Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2008 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Iran: Russia, China Unlikely To Welcome Tehran Into SCO RFE/RL 29 Mar 2008 -- After meeting Tajik President Emomali Rahmon in Dushanbe last week, Iranian Foreign Minister Manuchehr Mottaki announced that Rahmon has promised to support Tehran's bid to become a member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
- Iran deplores human losses in US-UK air raids on Iraq IRNA 29 Mar 2008 -- Iran deplores human losses in the current waves of US-UK air raids on civilians in Iraq, Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini on Saturday.
- Ayat. Jannati: US presence in Iraq brings nothing but misery IRNA 28 Mar 2008 -- Substitute Friday Prayers Leader of Tehran Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati said here Friday that the US presence in Iraq has had nothing but misery and misfortune.
- Iran protests to UN over ignoring int'l law by Security Council IRNA 26 Mar 2008 -- Iran on Wednesday protested to United Nations Secretary-General over negligence of the international law by the Security Council in passing resolutions against Iran.
- Iran protests sanctions, seeks compensation RIA Novosti 26 Mar 2008 -- Tehran issued a protest on Wednesday over UN Security Council resolutions imposed against Iran since 2006 and demanded compensation for the losses inflicted on the country.
- Cheney Accuses Hamas, Syria and Iran of Trying to Torpedo Mideast Peace VOA 24 Mar 2008 -- U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney said Monday that Hamas militants, backed by Syria and Iran are trying to "torpedo" current peace negotiations between Israel and moderate Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
- Iranian President Faces Challenges Despite Electoral Win VOA 20 Mar 2008 -- Loyalists of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad were big winners in the recent parliamentary elections.
- Iran/U.S.: President Bush Talks To Radio Farda RFE/RL 20 Mar 2008 -- This is a full transcript of an exclusive interview with U.S. President George W. Bush at the White House on March 19, conducted by Radio Farda correspondent Parichehr Farzam
- U.S./Iran: Bush Challenges Tehran, Offers 'Way Forward' In Nuclear Dispute RFE/RL 20 Mar 2008 -- U.S. President George W. Bush has told Persian-language broadcaster Radio Farda in an exclusive interview that it is Iran's "right" to have a civilian nuclear-power program but that there is no need for the country to enrich uranium.
- Bush Calls on Iran to Stop Enriching Uranium VOA 20 Mar 2008 -- President Bush says Iran has the right to have civilian nuclear power as long fuel for its reactors is provided by an outside source
- Iranian Overtures to Latin America Spark US Concern VOA 19 Mar 2008 -- Iranian moves to solidify ties with Venezuela, Bolivia and other leftist governments in Latin America have sparked increasing concern in the United States
- Fingar: Iran Nuclear Assessment Strong, Framing Of Argument Wasn't cfr.org 19 Mar 2008
- Analysis: Conservative Conundrum in Iran cfr.org 18 Mar 2008 -- Polls were barely closed when Brussels fired the first shot condemning Iran's March 14 parliamentary elections
- Farhi: New Iranian Majlis Will Be Critical of Ahmadinejad on Domestic Issues cfr.org 18 Mar 2008
- Iran: Conservatives Claim Victory, But President Faces New Challenges RFE/RL 17 Mar 2008 -- Iran's Interior Ministry says conservative allies of President Mahmud Ahmadinejad have received 70 of the 190 parliamentary seats decided so far, although full results from the March 14 national elections have not been announced.
- Security Council receives additional reports on Iran sanctions UN News Centre 17 Mar 2008 -- The chairman of the Security Council committee monitoring sanctions imposed against Iran said today that additional countries have reported on their implementation of these measures.
- Iranian cooperation with IAEA "routine": Mottaki IRNA 17 Mar 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Monday that Iranian cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency has become "routine" in line with the Non-Proliferation Treaty and IAEA Safeguards.
