Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2011 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Saudi Oil Threat To Iran Rings Hollow RFE/RL 29 Jun 2011 -- When Saudi Arabia's one-time intelligence supremo warned that Riyadh was considering using its vast oil wealth as a weapon against neighboring Iran, it appeared that the lingering cold war between the two rival Gulf powers was about to heat up.
- Iran says does not accept UN special rapporteur on human rights IRNA 28 Jun 2011 -- Iran said on Tueday that it does not accept UN special rapporteur on human rights while the United Nations Human Rights Council kept silent toward US human rights violations by waging wars in Iraq and Afghanistan which killed millions of innocent people.
- Iran capable of making missiles with over 2,000 km range IRNA 28 Jun 2011 -- Iran has the technology to manufacture missiles with over 2,000 km range, Aerospace Commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said Tuesday.
- Iran successfully test-fires 14 missiles during military drills IRNA 28 Jun 2011 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran successfully test fired 14 missiles during the second phase of the Great Prophet 6 War Game Tuesday morning.
- 1st phase of Great Prophet 6 Wargame staged successfully IRNA 27 Jun 2011 -- The first phase of the Great Prophet 6 Wargame, featuring unveiling of underground missile launch pad, was successfully carried out.
- Iran parliament plans to question Ahmadinejad over irregularities RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2011 -- One hundred members of Iran's 290-seat parliament have signed a motion to question President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad about a number of issues, Iran's Mehr news agency said on Monday.
- Supreme Leader receives Iraqi President Talabani IRNA 26 Jun 2011 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei received Iraqi President Jalal Talabani here on Saturday.
- IRGC to launch military maneuver on Monday IRNA 26 Jun 2011 -- Aerospace Commander of Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said that IRGC's missile maneuver of Great Prophet Mohammad-VI will start on Monday.
- US tactics clear manifestation of terrorism: Jalili IRNA 26 Jun 2011 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said that the US which is trying to intimidate nations using military, economic and media tactics is a clear manifestation of a terrorist.
- Supreme Leader: US major hurdle to Afghanistan security IRNA 25 Jun 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Saturday that continued presence of US forces in Afghanistan prevents restoration of security to the war-torn country.
- Supreme Leader: Fight against terrorism 'unavoidable responsibility' IRNA 25 Jun 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolutioin Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Saturday that the fight against the 'evil phenomenon of terrorism is an unavoidable responsibility' for all countries.
- Jalili calls for regional vigilance against interference IRNA 25 Jun 2011 -- Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili here on Saturday called on regional nations to remain vigilant against the interference of meddling forces in the region.
- Iran's President Ahmadinejad Could Face Impeachment RFE/RL 25 Jun 2011 -- In a single day earlier this week, the Iranian parliament dealt three blows to the presidency of Mahmud Ahmadinejad, who has become a political punching bag as the result of a continuing power struggle with Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
- Russia irked by new US anti-Iran sanctions IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Russian Foreign Ministry in a statement issued on Friday strongly questioned the new US sanctions imposed on three Iranian companies.
- Russia questions new U.S. sanctions against Iranian companies RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2011 -- Unilateral U.S. sanctions against a major Iranian port operator and the country's national airline raise serious questions.
- Amano: No difference on continued dialogue with Iran IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- The IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano welcomed dialogue with Iran, saying there is no difference of opinion on dialogue and talks with Iran.
- Soltanieh: IAEA Nuclear Safety Conference was of high significance IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Iran’s IAEA envoy Soltanieh, says Iran had a high-level representation in the IAEA Ministerial Conference on Nuclear Safety.
- China hopes for new round of talks between six world powers and Iran IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- China hoped to see a new round of talks between Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany.
- Iranian, Pakistani, Afghan presidents attend Trilateral meeting IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- A trilateral meeting was held between Iranian, Pakistani and Afghan presidents in Tehran.
- Iran Insists Nuclear Bomb Not on Agenda VOA 23 Jun 2011 -- Iran's president says Tehran is not interested in building a nuclear bomb, but will not be stopped by the West if it desires to create one.
- UN monitoring body encourages States' cooperation on Iranian sanctions UN News Centre 23 Jun 2011 -- Chair of the UN committee monitoring the arms embargo imposed on Iran encouraged Member States to cooperate with the world body.
- U.S. Sanctions Iran's National Airline RFE/RL 23 Jun 2011 -- The U.S. Treasury has said it has blacklisted a major Iranian port operator and the country's national airline, Iran Air.
- Iran Arrests Former Deputy Foreign Minister VOA 23 Jun 2011 -- Iranian media report the arrest of the former deputy foreign minister who resigned this week in a political spat.
- Ally Of Iranian President Arrested RFE/RL 23 Jun 2011 -- Iranian news agencies say a former member of President Mahmud Ahmadinejad's entourage has been arrested.
