Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2011 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Majlis: Saudi should not play with fire IRNA 31 Mar 2011 -- Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission issued its second statement to warn Saudi Arabia not to play with fire in the Persian Gulf and advised Saudis to pull their forces out of Bahrain.
- Iran strongly refutes espionage charges in Kuwait IRNA 31 Mar 2011 -- An informed source at Iran's Foreign Ministry strongly denied baseless allegations on identification of Iranian espionage network in Kuwait.
- Kuwait To Expel Iranian Diplomats For Spying RFE/RL 31 Mar 2011 -- Kuwait says it is to expel a number of Iranian diplomats for alleged links to a spying ring working for Tehran.
- More Iranian Political Activists Summoned To Intelligence Ministry RFE/RL 31 Mar 2011 -- Political activist and journalist Reza Alijani has been summoned to Iran's Intelligence Ministry.
- Iranian Opposition: Police Arrest 7 at Funeral of Mousavi's Father VOA 31 Mar 2011 -- Opposition website says security forces have arrested at least 7 people attending a funeral for the father of Mir Hossein Mousavi.
- FM: Iran welcomes resumption of diplomatic ties with Egypt IRNA 30 Mar 2011 -- FM Salehi: Islamic Republic of Iran welcomes resumption of diplomatic ties with Egypt as recently proposed by his Egyptian counterpart.
- Iran Welcomes Egypt's Call to Mend Relations VOA 30 Mar 2011 -- Iran has welcomed an overture from Egypt to fully restore diplomatic relations.
- Kuwait Sentences Three Men To Death On Charges Of Spying For Iran RFE/RL 29 Mar 2011 -- A court in Kuwait has condemned to death two Iranians and a Kuwaiti national for belonging to an Iranian spy ring.
- Kuwait Imposes Death Sentences on Convicted Spies VOA 29 Mar 2011 -- Kuwait has sentenced three people to death on charges of spying for Iran. The sentences were imposed on Tuesday in a Kuwaiti criminal court.
- U.S. Official Says Iran Regime's Fate In Iranian Hands RFE/RL 29 Mar 2011 -- Senior US State Department official: possible changes in the Iranian regime remain a question that must be decided by the Iranian people.
- Iranian hacker says certificate attack retribution for Stuxnet worm RIA Novosti 28 Mar 2011 -- A lone Iranian hacker claimed responsibility for stealing digital certificates used for online transactions.
- Iranian Air Force Warns Enemies against Military Actions KCNA 27 Mar 2011 -- Iranian Air Force Lieutenant Commander Brigadier General Chitforoush warned the enemies against their anti-Iran military actions.
- Ex-UN Special Rapporteur On Iran Cites 'Psychological' Effect Of Investigations RFE/RL 25 Mar 2011 -- The UN Human Rights Council voted on March 24 to appoint a special investigator on human rights in Iran; a position that last existed a decade ago. A day later, Tehran objected.
- UN Council Agrees To Appoint Rights Investigator For Iran RFE/RL 24 Mar 2011 -- The United Nations Human Rights Council has agreed to establish a UN human rights investigator for Iran - the first in a decade.
- Netanyahu urges no let-up in Iran nuclear pressure RIA Novosti 24 Mar 2011 -- Despite the current unrest in the Middle East, the international community should continue to insist on the closure of Iran's nuclear program, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday.
- Western Diplomats: Iran Again Violates Arms Embargo VOA 22 Mar 2011 -- Western diplomats on the U.N. Security Council expressed concern Tuesday at mounting reports of Iranian violations of a U.N.-imposed arms embargo, including the seizure of rockets intended for the Taliban in Afghanistan and 50 tons of weapons Israel confiscated en route to Egypt.
- UN reports more alleged violations of sanctions against Iran over nuclear issue UN News Centre 22 Mar 2011 -- Voicing “serious concern,” the chair of the United Nations committee monitoring the arms embargo imposed on Iran over its nuclear programme today reported two additional alleged violations involving material related to fuel enrichment or weapons delivery systems.
- Turkey suspects nukes on Iranian plane, finds other banned weapons headed to Syria - media RIA Novosti 22 Mar 2011 -- Turkish authorities suspecting nuclear arms on board an Iranian cargo plane bound for Syria found less lethal weapons and ammunition, however still fall under a UN resolution, Turkish daily Milliyet reported on Tuesday.
- Supreme Leader: US to suffer consecutive defeats IRNA 21 Mar 2011 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said in Masshad on Monday that the US will suffer consecutive defeats in the Middle East region in the future.
