Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2013 - Iran Special Weapons News
- No Defense Deals With Iran While Litigation Continues RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2013 -- Russia won’t negotiate any defense contracts with Iran as long as the Islamic Republic continues its litigation with Moscow over a failed S-300 air defense systems deal.
- Iran Walking Fine Line on Syria VOA 29 Aug 2013 -- Iran is wording responses to Syria's alleged use of chemical weapons very carefully, although its rhetoric towards the international community remains tough.
- U.S.-Iran Rapprochement: Over Before It Started? RFE/RL 29 Aug 2013 -- A U.S.-led military attack on Syria will inevitably cause collateral damage, and one casualty could be rising optimism for rapprochement between Tehran and Washington.
- Iran dismisses Western reports on Parchin military site PressTV 29 Aug 2013 -- Head of Iranís Atomic Energy Organization Salehi has dismissed as ďunscientificĒ reports regarding Iranís Parchin military site.
- Iran to take full control of Bushehr nuclear plant in 2 months: Official PressTV 29 Aug 2013 -- Head of Iran Bushehr nuclear power plant says Iranian experts will take full control of the plant from Russians within the next two months.
- S-300 Missiles for Iran ĎDismantled, Scrapped' Ė Manufacturer RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2013 -- The S-300 advanced air defense missile systems that Russia refused to deliver to Iran have now been completely dismantled and scrapped.
- Iran to unveil passive phased array radar system: Senior cmdr. PressTV 29 Aug 2013 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Islamic Republic plans to unveil a passive phased array radar system capable of detecting stealth aircraft.
- IAEA: Iran Installing Advanced Centrifuges RFE/RL 28 Aug 2013 -- Report by the International Atomic Energy Agency says Iran has installed about 1,000 advanced uranium-enrichment centrifuges and is set to test them.
- Amano releases new Iran report IRNA 28 Aug 2013 -- IAEA Chief Yukiya Amano's new report on Iran has been put at the disposal of the IAEA Board of Governors.
- Iran ready to allay concerns over nuclear energy program: Zarif PressTV 28 Aug 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Iran is ready to address concerns over the countryís nuclear energy program.
- Bushehr nuclear power plant to enter industrial exploitation phase in 2 months: official IRNA 28 Aug 2013 -- Head of Bushehr nuclear power plant said Russian contractors will hand over the maintenance and safety responsibilities within the next two months.
- U.S. Citizens Detained or Missing in Iran US Dept. of State 28 Aug 2013
- Iran to launch Sharif satellite into space PressTV 27 Aug 2013 -- President of Sharif University of Technology says Iranian experts have finished the construction of an indigenous satellite called Sharif Sat, which has been delivered to Iran Space Agency to be lifted into the space.
- Iran appoints new ambassador to IAEA IRNA 27 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani on appointed Reza Najafi as new Iranian ambassador to Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Iran rejects human rights investigator Ahmed Shaheed visit request PressTV 27 Aug 2013 -- Iran has turned down a fresh request by UN Human Rights Rapporteur on Iran Ahmed Shaheed to visit the Islamic Republic due to his biased reports.
- CIA files show agency was involved in Iraqís gas attack on Iran PressTV 26 Aug 2013 -- Newly declassified CIA documents show that the United States had a hand in Iraqís deadly chemical attacks on Iran during the 1980-1988 war against the Islamic Republic.
- Iran Army to unveil new air defense achievements PressTV 26 Aug 2013 -- A senior Iranian commander says the country plans to unveil a number of new air defense accomplishments in the near future.
- Iran set to export defense products to different states PressTV 25 Aug 2013 -- Iranís Defense Minister Hossein Dehqan has stressed the importance of defense cooperation with other countries.
- Iran Slams ĎUS Uranium Scenarioí as Bid to Scuttle P5+1 Talks RIA Novosti 24 Aug 2013 -- The US allegation about an attempt by a man from Sierra Leone to sell uranium to Iran is designed to thwart Tehran’s upcoming talks with a group of international mediators.
- U.S. Arrests Man From Sierra Leone Over Alleged Iran Uranium Deal RFE/RL 23 Aug 2013 -- U.S. authorities have charged a man from Sierra Leone with trying to broker a deal to sell yellowcake uranium to Iran.
- Iranís Army to unveil fresh accomplishments late September PressTV 23 Aug 2013 -- Iranís Army plans to showcase its latest military accomplishments on the occasion of the 33rd anniversary of the Islamic Republic's defence against the Iraqi invasion.