- Supreme Leader: Arms production in Iran seeks defensive purposes IRNA 22 Jun 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei: Arms production in Iran is aimed at defending the country.
- Iranian Officials Unhurt After Baghdad Attack VOA 22 Jun 2011 -- Iraqi officials say a series of shooting and bomb attacks in the capital, Baghdad, has killed one person and wounded about 30 others.
- Iran says visiting delegation in Iraq safe, sound ISNA 22 Jun 2011 -- Iranian ambassador to Iraq Hassan Danaei-Far said on Wednesday the visiting Iranian delegation in Iraq is safe and sound.
- Iran Says Oil Officials Attacked In Iraq RFE/RL 22 Jun 2011 -- Iran's Oil Ministry said that a visiting Iranian oil delegation was attacked by "terrorists" in Iraq on June 22 but were unharmed.
- Iran Nuclear Chief and IAEA Head Hold Talks VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Iran's nuclear energy chief and the head of the United Nations' nuclear watchdog have held talks on Iran's controversial nuclear program.
- Abbasi confers with Amano IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- Head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization Abbasi conferred with the Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency Yukiya Amano.
- Iran Atom Chief meeting with Amano useful: Soltanieh ISNA 21 Jun 2011 -- Iranian representative to the IAEA Soltanieh called meeting between the agency Chief Yukiya Amano and Iran's Atom chief Abbasi "positive."
- Iran to launch new satellites into space ISNA 21 Jun 2011 -- Iran said on Tuesday that it intends to send "Navid" and "Fajr" satellites into space by March 2012 and build "Rasad 2" satellite.
- Scholars Ponder Question: Why Not an Iran Spring? VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- Since the beginning of this year, a number of Arab states have experienced protests and calls for significant reforms.
- Iraqi committee to specify ways for MKO exit ISNA 21 Jun 2011 -- An Iraqi committee is to specify ways for terrorist MKO exit, said Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zabari.
- IAEA verifies Bushehr nuclear plant safety, says Iran ISNA 20 Jun 2011 -- The Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran has verified safety of the country's Bushehr nuclear power plant.
- Iran adopting legal procedure to accede to Nuclear Safety Convention IRNA 20 Jun 2011 -- Iranian VP and the head of AEOI Abbasi declared Iranian decision to adopt legal procedure for the accession to the Nuclear Safety Convention.
- Ahmadinejad says Iran to launch satellites 35,000 km away from earth ISNA 20 Jun 2011 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad: Country plans to launch bigger satellites to the altitude of 35,000 kilometers.
- Iran Sets Hearing Date for American Hikers VOA 20 Jun 2011 -- The Iranian lawyer for three American hikers accused of spying in Iran said the Tehran government has informed him of the date for his clients' new court hearing.
- First round of Iran-Afghanistan security talks held in Tehran IRNA 20 Jun 2011 -- The first round of Iran-Afghanistan joint security commission meeting was held in Tehran.
- Iran, Afghan defense ministers issue joint statement IRNA 19 Jun 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier-General Ahmad Vahidi and his Afghan counterpart General Abdul Rahim Wardak released a joint defense statement at the end of their second round of talks in Kabul.
- Iran's Rasad satellite sends 1st images from space IRNA 19 Jun 2011 -- First images have been received Sunday from Iran's Rasad satellite which was launched into orbit last Wednesday.
- Iran, Afghan defense ministers agree to develop military cooperation IRNA 18 Jun 2011 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier-General Ahmad Vahidi conferred on Saturday with his Afghan counterpart General Abdul Raheem Wardak on ways to expand military cooperation between the two countries.
- Iran says would help sustainable peace in Afghanistan ISNA 18 Jun 2011 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said the Islamic Republic of Iran would make efforts for establishment of sustainable peace and security in Afghanistan.
- Rasad Satellite turning around earth 29 times since launching IRNA 17 Jun 2011 -- Rasad (Observation) Satellite has turned around the earth about 29 times since launching on Wednesday, said an official at Iran Aerospace Organization here on Friday.
- 'Iran to launch three other satellites into space' IRNA 17 Jun 2011 -- Head of Iran's Space Agency Hamid Fazeli said on Thursday that his organization plans to launch three other research satellites into space.
- Iranian satellite Rasad launched successfully into earth orbit IRNA 15 Jun 2011 -- On auspicious birth anniversary night of Imam Ali ibn Abu-Taleb (P), pride-inspiring technicians of IRI Aerospace Org (IAO) successfully launched Iran's Rasad satellite into earth space Wednesday evening.
- FM spokesman refutes PGCC's repeated anti-Iran claims as unfounded IRNA 15 Jun 2011 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Wednesday refuted as unfounded the 'repeated claims and accusations' leveled against Iran by the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council (PGCC).
