Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2010 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Pakistan to support Afghan peace process, says FM IRNA 30 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said on Tuesday his country would extend full support to Afghan-led initiatives to restore peace in the war-torn Afghanistan.
- US drone kills 10 in Pakistan's tribal region IRNA 30 Jun 2010 -- A US drone aircraft struck Tuesday a house in Pakistan’s South Waziristan tribal region and killed at least 10 people, a correspondent in the region said.
- Trial of Pakistani militants begin IRNA 30 Jun 2010 -- Trial of Pakistani militants began on Tuesday in the insurgency-hit Swat valley in the country’s northwest, officials said.
- Chairman Cites Importance of U.S.-Pakistan Ties AFPS 29 Jun 2010 -- The United States is working hard to regain Pakistan’s trust after several years without a relationship, but it’s going to take time, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said yesterday.
- Pakistan May Transfer Captured Taliban Commander To Afghanistan RFE/RL 29 Jun 2010 -- A spokesman for Afghan President Hamid Karzai says Pakistan may extradite a captured top Taliban commander to Afghanistan, RFE/RL's Radio Mashaal reports.
- Americans Appeal Pakistan Terror Convictions VOA 28 Jun 2010 -- Lawyers for Americans found guilty of terror offenses in Pakistan and sentenced to 10 years in prison have appealed their clients' convictions.
- US formally hands over 3 F-16s to Pakistan IRNA 28 Jun 2010 -- The United States on formally delivered three new F-16 Fighting Falcon jet fighters to the Pakistani Air Force at a military airbase.
- Taliban commander, 4 others killed in US drone strike in Pakistan IRNA 28 Jun 2010 -- Latest strikes of drone aircraft killed a Pakistani Taliban commander and four other people in Pakistan's North Waziristan.
- Suspected U.S. Missiles Kill Three In Pakistan RFE/RL 28 Jun 2010 -- Suspected US missiles struck a militant compound in northwestern Pakistan on June 27, killing at least three people.
- Pakistan Truck Blast Kills at Least 18, Wounds 40 VOA 28 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan officials say 18 people were killed and 40 others wounded when a truck carrying chemicals exploded Monday in the southern city of Hyderabad.
- Blast kills 14 in Pakistan's southwest IRNA 28 Jun 2010 -- A blast killed at least 14 people near Pakistan’s southern city of Hyderabad on Monday.
- Pak-India striving to build trust deficit IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan and India in recent months have increased interaction to build trust deficit between the two countries and to pave the way for the planned Foreign Ministers level talks next month.
- Pakistani President, US army chief discuss security IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- Admiral Mike Mullen met President Zardari and discussed fight against militancy and regional security situation.
- US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman arrives in Pakistan IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- US Navy Adm. Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, arrived in Pakistan to meet with Pakistani leaders and US Embassy officials.
- Three US F-16 aircraft arrive in Pakistan IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- First batch of latest version of U.S. fighter F-16 aircraft arrived at Pakistan Air Force base in Sindh province.
- US delivers 18 F-16 aircraft to Pakistan IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- The US Air Force set to deliver the first of 18 new F-16 Fighting Falcon jet fighters to the Pakistani Air Force in a sign of deepening relations.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan not to use territories against each others IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan and Afghanistan Friday agreed not to allow their territories for use against each others’ interests.
- Pakistan supports Afghan reconciliation process IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- PM Gilani announced Pakistan’s support for the process of reconciliation and integration in the neighbouring war-shattered Afghanistan.
- Pakistani forces kill 10 militants, arrest commander IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani security forces have killed at least 10 militants in Lower Orakzai tribal region in clashes erupted after attack on a check post.
- US drone kills two people in Pakistan IRNA 26 Jun 2010 -- A US drone strike killed two suspected militants and wounded three others in Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal region.
- Two Pakistanis Held in Zimbabwe, Possible Mumbai Tie VOA 26 Jun 2010 -- Zimbabwe has arrested two Pakistani men, one under an international arrest warrant that state media says is for terrorism.
- Pakistan, India agree to restore confidence IRNA 25 Jun 2010 -- Top Pakistani and Indian diplomats agreed to work towards restoring confidence and trust with a view to making it possible to have substantive dialogue.