- FM: UNSC performance undermines IAEA status IRNA 17 Mar 2008 -- The performance of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) undermines the status of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said here Monday.
- EU has made unacceptable statement about Iran election IRNA 17 Mar 2008 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry on Monday ruled out latest statement of the European Union presidency about March 14 parliamentary election in Iran as a hasty, biased and unacceptable move.
- Iran says U.S. missile shield in Turkey would threaten Russia RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2008 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry warned on Monday that the United States' alleged plans to deploy missile defense elements in Turkey could pose a threat to Russia's security.
- Mottaki: Iran not insisting on talk with the US on Iraq IRNA 17 Mar 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said here Monday that Tehran has not made any demand for talks with the US on Iraq's security.
- Iran blasts UN resolution, vows cooperation with IAEA RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2008 -- Iran views a new UN resolution on additional economic sanctions against the Islamic Republic as "unfair," but is willing to continue close cooperation with the UN nuclear watchdog, its foreign minister said on Monday.
- Iran dismisses EU criticism of parliamentary polls RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2008 -- Iran's foreign ministry dismissed Monday criticism by the European Union that Friday's parliamentary election was unfair.
- Iran: President's Allies Win Largest Bloc In Parliament, But Face Challenges RFE/RL 16 Mar 2008 -- Election results in Iran so far indicate that allies of hard-line President Mahmud Ahmadinejad have won the largest share of seats in parliamentary elections.
- Iranian Conservatives Seen Winning 70 Percent of Parliament Seats VOA 16 Mar 2008 -- Iranian officials say almost complete election results indicate conservative candidates will win about 70 percent of the seats in parliament.
- Hard-Liners Take Big Lead In Iranian Election RFE/RL 15 Mar 2008 -- Partial results reported by Iran's state-controlled media show conservatives winning more than two-thirds of the 170 parliamentary mandates tabulated thus far.
- Partial vote count gives election victory to Iran's conservatives RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2008 -- A partial vote count following Iran's parliamentary election has given a landslide victory to conservatives who broadly support the hard-line president, Fars news agency said on Saturday.
- Iran: All Sides Pin Hopes On Turnout, Despite Imbalances RFE/RL 14 Mar 2008 -- Conservatives and reformists alike were urging voters to turn out to cast their ballots in Iran's parliamentary elections in a show of national unity amid economic setbacks and mounting international pressure on Iran over its nuclear program.
- Rafsanjani proposes nuclear negotiations without preconditions IRNA 14 Mar 2008 -- Provisional Friday Prayer Leader of Tehran Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani stressed here Friday only proper solution for Iran's nuclear issue is negotiations without preconditions.
- Iran's leader says Western 'enemies' will not influence election RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2008 -- Iran's president accused the UN Security Council of attempting to influence Friday's general election by imposing sanctions on the country, but said the attempt would fail.
- Conservatives expected to prevail in Iranian parliamentary polls RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2008 -- Iran's estimated 44 million voters began casting their ballots on Friday in parliamentary polls that were expected to see victory for the country's conservatives after many reformists were barred.
- Iranians Vote for New Parliament VOA 14 Mar 2008 -- Voters in Iran are going to the polls for an election that is expected to solidify the conservative majority in parliament, but also possibly strengthen critics of Iran's controversial president
- Iran: Voters See Little Choice, Less Democracy In Parliamentary Poll RFE/RL 13 Mar 2008 -- Here's one, just in: "Participating in this election means supporting the regime. Those who are for it can go and vote."
- Iranians Prepare to Vote in Parliamentary Election VOA 13 Mar 2008 -- Voters in Iran go to the polls on Friday for a parliamentary election seen mainly as a contest between competing conservative factions, after authorities barred the majority of reformist candidates from running
- Iranian military attacks Kurdish militants on Iraqi border RIA Novosti 13 Mar 2008 -- Iranian troops have launched attacks against two groups of Kurdish separatists on the country's border with Iraq, an Iranian official said on Thursday.
