Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2006 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- Weekly on North Korea (August 25-31, 2006) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Bolstering Military Power for Self-Defence Called for KCNA 31 Aug 2006 -- The sovereignty of a country and nation can be firmly defended only when they bolster the self-defensive capability to be strong enough to decisively frustrate the imperialists' moves for aggression, interference and war.
- Cuban Embassy Officials Visit Ryongnam Ship Repair Yard and West Sea Barrage KCNA 31 Aug 2006 -- Ruben Perez Valdes, Cuban ambassador to the DPRK, and officials of the Cuban embassy visited the Ryongnam Ship Repair Yard in Nampho, South Phyongan Province, on the west coast of Korea on Aug. 29
- Lesson Shown by Lebanon War KCNA 31 Aug 2006 -- The United States sustained shameful defeat in the Lebanon war.
- DPRK Will Never Back Away from Road of Socialism KCNA 31 Aug 2006 -- The army and people of the DPRK will never back away from the road of socialism of Juche chosen by themselves no matter how many trials may lie in their way, says Rodong Sinmun today in an editorial article
- South Korean Media Report Kim Jong Il May Have Started Secret Visit to China VOA 30 Aug 2006 -- South Korean media say North Korean leader Kim Jong Il may have begun a visit to his neighbor and ally, China
- KCNA Comments on "Ulji Focus Lens" Joint Military Exercises KCNA 30 Aug 2006 -- The U.S.-south Korea "Ulji Focus Lens" joint military exercises against the DPRK are now getting frantic.
- Military Collusion between U.S. and Japan under Fire KCNA 30 Aug 2006 -- Japan requested cooperation from the U.S. in the earlier deployment of the missile defence system (MD) at an examiner-level consultation between foreign and defence authorities of the U.S. and Japan held in Washington on August 7 and 8.
- Senior Party and State Officials Congratulate Young People KCNA 29 Aug 2006 -- Senior party and state officials of the DPRK congratulated young people Monday on the Youth Day.
- Politics of Attaching Importance to Youth Initiated by President Kim Il Sung KCNA 29 Aug 2006 -- The Youth Day, which falls on August 28, is being significantly observed in the DPRK.
- U.S. Imperialists' Reckless War Game Flayed KCNA 29 Aug 2006 -- The U.S. imperialists' madcap "Ulji Focus Lens" joint military exercises against the DPRK in south Korea are, no doubt, an undisguised military threat and blackmail and a grave war action against it, states a Rodong Sinmun commentary Monday.
- U.S. Imperialists' Arbitrary Practice Assailed KCNA 29 Aug 2006 -- Rodong Sinmun Monday in a signed commentary discloses the fact that the U.S. embassy in Seoul has used the land and buildings free of charge for several decades.
- Young People Called upon to Play Pace-Setter's Role in All Fields KCNA 29 Aug 2006 -- The Korean youth movement will always emerge victorious as long as there are the invincible ranks of youth advancing along the road of the Juche revolution indicated by the "Down-with-Imperialism Union (DIU)" and the great Workers' Party of Korea's idea of attaching importance to the youth and its leadership.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Company of KPA Unit KCNA 29 Aug 2006 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected a company of KPA Unit 851
- Kim Jong Il Inspects KPA Unit KCNA 29 Aug 2006 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected KPA Unit 1643.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman Demands U.S. Lift of Financial Sanctions KCNA 28 Aug 2006 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry released a statement on August 26 accusing the United States of more persistently escalating its financial sanctions against the DPRK
- Rodong Sinmun on U.S. Moves for Nuclear War KCNA 28 Aug 2006 -- To frustrate the moves of the U.S. imperialists for invasion of the DPRK is very urgent and important in preventing a war on the Korean Peninsula and ensuring peace in Asia and the rest of the world.
- Japanese Authorities Accused of Disallowing DPRK Delegation's Entry KCNA 28 Aug 2006 -- A spokesman for the Korean Council of Religionists issued a statement on August 26 to accuse the Japanese authorities of disallowing the entry of a delegation of the council to participate in the 8th regular meeting of the World Conference of Religions for Peace now under way in Kyoto.
- Drive Force of Revolution Strengthened under Banner of Songun KCNA 28 Aug 2006 -- The revolutionary struggle can never advance unless its driving force is strengthened as it is an untrodden road and the imperialists and the enemies are continuing their wicked moves to obliterate the popular masses' cause of independence, says Rodong Sinmun in a signed article Saturday.
