Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2009 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Iran ready for cooperatives cooperation with Iraq: minister IRNA 31 May 2009 -- Iran’s Minister of Cooperatives Mohammad Abbasi here on Sunday voiced Iran’s readiness to cooperate with the neighboring Iraq in the area of cooperatives.
- Army modernizes military equipment: Minister IRNA 31 May 2009 -- The Army has modernized military equipment by manufacturing speed boats, submarines and drones, Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Mostafa Mohammad Najjar said on Sunday.
- Iranian Reformist Candidate Backs Nuclear Talks with World Powers VOA 29 May 2009 -- Iranian Presidential candidate willing to continue talks with international powers over Iran's nuclear program.
- Fattah: Bushehr NPP to generate electricity as of next year IRNA 29 May 2009 -- Minister of Energy Fattah: Iran's Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant will generate electricity as of next Iranian year.
- Spy Confession a 'Lie', says US Journalist Released from Iran Prison VOA 29 May 2009 -- US journalist Roxana Saberi back home after an Iranian appeals court cut her prison sentence.
- Gunmen in Iran Wound 3 at President's Campaign Office VOA 29 May 2009 -- Gunmen have opened fire on one of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's campaign offices, wounding three people.
- Iranians Allege U.S. 'Hands' Behind Mosque Bombing RFE/RL 29 May 2009 -- A local official and an influential prayer leader each accused US of involvement in a deadly mosque bombing in southeast Iran.
- Iranian authorities say 19 died in mosque blast RIA Novosti 29 May 2009 -- Iranian authorities: 19 people lost their lives in a suicide bomb attack on a mosque in the southeast of the country.
- Iranian Media: 19 Killed in Blast at Shi'ite Mosque in Iran VOA 29 May 2009 -- Suicide attack killed 19 people and wounded 125 others at a Shi'ite mosque in Zahedan.
- Top Obama Aide Sees Growing Consensus Against North Korea, Iran Nukes VOA 28 May 2009 -- President Obama's national security adviser: Growing consensus that North Korea and Iran should not be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons.
- Iranian Media: 20 Killed in Blast at Sh'ite Mosque in Iran VOA 28 May 2009 -- Iranian news agency: 20 people have been killed and 55 others wounded in a suicide attack at a Shi'ite mosque in southeastern Iran.
- Reformers Hope Iran's 'Silent Voters' Will Be Heard In June RFE/RL 28 May 2009 -- Reformists in Iran hoping high turnout in presidential election would help prevent a second term for Mahmud Ahmadinejad.
- Bolivia denies supplying Iran with uranium RIA Novosti 27 May 2009 -- Bolivian Presidential Minister Juan Ramon Quintana denied on Wednesday reports that his country has been supplying uranium to Iran.
- North Korea, Iran Issue Early Challenges To 'Obama Doctrine' RFE/RL 26 May 2009 -- US President Obama came to office promising to explore ways to talk with countries hostile to the United States.
- Iran's Presidential Election Campaign Heats Up VOA 26 May 2009 -- Four contenders in Iran's presidential election campaign have been criss-crossing the country in an effort to gain support ahead of the June 12 vote.
- Iran Sends Warships to International Waters VOA 26 May 2009 -- Iranian media: Iran has sent 6 warships to international waters, including the Gulf of Aden, just days after it test-fired a new ballistic missile.
- Ahmadinejad: Iran's nuclear case a resolved matter IRNA 25 May 2009 -- President Ahmadinejad: Iran's nuclear case is a resolved issue and we continue our activities within framework of agency's regulations.
- Iran: No More Nuclear Talks With World Powers VOA 25 May 2009 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran will not hold any further talks with world powers on its controversial nuclear program.
- Nuclear weapon has no place in Iran's doctrine: Qashqavi IRNA 25 May 2009 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi said on Monday that nuclear weapon has no place in Iran's nuclear doctrine.
- Iranian President Defends Foreign Policy VOA 23 May 2009 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad defended his government's aggressive foreign policy against the West regarding Iran's nuclear program, in a press conference, Saturday. He also claimed that Tehran's nuclear "dossier" is now closed and the country's "dignity" intact.
- Report Gives Obama A Potential Out On Missile Shield RFE/RL 21 May 2009 -- Iran's test of a rocket that it says can reach as far as Europe adds new urgency to US missile defense plan.
- Iran's counter-piracy efforts "commendable", says IMO chief IRNA 21 May 2009 -- IMO praised Iran's counter-piracy efforts, calling on the Islamic Republic to extend such "commendable" support to other ships.