- Iran calls (P)GCC communiqué claims "unfounded" ISNA 15 Jun 2011 -- Iran denied Persian Gulf Cooperation Council (P)GCC ministerial meeting's statement as 'unfounded.'
- Iran: Military presence in Syria brings heavy consequences ISNA 14 Jun 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said on Tuesday military presence in Syria brings heavy consequences for the region.
- Iran Denies Role in Syria Crackdown VOA 14 Jun 2011 -- Iran has rejected allegations from Britain and the United States that it is helping Syria crack down on domestic opposition with advice, equipment, and training. Iran remains a key Syrian ally, with the two governments finding common ground on such issues as Israel, Lebanon and Iraq.
- Iran favors world free from nuclear weapons: Rahimi IRNA 14 Jun 2011 -- First Vice-President Mohammad Reza Rahimi said on Tuesday that the Iranian nation favors a world free from nuclear weapons.
- Iran sole regional country signing up to all disarmament treaties IRNA 13 Jun 2011 -- Deputy Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran Ali Bagheri said on Monday that Iran is the only country in the region that has signed up to all disarmament treaties.
- Iran calls for IAEA to detect Stuxnet agents ISNA 13 Jun 2011 -- Deputy Secretary of Iranian Supreme National Security Council Ali Bagheri called for the IAEA to detect agents involved Stuxnet computer worm plan.
- Silent Tehran Protesters Arrested On Anniversary Of Disputed Vote RFE/RL 13 Jun 2011 -- Arrests and clashes have been reported in Tehran on the anniversary of the disputed 2009 reelection of Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad that led to mass street protests.
- Iran successfully tests domestic air defense missiles RIA Novosti 13 Jun 2011 -- Iran has successfully tested on Sunday two domestically built air defense missiles, Xinhua said citing Iranian army commander.
- IAEA board breached charter by Iran referral to UN Security Council IRNA 12 Jun 2011 -- Ambassador and Permanent Representative to IAEA Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said on Sunday that the IAEA Board of Governors breached charter of the body by referral of Iranian nuclear program to the United Nations Security Council.
- US, biggest violator of NPT: Iran's FM IRNA 12 Jun 2011 -- Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi here on Sunday termed the United States as the biggest violator of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), adding the US is the only country that has used nuclear weapons against other states.
- Iran to transfer enrichment to Fordo site ISNA 12 Jun 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said on Sunday the country intends to transfer nuclear enrichment process to Fordo nuclear facility.
- Iran begins 2nd int'l nuclear Disarmament Conference ISNA 12 Jun 2011 -- Iran kicked off the second International Nuclear Disarmament Conference on Sunday in presence of officials and representatives of over 40 countries.
- Nukes, apparent crime against humanity: Iran FM Deputy ISNA 12 Jun 2011 -- Employment of nuclear weapons is apparent crime against humanity, said Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Mohammad Mehdi Akhound-Zadeh on Sunday.
- Iran urges chemical weapons annihilation by late April 2012 ISNA 12 Jun 2011 -- Iran called for annihilation of chemical weapons by April 29, 2012.
- In Age Of Arab Revolution, Iran's Election Anniversary Set To Go Off With A Whimper RFE/RL 11 Jun 2011 -- Two years ago, it threatened to trigger a wave of dissent that would reverberate around the Middle East and beyond. (...) Yet on June 12, with much of the region in a state of revolutionary ferment, the second anniversary of Iran's bitterly disputed presidential election is likely to pass off as little more than a footnote.
- Alleged Iranian Agent Infiltrated Opposition RFE/RL 10 Jun 2011 -- Iran's Intelligence Ministry has claimed it infiltrated the Iranian opposition outside the country.
- UNSC extends mandate of watchdog panel on Iranian sanctions UN News Centre 09 Jun 2011 -- The Security Council extended the mandate of a panel of experts established to monitor and enforce sanctions against Iran.
- World Powers Fear Iran's Plan to Expand Nuclear Capability VOA 09 Jun 2011 -- World powers expressed concern about Iran’s nuclear intentions after the country said it plans to triple its output of higher-grade uranium.
- World Powers Voice Concern Over Iran's Nuclear Program RFE/RL 09 Jun 2011 -- World powers have said they are deeply concerned about the motivations behind Iran's nuclear program.
- Soltanieh says Iran will not backdown on legitimate NPT rights IRNA 09 Jun 2011 -- Iranian Ambassador to IAEA Ali Asghar Soltanieh: Iran will never backdown on legitimate rights enshrined by Non-Proliferation Treaty.
- Iran informs IAEA of transferring enrichment process to Fordo IRNA 09 Jun 2011 -- Iran has informed the UN nuclear watchdog of transferring enrichment process from its nuclear site in Natanz to Fordo site.
- Iran denies French claim on further enrichment ISNA 09 Jun 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Salehi dismissed French claim that Iran is enriching uranium beyond the level of 20 percent.