- Afghans Rally Against Iranian Interference In Herat RFE/RL 23 Aug 2013 -- Activists in Afghanistan's western province of Herat have protested against what they see as the Iranian interference in the region.
- Iranians Sentenced Over Bomb Plot RFE/RL 22 Aug 2013 -- A Thai court has sentenced one Iranian man to life in prison and given another a 15-year jail term in connection with their involvement in a bomb plot.
- UK seeking renewed ban on Iranís Bank Mellat PressTV 22 Aug 2013 -- The British government is seeking to renew sanctions against Iran's Bank Mellat regardless of a court ruling branding the ban as unlawful.
- Iran a Bright Spot in a Bleak Middle East? VOA 21 Aug 2013 -- The switch in presidents from the provocative Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the sober technocrat, Hassan Rouhani, there is a real chance to de-escalate the nuclear crisis.
- Analysts advise G5+1 to offer Rohani govít new package IRNA 21 Aug 2013 -- Analysts here believe the Group 5+1 should offer a new package of incentives to President Rohani’s government in the course of the new round of talks.
- Iran to unveil domestically made Fateh submarine soon PressTV 21 Aug 2013 -- Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehqan says the Islamic Republic will be unveiling the domestically designed and built Fateh (Conqueror) submarine in the next few months.
- Iran producing new high-tech jet fighter: Top cmdr. PressTV 21 Aug 2013 -- Iran is producing a new state-of-the-art jet fighter, which is the latest in a range of military products manufactured by local experts.
- 'Special Circumstances' Behind Dearth Of Women In Iran's Cabinet RFE/RL 21 Aug 2013 -- Iran's new president apparently has an answer for those who have criticized the lack of women in his cabinet: They aren't up to the task.
- US files on 1953 coup in Iran nothing new: Iran PressTV 20 Aug 2013 -- Iranís Foreign Ministry says the newly-released documents on US involvement in a 1953 coup against a popular Iranian government reveal no previously-unknown information.
- Spokesman says unaware of decision to hand over nuclear case to FM IRNA 20 Aug 2013 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Abbass Araqchi, said on Tuesday that he was unaware of the decision to hand over nuclear case to Foreign Ministry.
- Rouhani will swiftly revive Iranís key planning body PressTV 20 Aug 2013 -- Iranís President Hassan Rouhani plans to reestablish the Management and Planning Organization.
- Iran naval fleet to secure oil tankers in international waters PressTV 20 Aug 2013 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the Islamic Republicís 27th naval fleet has been dispatched to international waters.
- Putting Rivalries Aside, All Main Kurdish Parties To Meet For First Time RFE/RL 20 Aug 2013 -- Across the four countries where most of the world's Kurds live, competing ideologies and rivalries have prevented the emergence of a single unified Kurdish movement.
- Salehi determined to continue AEOI current programs IRNA 19 Aug 2013 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi has said he is determined to pursue programs set by former AEOI's officials.
- IRGC Navy responsible to maintain security of Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz IRNA 19 Aug 2013 -- Deputy Commander of Navy of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Rear-Admiral Ali Reza Tangsiri said on Monday IRGC Navy is responsible to powerfully protect the security of the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz.
- Iran reaffirms desire for talks with P5+1 Iran Press TV 19 Aug 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has reaffirmed Tehran's intention to resume talks with the P5+1 group of world powers in view of a solution to the Islamic Republic's nuclear issue.
- CIA admits role in 1953 Iran coup against democratically-elected Mosadeq Iran Press TV 19 Aug 2013 -- The US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has for the first time published a document that confirms Washington's role in the 1953 coup d'état against the democratically-elected Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mosadeq.
- Salehi expresses hope nuclear issue ends up in win-win solution IRNA 18 Aug 2013 -- Iran's new Head of Atomic Energy Organization Ali Akbar Salehi expressed hope that the new administration of President Hassan Rohani could manage Iran's nuclear issue in such a way that it ends up in a win-win solution.
- FM voices Iran's readiness for purposive talks IRNA 18 Aug 2013 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a telephone conversation Saturday evening with European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton stressed Iran's readiness to hold purposive talks within definite time framework.
- 18,000 centrifuges working in Iran ISNA 18 Aug 2013 -- Former Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Fereydoun Abbasi announced on Sunday that some 18,000 centrifuges have been installed across the country and are working.
- Iran to hold drills in months ISNA 18 Aug 2013 -- Iran plans to hold two massive ground and naval military maneuvers in coming months.