- Iran says ready to host Afghan peace council meeting ISNA 19 Mar 2011 -- Iranian ambassador to the UN Mohammad Khazaei said the country is ready to host Afghan peace council meeting.
- Air Force ready round the clock to defend Iran's air space IRNA 19 Mar 2011 -- Deputy Air Force Commander Brigadier General Mohammad Alavi said here on Saturday that his forces are ready round the clock to defend the country’s air space from any kind of probable threats.
- Experts Deny Russia's 'Safe' Nuclear Reactor Claims RFE/RL 18 Mar 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev announced his answer to deepening questions about the safety of nuclear power.
- Iran Plans to Sell Its Nuclear Materials, Services KCNA 17 Mar 2011 -- Iran's Atomic Chief, Fereidoon Abbasi, said that Iran plans to export its nuclear materials and services to the global market.
- Iran tests new life-support capsule in space RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2011 -- Iran has launched a rocket into space with a test capsule designed to carry a monkey.
- Iran Test Launches Rocket VOA 17 Mar 2011 -- Iran has launched a rocket that is designed to carry living creatures into space.
- Iran Claims Launch Of New Space Capsule RFE/RL 17 Mar 2011 -- Iran says it has successfully launched a test spacecraft meant to sustain life in orbit.
- Turkey Stops, Searches Iranian Plane VOA 16 Mar 2011 -- Turkish officials say government forces forced a cargo plane from Iran to land in Turkey so that its contents could be searched.
- Iran denies Zionist claim on vessel seizure ISNA 16 Mar 2011 -- Iranian Army Commander denied Zionist regime's claims on seizure of a Gaza-bound Iranian vessel.
- Defense minister refutes Zionist regime claims IRNA 16 Mar 2011 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi strongly refuted claims by the Tel Aviv regime about interception of a ship carrying Iranian made weapons enroute to Gaza.
- Iran builds solar rector ISNA 16 Mar 2011 -- Iranian researchers manufactured solar rector for the first time in the country, taking the first major step in production of radioisotopes.
- Iran scientists build unmanned flying saucer ISNA 16 Mar 2011 -- Iranian aerospace scientists have built an unmanned flying saucer.
- Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant 'can resist earthquakes' RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2011 -- The Bushehr nuclear facility in Iran is resistant to earthquakes.
- Activities underway in Bushehr plant with highest standards, says Iran ISNA 15 Mar 2011-- Iran said on Tuesday that Bushehr nuclear plant is continuing its routine activities under the highest standard level.
- Iran, Russia stress on timely operation of Bushehr power plant IRNA 15 Mar 2011 -- President Ahmadinejad and his Russian counterpart Medvedev stressed the timely going into operation of Iran’s first nuclear power plant.
- Iran, Russia stress launch of Bushehr N-plant in set time ISNA 15 Mar 2011-- Iranian and Russian presidents stressed launch of Iranian Bushehr power plant in set time.
- Demand for Change in Middle East Not Lost on Opposition in Iran VOA 14 Mar 2011 -- Political turmoil has spread across the Middle East and sparked new demonstrations in Iran.
- Iran Slams US, EU for Their Stands on Its Nuclear Activities KCNA 13 Mar 2011 -- Ali-Asghar Soltanieh, Iran's envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency, lashed out at the U.S. and EU.
- IAEA under Political Influence - Iran KCNA 13 Mar 2011 -- Iran says a certain double-edged position in the report on the nuclear issue of Iran indicates the agency is still influenced by political pressure.
- Iran starts building local telecommunications satellite ISNA 12 Mar 2011 -- Iran has started building the first indigenous telecommunications satellite to be launched into space in 2017.
- Soltanieh asks Amano to report US, Europe non-compliances to Board IRNA 11 Mar 2011 -- Iran’s IAEA envoy, Ali-Asghar Soltanieh, on Friday urged the IAEA Chief Yukia Amano to report the non-compliance of the US and the European countries hosting nuclear weapons, with their obligations undertaken under the NPT to IAEA Board of Governors.
- Battered And Bruised, Rafsanjani May Have Fought His Last Battle RFE/RL 11 Mar 2011 -- In the blockbuster Steven Spielberg film "Jaws," the shark's death was meant to convey an air of finality -- only for the man-eating fish to reappear in ever-more lethal forms in a series of increasingly desultory sequels.
