Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2012 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- U.S. General Says Closure Of Pakistan Supply Routes Complicates Afghan Pullout RFE/RL 29 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. military's top transport commander says overland cargo routes through Pakistan must be reopened to NATO for the United States to complete its pullout from Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
- Blast kills 3 in NW Pakistan IRNA 29 Feb 2012 -- At least three people including two women were killed and three others wounded in powerful blast in Pakistan’s tribal region.
- Four Afghan Officials Arrested On Spying Charges RFE/RL 28 Feb 2012 -- Information has emerged about the arrests of four Afghan officials for allegedly spying on behalf of neighboring Iran and Pakistan.
- Jundallah claims responsibility for bus attack in Pakistan IRNA 28 Feb 2012 -- Terrorist group Jundallah has claimed the responsibility of an attack on a passenger bus which killed 18 people.
- Gunmen Kill 18 Shi'ites in NW Pakistan VOA 28 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani officials: Gunmen disguised in military uniforms stopped a passenger bus in the northern part of the country and shot dead 18 Shi'ite passengers.
- At Least 18 Killed in Pakistan Bus Attack RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2012 -- At least 18 people were killed and seven injured when gunmen ambushed a passenger bus in Pakistan’s northeastern district of Kohistan.
- Blast in ruling party meeting kills 5 in NW Pakistan IRNA 28 Feb 2012 -- At least five people were killed near the venue of a public meeting of ruling party in Pakistan's northwest Monday, police and hospital sources said.
- AFGHANISTAN: Increased pressure on refugees to leave Pakistan IRIN 27 Feb 2012 -- The Pakistani army and intelligence service are increasingly harassing Afghan migrants and refugees living in Pakistan’s tribal border area.
- AFGHANISTAN: Bracing for mass evictions from Pakistan IRIN 27 Feb 2012 -- The Afghan government and international aid workers are bracing for an imminent deportation from Pakistan of thousands of Afghan migrants and unregistered refugees.
- AFGHANISTAN-PAKISTAN: Timeline of Afghan displacements into Pakistan IRIN 27 Feb 2012 -- A new push to find durable solutions for Afghan refugees faces many challenges, including the continued flow of Afghans into Pakistan and questions around Pakistan’s willingness to continue hosting them.
- Pakistan Completes Demolition of Bin Laden's Hideout VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani authorities have finished destroying the compound where U.S. special forces killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden last May.
- Bomb Kills 6 in NW Pakistan VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani officials say at least six people were killed and more than 14 others wounded after a bomb planted on a parked motorcycle exploded in the country's volatile northwest.
- Bomb Kills Five At Political Rally In Northwest Pakistan RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- Police in Pakistan say at least five people have been killed and 15 others wounded in a bomb explosion at a political rally.
- Pakistani forces kill six militants IRNA 26 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani forces used helicopters to bomb hideouts of militants on Sunday and killed six militants in Khyber tribal region.
- Demolition of Osama bin Laden's Compound Begins VOA 25 Feb 2012 -- Reports from Pakistan say security forces have begun to destroy the compound in the city of Abbottabad where al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden lived.
- Pakistan Demolishes Former Bin Laden Compound RFE/RL 25 Feb 2012 -- Reports in Pakistan say that authorities have begun demolishing the former compound of Osama bin Laden in the northern town of Abbottabad.
- Bin Laden’s Compound in Pakistan Demolished RIA Novosti 25 Feb 2012 -- A compound near the Pakistani town of Abbottabad where Osama bin Laden was killed by U.S. special forces last year was demolished by Pakistani authorities.
- Pakistan PM appeals Afghan groups to end fighting IRNA 24 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan PM Gilani appealed to the Afghan Taliban, Hizb-e-Islami (Hekmatyar) and other Afghan resistance groups to participate in an intra-Afghan process for national reconciliation and peace.
- Pakistan Urges Taliban To Join Peace Talks RFE/RL 24 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has publicly called on the Taliban and other militant groups in Afghanistan to join peace talks with the Afghan government.