- Rumsfeld Says N. Korea Poses No Immediate Military Threat to South VOA 27 Aug 2006 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld says he does not see North Korea as an immediate military threat to South Korea.
- Weekly on North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service August. 21 - August. 27, 2006
- South Korea, China to Cooperate on Preventing North Korean Nuclear Test VOA 26 Aug 2006 -- The chief security advisor to South Korea's president says Seoul and Beijing have agreed to cooperate to try to prevent North Korea from conducting a nuclear weapons test.
- Kim Jong Il's Immortal Exploits in Songun Revolutionary Leadership KCNA 26 Aug 2006 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Il, who has taken the Songun idea and the Songun revolutionary line of President Kim Il Sung as his political creed, started his Songun revolutionary leadership with his historic inspection of the Guard Seoul Ryu Kyong Su 105 Tank Division on August 25, Juche 49 (1960).
- Papers Call for Glorifying History of Songun Revolutionary Leadership KCNA 26 Aug 2006 -- Papers here Friday dedicate editorials to the 46th anniversary of Kim Jong Il's start of Songun revolutionary leadership
- Increasing Role of NAM Called for KCNA 26 Aug 2006 -- The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is an international movement, which rejects joining any military bloc, advocates independence against all manner of domination, subjugation, aggression and war and strives for international friendship and solidarity
- South Korea Cautions Against Pressuring North Korea, But Warns Against Nuclear Test VOA 25 Aug 2006 -- South Korea's foreign minister has cautioned against pushing North Korea into a corner on its nuclear weapons programs, but he also warned the North against testing a nuclear explosive.
- National Meeting Held to Mark Kim Jong Il's Start of Songun Revolutionary Leadership KCNA 25 Aug 2006 -- A national meeting to celebrate the 46th anniversary of Kim Jong Il's start of Songun revolutionary leadership was held at the April 25 House of Culture on Thursday.
- Rodong Sinmun on Mettle of Young Vanguard KCNA 25 Aug 2006 -- Rodong Sinmun Thursday dedicates an article to the 10th anniversary of Kim Jong Il's famous work "Let Us Exalt the Brilliance of Comrade Kim Il Sung's Idea on the Youth Movement and the Achievements Made under His Leadership."
- 60th Anniversary of Three-Revolution Exhibition Marked KCNA 25 Aug 2006 -- A meeting to mark the 60th anniversary of the Three-Revolution Exhibition was held on Wednesday.
- DPRK Will Bolster War Deterrent with Utmost Efforts: KPA General Staff Chief KCNA 25 Aug 2006 -- We will keenly watch the moves of the United States and its followers including Japan to stifle the DPRK with sharp vigilance and do our utmost to bolster our self-defensive war deterrent, unhindered by anything, tightly holding the revolutionary banner of Songun, thus adding shine to the ever-victorious history of the Korean revolution covering centuries, declared Kim Yong Chun, chief of the General Staff of the Korean People's Army
- China-North Korea Relations Tested as Reports Say Kim Jong Il to Visit Beijing VOA 24 Aug 2006 -- Reports say North Korean leader Kim Jong Il is to visit China next week as concerns grow that Pyongyang may soon test a nuclear explosive
- Rodong Sinmun Criticizes "Ulji Focus Lens" Joint Military Exercises KCNA 24 Aug 2006 -- The "Ulji Focus Lens" joint military exercises, which the U.S. instigated the south Korean bellicose forces to stage from August 21, are a preliminary war to perfect the battle command and operation system of the aggression forces and complete preparations for a war on the basis of the new military policy against the DPRK.
- Seoul Warns Pyongyang Against Nuclear Test VOA 23 Aug 2006 -- South Korea's foreign minister has urged North Korea not to conduct a nuclear test, warning that to do so would "shake the foundation of the global non-proliferation system."
- Thailand Discovers 175 North Korean Refugees Hiding in Bangkok VOA 23 Aug 2006 -- The Thai government is holding talks with the United Nations and the South Korean government after Thai police detained 175 North Koreans at a house in Bangkok.
- KPA Panmunjom Mission Terms "Ulji Focus Lens" War Action KCNA 23 Aug 2006 -- A spokesman for the Panmunjom Mission of the Korean People's Army issued a statement Tuesday condemning the "Ulji Focus Lens" joint military exercises that started in south Korea on Monday at a time when the U.S. has become ever more undisguised in its hostile policy towards the DPRK and its moves to isolate and stifle the latter and the stand-off between the DPRK and the U.S. has reached an extreme phase.
