Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2008 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Top Russian official says Iran's nuclear program is strictly peaceful RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2008 -- A senior Russian government official said on Wednesday after talks with the Iranian leadership that the Islamic Republic was not developing nuclear weapons.
- US Cites New Evidence of Iranian Support for Taliban VOA 30 Apr 2008 -- The Pentagon said Wednesday Iran is continuing to provide weapons and other material to Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan, in addition to its alleged continuing support for Shiite militias in Iraq
- US Report: Iran World's Most Significant Terrorism Sponsor VOA 30 Apr 2008 -- A U.S. State Department report says Iran remains the world's most significant state sponsor of terrorism, and that al-Qaida is regaining strength in enclaves in Pakistan
- Official Emphasizes Diplomacy as Best Means of Dealing With Iran AFPS 30 Apr 2008 -- Diplomacy remains the best course for dealing with Iran, Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell emphasized here today.
- Azerbaijan: Nuclear Cargo For Iran Remains Stuck At Border RFE/RL 30 Apr 2008 -- Authorities in Azerbaijan are demanding more complete documentation before they will release a consignment of Russian equipment destined for an Iranian nuclear power plant under construction at Bushehr.
- Iran's leader says cooperation with Russia aimed at stability RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2008 -- Iranian cooperation with Russia is aimed at ensuring regional stability and security, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Wednesday at a meeting with Russia's acting Security Council chief.
- Iran may soon get Russian Bushehr shipment held up in Azerbaijan RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2008 -- A decision on the Russian equipment for Iran's first nuclear plant that has been held up for over a month on the Azerbaijan-Iran border will be taken soon, an Azerbaijani deputy foreign minister said on Wednesday.
- Iran criticizes US for scapegoating others for Iraq policy failure IRNA 29 Apr 2008 -- Iranian Ambassador to United Nations dismissed "certain baseless allegations" made by representative of the United States at the Security Council meeting against Iran on April 28.
- Iranian Security Council head hails talks with Russian delegation RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2008 -- The secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council hailed on Tuesday the results of talks with a Russian government official as positive and constructive.
- Iran says UN should stay out of nuclear cargo row with Azerbaijan RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2008 -- The dispute over a Russian equipment delivery for Iran's first nuclear plant, detained last month by Azerbaijani customs officials, must be resolved without the UN, Iran's envoy to Baku said on Tuesday.
- Iran dismisses allegations over Iraq meddling, arms supply IRNA 28 Apr 2008 -- Iran on Monday dismissed as "illusive allegations" made by certain Iraqi and US officials over arms supply to Iraqi insurgents.
- Russia reassures over security talks with Iran RIA Novosti 28 Apr 2008 -- A Russian government official issued a statement on Monday reassuring Iran's critics that ongoing security consultations between Russia and Iran are of a peaceful nature, and do not threaten any other countries.
- Russia says talks with Iran no cause for concern RIA Novosti 28 Apr 2008 -- Ongoing talks between Russia and Iran are of a peaceful nature and do not threaten any other countries, a Russian government official said on Monday.
- Iran Discusses 'Serious' Nuclear Proposals With Russia VOA 28 Apr 2008 -- Iran's top national security official held talks Monday with the acting secretary of Russia's National Security Council aimed to defuse international concerns about Tehran's nuclear program.
- Iran: US unlikely to risk another peril IRNA 27 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Ministry Mohammad Ali Hosseini said on Sunday that it is unlikely the US dare to enter into another war.
- IAEA does not want to inquire into alleged studies separately IRNA 27 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations nuclear agency does not want to inquire into Iran's "alleged studies" separately as it declared that there was no evidence in this connection, a senior Iranian official said on Sunday.
- Iran: Conservatives Extend Control After Parliamentary Runoffs RFE/RL 27 Apr 2008 -- Iranian conservatives have consolidated their control of the country's legislature in runoff elections
- Iran Says US Attack Unlikely Due to Iraq, Afghanistan Problems VOA 27 Apr 2008 -- Iran says a U.S. attack on the Islamic Republic is unlikely because the American military is bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Iran's conservatives strengthen control over parliament RIA Novosti 26 Apr 2008 -- Iran's conservatives have strengthened their majority in parliament, winning 52 of the 82 seats being contested in a run-off, national election authorities said.