- Suicide Bombers Storm Pakistan Police Station VOA 24 Feb 2012 -- Officials in northwest Pakistan say suicide bombers have attacked a police station, killing at least four police officers.
- Militants Attack Pakistani Police Station, Kill Four RFE/RL 24 Feb 2012 -- Police in Pakistan say four officers have been killed in an assault by suicide attackers on a police station in the northwest city of Peshawar.
- Pak militants attack police station, kill 2 policemen IRNA 24 Feb 2012 -- Taliban militants launched a deadly attack on a police station in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar early Friday and killed two policemen and injured six others.
- Pakistan announces amnesty for Baloch insurgents IRNA 24 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan has announced amnesty for Baloch nationalist insurgents to bring them to the mainstream political system.
- Clinton Had 'Constructive' Talks WIth Pakistani Counterpart RFE/RL 23 Feb 2012 -- US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she and her Pakistani counterpart had a "constructive discussion."
- Clinton To Meet Pakistani Foreign Minister RFE/RL 23 Feb 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is scheduled to hold talks in London with Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar.
- Pakistan blames Taliban for deadly car bomb attack IRNA 23 Feb 2012 -- Police in the northwest Pakistan blamed Taliban militants for the deadly car bomb attack which killed at least 12 people and injured over 32.
- Bomb Rips Through Bus Station in Pakistan VOA 23 Feb 2012 -- Officials say a car bomb has ripped through a bus terminal in northwestern Pakistan, killing at least 12 people.
- At Least 15 Killed By Pakistan Bus Station Bomb RFE/RL 23 Feb 2012 -- At least 15 people have been killed in a bomb explosion near a bus station in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar.
- Pak forces kill 15 Taliban militants IRNA 23 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani security forces have killed 15 suspected Taliban militants in a country's tribal area.
- Taliban, al-Qaeda planned attack on Benazir Bhutto IRNA 22 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan Interior Minister Malik has made public parts of an investigation report about the 2007 assassination of former PM Bhutto.
- Red warrant for Musharraf will be issued in Bhutto murder IRNA 22 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan’s Interior Minister Malik said that a red warrant for the arrest of former President Pervez Musharraf would be issued.
- US Moves to Restore Pakistan Relationship VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- The United States is moving to restore its relationship with Pakistan, which was severely damaged during the past year by a series of incidents.
- Karzai Invites Taliban Leadership to Direct Talks VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has invited the Taliban leadership to direct talks with his government, while asking Pakistan to "support and facilitate" those negotiations aimed at ending a decade of war.
- Afghanistan Invites Taliban Leadership To Direct Peace Talks RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has invited the Taliban leadership to direct talks with his government, while urging Pakistan to help with negotiations.
- Karzai briefs Pakistan PM on talks with Obama IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai Tuesday called Pakistan Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani and ‘apprised him about his telephonic conversation with the US President, Barack Obama’, the PM office said.
- Pakistan To Ask Interpol For Musharraf Arrest Over Bhutto Assassination RFE/RL 21 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik says the government in Islamabad will ask Interpol to arrest Pervez Musharraf.
- Pakistani FM slams US Congress resolution IRNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has said that tabling a resolution on Balochistan in the US congress based on mala fide intention.
- Pakistani Hard-Liners Stage Islamabad Rally RFE/RL 20 Feb 2012 -- Pakistanis from religious and hard-line groups have rallied in the capital, Islamabad, in the latest in a string of demonstrations highlighting tensions.
- Pakistan to Provide No Support to U.S. in Attack on Iran – Zardari RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan will not provide any support to U.S. forces if the United States attacks Iran, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari said.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan Talks on Taliban Peace End With Little Progress VOA 17 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan is warning Afghanistan against having unrealistic expectations in bringing the Afghan Taliban to the negotiating table.