- Rodong Sinmun on Tradition of Juche Literature and Art KCNA 23 Aug 2006 -- It is the important task which should be firmly grasped in the building of Juche-based literature and art to defend and successfully carry forward the tradition of revolutionary literature and art of the Workers' Party of Korea established in the flames of the anti-Japanese war, declares Rodong Sinmun in a signed article Tuesday.
- Minju Joson on Danger of War in Korea KCNA 23 Aug 2006 -- The joint military exercises "Ulji Focus Lens", a product of the U.S. ambition for invasion of the DPRK, indicate that the U.S. moves to stifle the DPRK are going over to the phase of using force from the phase of economic blockade, says Minju Joson today in a signed commentary.
- Rim Tong Ok Passes Away KCNA 22 Aug 2006 -- Rim Tong Ok, deputy to the DPRK Supreme People's Assembly and director of a department of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, died of an incurable disease at the age of 70 at 7 a.m. on Aug. 20, Juche 95 (2006).
- Flow to Independence Cannot Be Turned Back: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 22 Aug 2006 -- No moves of the imperialists can put down the independent purpose and desire of the progressives or turn back the main stream of the present era toward independence, declares Rodong Sinmun on Monday.
- Pyongyang Condemns South Korean-American Military Drill VOA 22 Aug 2006 -- North Korea has condemned the annual military exercises between the United States and South Korea in harsh terms, calling them a "wartime activity" that violates the ceasefire that ended the Korean War in 1953.
- Vietnam Investigating North Korean Bank Accounts VOA 22 Aug 2006 -- Vietnam is acting on a U.S. request to see whether North Korea has opened accounts in several Vietnamese banks
- Global Action for Putting End to U.S. Interference in Internal Affairs of Other Countries Called for KCNA 21 Aug 2006 -- The United States is disclosing its ugly colors as the chieftain of aggression and interference in the internal affairs of other countries.
- All Koreans Called upon to Struggle for Withdrawal of U.S. Forces from South Korea KCNA 21 Aug 2006 -- The Koreans should no longer allow the U.S. imperialists to stay in south Korea as they are advancing under the banner of "By our nation itself" in the era of independent reunification, observes Rodong Sinmun
- Kim Il Sung's Exploits in Building Air Force KCNA 21 Aug 2006 -- The Air Force Day which falls on August 20 is significantly observed in the DPRK.
- North, South Korea Reverse Course to Reach Food Aid Deal VOA 21 Aug 2006 -- After weeks of refusing outside assistance, North Korea is now accepting humanitarian aid for victims of the country's devastating floods
- Weekly on North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service August. 14 - August. 20, 2006
- KCNA Blasts Military Adventure of U.S. and South Korean Warmongers KCNA 19 Aug 2006 -- The U.S. and south Korean warlike forces are going to stage "Ulji Focus Lens" joint military exercises in south Korea despite the repeated warnings of the DPRK
- Philosophical Principle of Juche Idea KCNA 19 Aug 2006 -- The Juche idea is based on the philosophical principle that man is the master of everything and decides everything, which was fathered by President Kim Il Sung
- Bush Declines Comment on Possible North Korea Nuclear Test VOA 18 Aug 2006 -- President Bush will not say whether U.S. intelligence officials believe North Korea is planning a nuclear test.
- South Korea: No Indication of North Korean Nuclear Test VOA 18 Aug 2006 -- South Korea's top official on relations with North Korea says he has seen no evidence that Pyongyang is preparing to test a nuclear device
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for More Vigorous Anti-War Struggle KCNA 18 Aug 2006 -- The struggle against the United States, Japan and the "government" is growing fiercer across south Korea with the involvement of many people from all walks of life
- KCNA Slams Japan's Hostile Policy toward DPRK KCNA 18 Aug 2006 -- Japan's hostile campaign against the DPRK has gone beyond the danger line recently.
- National Seminar on Songun Idea Held KCNA 18 Aug 2006 -- A national seminar on the Songun idea was held at the People's Palace of Culture Thursday
- Russia has no info on preparation for N.Korea nuclear tests RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2006 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry said Friday it had no information confirming that North Korea was preparing to launch nuclear tests.
