-- Iran intends to launch the first gamma-ray multi-purpose radiation center by next two years, taking another major step in nuclear progress.
- China pushes for further dialog on Iranian nuclear program RIA Novosti 14 Apr 2011 -- China is pushing to continue talks between Tehran and the six international mediators on Iran's controversial nuclear program.
- China hopes Iran, 5+1 Group resume talks IRNA 14 Apr 2011 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry's Spokesman Hong Lei expressed hope on Thursday that nuclear talks between Iran and member-states of the 5+1 Group will resume soon.
- UN: 34 Killed In Iraqi Raid On Iranian Exiles RFE/RL 14 Apr 2011 -- A UN official says 34 people were killed in an Iraqi Army raid last week on a camp of Iranian exiles.
- Iran building 'anti-terror' wall on Pakistan border RIA Novosti 14 Apr 2011 -- Iran is building a fence on its border with Pakistan to keep out terrorists, Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said.
- Is Iran Still Center Of Middle East's 'Great Game?' RFE/RL 13 Apr 2011 -- From being the most assertively visible actor in the Middle East, it has seemingly become quiet and unnoticed, almost the forgotten country.
- Iranian envoy underscores need to address state terrorism IRNA 13 Apr 2011 -- Iran's envoy to the UN: Terrorism could not be overcome without addressing state terrorism.
- Iran's President Criticizes US, Israel on Mideast Policies VOA 13 Apr 2011 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says he envisions the emergence of a "new" Middle East, without the influence of the U.S., Israel and their allies.
- Iran raises probability of MKO members' return ISNA 13 Apr 2011 -- Iranian ambassador to Iraq Danaei-Far: Ashraf Camp residents may return to Iran if there is no case opened against them in the country.
- Soltanieh blasts western governments for confrontation with Iran IRNA 12 Apr 2011 -- Iran's Ambassador to the IAEA Soltanieh blasted the western governments for confrontation with Iran over the nuclear program.
- Iran set to produce fuel rods for reactors soon - agency RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2011 -- Iran will soon be able to produce nuclear fuel rods for the Tehran research reactor.
- Iran to become a nuclear fuel rod producer country soon IRNA 12 Apr 2011 -- Junior Assistant President Hashemi: Iran would soon be among top countries that produced nuclear fuel rods.
- Iran plans to stage military drills ISNA 12 Apr 2011 -- Iran said on Tuesday it intends to hold two war games in 2011.
- EU Ministers 'Set To Impose Sanctions' Over Iran Rights Abuses RFE/RL 12 Apr 2011 -- Britain says the EU is set to impose sanctions on 32 Iranian officials over human rights abuses.
- Larijani: Parties essential elements in democracy IRNA 12 Apr 2011 -- Parliament Speaker Larijani said here political parties are among essential elements in counties committed to rules of democracy.
- Kuwait's claims serve Zionists' interests: Iran ISNA 12 Apr 2011 -- Iran rejected Kuwait's recent allegations saying that the "baseless claims" only serve Zionist regime's interests.
- Iran calls for France to take back its uranium ISNA 11 Apr 2011 -- Iranian envoy to IAEA said France refuses to take back Iran's 50 tons of natural uranium kept in the European country.
- Iran confirms expulsion of Kuwaiti diplomats ISNA 11 Apr 2011 -- An Iranian Foreign Ministry official confirmed deportation of several Kuwaiti diplomats.
- Centrifuges of 2nd, 3rd generations tested successfully: official IRNA 09 Apr 2011 -- Head of Iran's Nuclear Energy Organization Fereydoun Abbasi said here on Saturday that centrifuges of the second and third generation have been tested successfully.
- President Ahmadinejad inaugurates 5th nuclear achievements festival IRNA 09 Apr 2011 -- Fifth nuclear festival marking the anniversary of national nuclear technology opened here on Saturday in the presence of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Bushehr power plant to go critical soon: Salehi IRNA 09 Apr 2011 -- Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi said here on Saturday that Bushehr power plant reactor will go critical between May 5-10.
- Iran produces uranium dioxide, runs production line of stable isotopes compounds ISNA 09 Apr 2011 -- Iran managed to produce uranium dioxide and operate production line stable isotopes compounds at Arak heavy- water complex.
- Iran tests third generation of centrifuges successfully ISNA 09 Apr 2011 -- Iran said on Saturday that it has tested the third generation of centrifuges successfully.
- Iraqi troops attack exiled Iranian armed group RIA Novosti 08 Apr 2011 -- At least 3 people were killed and many more injured in Friday's attack by Iraqi troops on a base of the People's Mujahedin of Iran (PMOI), an exiled Iranian armed organization, located to the north of Baghdad, doctors say.
- Iran fully confident about safety of Bushehr nuclear power plant IRNA 08 Apr 2011 -- The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) News Agency announced on Friday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is fully confident about safety of its Bushehr nuclear power plant.
- Bushehr nuke plant being reloaded with fuel - Russian contractor RIA Novosti 08 Apr 2011 -- The reactor at Iran's Bushehr Power Plant is being loaded with nuclear fuel again after an inspection and a clean-up of the reactor and the plant's circulation piping, Russia's Atomstroyexport company said on Friday.
- New Environmental Radiation Surveillance Station Opened in Iran KCNA 08 Apr 2011 -- Iran inaugurated a new environmental radiation surveillance station as part of its broader plans for expanding the country's nuclear emergency alert systems.
- New cruise missile production line to be launched: Vahidi IRNA 07 Apr 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said here on Thursday that a new production line of cruise missile will be launched in the current Iranian calendar year.
- Iran, Russia discuss Afghanistan issues IRNA 06 Apr 2011 -- Iranian and Russian representatives discussed bilateral, regional and international developments, the issue of war-torn Afghanistan in particular, here on Wednesday.
- Ahmadinejad: Obama Admin did not use chance provided by Iran IRNA 05 Apr 2011 -- IRI President said here Monday only chance for US administration was improving relations with Iran to find chance to survive, we provided opportunity for them to do; they wasted it since cannot decide freely and Zionists reign their power.
- Iran says no probability for seizure of more ships ISNA 05 Apr 2011 -- The Chairman of Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL) Mohammad Hossein Dajmar said on Monday there is no probability for further seizure of Iranian ships due to sanctions.
- Iranian President and Ban discuss situation in the Arab world UN News Centre 04 Apr 2011 -- The recent political developments in the Middle East and North Africa, especially the situation in Libya, Bahrain and Yemen, have topped discussions between Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Ahmadinejad calls for UN's significant role in solving regional problems ISNA 04 Apr 2011 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said time is ripe for the UN to play a significant role in settlement of regional problems.
- Iran Slams Western 'Intervention' in Regional Conflicts VOA 04 Apr 2011 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad criticized the Obama administration on Monday, decrying what he called its 'interference' in Mideast affairs.
- Iran plans to join APSCO satellite-building project ISNA 03 Apr 2011 -- Iran intends to design and build a remote sensing satellite jointly with Asia-Pacific Space Cooperation Organization (APSCO) member states.
- Iran has overcome world arrogance pressures over nuclear program IRNA 03 Apr 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that Iran has overcome all the pressures exerted by the world arrogance over Iranian nuclear program.
- US dissatisfied with Muslim countries' close relations, says Iran ISNA 03 Apr 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said the US is not satisfied with close relations of Islamic countries.
- Funeral Renews Focus On Musavi, Karrubi House Arrests RFE/RL 01 Apr 2011 -- During the mass street demonstrations that followed Iran's disputed 2009 presidential vote, protesters warned of "Armageddon."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list