- Top US Officer Says Iran Increasing Support for Iraqi Shiite Insurgents VOA 25 Apr 2008 -- The senior U.S. military officer said Friday the United States must maintain the option of using military force to end Iran's support for Shiite insurgents in Iraq, but he said other means, economic and diplomatic, should be used for now
- Iranians Vote in Parliamentary Run-Off, Conservatives Favored VOA 25 Apr 2008 -- Iranians voted Friday in parliamentary run-off elections, with conservatives expected to win the majority of the seats up for grabs
- Halting Russian nuclear parcel's export to Iran a customs issue - Envoy IRNA 25 Apr 2008 -- Iran's Ambassador to Azerbaijan Republic said here Friday halting process of exporting a Russian nuclear parcel in this republic is due to a technical and custom clearance reason.
- Parliament to survey bill on chemical weapons ban treaty this week IRNA 25 Apr 2008 -- Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission is scheduled to survey a bill on treaty to ban proliferation, production, storage and usage of chemical weapons, and the need for destroying them.
- Iran says NPP cargo seizure 'technical problem' RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2008 -- Iran regards the decision by Azerbaijan to seize equipment en route from Russia to the Iranian Bushehr nuclear power plant nearly a month ago as "a technical problem," Iran's envoy said Friday.
- Iran votes in parliamentary elections runoff RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2008 -- Polling stations opened across Iran at 8:00 a.m. local time (03.30 GMT) Friday for the second round of parliamentary elections, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported.
- IAEA to visit Tehran for further nuke talks April 28 RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2008 -- A delegation from the international nuclear watchdog will arrive in Tehran on April 28 to continue negotiations started earlier this week on the Islamic Republic's nuclear program, the IRNA news agency reported on Friday.
- News Analysis: Firing Tightens Iranian President's Economic Circle RFE/RL 24 Apr 2008 -- For some 33 months, as Iran's economy minister, he was either silent or supported the president's economic policies.
- US Officials Face Tough Questions from Lawmakers on Iran Policy VOA 24 Apr 2008 -- Bush administration officials defended U.S. policy toward Iran before skeptical members of the U.S. Senate Thursday
- Nuclear weapon has no place in Iran's doctrine: Hosseini IRNA 24 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Mohammad- Ali Hosseini said here Wednesday that pursuance of nuclear weapons has no place in Iran's doctrine.
- US calls for restoration of talks on Iraq: Hosseini IRNA 24 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Mohammad- Ali Hosseini said here Wednesday that Iran has received the US official request to resume talks on Iraqi security.
- FM urges withdrawal of foreign forces from Iraq IRNA 24 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said here Wednesday that time is ripe for presenting a timetable for withdrawal of foreign forces from Iraq.
- ElBaradei: Iran's decision for cooperation with IAEA a milestone IRNA 23 Apr 2008 -- Head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Mohamed ElBaradei said Wednesday that Iran's decision to have more cooperation with the IAEA is a milestone.
- Iran urges Russia to resolve problem with NPP cargo seizure RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2008 -- Iran on Wednesday urged a Russian company building a nuclear power plant in the Islamic Republic to resolve a recent problem with Azerbaijan over the seizure of a shipment for the Bushehr plant.
- Iran president says ready for talks on nuclear problem RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2008 -- Iran is prepared to try and reach an agreement with any country over its nuclear program, but will not stop its development of peaceful atomic energy, the Islamic Republic's president said on Wednesday.
- IAEA Says Iran Agrees to Clarify Nuclear Activity VOA 23 Apr 2008 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency says Iran has agreed to cooperate in clarifying whether it has tried to develop nuclear weapons.
- Iran, IAEA end 2-day of talks on remaining problems IRNA 22 Apr 2008 -- Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency ended their two-day closed-door talks on Tuesday.
- Talks with IAEA delegation continues IRNA 22 Apr 2008 -- The negotiations between top UN watchdog official Olli Heinonen and Iranian officials on the country's peaceful nuclear program continued for the second day.
- IAEA deputy chief in second day of talks on Iran nuclear program RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2008 -- A top official from the international nuclear watchdog, who is in Tehran on a two-day visit, started the second round of negotiations Tuesday on Iran's nuclear program.
- Russian firm says Baku not requested info on Iran NPP cargo RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2008 -- A Russian company building a nuclear power plant in Iran said Tuesday it had not received any official request for information from Azerbaijan about a shipment seized on the Azerbaijani-Iranian border.