- South Korea to Discuss Aid for Flood Victims in North VOA 17 Aug 2006 -- After initially turning down offers of emergency aid following devastating floods, North Korea has told South Korean Red Cross officials it is willing to discuss assistance for the flood victims
- Talks between Delegations of DPRK and China KCNA 17 Aug 2006 -- Talks between a delegation of the Ministry of People's Security of the DPRK and a delegation of the Ministry of Public Security of China were held at the People's Palace of Culture on Tuesday.
- DPRK and China Cooperate in Public Security KCNA 17 Aug 2006 -- An agreement on cooperation between the DPRK Ministry of People's Security and the Chinese Ministry of Public Security was signed at the People's Palace of Culture on August 15.
- KCNA Blasts Japanese PM's Visit to "Yasukuni Shrine" KCNA 17 Aug 2006 -- Japanese Prime Minister Koizumi Tuesday visited the "Yasukuni Shrine" despite strong protest at home and abroad.
- S. Korea-U.S. Joint Military Exercises under Fire KCNA 17 Aug 2006 -- The "Ulji Focus Lens" joint military exercises to be staged by the U.S. and south Korean armies from August 21 are a very dangerous military action and a test war aimed to complete the battle commanding and operational system of the aggressor forces for the provocation of a new Korean war and easily attain the purpose of the war.
- All Koreans Called upon to Crush For. Aggressor Forces through National Cooperation KCNA 17 Aug 2006 -- The force of national cooperation represents the might of independence and unity capable of meeting any challenge of foreign aggressors.
- "Complete Collection of Kim Il Sung's Works" Vol.64 Brought Out KCNA 16 Aug 2006 --Complete Collection of Kim Il Sung's Works" Vol. 64, a library of the great Juche idea, was brought out by the Workers' Party of Korea Publishing House.
- 61st Anniversary of Liberation of Korea Observed KCNA 16 Aug 2006 -- Papers here today dedicate editorials to the 61st anniversary of the liberation of Korea.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Performance Given by KPA State Merited Chorus KCNA 16 Aug 2006 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il together with servicepersons of the KPA, watched a performance given by the State Merited Chorus of the KPA.
- Floral Baskets Laid before Kim Il Sung's Statues KCNA 16 Aug 2006 -- People from all walks of life across the country laid floral baskets before the statues of President Kim Il Sung today on the occasion of the 61st anniversary of the liberation of the country.
- Respect Paid to President Kim Il Sung KCNA 16 Aug 2006 -- People from all walks of life visited the Kumsusan Memorial Palace on August 15 to pay respect to President Kim Il Sung on the occasion of the 61st anniversary of the liberation of the country.
- Koreans Called upon to Force U.S. to Pay for Blood Shed by Them KCNA 15 Aug 2006 -- The Koreans will never forget the monstrous massacres committed by the U.S. imperialists but certainly force them to pay for the blood shed by them.
- U.S. False Propaganda prior to Military Invasion under Fire KCNA 14 Aug 2006 -- -- It is preposterous for the U.S. imperialists to resort to a false propaganda against other countries, lording it over in the international arena and this is nothing but a mockery of humankind.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Stock-Breeding Centre of KPA Unit KCNA 14 Aug 2006 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected the stock-breeding centre of KPA Unit 757.
- Weekly on North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service August. 7 - August. 13, 2006
- Seminar Held to Observe Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work KCNA 12 Aug 2006 -- -- A seminar was held Thursday to observe the 10th anniversary of the publication of the famous work of Kim Jong Il "On Bringing about a New Turn in the Land Management".
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Applying Common Idea of Nation KCNA 12 Aug 2006 -- -- The way of opening a new phase for the cause of national reunification and bringing earlier the day of reunification is to thoroughly apply the idea of "By our nation itself" and more dynamically conduct the three-point patriotic movement
- Stream of People Visit Arch of Triumph KCNA 12 Aug 2006 -- More and more people from all walks of life are visiting the Arch of Triumph magnificently standing at the foot of Moran Hill in Pyongyang these days
- Seoul to Provide Flood Aid to North Korea VOA 11 Aug 2006 -- The South Korean government has announced a more than $10 million aid package to help flood ravaged regions of North Korea
- U.S. Termed World's Biggest Biological and Chemical War Criminal KCNA 11 Aug 2006 -- With no trick can the U.S. cover up its true colors as the world's biggest biological and chemical war criminal and arch proliferator of weapons of mass destruction (WMD), says Rodong Sinmun Thursday in a signed article.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Improved Labor Administration KCNA 11 Aug 2006 -- -- It stands out with greater urgency in the drive for the building of a great prosperous powerful nation today to improve labor administration, says Rodong Sinmun in a signed article Thursday.