- Iran to stage naval drills in high seas within months: Sayyari Iran Press TV 18 Aug 2013 -- Iran Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the Islamic Republic's naval forces are to hold massive drills in the second half of the current Iranian calendar year (started March 21, 2013).
- Iran Has 18,000 Uranium Centrifuges, 10,000 Active – Report RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2013 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran has a total of 18,000 centrifuges for uranium enrichment, including 10,000 ones which are already active, the ISNA news agency has reported citing the country's outgoing nuclear chief.
- Rohani promises to heed recommendations of Expediency Council IRNA 17 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani said on Saturday that his government will heed recommendations of the Expediency Council and other constitutional bodies.
- Iran has 17,000 centrifuges: Ex-official IRNA 17 Aug 2013 -- Ex-Head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization (AEO) Freydoun Abbasi Davani said the main problem in Bushehr Power Plant was in connection with its design and the problem has been solved to a large extent during the past year.
- Rouhani warns of grave consequences of mistakes in foreign policy Iran Press TV 17 Aug 2013 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has warned against the grave consequences of any mistakes in the country's foreign policy, holding officials accountable for blunders in foreign diplomacy.
- IRGC deterrence dissuades enemy attack: IRGC Navy chief Iran Press TV 17 Aug 2013 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy's strategic naval deterrence dissuades the enemies of Iran from any military confrontation in the Persian Gulf, the IRGC Navy chief says.
- Rouhani appoints ex-foreign minister Salehi as AEOI chief Iran Press TV 16 Aug 2013 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has appointed former Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi as vice-president and head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI).
- 15 proposed ministers gain confidence votes, 3 do not IRNA 15 Aug 2013 -- When voting for 18 proposed cabinet ministers for President Hassan Rohani ended minutes ago, Thursday night at Iran's Islamic Parliament ended it was cleared that 15 of them gained confidence votes while 3 did not.
- No decision yet to upgrade level of negotiations with G5+1: FM spokesman IRNA 13 Aug 2013 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Monday that no decision has been made yet to upgrade the level of Iran-G5+1 talks so that foreign ministers of the two sides can take part in the negotiations.
- Araqchi: Bushehr power plant to be officially handed to Iran in few weeks IRNA 13 Aug 2013 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Araqchi said here on Tuesday that the Bushehr nuclear power plant with its full capacity of generating one thousand megawatts of electricity will be officially handed over to Iran in the next few weeks.
- Perhaps Bowing To Pressure, Rohani Appoints Woman To Iranian Cabinet RFE/RL 13 Aug 2013 -- Many women who helped vote Hassan Rohani into office as Iran's new president did so in the hope that he would push for equality.
- No S-300 Substitute for Iran in the Cards – Rosoboronexport RIA Novosti 13 Aug 2013 -- The head of Russia's state-run arms export monopoly said Tuesday that his agency had no plans to provide Iran with replacements for S-300 missile defense systems that Russia has refused to deliver.
- Rosatom: New units to be built in Bushehr Power Plant IRNA 12 Aug 2013 -- An official with the Russian state company "Rosatom" declared that talks about building new units in the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant will begin after completion of the first unit.
- President: New gov't foreign policy is based on moderation IRNA 12 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani said Monday morning that his government's foreign policy is based on moderation to guarantee all-out development and security in the country.
- Vahidi: Defense Ministry in frontline of war against enemies IRNA 12 Aug 2013 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said here on Monday that his ministry stands in the front line of war against enemies.
- Iran to Sign New Nuclear Power Plant Deal with Russia – Minister RIA Novosti 11 Aug 2013 -- Iran intends to sign an agreement with Russia soon on the construction of a new nuclear power plant in the Islamic Republic, Iran's semi-official Mehr news agency reported on Sunday, citing Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi.
- Zimbabwe rejects media reports on uranium export to Iran IRNA 10 Aug 2013 -- Zimbabwe on Saturday rejected a report by British Newspaper "Times" concerning signing up a secret contract between Harare and Tehran to export uranium to Iran, calling it a story made up by the western media.
- Iran to Get Uranium from Zimbabwe – Paper RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2013 -- Iran will get uranium for its nuclear program from Zimbabwe under a secret deal that bypasses a UN ban on such exports to the Middle Eastern country, a British newspaper said Saturday.
- Supreme Leader wishes success for government of President Hassan Rohani IRNA 09 Aug 2013 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Friday wished success for the government of President Hassan Rohani.