- Secretary Clinton on Holding Iranian Human Rights Abusers Accountable US Dept. of State 09 Jun 2011
- US Imposes Sanctions on Iran's Police Chief, Government Entities VOA 09 Jun 2011 -- Two years ago this month, Iranian authorities violently cracked down on protests in the wake of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's disputed re-election victory.
- U.S. Announces New Sanctions Against Iran RFE/RL 09 Jun 2011 -- The US has announced sanctions against three Iranian groups and one person over human rights abuses in Iran since the country's disputed 2009 presidential election.
- Manufacturing IranSat one of Iran's greatest requests from Russia IRNA 09 Jun 2011 -- Head of Aerospace Organization of Iran: Manufacturing IranSat satellite is one of Iran’s greatest requests from Russia.
- Iran arrests two other members of Komola terrorist group ISNA 09 Jun 2011 -- Iranian security forces managed to arrest two remaining members of Komola terrorist group in Kurdistan province, western part of the country.
- Iran Vows To Triple Uranium-Enrichment Capacity RFE/RL 08 Jun 2011 -- International tensions over Iran's disputed nuclear program look set to rise further.
- Iran to Triple Higher-Enriched Uranium Production VOA 08 Jun 2011 -- Iran's nuclear chief says the country will move its production of higher enriched uranium to a new site.
- Iran says to install new centrifuges ISNA 08 Jun 2011 -- Iran is going to install 164-centrifuge cascades of new generation machines soon.
- Iran produces fuel plates without much delay: atom chief ISNA 08 Jun 2011 -- Iran said on Wednesday that it would produce fuel plates without any considerable delay.
- Iran Denounces IAEA Comments on Nuclear Program VOA 07 Jun 2011 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says report from the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog agency "lacks legal credibility."
- President: West uses Iran nuclear issue as a pretext IRNA 07 Jun 2011 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that western states use Iran’s nuclear issue as a political pretext.
- Iran says building new generation of centrifuges ISNA 07 Jun 2011 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday the country is building new generation of centrifuges.
- President: Bushehr nuclear plant to become operational soon IRNA 07 Jun 2011 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said here on Tuesday that construction of Bushehr nuclear power plant is complete and will start operation in the near future.
- Soltaniyeh advises Amano to fulfill IAEA's pledges IRNA 07 Jun 2011 -- Iran's envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) advised IAEA Director General Yukio Amano about fulfillment of his agency's pledges.
- Report: Iran Sends Submarines To Red Sea RFE/RL 07 Jun 2011 -- Iran's semi-official Fars news agency says Iran has sent submarines to the Red Sea in the first such deployment by the country's navy.
- Terrorist network dismantled in western Iran ISNA 07 Jun 2011 -- Iran dismantled a team linked to Komala terrorist cell in southern part of Western Kurdistan province.
- Syria 'very likely' had an unreported nuclear plant UN News Centre 06 Jun 2011 -- Head of the UN atomic energy agency: indications that point to existence of possible military dimensions to Iran’s nuclear programme.
- UN Atomic Watchdog Chief Targets Syria VOA 06 Jun 2011 -- The agency head also criticized Iran over its alleged nuclear program at the start of a key weeklong meeting in Vienna.
- IAEA Board To Discuss Syria, Iran RFE/RL 06 Jun 2011 -- The IAEA board of governors is holding a weeklong meeting in Vienna amid pressure from the US and others to rebuke Syria over alleged illicit nuclear activity.
- 22nd demise anniversary of late Imam Khomeini starts in Tehran IRNA 04 Jun 2011 -- Ceremonies marking the 22nd demise anniversary of the late founder of the Islamic Republic Imam Khomeini started at the Imam Khomeini Mausoleum attended by several million Iranian mourners, foreign and domestic personalities in southern Tehran on Saturday.
- Supreme Leader: Regional revolutions are Islamic, popular, anti-US IRNA 04 Jun 2011 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Saturday that the regional revolutions are distinguished by Islamic, popular and anti-American features.
- Iran's active diplomacy has made enemies 'passive'- minister IRNA 02 Jun 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said here on Thursday that Iran's active diplomacy once again made the enemies passive.
- Nuclear countries unwilling to destroy arms: Soltanieh IRNA 01 Jun 2011 -- Iran's Permanent Representative and Ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Ali Asghar Soltanieh, said here on Tuesday that countries including the US which own nuclear arms are not willing to destroy their arms.
- Sanction shows US weakness, says Iran minister ISNA 01 Jun 2011 -- Sanction against Iran and other independent states shows the US administration's weakness, said Iranian Defense Minister as referring to the US recently-imposed sanction against Venezuelan State Oil Company.
- Iran says diplomat in Egypt returns home ISNA 01 Jun 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said on Wednesday the Iranian diplomat arrested in Egypt by mistake returned home.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list