- Iran, Pakistan pledge support for Afghan-led peace process IRNA 17 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani and Iranian Presidents declared support for Afghan-led peace and reconciliation process and agreed to enhance cooperation to root out extremism and terrorism in region.
- Violence In Northwest Pakistan Reportedly Kills At Least 29 RFE/RL 17 Feb 2012 -- Reports say a clash in northwestern Pakistan has left five Islamist militants and three members of a government-sponsored militia dead.
- Envoy: Pakistan Not Taking Sides in Afghanistan Peace Efforts VOA 16 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's new ambassador to the United States, Sherry Rehman, says Islamabad will support Afghan-led peace initiatives, but will not align itself with any particular side in the conflict.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran Focus on Regional Peace VOA 16 Feb 2012 -- The leaders of Iran and Afghanistan are in Pakistan for a trilateral summit on facilitating peace with the Afghan Taliban.
- Afghan, Pakistani Leaders Discuss Peace Efforts RFE/RL 16 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's president has publicly backed efforts to seek reconciliation with the Taliban in a bid to end the war in Afghanistan, now in its 11th year.
- Trilateral summit in Islamabad to boost regional peace: Salehi IRNA 16 Feb 2012 -- Development of regional peace and security is one of the main subjects of trilateral summit of Iranian, Afghan and Pakistani high-ranking officials.
- Afghan, Pakistani presidents vow to fight terrorism IRNA 16 Feb 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari identified terrorism and extremism as common challenges that require a common approach and close co-operation for effective handling.
- Karzai assured of Pakistan support to Afghan peace process IRNA 16 Feb 2012 -- Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani Thursday assured the visiting Afghan President Hamid Karzai that Pakistan will support any Afghan-led peace process.
- Twin U.S. Missile Strikes Target Militants In Northwest Pakistan RFE/RL 16 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani intelligence officials say two suspected U.S. drone missile attacks have killed more than 10 people in North Waziristan.
- 5 die in US drone strike in NW Pakistan IRNA 16 Feb 2012 -- An American spy aircraft fired missiles into a house in Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal region early Thursday and killed 5 people.
- Pakistan's U.S. Envoy Says Relationship 'Burdened' By Too Many Expectations RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's new ambassador to the US says relations between Washington and Islamabad are "burdened by too many expectations" and have become overly emotional.
- Pakistani at Guantanamo Charged With Supporting Terror VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. Defense Department has charged a detained Pakistani national with helping al-Qaida plan terrorist attacks.
- U.S. Captive Charged With Trying To Kill Musharraf RFE/RL 15 Feb 2012 -- A Pakistani man detained at the U.S. prison for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo Bay has been charged with plotting to assassinate former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf.
- DOD Announces Charges Sworn Against Detainee Majid Shoukat Khan DoD 14 Feb 2012
- Pakistan Allows NATO to Ship Food to Afghanistan VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan says it has temporarily allowed NATO to ship perishable food to its troops in neighboring Afghanistan.
- Islamabad Allows NATO Food Shipments To Afghanistan RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's defense minister has admitted that the government temporarily has allowed NATO to ship food items to its troops in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan manufacturing spy aircraft, says air chief IRNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan Air Chief, Air Marshal Rao Qamar Sulema, has said that the country is manufacturing its own spy aircraft.
- Pakistan Frees U.S. Man After Bullets Found In Baggage RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani police say an employee of the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad was released after being held for questionin.
- US national arrested in Pakistan IRNA 14 Feb 2012 -- Police in Pakistan’s northwest Tuesday detained an American national at airport for carrying bullets and charger of a pistol.
- Pakistan Political Crisis Deepens As Court Indicts PM VOA 13 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan’s Supreme Court has charged PM Gilani with contempt for defying its order to reopen old corruption cases.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Charged With Contempt RFE/RL 13 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has been formally charged with contempt at the country's Supreme Court.
- Pakistan PM indicted in court contempt case IRNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan Supreme Court formally framed charges against Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani over his failure to accept the apex court’s orders to reopen graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
- Pakistan PM looses appeal against contempt charge IRNA 10 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan Supreme Court rejected an appeal by PM Gilani he filed last week against appearing before the apex court on contempt charges.