- Iranian-IAEA delegations begin talks in Tehran IRNA 21 Apr 2008 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Deputy Head for Safeguards Agreement Olli Heinonen and Iranian nuclear negotiators started negotiations in Tehran Monday afternoon.
- IAEA deputy chief discusses Iran's nuclear program RIA Novosti 21 Apr 2008 -- A top official from the international nuclear watchdog, who arrived in Tehran Monday morning on a two-day visit, has started the first round of negotiations on Iran's nuclear program.
- No secret nuclear activity in Iran - Hosseini IRNA 20 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, said on Sunday that Iran has no secret or confidential nuclear activity and that the entire program is under supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Iran Rejects Nuclear Weapon Accusations Ahead of IAEA Visit VOA 20 Apr 2008 -- Iran has again rejected U.S. and British accusations that it is trying to develop nuclear weapons, a day before the visit from a top U.N. nuclear agency official.
- Iran denounces US wrong policies in Iraq, blaming others IRNA 20 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, on Sunday denounced US blaming others for its wrong policies in Iraq.
- IAEA 's deputy chief to visit Tehran Monday: Official IRNA 18 Apr 2008 -- A concerned official said the IAEA deputy chief Olli Heinonen will visit Tehran on Monday April 21, 2008.
- Iran's army most powerful in region, on earth - commander IRNA 18 Apr 2008 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic Army Major General Ayatollah Salehi said here Friday that Iran's army has gained highest level of progress in the scientific, military and educational domains and is now one of the most powerful armies both in the region and on earth.
- IAEA deputy chief to discuss Iran's nuclear program on April 21 RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2008 -- A top official from the international nuclear watchdog will arrive in Tehran on a two-day visit on April 21 to discuss Iran's nuclear program, IRNA news agency said on Friday.
- Bush, British PM to Push for New Iran Sanctions VOA 17 Apr 2008 -- U.S. President Bush and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown say they are working to extend sanctions against Iran's nuclear program
- Iran pursuing nuclear program for peaceful purposes IRNA 17 Apr 2008 -- Iran is pursuing the nuclear program only for the peaceful purposes and it has always followed the regulations of the IAEA in utilizing the atomic energy for peaceful ends, a senior Iranian diplomat has said.
- No world power dares to threaten Iran's security: Ahmadinejad IRNA 17 Apr 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday that no world power dares to threaten security and national interests of the Iranian nation.
- Iran's Army powerful deterrent to enemies: president IRNA 17 Apr 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday that Iran's Army was a powerful deterrent to all enemies.
- Iran's president shows off military strength at paradeRIA Novosti 17 Apr 2008 -- At a military parade Thursday the Islamic Republic's president told troops that Iran had become a powerful nation and no world authority could threaten its security.
- IAEA Chief Says Iranian Progress on Centrifuges Slow VOA 17 Apr 2008 -- The head of the U.N. nuclear agency says Iran continues to build centrifuges to enrich uranium in defiance of sanctions, but he emphasized that Tehran's progress has been slow.
- Captured UK sailors were not in Iraqi waters, documents confirm IRNA 17 Apr 2008 -- Fifteen British sailors and marines captured by Iran last year were not in Iraq's maritime territory as the UK government claimed, official documents released under the Freedom of Information Act confirm.
- Iran: Beijing, In Diplomatic Gamble, Hosts Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 16 Apr 2008 -- For the first time, China has hosted talks on Iran's controversial nuclear program. The gathering in Shanghai of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, plus Germany, discussed whether to offer more incentives to Iran to curb its uranium-enrichment program.
- UN sanctions 'good' for Iran economy - vice president RIA Novosti 16 Apr 2008 -- Sanctions imposed on Iran over its "peaceful nuclear activities" have not affected the country's economy, but rather stimulated foreign investment, the Islamic Republic's first vice president said on Wednesday.
- Nuclear mediators meet to discuss incentives for Iran RIA Novosti 16 Apr 2008 -- Six countries mediating in the nuclear dispute with Iran will meet in Shanghai on Wednesday to discuss new incentives for Tehran to suspend its uranium enrichment program.
- Iran Talks Fail to Reach Consensus on Nuclear Issue VOA 16 Apr 2008 -- Major powers meeting in China to discuss the Iran nuclear issue, ended their latest round of talks without agreement on a new proposal aimed at re-starting stalled talks with Tehran.
- China in Delicate Balance on Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 16 Apr 2008 -- China is for the first time hosting talks on Iran's nuclear programs.
