Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2011 - Iran Special Weapons News
- US seeks to represent Afghans incapable to run country: Iran envoy ISNA 31 Jul 2011 -- Iranian ambassador to Afghanistan Fada Hossein Maleki said serial murders of Afghan military commanders and political leaders show the US scenario to represent Afghans as insufficient.
- Iran says Afghanistan-US security deal dangerous for world ISNA 31 Jul 2011 -- The Head of Afghanistan office of Iranian Foreign Ministry Mohsen Pak-Aein said Afghanistan-US security deal is dangerous for the region and the world.
- Iran strongly criticizes IAEA director-general for anti-Iran remarks IRNA 31 Jul 2011 -- Iran on Sunday strongly criticized Director-General of International Atomic Energy Agency Yukiya Amano for his anti-Iran statement at Conference on Disarmament in Matsumoto city of Japan.
- Washington's Linkage Of Iran And Al-Qaeda Could Have Consequences For Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 29 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. government has accused Iran of permitting Al-Qaeda operatives to funnel a substantial amount of money through its territory to their leaders in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Iranian Navy frees Hoda cargo ship in successful anti-piracy operation IRNA 29 Jul 2011 -- The Iranian Navy fleet have saved Iranian Hoda cargo ship against a pirate attack in the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait.
- U.S. missile shield may be precursor for Iran attack RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2011 -- Russia's envoy to NATO said that the US might use the European missile defense project as preparation for an attack on Iran.
- U.S. Accuses Iran Of Secret Deal With Al-Qaeda RFE/RL 28 Jul 2011 -- The US has accused Iran for the first time of a secret pact with Al-Qaeda under which the Islamic republic helps funnel cash, militants and weapons.
- Saudi experts can visit nuclear facilities: Iran ISNA 27 Jul 2011 -- Tehranís ambassador to Riyadh Mohammad Javad Mahallati said there is no impediment to Saudi Arabian experts to visit Iranís nuclear installations.
- Amid deadlock in UN disarmament forum, Ban suggests way forward UN News Centre 27 Jul 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban: World’s sole multilateral disarmament negotiating forum remains deadlocked and suggested ways to break the stalemate.
- Caspian Sea States On Course For Naval Arms Race RFE/RL 27 Jul 2011 -- Earlier this month, representatives of the countries that surround the Caspian Sea met in Moscow to discuss divvying up its ample natural resources.
- Iranian Exiles Say U.S. Failing To Help Wounded At Iraq Camp RFE/RL 27 Jul 2011 -- An exiled Iranian opposition group has criticized the US for not doing enough to help victims of clashes at a dissident camp.
- Iraq says not to allow PJAK, MKO to act ISNA 27 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi ambassador to Iran Majid al-Sheikh said his country would not allow PJAK and MKO to act inside the Arab country.
- IRGC will attack Pjak terrorists until Iraq deploys border guards IRNA 27 Jul 2011 -- Iranian border guards will attack Pjak terrorists operating on border until the Iraqi or Iraqi Kurdistan administration deploy troops.
- Iran says it confronts PJAK until deployment of Iraqi forces ISNA 27 Jul 2011 -- An Iranian senior military official said the guard forces would continue destructive and invasive operations against PJAK until deployment of Iraqi forces in borders.
- Iran: 23 Dead in Clash with Kurdish Rebels VOA 27 Jul 2011 -- Iran says a clash near the Iraqi border between its forces and Kurdish rebels has killed two Iranian Revolutionary Guards and 21 rebels.
- Iran guard deals another lethal blow to PJAK group ISNAt 27 Jul 2011 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps arrested and annihilated several teams of mobs and PJAK terrorist group in northwest Iran.
- Bushehr power plant hoped to become operational by late August IRNA 26 Jul 2011 -- Spokesman of the FM Mehmanparast expressed hope that Iran’s first nuclear power plant would be operational by the end of August.
- Iran says is in talks with Russia over plant launch date ISNA 26 Jul 2011 -- Iranian FM Spokesman Mehmanparast: Country is in talks with Russia to set a time for launch of Bushehr power plant.