- Pakistani High Court Rejects Appeal From Prime Minister RFE/RL 10 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's Supreme Court has rejected an appeal from PM Gilani, upholding an earlier order that he must appear before the high court next week to answer contempt-of-court charges.
- Pakistan concerned at US Congress debate on Balochistan IRNA 10 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan said that it has conveyed its concern to the United States at the Congressional hearing on the situation in Balochistan province.
- 11 militants killed in Kurram tribal region IRNA 10 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani forces killed 11 militants in Kurram tribal region on Friday, local media reported.
- Pakistan PM files appeal in court contempt case IRNA 09 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan PM Gilani filed an appeal against a Supreme Court’s order of summoning him in contempt of court proceedings.
- Pakistan Supreme Court Takes Hard Line Against PM VOA 09 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's Supreme Court says it will drop contempt charges against Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani if he complies with an order to reopen old corruption cases against the president.
- U.S. Drone Strike Reportedly Kills Pakistan Al-Qaeda Leader RFE/RL 09 Feb 2012 -- A U.S. drone missile strike in Pakistan is reported to have killed Badar Mansoor, the leader of a Pakistani Taliban faction with close ties to Al-Qaeda.
- US Drone Kills Top Militant in NW Pakistan VOA 09 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani intelligence sources say a U.S. drone strike in northwest Pakistan has killed a senior militant with links to al-Qaida.
- US drones in Pakistan multiply militants: FM IRNA 09 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. drones hitting targets on Pakistani territory is illegal, and involvement of the Pakistani spy agencies with Taliban not even worthy of comment, Pakistan’s foreign minister said.
- Pakistani PM Files Appeal in Contempt Case VOA 08 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani PM Gilani has filed an appeal against a Supreme Court summons calling for him to appear in court to face charges of contempt.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Appeals High Court Summons RFE/RL 08 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani PM Gilani has appealed his summons by Pakistan's Supreme Court to face indictment on contempt-of-court charges.
- Pakistan, NATO Hold Border Talks Following Deadly Attack VOA 08 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani military and NATO officials are holding talks on border security after last November's cross-border coalition attack that killed 24 Pakistani troops.
- Pakistan Says Army Chiefs Meeting With NATO, Afghan Commanders RFE/RL 08 Feb 2012 -- Officials say Pakistan's military leadership is holding talks with NATO and Afghan commanders to improve coordination along the Afghan-Pakistani border.
- Drone Strike Kills 10 In Pakistan Tribal Area RFE/RL 08 Feb 2012 -- A suspected U.S. drone has fired missiles into Pakistan's tribal area near the Afghan border.
- US drone kills 6 in NW Pakistan IRNA 08 Feb 2012 -- A US drone fired missiles into a house, killing six people in Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal region.
- Police In Peshawar Raid Unregistered Madrasahs RFE/RL 08 Feb 2012 -- Reports from Pakistan say police in Peshawar have detained more than 100 in raids on unregistered madrasahs.
- U.S. General's Pakistan Visit Aimed At Repairing Ties RFE/RL 07 Feb 2012 -- U.S. officials say General James Mattis, commander of U.S. Central Command, will visit Pakistan this month in an effort to heal the rift between the two nations.
- PAKISTAN: Quetta's Hazara community living in fear IRIN 07 Feb 2012 -- Widespread fear of harassment, discrimination and killings has prompted some Hazara community members living in Quetta to consider leaving the country.
- Iran-Pakistan cooperation in aviation sector stressed IRNA 07 Feb 2012 -- Head of Iran’s Aviation Industries Organization has said that there is enormous scope of Iran-Pakistan cooperation in aviation sector and both countries can benefit from each other’s experiences.
