Iran Says It Has Detected Second Cyberattack
April 25, 2011
A senior military official says Iran has been hit by a second computer virus in a "cyberwar" waged by its enemies.
Gholamreza Jalali, head of civil defense, told the semi-official Mehr news agency that the new virus, called "Stars," was being investigated by experts.
He did not say what its target was or when and how it had been spotted.
Iran was hit by another computer virus, "Stuxnet," last year, reportedly designed to hurt Iran's controversial nuclear program.
Iran has blamed the United States and Israel -- which believe Iran is seeking nuclear weapons -- for the attack.
Jalali today said that the "Stuxnet" virus still posed a potential risk.
compiled from agency reports
Copyright (c) 2011. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|