- Rosatom Chief: Bushehr nuclear power plant ready for handover IRNA 09 Aug 2013 -- Head of Russia's Rosatom Company Sergey Kirienko announced on Thursday that the delivery of Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant to Iran is in its final stages.
- Iran not refusing talks, considering sanctions as soft invasion IRNA 07 Aug 2013 -- Iran would not refuse talks but at the same time it considers sanctions as a non-military and soft invasion, Chief of Staff of Iranˈs Armed Forces Major General Hassan Firouzabadi said Wednesday.
- Ashton voices readiness to resume G5+1-Iran talks IRNA 07 Aug 2013 -- European Union (EU) foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, expressed the world powers' readiness to engage in "meaningful talks" with Iran over Tehran's nuclear issue.
- Iran's New President Says Country Committed to Nuclear Talks RIA Novosti 06 Aug 2013 -- Iran is committed to resolving conflicts over its nuclear program and is waiting for a response from opponents, the countryís new president said Tuesday.
- Iran's Rouhani Takes Conciliatory Stance VOA 06 Aug 2013 -- Iran's newly sworn-in president swept to victory in the country's June elections by offering a new approach.
- Rohani: Iran seeks win-win game IRNA 06 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani said on Tuesday that Iran seeks a win-win game ensuring both sides' interests.
- Rohani: US must take practical step to remove Iranian mistrust IRNA 06 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani said on Tuesday that the US must take practical step to remove Iranian mistrust.
- Rohani: Nuclear program matter of national interest IRNA 06 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani said on Tuesday that Iranian peaceful nuclear program is a matter of national interest.
- President: Iran needs contruction of new nuclear power plants IRNA 06 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani said on Tuesday that Iran needs construction of nuclear power plants to produce 20,000 megawatts electricity.
- Iran expects 'practical and constructive' steps from US: Rohani Iran Press TV 06 Aug 2013 -- Iran's President Hassan Rohani says the Islamic Republic is closely monitoring all measures taken by the United States and will respond properly to Washington's "practical and constructive" moves.
- Iran seeks win-win game in nuclear talks: Rohani Iran Press TV 06 Aug 2013 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has reaffirmed Tehran's determination to pursue a "win-win" approach to finding a solution to Iran's nuclear issue.
- Rohani Says Iran Ready For 'Serious' Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 06 Aug 2013 -- Iran's President Hassan Rohani says his country is ready to engage in 'serious negotiations' with Western nations over the country's disputed nuclear program.
- Leader appoints Ahmadinejad to Expediency Council Iran Press TV 05 Aug 2013 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has appointed former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the Expediency Council.
- Iran's New President Picks Reformist as Top Deputy VOA 05 Aug 2013 -- New Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has picked a prominent reformer to be his top deputy.
- Iran arrests man spying for Israel Iran Press TV 05 Aug 2013 -- An Iranian national has been arrested in southeastern city of Kerman and is on trial for passing intelligence about Iran to Israel, head of Kerman's Revolution Court Dadkhoda Salari says.
- Rohani takes oath of office at Majlis as Iran's 7th president IRNA 04 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani on Sunday took the oath of offie as Iran's 7th president at the Iranian parliament.
- US felicitates Iranian nation on beginning of Pres Rowhani's tenure IRNA 04 Aug 2013 -- The White House reacted cautiously positive to Sunday oath-taking ceremony of President Hassan Rowhani, announcing readiness for entering talks with new Iranian government to solve nuclear issue.
- Larijani welcomes coincidence of oath taking ceremony with anniversary of Constitutional movement IRNA 04 Aug 2013 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Sunday that the coincidence of the oath taking ceremony with the anniversary of Constitutional movement is a good-omen for process of Iranian democracy.
- Larijani: MPs to deliberate on qualifications of proposed cabinet next week IRNA 04 Aug 2013 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Sunday that Majlis will start scrutinizing President Hassan Rohani's proposed ministers as of next week.
- Rohani: Cooperation among 3 branches of government needed to tackle problems IRNA 04 Aug 2013 -- President Hassan Rohani said on Sunday that cooperation among three branches of government is a must for settlement of the country's problems.
- Iran's President Hassan Rohani takes oath of office Iran Press TV 04 Aug 2013 -- Iran's new President Hassan Rohani has taken the oath of office at the Iranian Majlis (Parliament), one day after being endorsed by Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- Iran president unveils proposed Cabinet list Iran Press TV 04 Aug 2013 -- Iran President Hassan Rohani, who is taking the official oath of office shortly, has reportedly unveiled the proposed list of nominees for his Cabinet.