- Pakistani Prime Minister In Qatar To Discuss Afghan Peace Deal RFE/RL 06 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has arrived in Qatar for planned talks on a possible peace deal to end the 10-year war in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan PM To Travel To Qatar For Talks On Afghan Peace Deal RFE/RL 04 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's Foreign Ministry says the country's prime minister, Yusuf Raza Gilani, will travel to Qatar next week for talks with leaders there on a peace deal to end the Taliban's 10-year war in Afghanistan.
- Seven Pakistani Troops, 18 Militants Reported Killed In Clash RFE/RL 03 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani government officials say militants have opened fire on a security checkpoint
- 8 security personal killed in Kurram tribal region IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Eight security personnel were killed while five others were kidnapped by the militants, in Pakistan’s Kurram tribal region.
- Car bomb attack kills 4 in NW Pakistan IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- At least four persons were killed in a car bomb attack in northwest Pakistan.
- Mosque blown up in Khyber tribal region IRNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Unidentified terrorists on Friday blew up a mosque in Tirah valley of Khyber tribal region.
- Pakistani PM says will appear in court in contempt case IRNA 02 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani PM Gilani announced in the parliament that he would appear before the Supreme Court in a contempt proceedings on February 13.
- Pakistan to Indict Prime Minister for Contempt VOA 02 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan’s Supreme Court has announced that it plans to indict Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on February 13 for contempt of court.
- Pakistan Supreme Court To Charge Prime Minister With Contempt RFE/RL 02 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's Supreme Court has announced it intends to indict Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani on contempt charges.
- Pakistani court sets to indict PM Gilani in contempt case IRNA 02 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan’s Supreme Court ordered indictment of Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani in contempt proceedings.
- Khar Says Pakistan Willing To Push Militants Into Afghan Peace Talks RFE/RL 02 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan's FM says her country is ready to push the Taliban and other insurgent groups to enter negotiations to end the war in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan's Foreign Minister Visits Afghanistan to Boost Relations VOA 02 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan says it is willing to push Afghan insurgents to make peace, if asked to do so by the Afghan government.
- Pakistani minister says terrorist outfit disturbs Karachi peace IRNA 02 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan’s Interior Minister A Rehman Malik has said a terrorist organization is trying to destabilize peace in Karachi.
- Deadly Anthrax Sent to Office of Pakistani PM VOA 01 Feb 2012 -- A Pakistani official says a package containing deadly anthrax was mailed last year to the office of Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
- Package With Anthrax Sent To Pakistani Prime Minister's Office RFE/RL 01 Feb 2012 -- Authorities in Pakistan said that a package containing white anthrax powder was sent to the office of Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani.
- Pakistan: 'No Hidden Agenda' in Afghanistan VOA 01 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan says it has no “hidden agenda” in Afghanistan and has rejected as “frivolous” allegations that it is supporting Afghan Taliban insurgents in their deadly attacks on NATO forces.
- Pakistan Dismisses Allegations of Afghan Taliban Support VOA 01 Feb 2012 -- Pakistan has dismissed a leaked NATO report that accuses it of secretly assisting the Taliban.
- Leaked NATO Report Shows Pakistan Support For Taliban RFE/RL 01 Feb 2012 -- A classified NATO military report obtained in Afghanistan by news organizations says Pakistan's secret services are helping Taliban in directing attacks against foreign troops in Afghanistan.
- US drone kills 12 in NW Pakistan IRNA 01 Feb 2012 -- An American spy aircraft fired missiles into a Pakistani tribal region killing 12 people.
- Fighter jets strike kill 20 militants in NW Pakistan IRNA 01 Feb 2012 -- At least 20 militants were killed when fighter jets pounded militant hideouts in Orakzai tribal region.
- Pakistani forces kill 18 militants IRNA 01 Feb 2012 -- Pakistani forces killed 18 militants in Kurram tribal region.
- Insurgents kill 14 Pakistani soldiers in Balochistan IRNA 01 Feb 2012 -- Insurgents have killed 14 paramilitary soldiers in Pakistani’s southwestern Balochistan province in an attack on their check post.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list