- Analysis: Iran's Power Brokers cfr.org 15 Apr 2008 -- Amid another round of crisis diplomacy on Iran's nuclear program, Russia and China appear to hold ever more potent cards.
- Iran warns it will 'wipe out' Israel if attacked RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2008 -- A senior Iranian commander warned on Tuesday that his military will wipe Israel off the world map if the Zionists attack the Islamic Republic.
- Iran: Official Explanation Of Deadly Mosque Explosion Questioned RFE/RL 14 Apr 2008 -- Two days after a deadly explosion at a mosque in one of Iran's largest cities, controversy has erupted over the cause of the blast.
- President: Iran to put nuclear know-how at disposal of all nations IRNA 14 Apr 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad here on Monday expressed Iran's readiness to put its expertise on peaceful nuclear technology at disposal of all nations within the framework of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) regulations.
- Tehran rejects any proposal not securing its rights: Hosseini IRNA 13 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, said on Sunday that Tehran rejects any proposal or incentive in return for securing rights of the Iranian nation.
- US Navy Ship Encounters Iranian Speed Boats in Gulf VOA 11 Apr 2008 -- U.S. Navy officials say a U.S. ship encountered three small Iranian speed boats Thursday in the Persian Gulf.
- NATO: Kyiv, Tbilisi Face More NATO Obstacles Than Simply Russian Resistance RFE/RL 11 Apr 2008 -- Days before the NATO summit in Bucharest began, Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili rolled out a new peace initiative for breakaway Abkhazia.
- 3 164-machine sets from 2nd series of 3,000 centrifuges in motion - source IRNA 11 Apr 2008 -- Three 164-machine cascades for a total of 3,000 second series centrifuges are operating in Natanz, said an informed official on Friday.
- Iran ready for nuclear negotiations - Rafsanjani IRNA 11 Apr 2008 -- Provisional Friday Prayer Leader of Tehran said here in his second sermon Iran paves a peaceful path in its legal nuclear activities that are approved by the Agency, and all the same, Tehran is ready for resuming nuclear negotiations.
- Saeedi: No end to Iran's nuclear program IRNA 11 Apr 2008 -- An Iranian nuclear official said here Friday that no end can be envisioned for Iran's nuclear program because nuclear technology worldwide is getting progress daily.
- Iran revisits intl. enrichment consortium idea RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2008 -- Iran has reiterated its call for an international uranium enrichment center to be established on its soil, a deputy head of the country's atomic energy organization said on Friday.
- Hosseini: US concept about realities in Iraq erroneous IRNA 09 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said on Wednesday that the report issued by the top US general General David Petraeus and Ambassador to Baghdad Ryan Crocker to the Senate Armed Services and Foreign Relations committees indicated that they have wrong concept about the realities and factual developments in war-shattered Iraq.
- Iran prefers negotiations to preserve its rights IRNA 09 Apr 2008 -- Senior Presidential Advisor Mojtaba Samareh Hashemi said on Tuesday that Iran prefers to hold bilateral or multilateral talks to uphold justice and remove tyranny.
- President: Iran's peaceful nuclear program belongs to all humanity IRNA 09 Apr 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that Iran's nuclear program belongs to all humanity.
- Iran: 'Skepticism In Order' On Claims Of Nuclear Progress RFE/RL 09 Apr 2008 -- President Mahmud Ahmadinejad says Iran is beginning to install 6,000 additional centrifuges to accelerate the pace of its uranium-enrichment program, which could lead to the eventual tripling of Iran's capacity to produce nuclear fuel or -- at higher levels of enrichment -- fissile material for nuclear weapons.
- Iran claims tests of new advanced uranium enrichment centrifuges RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2008 -- Iran has begun tests of advanced uranium enrichment centrifuges, a deputy head of the Islamic Republic's Atomic Energy Organization said on Wednesday.
- Iran to build second enrichment plant by March 2009 RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2008 -- Iran will build another uranium enrichment facility by next March, a deputy head of the country's nuclear energy organization said on Wednesday.
- Iran Announces Installation of More Centrifuges at Uranium Enrichment Plant VOA 08 Apr 2008 -- Iran's President Mahmoud Ahamadinejad announced on Tuesday that Iran is installing 6,000 new centrifuges at an uranium enrichment plant
- China has not reported on Iran's nuclear activities to IAEA IRNA 08 Apr 2008 -- Chinese Assistant Foreign Minister for West Asia and North Africa Affairs Zhai Jun said on Tuesday that Beijing has not passed any information to IAEA on Iran's nuclear activities.