- Iran Missile Test Draws Reaction in US Congress VOA 20 May 2009 -- Iran's statement that it successfully test-fired a medium-range missile has provoked reaction in the U.S. Congress.
- Clinton Warns of ME Arms Race if Iran Gets Nukes VOA 20 May 2009 -- Secretary of State Clinton: If Iran obtains a nuclear weapons capability, it would trigger an arms race in the Middle East and beyond.
- Pentagon Confirms Iran Missile Test, Calls It 'Consistent' with Concerns VOA 20 May 2009 -- US Defense Secretary Gates confirmed that Iran has tested a medium range ballistic missile.
- Advanced surface-to-surface missile successfully launched: President IRNA 20 May 2009 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: Iran launched advanced surface-to surface missile called 'Sejjil-2.'
- Iranian-made missiles, satellite launched from Semnan IRNA 20 May 2009 -- President Ahmadinejad: Launch pad for Iran's missiles and satellites is located in Semnan province.
- Ahmadinejad: Iran Tests Missile that Could Reach Israel, Europe VOA 20 May 2009 -- Iran's President Ahmadinejad: Country has test-fired a new advanced missile that reportedly can reach Israel.
- Dpty FM: Iran determined to continue peaceful nuclear activities IRNA 20 May 2009 -- Deputy FM in Training and Research Affairs: Iran, as an NPT member, is determined to continue peaceful nuclear activities.
- Four Candidates Approved To Run In Iran's Presidential Vote RFE/RL 20 May 2009 -- Iran's powerful Guardians Council has winnowed the field of hundreds of aspiring presidential candidates to 4 men.
- Iranian Council Approves 4 Presidential Candidates VOA 20 May 2009 -- Iranian state media: Country's electoral oversight council approved 4 candidates, including incumbent Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- US Denies Iranian Charge of Support for Kurdish Rebels VOA 19 May 2009 -- US DoD denying charge by Iran's top leader that the United States is promoting attacks on Iran by a Kurdish group based in Iraq.
- Defense Department Spokesman Cites Irony in Iranian Charge AFPS 19 May 2009 -- DoD: ironic that as Iranian leaders continue to arm insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan, they accuse US of destabilizing Iran.
- Iran Leader Accuses US of Supporting Terrorism VOA 19 May 2009 -- Iran's supreme leader is accusing the United States of promoting terrorism against Iran from the Kurdish region of neighboring Iraq.
- German secret service report highlights MKO terror role IRNA 19 May 2009 -- Germany's Verfassungsschutz intelligence agency highlighted in its annual report MKO's numerous terror attacks inside Iran.
- Iranian Reformist Candidate Says Tackling Economy First Priority VOA 19 May 2009 -- Reformist candidate Karroubi: First priority if elected next month would be tackling Iran's worsening economic situation.
- Obama Not Ruling Out Stronger Sanctions Against Iran if it Pursues Nuclear Weapons VOA 18 May 2009 -- US President Obama not ruling out a range of steps to take with Iran if it pursues nuclear weapons.
- Iran May Prove Divisive Issue As Obama, Netanyahu Meet RFE/RL 18 May 2009 -- When Israeli PM Netanyahu meets with US President Obama at the White House, there will be handshakes and smiles.
- Iran: Obama Should Have 'Opportunity' to Change US Policy VOA 18 May 2009 -- Iran's FM: US President Obama should be given an opportunity to fulfill his pledge to change U.S. policy toward the Islamic state.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Speaks Against Pro-West Candidates VOA 18 May 2009 -- Iran's supreme leader urging Iranians not to vote in presidential election for candidates who could adopt a pro-Western stand.
- Larijani: Iran will never recognize Zionist regime IRNA 18 May 2009 -- Majlis Speaker Larijani: Under no circumstances will the Islamic Republic of Iran recognize the Zionist regime.
- DPRK official expresses full support for Iranian nuclear program IRNA 18 May 2009 -- DPRK's Minister of Labor Jong Yong Su expressed his country's full support for Iran's civilian nuclear program.
- Naval force capable of conducting all missions: commander IRNA 17 May 2009 -- Commander of Iran's Naval Force Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said here on Sunday that at present the force is capable of conducting all missions assigned to it.
- ElBaradei blasts Israel's "mad" military threats against Iran IRNA 16 May 2009 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Mohamed ElBaradei slammed Israel's ongoing military threats against Iran, branding it "utter madness."