- Pakistan, India open bilateral talks IRNA 25 Jun 2010 -- Foreign Secretaries of India and Pakistan on Thursday opened bilateral talks to remove misunderstanding and chalk out steps to counter terrorism.
- India releases four Pakistani prisoners IRNA 25 Jun 2010 -- India’s Home Minister Chidamabaram, ahead of his Pakistan visit, ordered the release of four Pakistani prisoners lodged in various jails in Gujarat.
- US takes Pakistan into confidence on McChrystal's removal IRNA 25 Jun 2010 -- US VP Biden, rang up Pakistan PM Gilani to take him into confidence over the change of Command of American Forces in Afghanistan.
- Pakistan renews Afghan army training offer IRNA 25 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi on Thursday reiterated his country’s offer to train Afghan army and police.
- Pakistani court convicts five Americans IRNA 25 Jun 2010 -- An anti-terrorism court in Pakistan awarded 10-year jail term each to five American citizens over terror charges.
- Defining 'Victory' In Pakistan's War On The Taliban RFE/RL 24 Jun 2010 -- Although army security operations are under way in almost all Pakistan's tribal areas.
- Delivery of New F-16s to Pakistan Shows Deepening Relations AFPS 24 Jun 2010 -- USAF set to deliver the first of 18 new F-16 Fighting Falcon jet fighters to the Pakistani air force.
- UK to increase aid for Pakistan to 665 million pounds: Hague IRNA 24 Jun 2010 -- British Foreign Secretary Hague: United Kingdom will increase development aid for Pakistan to 665 million pounds over next 4 years.
- Pakistani Court Convicts Five Americans Of Terrorism RFE/RL 24 Jun 2010 -- A Pakistani court today sentenced five Americans for criminal conspiracy and raising funds for a banned terrorist organization.
- Pakistani Court Finds Americans Guilty on Terror Charges VOA 24 Jun 2010 -- A Pakistani court has sentenced five Americans to 10 years each in prison after finding them guilty of terror offenses.
- Pakistan to continue anti-terror war, Zardari tells British FM IRNA 24 Jun 2010 -- Pres. Asif Ali Zardari: Anti-terror war would continue ... till complete elimination of this cancer.
- Pakistan PM for Afghan-led reconciliation process IRNA 24 Jun 2010 -- PM Gilani reaffirmed in meeting visiting British Foreign Secretary Pakistan ’s position that Afghan society needs to reestablish its own equilibrium.
- US envoy, Pakistani President discuss security IRNA 24 Jun 2010 -- US Special Rep for Afghanistan Holbrooke met Pakistani Pres Zardari and discussed security situation in region and war against terror.
- Eight Reported Dead In Latest Karachi Shootings RFE/RL 23 Jun 2010 -- Police in Karachi say eight people have been killed over the past two days in Pakistan's biggest city.
- India stresses for credible action from Pak on Mumbai terror attacks IRNA 23 Jun 2010 -- Ahead of a series of bilateral meetings, India demanded "credible" action by Pakistan in Mumbai terror attacks case.
- Pakistan Releases 17 Indian Prisoners VOA 23 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan has released 17 Indian nationals as a goodwill gesture ahead of talks with a top official from New Delhi.
- Gas pipeline project beyond provisions of UN resolution IRNA 23 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani FM Spokesperson Abdul Basit: Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project is beyond provisions of United Nations resolution against Iran.
- State Department 'Actively' Considers Terrorist Designation for Pakistani Taliban VOA 22 Jun 2010 -- US State Dept actively considering adding the Pakistani wing of the Taliban to list of foreign terrorist organizations.
- Gilani: Pakistan 'Not Bound' by US Sanctions on Iran VOA 22 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan's PM Gilani: Country not bound by US sanctions on Iran, signaling Pakistan will move ahead with a deal to import natural gas.
- Pakistan Claims 20 Militants Killed In Tribal Region Air Strike RFE/RL 22 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani security forces have reported killing 20 Taliban militants in the Mohmand tribal agency.
- Clashes leave 3 troops, 10 militants dead in NW Pakistan IRNA 22 Jun 2010 -- At least three Pakistani troops and 10 militants were killed in Orakzai tribal area of the northwest Pakistan.