- Iran says no suspect of student terror act arrested ISNA 26 Jul 2011 -- Iran has not arrested any suspect involved in assassination of the master student so far.
- Deaths Reported in Fighting Between Iran, Kurd Rebels VOA 26 Jul 2011 -- Iran says an unspecified number of militants with the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan (PJAK) have been killed, following clashes along the Iraqi border.
- IRGC launches fresh offensive operation against Pjak terrorists IRNA 26 Jul 2011 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps announced that units of IRGC ground forces launched fresh offensive against Pjak terrorist group.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Names Mediator In Power Struggle RFE/RL 26 Jul 2011 -- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is said to have appointed a mediator to resolve disputes within the government.
- Iranian Activists Decry Violence Against Women Amid Reported Gang Rapes RFE/RL 26 Jul 2011 -- Iranian women's rights activists and their supporters have issued a statement calling on authorities to put an end to "systematic violence against women."
- Iran minister says killed student not linked to nuclear work ISNA 25 Jul 2011 -- Iranian Intelligence Minister Heidar Moslehi said the assassinated student had not been linked to the country's nuclear program.
- Supreme Leader appoints Shahroudi to head arbitration board IRNA 25 Jul 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Khamenei appointed former Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Shahroudi to chair arbitration board to settle differences at the top three hierarchy of the executive, legislature and judiciary.
- IRAQ: Hundreds displaced by Iranian shelling IRIN 25 Jul 2011 -- Nearly 200 families have been displaced in Iraq’s self-ruled northern Kurdish region due to Iranian shelling since mid-July.
- Iran Shelling Kills 2 in Iraq's Kurdish Region VOA 25 Jul 2011 -- Cross-border shelling by Iranian forces has killed two people and wounded at least two others in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdish region.
- Iran should be officially informed of Lavrov's offer: Salehi ISNA 23 Jul 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said the country should be officially informed of Lavrov's offer on Iran's nuclear issue.
- Intelligence Ministry probing academic's assassination: Moslehi IRNA 24 Jul 2011 -- Intelligence Minister Heydar Moslehi said on Sunday that the assassination of Iranian post-graduate student, Dariush Rezainejad was a horrific crime which is seriously being pursued by the Intelligence Ministry.
- Ministry of Science deplores assassination of post-graduate student IRNA 24 Jul 2011 -- Ministry of Science, Research and Technology on Sunday deplored assassination of post-graduate student of Khajeh Nasir Toosi University of Technology.
- MPs blame US, Zionist regime for assassination of Iranian academic IRNA 24 Jul 2011 -- Some 200 Iranian MPs issued a statement on Sunday to condemn the recent dastardly assassination of an Iranian academic.
- Majlis speaker condemns assassination of Iranian elite IRNA 24 Jul 2011 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani Sunday condemned the assassination of a post graduate student of Tehran's Khajeh Nasir Toosi University of Technology.
- Iranians to push back any military, political power: Supreme Leader IRNA 23 Jul 2011 -- The Iranian natioin would push back any political and military power forcing them to withdraw, Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Saturday.
- Terrorists assassinate a scientist in Tehran IRNA 23 Jul 2011 -- Terrorists gunned down a scientist here on Saturday afternoon and injured his wife.
- Iran denies reports on shooting down US drone ISNA 23 Jul 2011 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) rejected reports that it had shot down a US drone over the under-construction Fordo nuclear site in central part of the country.
- Iran summons German Chargé d'Affaires ISNA 23 Jul 2011 -- Iran summoned German Chargé d'Affaires due to acts of PJAK terrorist group's mastermind in the European country.
- Iranian Commander Killed in Clashes with Kurdish Rebels VOA 22 Jul 2011 -- Iran says a Revolutionary Guards commander and five force members have been killed in clashes with Kurdish rebels in the northwest.