- EU discusses wider support for US engagement with Iran IRNA 15 May 2009 -- EU foreign ministers are to consider ways of offering further support for US President Obama's new diplomatic approach towards Iran.
- Gates Tells Middle East Allies Not to Worry VOA 15 May 2009 -- US Defense Secretary Gates sought to reassure moderate Arab countries during last week's trip to the Middle East.
- IMO informed of Iranian warships' mission in Somali waters IRNA 15 May 2009 -- The International Maritime Organisation has been informed of the mission of 2 Iranian warships in Somali waters and the Gulf of Aden.
- Journalist Roxana Saberi Not Ready to Tell Her Story Yet VOA 15 May 2009 -- American journalist Roxana Saberi has arrived in Austria to recuperate after spending four months in an Iranian prison.
- US Says No Deadline on Nuclear Diplomacy With Iran VOA 14 May 2009 -- Obama administration has set no deadline for its diplomatic outreach to Iran, but US patience is not infinite.
- Iran urges nuclear states to fulfill commitments IRNA 14 May 2009 -- Iran called on nuclear countries to remain committed to their international undertakings.
- Iran to send two warships to Somalia coast waters against pirates IRNA 14 May 2009 -- Iran's Ambassador to UN: Tehran's will to send 2 warships to Somalia's coast waters and Gulf of Aden to confront pirates.
- Iran outlines new challenges facing NPT implementation IRNA 13 May 2009 -- Iranian delegation: The non-proliferation regime was facing new challenges as the pilar of the NPT.
- Iran urges verification of nuclear countries' commitment to IAEA IRNA 13 May 2009 -- Iran proposed verification of commitment by western countries with advanced nuclear technology to the IAEA.
- Mottaki: Iran preparing package of proposals for Group 5+1 IRNA 13 May 2009 -- FM Mottaki: Iran preparing a package of proposals for the Group 5+1 on the country's nuclear activities.
- Iranian FM Okays US Adviser Visit VOA 13 May 2009 -- Iran's foreign minister said it would be fine for a top U.S. adviser to visit Tehran, because he is of Iranian descent.
- Iran's Bushehr NPP no threat to its neighbors - experts RIA Novosti 13 May 2009 -- The Bushehr nuclear power plant in southern Iran poses no threat to neighboring Arab countries.
- Why Was Roxana Saberi Freed From A Tehran Prison? RFE/RL 12 May 2009 -- Release of Iranian-American journalist Saberi welcomed by US President Obama who called it a "humanitarian gesture."
- US 'Heartened' By Iran's Release of Roxana Saberi VOA 12 May 2009 -- Secretary of State Clinton: US "very heartened" by the release of Iranian-American journalist Saberi.
- Roxana's lawyer: Ahmadinejad's letter of great influence in Saberi's release IRNA 12 May 2009 -- Saberi's lawyer: After receiving President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's letter the appeals court scrutinized plaintiff's case.
- Delegation outlines Iran's views on weapons-free Middle East IRNA 11 May 2009 -- The Iranian delegation participating in Non-Proliferation Treaty meeting outlined Tehran's views on the issues.
- Saberi's Jail Sentence Suspended, Allowed To Leave Iran RFE/RL 11 May 2009 -- Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi has been freed from a Tehran prison.
- Iran Frees American Journalist Roxana Saberi VOA 11 May 2009 -- U.S. journalist Roxana Saberi walked free from a Tehran prison, one day after her sentence on spy charges was cut to a suspended two-year term.
- Roxana Saberi released IRNA 11 May 2009 -- 32 year-old Roxana Saberi arrested on charges of espionage for the US and sentenced to eight years in jail was released on Monday afternoon.
- Judiciary spokesman: Roxana Saberi to be freed soon IRNA 11 May 2009 -- Judiciary spokesman Jamshidi: Verdict of the previous court on Roxana Saberi reversed in the appeal court and she is to be freed.
- Satellites used for guiding missiles, helicopters, submarines IRNA 09 May 2009 -- Defense Minister Mohammad Mostafa-Najjar said here Saturday that the ministry uses satellites and modern facilities to guide missiles, helicopters and submarines.
- Belarus denies plans to sell Syria, Iran weapons RIA Novosti 08 May 2009 -- The Belarusian president denied the country had any plans to sell weapons to Syria or Iran.
- Senators Explore Engagement with Iran VOA 07 May 2009 -- Senate Foreign Relations Committee exploring the pros and cons of talks with Iran, proposed by 6 major world powers including the US.