- U.S. envoy warns Pakistan against Iran gas line IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- US Special envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrookewarned Pakistan against a multi-billion-dollar Iran gas pipeline.
- Pakistan FM defends Iran gas pipeline IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan FM Qureshi defended the $7.5 billion gas pipeline with Iran saying Islamabad would take the project forward despite sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
- Car bomb kills soldier, injures 7 in SW Pakistan IRNA 21 Jun 2010 -- A Pakistani soldier was killed and seven others were injured in a car bomb blast in Pakistan’s southwestern city of Quetta.
- Pakistani President vows to defeat militants IRNA 20 Jun 2010 -- Asif Ali Zardari told the visiting U.S special envoy that defeating the extremists on ground was one part of the battle and that complete success required that ‘we changed the militant mindset’ through creation and provision of opportunities to the people
- US missile strike kills 15 in Pakistan IRNA 19 Jun 2010 -- A suspected U.S. drone aircraft fired two missiles in Pakistan's North Waziristan region and killed at least 15 people, local tribesmen said.
- U.S to provide $11.1m in assistance to conflict-affected Pakistan IRNA 19 Jun 2010 -- The U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan,Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, Saturday pledged an additional $11.1 million in humanitarian assistance for Pakistanis affected by the conflict in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa , the U.S embassy said Saturday.
- Pakistan warns lack of money may harm anti-terror war IRNA 19 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani Premier Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani warned Saturday that public support to the anti-terror war could be badly affected if the international community failed to deliver on their pledges to help Pakistan provide relief to people hit by terrorism.
- Pakistan enjoys strong defense ties with China IRNA 19 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan enjoys strategic close relations with China and the defense ties between the two has often been regarded by the leaders of both countries as all weather and time tested.
- Pakistan rejects report on Afghan Taliban cooperation IRNA 18 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan on Thursday rejected a report that the country’s major intelligence agency provides funding, training and sanctuary to the Afghan Taliban.
- Eight Pakistan soldiers, 38 militants die in fighting IRNA 17 Jun 2010 -- At least eight Pakistani soldiers and 38 militants were killed in a tribal region Wednesday, official sources said.
- American Hunting bin Laden Undergoes Medical Tests in Pakistan VOA 16 Jun 2010 -- Authorities in Pakistan say an American detained on suspicion of being on a personal mission to hunt down and kill al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden has undergone medical tests.
- Afghan Taliban reject report on ISI help IRNA 15 Jun 2010 -- Afghan Taliban Monday rejected a report as a ‘drama’ staged by US, Britain and NATO that Pakistan’s intelligence agency gives funding, training and sanctuary to Afghan Taliban on a scale much larger than previously thought.
- American Citizen Hunting bin Laden Detained in Pakistan VOA 15 Jun 2010 -- Police in northern Pakistan say they have arrested an American who said he was on a solo mission to kill al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.
- PAKISTAN: Four million in north denied rights, says AI IRIN 15 Jun 2010 -- Amnesty International (AI) has criticized the Pakistani government and the militants it is fighting in parts of Khyber-Pukhtoonkhwa Province and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) on the border with Afghanistan for violating international humanitarian law and human rights, even though conditions in other areas, such as Swat, are improving.
- The Growing Threat In Pakistan’s Punjab RFE/RL 15 Jun 2010 -- Few Pakistanis rejoiced when the country's military high command announced victory against armed militants in the Orakzai tribal agency last week -- mainly because Punjab, the heartland of Pakistan, is still threatened by galloping Talibanization.
- Pakistan Denies Involvement With Afghan Taliban VOA 14 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani political and military officials are denying a report that alleges the country's intelligence agency has direct links with the Afghan Taliban.
- US drone strike kills 10 people in Pakistan IRNA 12 Jun 2010 -- US drone aircraft struck Friday a house in Pakistan’s North Waziristan region killing at least 10 people, tribesmen in the region said.
- Pakistan, US conclude defence talks IRNA 11 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani and the US defense officials concluded 4-day defence talks and discussed issues of common interest under the rubric of the strategic dialogue process.