- Ahmadinejad: Reciprocal Steps Could Resolve Nuclear Dispute VOA 21 Jul 2011 -- President Ahmadinejad says Iran is prepared to take steps to resolve its nuclear dispute with the West.
- Ahmadinejad: Tehran has already taken one step toward IAEA IRNA 21 Jul 2011 -- President Ahmadinejad stressed that Iran has already taken one step toward the International Atomic Energy Organization.
- UN agency foresees increased collaboration with Iran in fight against drugs UN News Centre 21 Jul 2011 -- The head of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime met today with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- US Denies Losing Drone in Iran VOA 20 Jul 2011 -- The U.S. has denied an Iranian report that the country's Revolutionary Guard shot down a U.S. drone.
- Iran Claims It Shot Down US Spy Plane VOA 20 Jul 2011 -- An Iranian lawmaker says Iran's Revolutionary Guard has shot down an unmanned U.S. spy plane.
- Iranian Report Claims U.S. Spy Plane Shot Down Over Nuclear Site RFE/RL 20 Jul 2011 -- A state-run website in Iran says the country's Revolutionary Guards have shot down an unmanned U.S. spy plane.
- Iranian Incursion Into Iraqi Kurdistan Keeps Regional Players Guessing RFE/RL 20 Jul 2011 -- Days after Tehran sent a large contingent into Iraqi Kurdistan, the Iranians were claiming a resounding victory.
- Iran attacks PJAK base, kills terrorists ISNA 20 Jul 2011 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps attacked PJAK group's base, killing many members of the terrorist group.
- Iran Says It Is Installing 'Speedier' Nuclear Centrifuges RFE/RL 19 Jul 2011 -- Iran says it is installing new centrifuges with "better quality and speed" to enrich uranium at its nuclear facilities.
- FM spokesman: Iran installing new generation of centrifuges IRNA 19 Jul 2011 -- FM spokesman Mehmanparast said Iran was installing a new generation of centrifuges in its nuclear facilities.
- Iran says it informed IAEA of installing new centrifuges ISNA 19 Jul 2011 -- Iranian FM Spokesman Mehmanparast said the country had informed the IAEA of installing new centrifuges.
- Iran to investigate Lavrov's nuclear offer: FM Spokesman ISNA 19 Jul 2011 -- Iranian FM Spokesman Mehmanparast said the country would investigate Sergei Lavrov's proposal upon receiving.
- Iran and Afghanistan to cooperate on campaign against terrorism IRNA 19 Jul 2011 -- Presidents of Iran and Afghanistan in a phone talk expressed disgust against terrorism, emphasizing need for cooperation to solve the problem.
- Iran, Afghanistan emphasize confronting terrorism ISNA 19 Jul 2011 -- Iran and Afghanistan stressed joint cooperation to confront terrorism.
- IRGC: Guard Corps operations to continue till Pejak's full annihilation IRNA 19 Jul 2011 -- Islamic Republic Guard Corps Infantry Commander emphasized IRGC pursuit and suppression operations against Pejak will continue till their full annihilation.
- Iran says it pursues, punishes PJAK terrorist cell ISNA 19 Jul 2011 -- The commander of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said pursuit and punishment of PJAK terrorist cell would continue.
- Iran has strong presence in int'l waters- commander IRNA 19 Jul 2011 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said that the dispatch of 14 Iranian fleets to international waters during the past two years indicated the great strength of the Islamic Republic’s naval forces.
- IRGC Says Iran Controls Kurdish Rebel Camps In Iraq RFE/RL 18 Jul 2011 -- A commander for Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps: Iranian forces have taken "full control" of three PJAK camps inside Iraq.
- Iran Guard Claims Control of Opposition Bases on Border VOA 18 Jul 2011 -- Iranian Revolutionary Guards are in control of three bases of an Iranian Kurdish opposition group along the border of neighboring Iraq.
- IRGC destroys PJAK cell in NW Iran IRNA 17 Jul 2011 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) managed to destroy the biggest compound of anti-revolutionary forces and PJAK terrorist group in this northwestern Iranian city late Saturday.