- Afghanistan denies Iran's militia helps ISNA 09 Mar 2011 -- Afghan Interior Minister Bismillah Khan Mohamadi denied Iran's militia helps to Afghanistan.
- Iran says Afghan unrests rooted in int'l forces presence ISNA 09 Mar 2011 -- Iran said unrests in Afghanistan are rooted in foreign forces' presence in the war-torn country.
- Soltanieh asks IAEA Board to stop politically motivated debates IRNA 09 Mar 2011 -- Iran’s IAEA envoy, Ali-Asghar Soltanieh, here on Wednesday called on all members of IAEA Board of Governors to discontinue politically motivated debates and instead open new chapter of confidence building and collective work.
- Iran says activities of Bushehr N-plant "routine" ISNA 08 Mar 2011 -- Iran said on Tuesday that Bushehr nuclear plant is carrying out its routine activities.
- Iran's Rafsanjani Loses Key Post On Assembly Of Experts RFE/RL 08 Mar 2011 -- Iran's former president, Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, today lost his position as chairman of the Assembly of Experts, a state body with the power to appoint and dismiss the country's supreme leader.
- Ayatollah Kani elected as head of Experts Assembly IRNA 08 Mar 2011 -- Ayatollah Mohammad-Reza Mahdavi-Kani was elected Tuesday as the chairman of the Assembly of Experts.
- Russia says will complete Bushehr project 'in near future' RIA Novosti 08 Mar 2011 -- Russia will complete the nuclear reactor in Iran's Bushehr in the near future, the Russian ambassador in Tehran said Tuesday, two weeks after operation of the long-anticipated facility was delayed.
- Navy builds new destroyers IRNA 07 Mar 2011 -- Navy Commander of Navy Brigadier-General Habibollah Sayyari said on Monday that Iranian Navy has built modern destroyers.
- Iran still fails to cooperate to prove nuclear programme purely peaceful, UN warns UN News Centre 07 Mar 2011 -- Iran is still not providing the cooperation needed to conclude that its nuclear programme is purely for peaceful activities, the head of the United Nations atomic watchdog agency warned today.
- Iran attaches no credit to Hariri court: Salehi IRNA 07 Mar 2011 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said here on Monday that Iran attaches no credit to the international court involved in probing the assassination of former Lebanese prime minister, Rafiq Hariri.
- Iran says US meddling in Libya for oil wells ISNA 06 Mar 2011 -- Iranian top military commander Brigadier General Hassan Firouzabadi said the US meddling in Libyan issues seeks exploiting its oil wells.
- US presence in Afghanistan causes more violence IRNA 06 Mar 2011 -- Presence of the US forces in Afghanistan has led to more violence and major boost in the amount of illicit drugs being produced in that country, Foreign Ministry spokesman said Sunday.
- Army commander: Iran will foil any plot even before its commencement IRNA 05 Mar 2011 -- Commander of the Iranian Army Brigadier General Ahmadreza Pourdastan said Iran will foil any plot against it at the very beginning of its commencement.
- Nuclear weapons are against our religious principles: Salehi IRNA 04 Mar 2011 -- Iranian FM Salehi: Reiterated that building or using nuclear weapons were against the religious principles of his country.
- U.S. Believes Missing Ex-FBI Agent Levinson Alive RFE/RL 04 Mar 2011 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said that the United States has received tips that ex-FBI agent Robert Levinson.
- Ayat. Khatami: Iran inspiring regional uprisings IRNA 04 Mar 2011 -- Substitute Friday prayers leader of Tehran, Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami, says Islamic Iran, as "the safest, the most powerful and the most peaceful country", has inspired recent uprisings in the region.
- Bushehr Setbacks Trigger Iranian Nuclear-Safety Concerns RFE/RL 03 Mar 2011 -- Repeated delays in the opening of a showpiece Iranian nuclear reactor are triggering concerns.
- Zimbabwe says willing to work with Iran on uranium extraction ISNA 03 Mar 2011 -- Zimbabwean FM Mumbengegwi said his country is willing to work with Iran on uranium extraction.
- Iran Calls on IAEA to Act Independently KCNA 03 Mar 2011 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi called on the International Atomic Energy Agency to act independently on Feb. 27.
- Iran dismisses US claims on backing Afghan militias "unfounded" ISNA 03 Mar 2011-- Iran called the US claims on Tehran's support for Afghan militias "unfounded".
- Iranian warships head home via Suez Canal RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2011 -- Two Iranian warships that passed through Egypt's Suez Canal last month en route to Syria entered the waterway on a return trip.