- Pakistan army rejects Amnesty report on Taliban control IRNA 11 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan rejected a report by Amnesty International that Pakistanis in the northwest tribal areas are subject to abuses by the Taleban.
- U.S. Missile Strike Kills 13 In Northwest Pakistan RFE/RL 11 Jun 2010 -- Government officials: 6 missiles fired into Pakistan's tribal region along the Afghan border by suspected US drone aircraft killed at least 13 people.
- Pakistan Reports Several Deadly US Drone Strikes in North Waziristan VOA 11 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani officials: US missile strikes have killed at least 18 suspected militants in the northwestern tribal region since Thursday.
- U.S., Pakistan Seek to Broaden Defense Relationship AFPS 10 Jun 2010 -- U.S. and Pakistani defense officials wrapped up a four-day session in Pakistan today aimed at expanding the two countries’ defense relationship to address current and future threats.
- Pakistan, US to hold follow-up strategic dialogue IRNA 09 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan and the United States will hold follow-up meetings to carry forward the process of comprehensive Pakistan-US engagement.
- Pakistan, US hold defense dialogue IRNA 09 Jun 2010 -- Top Pakistani and American defenc officials have opened 4-day dialogue in Islamabad to boost defence cooperation.
- Pakistan IDPs unwilling to return homes IRNA 09 Jun 2010 -- Hundreds of thousands of people who had been displaced as the result of military operation in Pakistan’s South Waziristan tribal region are unwilling to return.
- Pakistan Taliban publicly shoot dead 'murderer' IRNA 09 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani Taliban Tuesday publicly shot dead a man for allegedly killing two brothers in North Waziristan tribal region.
- Pakistan, Nigeria sign MoU to promote defence ties IRNA 09 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan and Nigeria Tuesday signed Memorandum of Undersigned (MoU) to enhance defence collaboration.
- Good Indo-Pak relations in both countries' interest: Singh IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- PM Singh: Good neighbourly relations between Indian and Pakistan are in interest of both countries.
- Pakistani Police Arrest Suspected Foreign Militants RFE/RL 08 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani police said they have arrested 12 wounded foreigners who they suspect are militants.
- Pakistanis Witness Public Execution Ordered by Taliban Court VOA 08 Jun 2010 -- Hundreds of people in northwest Pakistan watched a public execution after a Taliban court found a man guilty of killing two brothers.
- Australia assures Pakistan support in anti-terror war IRNA 08 Jun 2010 -- Visiting Australian defense minister Senator Faulkner met President Zardari and assured continued support of Australian Government.
- Militant groups clash leave 25 dead in Pakistan IRNA 07 Jun 2010 -- Supporters of Taliban and other militant groups clashed in a Pakistani tribal region leaving at least 25 people dead.
- Pakistani court awards life term to 6 Taliban suspects IRNA 06 Jun 2010 -- An anti-terror court in Pakistan Saturday handed down life-term to six Taliban suspects who were accused of planning attacks on foreigners and manufacturing suicide jackets, court officials said.
- Pakistan hikes defence spending by 17 percent IRNA 06 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan Saturday announced annual budget with a 17 percent increase in defence allocation as the security forces are engaged in operation against the Taliban-linked militants.
- Pakistan says US drone strikes affect terror war IRNA 04 Jun 2010 -- Pakistan said Thursday that strikes by US drones aircraft in the country’s tribal regions are ‘not helpful in the context of winning hearts and minds’, which is important for defeating terrorism.
- Pakistani forces kill 10 militants after declaring victory IRNA 03 Jun 2010 -- Pakistani security forces Wednesday killed at least 10 militants in Orakzai tribal area a day after army declared victory in the same region, officials said.
- Pakistan Navy inducts 2 U.S.-Maritime Patrol Aircraft IRNA 02 Jun 2010 -- U.S. and Pakistani officials Tuesday commemorated the delivery of two P-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft to the Government of Pakistan from the United States, the U.S, embassy said.
- Militants attack hospital, killed 12 people in Pakistan IRNA 01 Jun 2010 -- A group of armed militants attacked an hospital in the Pakistani city of Lahore late Monday night and killed at least 12 people including four policemen, hospital officials said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list