- Luers: Possible Solution for U.S.-Iran Nuclear Standoff cfr.org 13 Mar 2008
- U.S. president extends sanctions against Iran for 1 year RIA Novosti 13 Mar 2008 -- U.S. President George W. Bush signed an order extending sanctions against Iran for another year, the White House press service said.
- Lavrov urges new nuclear talks with Iran RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2008 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov called on the international community on Tuesday to launch new talks with Iran over the country's controversial nuclear program.
- Iran offers Indonesia nuclear cooperation RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2008 -- Iran is ready to share its experience in nuclear engineering with Indonesia, the president of the Islamic Republic said on Tuesday.
- No bilateral talks with US on Tehran's agenda: Hosseini IRNA 10 Mar 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, said on Monday that no bilateral talks with the US was on Tehran's agenda for the time being.
- Iran says ready to negotiate with EU over its nuclear program RIA Novosti 09 Mar 2008 -- Iran is ready to negotiate with the European Union over its controversial nuclear program, if these talks were productive, Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Sunday.
- Survey: Vast Majority of Iranians Want to Elect Supreme Leader VOA 09 Mar 2008 -- A new opinion poll suggests the vast majority of Iranians want to directly elect their supreme leader and be able to replace him.
- Iran-U.S. talks on Iraq put on hold RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2008 -- The fourth round of Iranian-U.S. talks on Iraqi security in Baghdad, which were to have taken place on March 6, has been postponed indefinitely, Iran's ambassador to Iraq said on Friday.
- US refuses to attend talks on Iraq security IRNA 06 Mar 2008 -- The US announced on Thursday that was not well-prepared to attend trilateral talks on Iraq's security.
- President: Untold aspects of nuclear issue will be declared in future IRNA 06 Mar 2008 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday that there are many events taking in the world which will be declared in the future but "We cannot divulge them at this juncture."
- Iraq: Sunnis Say Iran Working To Solidify Economic Control RFE/RL 05 Mar 2008 -- Even before his foot touched Iraqi soil, Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad had much to celebrate.
- State Dept: No Talks With Iran on Iraqi Security Scheduled This Week VOA 05 Mar 2008 -- The U.S. State Department says it is not aware of talks on Iraqi security that Iranian and Iraqi officials said would resume in Baghdad this week.
- Report: Iranian Delegation in Baghdad to Discuss Iraqi Security with US VOA 05 Mar 2008 -- Iranian media say a delegation from Tehran arrived in Baghdad Wednesday, for a new round of talks with U.S. officials about security in Iraq.
- US has record of making unfounded allegations: Iran IRNA 05 Mar 2008 -- Making unfounded allegations by the United States against Iran is not something unprecedented, Iranian Ambassador to IAEA said on Wednesday.
- IAEA Board wraps up session on Iran's nuclear program IRNA 05 Mar 2008 -- International Atomic Energy Agency's Board of Governors ended its Wednesday session after investigating Iran's nuclear case based on the Agency Chief Mohammad ElBaradei's report.
- Larijani: 3rd anti-Iran resolution shows US' maniac attitude IRNA 05 Mar 2008 -- A top Iranian nuclear official said here Wednesday that the third anti-Iran UN Security Council resolution, which was adopted in New York on March 3, showed the 'maniac' attitude of the US and its allies.
- Iran will not talk about nuclear issue outside IAEA: President IRNA 05 Mar 2008 -- Iran would no longer negotiate over its peaceful nuclear issue as it has become "normalized," President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Wednesday.
- Ahmadinejad says UN resolution has 'no authority' RIA Novosti 05 Mar 2008 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad dismissed on Wednesday the latest sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council, saying the new resolution lacked authority.
- Iran/Iraq: Trade Flow Increases, But Mostly From Tehran To Baghdad RFE/RL 04 Mar 2008 -- Since the collapse of the Saddam Hussein regime in 2003, Iraq has seen a large influx of goods from various countries, most prominently from Iran.