- Time not ripe for more anti-Iran sanctions: Miliband IRNA 07 May 2009 -- British Foreign Secretary Miliband: Not the time to "rush" for more UN sanctions as America is trying to reach out to the Islamic Republic.
- US Reassures Arab Countries on Iran Policy VOA 07 May 2009 -- Top US officials are reassuring moderate Arab countries that the Obama administration's effort to improve relations with Iran will not hurt interests.
- Iranian Indicted In U.S. For Allegedly Obstructing Justice RFE/RL 07 May 2009 -- An Iranian man has been indicted in New York City for allegedly destroying documents related to the ownership of office building.
- UK welcomes EU support for new US engagement with Iran IRNA 06 May 2009 -- British government has welcomed the EU backing the new direction of US policy in seeking to directly engage with Iran.
- US Reporter Jailed in Iran Ends Hunger Strike VOA 06 May 2009 -- The father of imprisoned Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi says his daughter has ended her hunger strike after two weeks.
- Gates assures Saudi Arabia, Egypt on Obama's Iran overture IRNA 06 May 2009 -- SecDef Gates sought to reassure US allies their relationships with US would not be damaged by efforts to open dialogue with Iran.
- Iran, Pakistan study security measures in joint borders IRNA 06 May 2009 -- Iranian and Pakistani officials studied measures to ensure security in the joint border between the two countries.
- Iran Says Appeal of Jailed US Journalist to be Heard Next Week VOA 05 May 2009 -- Iranian appeals court will hear the case of journalist Roxana Saberi who was convicted of spying for the US.
- Gates Assures Arab Friends: No 'Secret Bargain' in Works with Iran AFPS 05 May 2009 -- Defense Secretary Gates emphasized today that the US will keep its Arab friends informed of any talks it enters into with Iran.
- Gates Says US-Iran Contacts Will Be Open VOA 05 May 2009 -- US Defense Secretary Gates: US will keep its allies in the Middle East informed as it pursues the possibility of improved relations with Iran.
- Anti-Swine Flu Virus Headquarters established in Iran IRNA 05 May 2009 -- IRI Government established an Anti-Swine Flu Virus Headquarters commissioned to adopt necessary measured to immunize Iranian society.
- Israeli President Warns Of Iran's Nuclear Push VOA 04 May 2009 -- Israeli President Shimon Peres says that Iran's nuclear activities threaten the United States, Europe and Arab nations, as well as Israel.
- Poll: Majority of Jewish Israelis Favor Strike on Iran VOA 04 May 2009 -- A new Israeli opinion survey says the majority of Israeli Jews favor a military strike against Iran's nuclear facilities.
- Gates: Arab Allies Should Not Worry About Possible US-Iran Rapprochement VOA 04 May 2009 -- Key American allies they should not worry about any potential improvements in American relations with Iran.
- Pentagon Chief To Reassure Saudis On Iran Outreach RFE/RL 04 May 2009 -- US SecDef Gates: Would reassure Saudi Arabia this week that the kingdom would not suffer from efforts to improve relations with Iran.
- Gates Trip Aims to Reaffirm Ties With Egypt, Saudi Arabia AFPS 04 May 2009 -- Defense Secretary Gates is en route to Egypt and Saudi Arabia for sessions aimed at reaffirming ties with the important regional powers.
- NPT review preparatory meeting to be held with Iran participation IRNA 03 May 2009 -- The preliminary meeting of a review conference on the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty will be held in New York on Monday with participation of Iranian delegation.
- Clinton Says US to Counter Chinese, Iranian and Russian Influence in Latin America VOA 02 May 2009 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the Obama administration is working to improve relations with Latin American leaders, in part, to counter the growing influence of China, Iran and Russia. Clinton says it is not in U.S. interests to shun countries in its own hemisphere.
- Iranian Helicopters Attack Iraqi Kurdish Border Region VOA 02 May 2009 -- Kurdistan's Zagros TV announced the raids by Iranian helicopters in the border region and quoted Kurdish officials as saying that it was the first time that combat helicopters have been used during months of sporadic border clashes. A Kurdish military spokesman said the helicopters did not violate Iraqi airspace but attacked by flying parallel to the border.
- U.S. Says Iran 'Most Active' Terrorism Sponsor RFE/RL 01 May 2009 -- US State Department: Iran remains the "most active state sponsor of terrorism" in the world.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list