- Rodong Sinmun on Spirit of Self-Reliance and Fortitude KCNA 09 Aug 2006 -- Victory of the Korean revolution and the revolutionary spirit of the Korean army and people are unthinkable without self-reliance and fortitude.
- Spirit of Defending Leader with Life Displayed by Flood Victims KCNA 09 Aug 2006 -- Korean People are willing to dedicate their lives for guarding the leader.
- Koreans Urged to Maintain Strong National Self-Esteem KCNA 08 Aug 2006 -- The Korean nation has nothing to fear and impossible as it is inspired by the great Songun politics defending its dignity and sovereignty and strong will to live independently and the united strength of the 70 million Koreans
- Rodong Sinmun on Defending Peace against War KCNA 07 Aug 2006 -- Sovereignty and peace of countries can be defended and construction of a new independent and peaceful world accelerated only when the peace-loving people of the world firmly unite and turn out in a vigorous struggle for defending peace against war.
- Weekly on North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service July. 31 - August. 6, 2006
- Anniversary of DPRK-Russia Moscow Declaration Observed KCNA 05 Aug 2006 -- Today marks the 5th anniversary of the DPRK-Russia Moscow Declaration adopted during the historic Russia visit paid by General Secretary Kim Jong Il.
- Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work Marked KCNA 05 Aug 2006 -- Rodong Sinmun Friday dedicates a signed article to the 9th anniversary of Kim Jong Il's work "Let Us Carry Out the Great Leader Comrade Kim Il Sung's Instructions for National Reunification".
- Samsu Hydro-power Station Nears Completion KCNA 04 Aug 2006 -- A number of people are visiting the Samsu Hydro-power Station, the construction of which is progressing apace at the final stage as one more monumental edifice in the Songun era.
- Talks Held between Foreign Ministers of DPRK and Singapore KCNA 04 Aug 2006 -- Talks between Foreign Minister Paek Nam Sun who is heading the DPRK delegation on an official visit to Singapore and Singaporean Foreign Minister George Yong-Boon Yeo were held in Singapore on Tuesday
- South Korean Report Says North Building Missile Bases, Cooperating With Iran VOA 03 Aug 2006 -- South Korean researchers warn North Korea is building new missile bases at home, while it seeks help from Iran to improve and market its long-range missile technology.
- Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work Marked KCNA 03 Aug 2006 -- Rodong Sinmun today dedicates an article to the 32nd anniversary of Kim Jong Il's famous work in which he called for dynamically pushing ahead with the drive to model the whole society on the Juche idea through the radical improvement of the Party work
- U.S. Moves for New War under Fire KCNA 02 Aug 2006 -- The U.S. imperialists are contemplating Ulji Focus Lens joint military exercises in the wake of their RIMPAC-2006 madcap joint military exercises staged in the Pacific under the simulated conditions of military attacks on the DPRK.
- Arboretum of Kumsusan Memorial Palace, Plant-breeding Farm KCNA 02 Aug 2006 -- The arboretum of Kumsusan Memorial Palace in Pyongyang has been built as a comprehensive plant-breeding farm
- S. Korea's Launch of Spy Satellite under Fire KCNA 02 Aug 2006 -- South Korea launched a satellite aimed at spying on the north at a time when the situation is getting extremely tense on the Korean Peninsula due to the U.S. reckless sanctions and moves for a nuclear war against the north.
- Border Shooting Highlights Rising Tensions on Korean Peninsula VOA 01 Aug 2006 -- Tensions between North and South Korea are again on the rise - with a shooting incident at their heavily fortified border and the cancellation of a joint liberation day celebration.
- At least 160 Cases of U.S. Aerial Espionage Committed in July KCNA 01 Aug 2006 -- The U.S. imperialists committed at least 160 cases of aerial espionage against the DPRK in July, according to military sources. Involved there were strategic and tactical reconnaissance planes based in south Korea and overseas.
- Rodong Sinmun Lashes at Scheduled "Ulji Focus Lens" KCNA 01 Aug 2006 -- The scheme of the United States to stage massive "Ulji Focus Lens" joint military drills with the south Korean trigger-happy forces comes under fire in Rodong Sinmun Monday
- Women's Company, First of Its Kind in Korea KCNA 01 Aug 2006 -- Sixty years have passed since the promulgation of the Law on Sex Equality in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list