- Security Council will not endorse use of force to deal with Iran - President UN News Centre 04 Mar 2008 -- The Security Council, which yesterday imposed additional sanctions against Iran for its nuclear activities, will not support the use of force to deal with that issue, the 15-member body's President for March stated today.
- Vaeedi: Iran's peaceful nuclear activities angered US IRNA 04 Mar 2008 -- Deputy Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) for International Affairs Javad Vaeedi here on Tuesday said the UNSC resolution against Iran was a symbolic action in reaction to peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear activities which angered the US and its allies.
- Mottaki: IAEA should probe Zionist regime nuclear arsenal IRNA 04 Mar 2008 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Tuesday that the IAEA should find out how the Zionist regime has been armed with nuclear weapons and put the issue on its agenda.
- Hosseini strongly condemns UNSC resolution against Iran IRNA 04 Mar 2008 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini here on Tuesday strongly condemned the new UNSC resolution against Iran which runs counter to IAEA rules and regulations.
- Larijani: UNSC anti-Iran resolution discredited IAEA IRNA 04 Mar 2008 -- The Supreme Leader's representative to Supreme National Security Council Ali Larijani said on Tuesday that the recent UNSC resolution against Iran's peaceful nuclear activities has iscredited the IAEA.
- Security Council has ignored IAEA expertise: Iran IRNA 04 Mar 2008 -- Full implementation of the work plan and closure of the outstanding issues have eliminated the pretexts and allegations on the basis of which Iran's nuclear program was referred to the Security Council, Iranian Ambassador to the United Nations Mohammad Khazaee said in his address to the Security Council.
- 3rd anti-Iran resolution adopted under US intensive pressure: MP IRNA 04 Mar 2008 -- The United Nations Security Council adopted a third resolution against the people of Iran under extensive pressure of the United States, a senior parliamentarian said in this western city on Tuesday.
- Iran: Russia Blocks New IAEA Resolution Against Tehran RFE/RL 04 Mar 2008 -- Diplomats in Vienna say Russia's support for new UN sanctions against Tehran is linked to a pledge from Western states to drop plans for a new Iran resolution at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- Iran defies UN sanctions, pledges to continue nuclear work RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2008 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry on Tuesday dismissed the latest sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council, and said it would continue work on its nuclear program.
- Russia expects Iran to comply with new UN resolution RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2008 -- Russia expects Iran to fully comply with IAEA demands and a new UN Security Council resolution, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
- Russia says new sanctions give Iran chance to review nuke program RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2008 -- Russia's envoy to the UN said after a UN Security Council meeting that new sanctions imposed against Iran would give Tehran a chance to review its controversial nuclear program.
- Iran Condemns New UN Sanctions VOA 04 Mar 2008 -- Iran is condemning the United Nations Security Council for imposing new sanctions on Tehran for its controversial nuclear program.
- AFGHANISTAN-IRAN: Iran says it will deport over one million Afghans IRIN 04 Mar 2008 -- All Afghan citizens in Iran without valid refugee documents will be deported, Seyyed Taghi Ghaemi, director of the Iranian bureau for aliens and foreign immigrants, told reporters at the end of a two-day meeting with Afghan and UN officials in Kabul on 3 March.
- Albright: Next U.S. President Must Deal Quickly with Iran Nuclear Program cfr.org 03 Mar 2008
- Analysis: Iran's Regional Revolution cfr.org 03 Mar 2008 -- When President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad arrived in Baghdad March 2 for the first visit by an Iranian head of state since 1979, Iraq's political delegation greeted him with open arms. Some even offered hugs
- Security Council authorizes more sanctions against Iran over nuclear issue UN News Centre 03 Mar 2008 -- The Security Council today imposed additional sanctions against Iran, including the inspection of cargo suspected of carrying prohibited goods, the tighter monitoring of financial institutions and the extension of travel bans and asset freezes, over its nuclear programme.
