Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2008 - Iran Special Weapons News
- IAEA envoy : IAEA monitors safety of Bushehr nuclear power plant IRNA 30 Nov 2008 -- IAEA's Representative to Iran Christer Viktorsson said on Sunday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is now fully cooperating with IAEA to maintain safety of Bushehr nuclear power plant
- Saeedi: IAEA monitors 5,000 centrifuges operating in Natanz IRNA 30 Nov 2008 -- Deputy head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization Mohammad Saeedi said on Sunday that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is now monitoring 5,000 operating centrifuges in Natanz facilities
- Aqazadeh: IAEA declares Green Salt issue as solved IRNA 30 Nov 2008 -- Head of the Iran's Atomic Energy Organization (IAEO) Reza Aqazadeh said on Sunday that the international Atomic Energy Organization (IAEA) has declared the issue of Green Salt in Iran's peaceful nuclear program as resolved
- Iran proposes to form consortium for developing nuclear plants IRNA 30 Nov 2008 -- Iran on Sunday proposed regional states to form a consortium for developing nuclear power plants in the region
- Iran proposes building nuclear power plants with Arab states RIA Novosti 30 Nov 2008 -- Iran on Sunday proposed building light-water nuclear power plants jointly with neighboring Arab countries.
- Soltanieh: IAEA Iran report proved US 'absurd, baseless' claims IRNA 29 Nov 2008 -- Iran's IAEA envoy Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said here Saturday that recent IAEA report made Americans' claim about isolating Iran 'absurd and baseless'.
- Sayyari: Iran powerful enough to close Hormuz Strait IRNA 29 Nov 2008 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic Army's Navy Force Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said here that the Iranian Navy is capable of blocking the Hormuz Strait
- MP: Identity of US negotiation team with Iran should be revealed IRNA 29 Nov 2008 -- Deputy head of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, Hossein Sobhaninia said here Saturday that the identity of the Americans willing to talk with Iran should be made clear
- Iran Shaping Up As Key Foreign Policy Challenge For Obama RFE/RL 29 Nov 2008 -- For nearly three decades, Iran and the United States have traded accusations and threats
- Soltanieh: Iran to continue cooperation with IAEA IRNA 28 Nov 2008 -- Iran's IAEA envoy Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said here Thursday that Iran will continue cooperation with the IAEA
- IAEA Frustrated Over Lack of Transparency in Iran, Syria VOA 27 Nov 2008 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency expressed frustration Thursday that neither Iran nor Syria been completely transparent about their alleged nuclear activities.
- ElBaradei criticizes US for non-delivery of evidence on Iran alleged studies IRNA 27 Nov 2008 -- IAEA Chief Mohammed ElBaradei speaking at the opening meeting of the 35-member Board of Governors at the agency's headquarter in Vienna on Thursday criticized the US for non-delivery of evidence on Iran alleged studies
- ElBaradei regrets non-delivery of alleged studies against Iran IRNA 27 Nov 2008 -- IAEA Chief Mohammed ElBaradei speaking at the opening meeting of the 35-member Board of Governors at the agency's headquarter in Vienna on Thursday expressed regret over non-delivery of alleged studies against Iran's peaceful nuclear activities
- Rice Says Decision on Opening Mission in Iran to Be Left to Obama Administration VOA 26 Nov 2008 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday the Bush administration supports the idea of opening a U.S. diplomatic "interests section" in Iran.