- Iran lawmakers reject Russia's nuclear proposals RIA Novosti 16 Jul 2011 -- Iranian lawmakers on Saturday dismissed Russia's 'step-by-step' approach on Iran's nuclear program as a bid to revive Moscow's own political influence in the region, Press TV reported.
- Exit Interview: Eikenberry On Tensions With Karzai, Iran's Influence, And The Security Transition RFE/RL 15 Jul 2011 -- The outgoing U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, Karl Eikenberry, is a relative newcomer to the world of diplomacy.
- Iran: New generation of vessels, submarines planned IRNA 15 Jul 2011 -- Minister of Defense Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi says new models of vessels and submarines are on the way.
- Iran: IAEA should announce previous ambiguities have been resolved IRNA 14 Jul 2011 -- IRI FM stressed in talks with IAEA chief that agency must announce to world its 6 former ambiguities have been fully resolved.
- Russia Lays Out 'Step-By-Step' Approach On Iran RFE/RL 14 Jul 2011 -- Russia says a step-by-step approach should be used to end international doubts over Iran's nuclear program.
- Iran Rejects US Claims of Role in Iraq Attacks VOA 13 Jul 2011 -- Iran has dismissed U.S. claims that Tehran is arming insurgents who have played a role in attacks on American soldiers in Iraq.
- No Iranian injured in Karbala bombings ISNA 13 Jul 2011 -- No Iranian pilgrim was injured in bombings in Karbala, said representative of Iranian Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization to Iraq.
- Iraqi ambassador: Iraq to expel terrorist MKO refugees soon IRNA 13 Jul 2011 -- Iraqi Ambassador to Tehran Mohammad Majid al-Sheikh: Mujahedeen Khalq Organization refugees in Iraq will be expelled by the end of year.
- In Iran, Segregation Divide Pits President Against Religious Conservatives RFE/RL 13 Jul 2011 -- A simply drawn map making the rounds on social media depicts Iran divided into two provinces.
- Iran, UN Watchdog Appear Deadlocked on Nuclear Dispute VOA 12 Jul 2011 -- Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency appear to remain deadlocked in a dispute over the Iranian nuclear program.
- IAEA statement concerning meeting between Amano and Salehi IRNA 12 Jul 2011 -- IAEA issued a statement concerning meeting between Director General of the Agency Yukiya Amano and Iran's FM Salehi.
- Iran FM holds private talks with IAEA chief in Vienna IRNA 12 Jul 2011 -- Iran’s FMr Salehi held talks with Director General of the UN International Atomic Energy Agency Yukiya Amano in Vienna.
- Austrian FM: EU is ready to restart talks on Iran's nuclear program IRNA 12 Jul 2011 -- Austrian FM and Deputy Chancellor Spindelegger: Catherine Ashton EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and 3+3 group are ready to restart Iran’s nuclear talks.
- Iran, IAEA agree to hold talks based on modality ISNA 12 Jul 2011-- Iran and the IAEA agreed to hold talks based on modality plan to resolve issues.
- Salehi: Iran never gives up its nuclear rights IRNA 12 Jul 2011 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi: Islamic Republic of Iran will never give up its legitimate nuclear rights while remaining committed to its international commitments.
- FM: Iran-IAEA ties in best possible level IRNA 11 Jul 2011 -- Foreign Minister, Ali-Akbar Salehi, said on Monday that the Iran-IAEA relations are in the best possible level.
- Panetta Says U.S. Forces Attack Iraqi Shi'ite Insurgents RFE/RL 11 Jul 2011 -- US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says US troops are carrying out operations against Iranian-backed Shi'ite insurgents in Iraq.
- US Defense Chief Concerned About Iranian Weapons in Iraq VOA 11 Jul 2011 -- US Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta says the United States is very concerned about Iran providing weapons to militants in Iraq.
- Iran says Saudi purchase of tanks not to pose any threat ISNA 11 Jul 2011 -- Acting Chief of Iran's Armed Forces Gholam Ali Rashid said on Monday the tanks bought by Saudi Arabia from Germany do not pose any threat to our country.
