IAEA board breached charter by Iran referral to UN Security Council
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
Tehran, June 12, IRNA -- Ambassador and Permanent Representative to IAEA Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said on Sunday that the IAEA Board of Governors breached charter of the body by referral of Iranian nuclear program to the United Nations Security Council.
Speaking to reporters, he said referral of Iran’s nuclear dossier to United Nations Security Council UNSC was an illegal act.
He brought strong reasons to condemn the IAEA illegal move of Iran referral to the Security Council.
He made the remarks in talks with domestic and foreign reporters on the sidelines of the 2nd International Conference on Disarmament and Non-Proliferation in Tehran.
1. Only the cases should be referred to UN Security Council that have a negative report from IAEA to indicate diversion from the civilian path or approaching any military plans, whereas, that was not the case about Iran.
2. The cases are referred to the Security Council when the IAEA is not allowed to inspect the nuclear sites and declares that it is not able to verify civilian nature of a national program. That was the case about North Korea whereas Iran fully cooperated withy IAEA and its inspectors.
3. The cases are referred to the Security Council that the IAEA inspectors declare that a member state does not honor its commitments to NPT and the IAEA Safeguards Agreement. That was not the case about Iran. The agency's Director-General Mohamed ElBaradei in his consecutive reports verified non-diversion of Iranian nuclear program from civilian purpose and sometimes noted 'failures' on part of Iran.
4. The fourth reason that Iran referral was the breach of the IAEA charter is that such a referral to Security Council takes place when a member state receives materials from the agency and does not honor its commitment, so it was not the case about Iran.
5. During negotiations with three European states -- Uk. Germany and France -- Iran opted for voluntary Additional Protocol for confidence-building, but, it droped the voluntary Additional Protocol after Iran referral to Security Council. Whereas, a country must not be referred to Security Council when it signed the voluntary Additional Protocol to NPT.
Islamic Republic News Agency/IRNA NewsCode: 30428403
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|