- Aqazadeh: 1st phase of nuclear rod production complex to come on stream IRNA 26 Nov 2008 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Reza Aqazadeh said here Wednesday that the construction of 40-megawatt Arak reactor is in progress and its first phase for production of nuclear rods and fuel will become operational by the year end
- Supreme Leader: Iran has turned into a regional power IRNA 26 Nov 2008 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday that Iran has now turned into a regional power thanks to its reliance on God and utilization of all its facilities
- Iran objects to IAEA over leakage of nuclear information IRNA 26 Nov 2008 -- Iran objected to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) over the leakage of confidential information from the entity
- Navy to take delivery of Ghadir class submarine IRNA 26 Nov 2008 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic Army's Navy Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said here Wednesday that in next 15 days another Ghadir class submarine will be delivered to the Navy
- Mottaki urges IAEA to make decisions based on realities IRNA 26 Nov 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki on Wednesday advised the UN nuclear watchdog to make a comprehensive and correct decision regarding over the Iranian nuclear program
- Kavosh-2 rocket fired IRNA 26 Nov 2008 -- Iran's aerospace experts have successfully launched 'Kavosh 2' (Explorer 2) rocket into space on Wednesday
- Iran says over 5,000 enrichment centrifuges operating RIA Novosti 26 Nov 2008 -- Iran now has over 5,000 working centrifuges at its uranium enrichment plant, the country's civilian nuclear chief said on Wednesday.
- Navy commander: Iran's Navy most powerful in region IRNA 25 Nov 2008 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran Navy is the most powerful in the region, Commander of the Army's Naval Forces, Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Tuesday
- Tehran Is The Obstacle To U.S.-Iran Talks RFE/RL 25 Nov 2008 -- Barack Obama's election has sparked enthusiasm in Washington about the prospects for renewed engagement between the United States and Iran
- Larijani: US-Iraq security pact to cause crisis in Iraq, region IRNA 24 Nov 2008 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Monday that the recent security pact signed by the US and Iraq would cause crisis in Iraq as well as the entire region
- Iran Watches As Iraq Negotiates Security Pact With U.S. RFE/RL 24 Nov 2008 -- Iraq's parliament is nearing a vote on a long-awaited security agreement with the United States
- Nuclear materials in Iran are under IAEA supervision IRNA 24 Nov 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi said on Monday that the nuclear substances produced in Iran are under full supervision of the UN nuclear watchdog
- Iran calls on IAEA chief to resist pressures IRNA 24 Nov 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hassan Qashqavi, called on the UN nuclear agency's chief, Mohamed Elbaradei, to resist pressures while composing report on Iran
- Iran Navy to become powerful force soon: commander IRNA 24 Nov 2008 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran Navy will become the most powerful force in the region in the near future, Commander of the Army's Naval Forces, Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari told IRNA Sunday evening
- IRGC commander: Zionist regime's espionage network discovered in Iran IRNA 24 Nov 2008 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution's Guards Corps Major General Mohammad-Ali Jaafari said here on Monday that the IRGC has discovered an Israeli espionage network and arrested its members/li>
- Former defense minister: Sejil missile no threat to any state IRNA 23 Nov 2008 -- Head of the armed forces' Center for Strategic Studies Ali Shamkhani said on Sunday that Iran's Sejil missile poses no threat for any country
- Iran's Navy powerfully defends marine borders: commander IRNA 23 Nov 2008 -- A Navy commander said on Sunday that the Navy forces are present in the region in the most powerful manner to defend the country's sea borders
- Safavi: Iran capable of firing a series of Sejil missiles IRNA 23 Nov 2008 -- Supreme Leader's top advisor for the armed forces affairs, Major General Yahya Rahim Safavi said on Sunday that Iran is capable of firing a series of surface to surface
- Iran criticizes IAEA for raising baseless concerns IRNA 22 Nov 2008 -- Majlis speaker Ali Larijani on Saturday criticized the International Atomic Energy Agency Director General Mohamed ElBaradei for raising baseless concerns in his latest report on Iran
- ElBaradei's 14th report is Iran's clean health bill: MP IRNA 22 Nov 2008 -- Rapporteur of Iran's Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Kazem Jalali said on Friday that the 14th report of the UN nuclear watchdog's chief was the best evidence of the peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear activities
- Iranian, spying for Israel hanged IRNA 22 Nov 2008 -- Ali Ashtari who was convicted of spying for Israel's intelligence services was hanged in Tehran on November 17, an official at the Information Ministry said on Saturday.