- UN Security Council Imposes New Sanctions Against Iran VOA 03 Mar 2008 -- The United Nations Security Council has passed a resolution imposing a third round of sanctions on Iran for its controversial nuclear program
- IAEA to Investigate Report on Iran Nuclear Intentions VOA 03 Mar 2008 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency says his group will continue looking into a report about Tehran's nuclear ambitions, while urging Iran to be open and transparent.
- President says his visit thwarted enemies plots to isolate Iraq IRNA 03 Mar 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Monday that his Iraq visit thwarted plots of enemies to isolate the Iraqi nation and government.
- Ahmadinejad: Iran ready for talks with US on Iraq IRNA 03 Mar 2008 -- Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Monday that Iran is ready for talks with the US on Iraq's security.
- Iran's President Says Foreign Forces Should Leave Iraq VOA 03 Mar 2008 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says U.S.-led foreign forces should leave Iraq, accusing the U.S. of bringing terrorism and destruction to the region.
- ElBaradei: IAEA has clarified scope, nature of Iran's enrichment program IRNA 03 Mar 2008 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency Chief Mohamed ElBaradei said on Monday that the IAEA has managed to clarify scope and nature of Iran's enrichment program, i.e. the P1 and P2 centrifuges.
- Soltaniyeh: IAEA boars of governors unauthorized to ratify any resolution IRNA 03 Mar 2008 -- Iran's Ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Ali-Asghar Soltaniyeh said on Monday that the Board of Governors is not authorized to confirm any resolution against Tehran.
- Iran urges UN Security Council not to undermine IAEA IRNA 03 Mar 2008 -- Iran's Ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency Ali-Asghar Soltanieh on Monday gave warning to the United Nations Security Council over undermining the agency by negligence of Iran report on February 22.
- Iran says new UN sanctions would weaken IAEA's authority RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2008 -- Iran's envoy to the United Nations nuclear watchdog warned Monday that new international sanctions against his country would weaken the organization's authority.
- Bush Urges Iraqi Leaders to Give Ahmadinejad Clear Message VOA 01 Mar 2008 -- President Bush says Iraq needs a long-term security agreement with the United States to ensure the success of its democracy
- Iraq can solve its own problems - Ahmadinejad RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2008 -- The people of Iraq can resolve their internal problems without the involvement of any foreign states, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Saturday, ahead of his official visit to Baghdad.
- Ahmadinejad: West not pleased with Iran-IAEA good cooperation IRNA 02 Mar 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says some in the West are not pleased with the outcome of good cooperation between Iran and the IAEA.
- Mottaki advises US to set aside obstinacy IRNA 02 Mar 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki here Sunday urged US statesmen to be sincere with their own nation and set aside obstinacy and officially recognize the inalienable rights of NPT members.
- IAEA Board of Governors urged to consider truth IRNA 02 Mar 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad-Ali Hosseini on Sunday urged Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency to consider truth in decision making.
- IAEA report documents Iran has answered to all questions IRNA 02 Mar 2008 -- The report the International Atomic Energy Agency released on February 22 is a document that Iran has answered all the questions raised by the specialized agency about Iranian nuclear program, Iran's Embassy in Oman said in a statement.
- Iran urges UN Security Council not to make unreasonable decision IRNA 01 Mar 2008 -- Iran urged the United Nations Security Council on Saturday not to make any unreasonable decision about Iran.
- Iran rebuffs Security Council debate IRNA 01 Mar 2008 -- Government spokesman Gholam-Hossein Elham said here on Saturday that examining Iran's peaceful nuclear program at the UN Security Council is futile and an illegal act.
- Iran sanctions draft submitted to UN RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2008 -- A draft resolution imposing a third set of sanctions against Iran has been submitted to the UN Security Council, a Western diplomat said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list