- US ready to engage with Iran's new administration: White House Iran Press TV 04 Aug 2013 -- The US says it is prepared to work with Iran's new administration on the nuclear issue after President Hassan Rohani called on Western governments to engage in talks with Tehran on "equal footing."
- Rohani to open new political chapter: Iran Judiciary chief Iran Press TV 04 Aug 2013 -- Iran Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Sadeq Amoli Larijani says the inauguration of President Hassan Rohani has opened a new chapter in the political management of the Islamic Republic.
- Majlis will fully cooperate with new administration: Larijani Iran Press TV 04 Aug 2013 -- Iran's Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani has called on the three branches of government to remain vigilant in order to fulfill "national resistance," saying the legislative body will fully cooperate with the new administration.
- Iran's Rohani Takes Presidential Oath, Unveils New Cabinet RFE/RL 04 Aug 2013 -- Iran's new president, Hassan Rohani, has taken the oath of office before the country's parliament.
- Iran Supreme Leader Endorses Hassan Rouhani as New President RIA Novosti 04 Aug 2013 -- Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khameini, has formally endorsed the Islamic Republic's new president, Hassan Rouhani, media reported Sunday.
- Russia Expects Continuity in Iran Cooperation After Rouhani's Election - Lawmaker RIA Novosti 04 Aug 2013 -- Moscow hopes for continuity in Russia-Iran cooperation after the election of Hassan Rouhani as the Islamic Republic's new president, Russian parliament speaker Sergei Naryshkin said Sunday.
- Iran's Rouhani Sworn In, Calls for Dialogue VOA 04 Aug 2013 -- Iran's new president, moderate Muslim cleric Hassan Rouhani, took the oath of office before parliament Sunday, calling for dialogue with the West to reduce 'antagonism and aggression.'
- Statement by the Press Secretary on the Inauguration of the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran The White House 04 Aug 2013
- Rohani: Tehran-Pyongyang ties develop IRNA 03 Aug 2013 -- Iran's new President underlined all-out expansion of ties between Tehran and Pyongyang, adding that Iran and North Korea have always had good relations and these relations will be promoted during his presidency,too.
- Supreme Leader acknowledges moderation at endorsement ceremony IRNA 03 Aug 2013 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei on Saturday acknowledged moderation at the endorsement ceremony of president Hassan Rohani.
- Leader hails peaceful transition of executive power Iran Press TV 03 Aug 2013 -- The Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has hailed the peaceful transition of executive power as a result of Islamic democracy in Iran.
- Ayatollah Khamenei endorses Hassan Rohani as Iran's new president Iran Press TV 03 Aug 2013 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has endorsed Hassan Rohani for a four-year term in office as Iran's new president.
- 'US sanctions wrong move at wrong time' Iran Press TV 03 Aug 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman says the recent US sanctions against Tehran's nuclear energy program are a prime example of a "wrong move at a wrong time."
- Rouhani Takes Office as Iran's 7th President VOA 03 Aug 2013 -- Moderate Muslim cleric Hassan Rouhani has taken office as Iran's seventh president, succeeding Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as the country's highest elected official.
- Mahmud Ahmadinejad's Legacy RFE/RL 02 Aug 2013 -- As Iran's outgoing President Mahmud Ahmadinejad prepared to step down this weekend, there were few signs he would be remembered favorably either internationally or domestically.
- Analysis: The Challenges Facing Rohani RFE/RL 02 Aug 2013 -- Taking over the presidency in a country where decisions are ultimately made by the supreme leader is challenging enough. Having to begin that task by clearing colossal hurdles left by your predecessor is nearly mission impossible.
- Reported Rohani Comments On Israel Spark Anger RFE/RL 02 Aug 2013 -- Iranian news agencies have stirred up controversy and confusion regarding remarks Iran's president-elect, Hassan Rohani, made about Israel.
- No talks with Russia on replacing S-300: Iran Iran Press TV 01 Aug 2013 -- Iran's ambassador to Russia says there are no negotiations between Tehran and Moscow over the replacement of the S-300 anti-aircraft system - which Russia is mandated to deliver to Iran under a contract - with the Antei-2500 system.
- U.S. House Of Representatives Passes Tough New Iran Sanctions RFE/RL 01 Aug 2013 -- The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill that would impose new sanctions on Iran.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list