- Agency inspections permitted only within legal framework - Rafsanjani IRNA 21 Nov 2008 -- Provisional Friday Prayers leader of Tehran stressing that Iran's nuclear program has never breached any international law, said here Friday in his second sermon permits for inspecting Iranian nuclear centers would be issued merely within boundaries of the IAEA laws
- Iran's nuclear program peaceful, says ElBaradei in latest report IRNA 20 Nov 2008 -- Eleven points in ten paragraphs of IAEA Chief Muhamed Elbaradei's Wednesday report on Iran, presented to 35-member IAEA Board of Governors, include positive and valuable hints indicating peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program
- Iran pledges to continue work with IAEA despite critical report RIA Novosti 20 Nov 2008 -- Iran's top nuclear official said the country will continue to cooperate with the UN nuclear watchdog, after the agency issued a report criticizing Tehran for failure suspend uranium enrichment.
- GOV/2008/59: Implementation of the NPT Safeguards Agreement and relevant provisions of Security Council resolutions 1737 (2006), 1747 (2007), 1803 (2008) and 1835 (2008) in the Islamic Republic of Iran International Atomic Energy Agency 19 Nov 2008
- President: Nuclear issue significant for Iranian nation IRNA 19 Nov 2008-- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said here Wednesday that nuclear issue is a highly significant issue for Iranian nation and government
- IRGC to build up Navy in Persian Gulf IRNA 19 Nov 2008-- The Basij (voluntary forces) under command council of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps will build up its Navy force in the Persian Gulf
- No evidence for Iran's military nuclear program: ElBaradei IRNA 19 Nov 2008-- International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei said in Dubai that there is no evidence for Iran's military nuclear program
- IRGC Navy ready to repel any threat - IRGC Navy Commander IRNA 17 Nov 2008 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy Force Rear Admiral Morteza Saffari said here Monday that forces under his command are ready to repel any threat in the Persian Gulf
- Diplomat: ElBaradei's Iran report not to contain any new point IRNA 17 Nov 2008 -- A diplomat in Vienna said Monday that upcoming report of the IAEA Chief Mohammed ElBaradei on Iran will not contain any new point
- Iran's missile power, deterrent: minister IRNA 17 Nov 2008 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Mostafa Mohammad Najjar said on Monday that Iran sees missile and defensive power as deterrent to safeguard the regional stability, peace and tranquility
- World Power Meeting Yields No Breakthrough on Iran Nuclear Issue VOA 13 Nov 2008 -- World powers met in France on Thursday to address Iran's nuclear program, but there was no breakthrough in strategy.
- Iranian Diplomat Kidnapped in Northwestern Pakistan VOA 13 Nov 2008 -- Unidentified gunmen in Pakistan have abducted an Iranian diplomat after killing his security guard in Peshawar.
- FM: Grounds prepared for expansion of Tehran-Pyongyang ties IRNA 13 Nov 2008-- Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki conferred with his North Korean counterpart Pak Ui Chun on expansion of mutual relations as well as regional developments
- Mottaki: Iran-North Korea political ties unprecedented in 30 ys IRNA 13 Nov 2008-- Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said in Pyongyang on Wednesday that Iran and North Korea had had the best political ties in the past 30 years
- World Powers to Meet on Iran Nuclear Issue VOA 13 Nov 2008 -- World powers are set to meet Thursday in Paris to discuss the next steps in addressing Iran's nuclear ambitions.
- Iran Tests New Generation Missile VOA 12 Nov 2008 -- Iran says it has test fired a new generation missile with a range that would put Israel and southern Europe in its sights.
- US: Iran Missile Test Underscores Threat to Middle East, Europe VOA 12 Nov 2008 -- The United States says the reported test of a new Iranian ballistic missile underscores that country's threat to the Middle East and Europe, including Russia, which has opposed a planned U.S. regional missile defense system.