- Iranian Naval Ships Re-Enter Suez Canal VOA 03 Mar 2011 -- Iran says two of its warships are passing through the Suez Canal on Thursday en route back to the country.
- Fourth Anniversary of Robert Levinson's Disappearance US Dept. of State 03 Mar 2011
- US Cites Possible Break in Levinson Case VOA 03 Mar 2011 -- The United States said Thursday that there are indications that Robert Levinson, last seen in Iran nearly four years ago, is alive.
- Iran warns US to avoid medding ISNA 03 Mar 2011 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani warned the US not to interfere in its domestic matters and disturb the situation in the Middle Eastern country.
- Protests Reported At Iran Chemical, Tire Factories RFE/RL 03 Mar 2011 -- Workers at two factories in Iran are reported to have protested their employment conditions in recent days.
- Bomb-builders have not right to oppose Iran nuclear program IRNA 02 Mar 2011 -- President Ahmadinejad: Bomb builders and those who preserve and use atomic bombs do not have right to take up stand against Iran.
- Iran: US, allies should avoid military intervention IRNA 02 Mar 2011 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad: US and its allies should avoid military intervention in North Africa and the Middle East region otherwise nations will rise up and dig graves for their soldiers.
- Ahmadinejad warns US and its allies on interventions in Africa, ME IRNA 02 Mar 2011 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad warned the US and its allies on military interventions in North Africa and the Middle East.
- Iranian Activists Appeal To UN Over Missing Opposition Leaders RFE/RL 02 Mar 2011 -- Open letter to UN Secretary-General Ban urging him to intervene in the case of detained opposition leaders.
- Iran Executions Under Scrutiny VOA 02 Mar 2011 -- Iran is coming under increased scrutiny for the number of executions it carries out.
- DOD News Briefing with Secretary Gates and Adm. Mullen from the Pentagon DoD 01 Mar 2011
- Middle East Revolutions Undermine al-Qaida, Iran, Gates Says AFPS 01 Mar 2011 -- Al-Qaida and Iran are the biggest losers in the wave of reform sweeping North Africa and the Middle East.
- Gates Calls Mideast Changes a 'Setback' for Iran, al-Qaida VOA 01 Mar 2011 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates: Extremists are suffering setbacks in the ongoing Middle East unrest.
- Russian Foreign Minister Calls for Resumption of Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 01 Mar 2011 -- Russian FM Lavrov is calling for the resumption of talks on Iran's nuclear program as soon as possible.
- Russia's Lavrov urges restoration of trust in Iran RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2011 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has called on the Iran Six to work on restoring trust in Tehran.
- Spokesman denies news on Bushehr power plant fuel IRNA 01 Mar 2011 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman said nuclear fuel has not been removed from the reactor of Bushehr Power Plant and the plant is continuing its normal work.
- Iran FM: Discriminative approach towards Iran sign of West's dual policy IRNA 01 Mar 2011 -- FM Ali-Akbar Salehi: Discriminative approach towards Iran’s peaceful nuclear program was an indication to western powers’ double standard policy.
- Iran's Salehi meets with Ashton ISNA 01 Mar 2011-- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi met with the European Union Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton.
- Iran Navy displayed its military might by entering Mediterranean IRNA 01 Mar 2011 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said the presence of the Iranian Navy vessels in international waters displayed its military might to the whole world.
- IRI Navy Commander ends Syrian visit IRNA 01 Mar 2011 -- Commander of Islamic Republic of Iran Navy Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari and his accompanying delegation left Damascus Monday night at end of their six day professional visit.
- Police clash with protesters in central Tehran - opposition RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2011 -- Police used tear gas and batons to disperse protesters in central Tehran on Tuesday.
- Reports: Security Forces Clash With Protesters in Tehran VOA 01 Mar 2011 -- Iranian anti-government protesters are reported to have clashed with security forces in the capital, Tehran.
- Iranian Security Forces Clash With Demonstrators RFE/RL 01 Mar 2011 -- Reports say that Iranian security forces have fired tear gas and clashed with opposition supporters in Tehran.
- Iran slams Clinton's human rights remarks ISNA 01 Mar 2011-- Iranian FM Spokesman Mehmanparast: Iran allows no country to meddle in its domestic affairs.
- US should be responsive to human rights status: FM spokesman IRNA 01 Mar 2011 -- FM spokesman Mehmanparast: US authorities should be responsive to the human rights status.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list