- Iran Threatens Iraq's Stability, Officials Say AFPS 08 Apr 2008 -- The recent spike in violence in southern Iraq highlights the destructive role Iran has played in funding, training, arming and directing extremist "special groups" in Iraq and generates renewed concern about Iran's influence in the country, the top U.S. commander in Iraq said today.
- President: Nuclear achievements herald comprehensive progress IRNA 08 Apr 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in central Iran on Tuesday that present achievements of Iranian scientists in the field of peaceful nuclear technology would lead to major progress in domestic industries.
- Iran starts installation 6,000 new centrifuges: Ahmadinejad IRNA 08 Apr 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced that Iran started installation of some 6,000 new centrifuges on Tuesday.
- Iran starts to install 6,000 enrichment centrifuges - Ahmadinejad RIA Novosti 08 Apr 2008 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic had started to install another 6,000 uranium enrichment centrifuges at its underground facility in Natanz, Iranian TV said.
- China to Host International Meeting on Iran VOA 08 Apr 2008 -- The Chinese government says it hopes the Iranian nuclear issue can be resolved through peaceful dialogue
- Iran proposes missile shield against U.S., Israel RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2008 -- Iran's defense minister said on Monday the world needs a missile shield to protect against threats from Israel and the United States.
- Hosseini affirms Iran's peace efforts in Iraq IRNA 07 Apr 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, said here on Monday that Iraqi stability and security is Iran's first priority and Tehran plays its role in that regard.
- Iran concerned over Iraq's situation: Rafsanjani IRNA 07 Apr 2008 -- Chairman of the Expediency Council, Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, on Sunday evening voiced Tehran's grave concern over Iraq's situation.
- Iran receives US official note to hold talks on Iraq: Hosseini IRNA 07 Apr 2008 -- Iran has received an official note from the US officials to hold the fourth round of talks on Iraq, Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, said on Monday.
- Tehran, Washington may soon hold new talks on Iraqi security RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2008 -- Iran is studying a U.S. proposal to hold a fourth round of talks on Iraqi security in the near future, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Monday.
- Iran's missile capability is defensive, minister IRNA 07 Apr 2008 -- Iranian Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najar said on Monday that Iranian missile capability is completely defensive and only against the aggressors.
- New nuclear news to be announced on National Nuclear Day IRNA 07 Apr 2008 -- Any news about the new generation of centrifuges would be announced on National Nuclear Day (April 8), Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, said on Monday.
- Iran to continue nuclear activities based on IAEA regulations IRNA 05 Apr 2008 -- Iran would continue its peaceful nuclear activities within frameworks of the UN nuclear watchdog's regulations and its safeguards, government spokesman, Gholam-hossein Elham said on Saturday.
- Iran to hold second 'Nuclear Technology Day' on April 8 RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2008 -- Iran will hold its second Nuclear Technology Day on April 8, during which the government will tout the country's new achievements in the nuclear sector.
- Iran Refuses to Halt Nuclear Work for Incentives VOA 05 Apr 2008 -- Iran says it will not halt work on its nuclear activities in exchange for incentives offered by the West.
- Russia to honor commitments to Iran on peaceful nuclear programs RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Russia will honor all its contractual commitments to develop peaceful nuclear programs in Iran, President Vladimir Putin told a news conference on Friday after a NATO-Russia Council session in Bucharest.
- Iran's president says uranium enrichment program non-negotiable RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Iran rejects any new incentives offered by world powers in return for suspending its nuclear enrichment program, the Islamic Republic's president said in an interview published on Friday.
- Iran accuses Bush of trying to destabilize Persian Gulf RIA Novosti 03 Apr 2008 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that U.S. President George W. Bush's latest remarks on the alleged military threat posed by Tehran are aimed at destabilizing the Persian Gulf region.
- Israel to Redistribute Gas Masks Amid Fears of War with Iran VOA 02 Apr 2008 -- Israel is strengthening security on its home front in a sign of war jitters
- IRGC commander expects great achievements in missile industry IRNA 02 Apr 2008 -- Commander-in-Chief of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Mohammad-Ali Ja'fari on Wednesday expressed hope that the country will witness great achievements in defense industries particularly in the missile, naval and air sectors.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list