- Russia, Iran, Qatar Holding Gas Talks In Doha RFE/RL 12 Nov 2008 -- A Russian delegation led by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is in Doha, Qatar, for talks with Qatari and Iranian officials on cooperation in natural gas exports
- Iran plays key role in maintaining peace in Persian Gulf IRNA 12 Nov 2008 -- Rahim Safavi, advisor to the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday that Iran plays an effective role in maintaining peace and stability in the Persian Gulf region
- Mottaki: US not in a position to dictate its will on others IRNA 12 Nov 2008 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said in Pyongyang on Wednesday that the US is not in a position to dictate its will on independent states
- New generation of surface-to-surface missiles test fired IRNA 12 Nov 2008 -- New generation of surface-to-surface missiles called 'Sejil' was test fired in the presence of Defense Minister Brigadier General Mostafa Mohammad Najjar, it was reported on Wednesday
- IAEA chief welcomes Iran-US direct talks IRNA 12 Nov 2008 -- Director General of the UN nuclear watchdog Mohamed ElBaradei in Prague, the Czech Republic on Wednesday welcomed Iran-US direct talks
- Mottaki arrives in North Korea IRNA 12 Nov 2008 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki heading a delegation arrived in Pyongyang on Wednesday
- Iran successfully test fires new surface-to-surface missile RIA Novosti 12 Nov 2008 -- Iran has successfully test fired a new surface-to-surface missile, the Fars news agency said Wednesday.
- Iran Reportedly Test-Fires New Generation of Missiles VOA 12 Nov 2008 -- Iran says it has test fired a new generation missile it says has a range that would put Israel and southern Europe in its sights.
- Solana urges Iran to accept freeze for freeze option: MP IRNA 09 Nov 2008 -- A parliamentarian said on Sunday that the EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana believes that Iran should accept the freeze for freeze option proposed by the Group 5+1
- Advisor highlights Ahmadinejad's felicitations to Obama IRNA 08 Nov 2008 -- President Advisor, Hamid Molana, on Saturday highlighted felicitations of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to US president-elect, Barack Obama.
- US Imposes Banking Sanctions on Iran VOA 06 Nov 2008 -- The U.S. Treasury has moved to further restrict Iran's access to the U.S. financial system, by banning certain money transfers.
- Ahmadinejad congratulates Obama on election victory IRNA 06 Nov 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in a message on Thursday congratulated the US president-elect Barack Obama on his election victory
- Iran Warns US Against Airspace Violation VOA 05 Nov 2008 -- Iran has warned U.S. forces in Iraq that it will "forcefully" respond to any violation of Iranian airspace.
- US must not violate Iranian airspace: Army IRNA 05 Nov 2008 -- The United States forces in Iraq on Wednesday were cautioned against violation of Iranian airspace
- Mottaki: US attack on Syria sign of US failed diplomacy in region IRNA 04 Nov 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki here on Tuesday described the recent US attacks on Syria as a 'disgraceful defeat' and urged the new US administration to revise the wrong policy
- Mottaki: Iraq is in an important juncture in its history IRNA 04 Nov 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said here Monday that Iraq, currently, stands in an important decision making point of its history
- US attack against Syria sign of Washington's weakness - Mottaki IRNA 04 Nov 2008 -- Iran's foreign minister said here Monday US helicopter attack against Syria was rather a sign of Washington's desperate status and weakness, than a demonstration of US power aimed at weakening the Damascus Government
- Iran makes micro submarine, radar-evading vessel IRNA 04 Nov 2008 -- Iranian experts have designed and manufactured micro submarines and radar-evading vessels, Defense Minister Brigadier General Mostafa Mohammad Najjar said on Tuesday
- Iranian Parliament Begins Impeachment of Interior Minister Ali Kordan VOA 04 Nov 2008 -- The Iranian parliament has decided to begin the process of impeaching Interior Minister Ali Kordan for falsely claiming to possess an honorary doctorate from Oxford University.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list