- Iran test-fires 2 missiles to Indian Ocean- commander IRNA 09 Jul 2011 -- Iran has successfully test-fired two missiles into the mouth of the Indian Ocean about five months ago, IRGC Aerospace Division Commander Brigadier General Amir-Ali Hajizadeh said Saturday.
- Secretary Clinton Statement on Holding Iranian Human Rights Abusers Accountable US Dept. of State 08 Jul 2011
- U.S., U.K., Canada Step Up Travel Curbs On Iran RFE/RL 08 Jul 2011 -- US Secretary of State Clinton says new sanctions on Iran are "an important reminder to Iran."
- Iran's First Postrevolutionary President Talks About Power Struggle RFE/RL 08 Jul 2011 -- Supreme Leader Khamenei has tasked a committee with looking into "legal violations" committed by the government.
- U.S. Concerned Over Religious Persecution In Iran RFE/RL 07 Jul 2011 -- The United States has expressed dismay over reports an Iranian may face the death penalty over his religious beliefs.
- Family Concerned Over Health Of Iranian Opposition Leader, Wife RFE/RL 07 Jul 2011 -- The mother of opposition figure Zahra Rahnavard has reportedly been under house arrest for the past five months.
- Supporters Say Jailed Iranian Cleric In Poor Health RFE/RL 07 Jul 2011 -- Some followers of dissident Iranian cleric Ayatollah Hossein Kazemeyni Boroujerdi say his health has further deteriorated in prison.
- Iran Fires Missiles at Sea Near Strait of Hormuz VOA 06 Jul 2011 -- Iran announced it had successfully test-fired several anti-ship missiles at sea as part of a 10-day military exercise that began last week.
- Iran tests indigenous anti-ship missiles in Gulf drills RIA Novosti 06 Jul 2011 -- Iran tested domestically-designed anti-ship missiles as part of annual large-scale military exercises in the Persian Gulf.
- Iran wraps up missile maneuver IRNA 06 Jul 2011 -- The second and last phase of Iran’s missile maneuver codenamed ‘Great Prophet VI’ ended after the targeted objectives were achieved.
- Iran successfully test fires indigenous missiles ISNA 06 Jul 2011 -- Iran successfully tested fired up-graded, radar-evading and smart missiles on Wednesday as it wrapped up Great Prophet 6 war game.
- Bahrain Sentences 3 for Spying, Reportedly for Iran VOA 06 Jul 2011 -- A Bahraini criminal court has sentenced three people to prison for spying, reports say on behalf of Iran.
- Iran deplores Israeli failure to free Iranian diplomats IRNA 06 Jul 2011 -- Iran deplored Israeli failure to free four Iranian diplomats its agents kidnapped from Lebanon in 1982.
- Iranian submarine returns home ending surveillance mission IRNA 05 Jul 2011 -- Iranian 'Younes' submarine has returned home at the end of its first international mission which was completed successfully.
- Iran indigenous submarine returns home after mission in int'l waters ISNA 05 Jul 2011 -- Iranian "Younes" submarine, sent to international sea, returned home on Tuesday.
- Supreme Leader calls on rival parties to refrain from controversy IRNA 04 Jul 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei called on rival parties to refrain from controversy.
- NATO Parliamentary Assembly convenes with representative from Iran IRNA 04 Jul 2011 -- Special Group for the Mediterranean and the Middle East of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's Parliamentary Assembly convened with representative from the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- IRGC Navy equipped with modern equipment: Commander IRNA 03 Jul 2011 -- Commander of the Second Naval Region of the Islamic Revolution's Guards Corps (IRGC), Brigadier General Ali Razmjuo, said on Sunday that the IRGC forces are equipped with modern military equipment with the purpose of increasing Iran's defense capabilities.
- Defense minister refutes US allegations as baseless IRNA 02 Jul 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi here on Saturday strongly refuted as 'baseless' the repeated allegations made by U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates against the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list