US Reporter Jailed in Iran Ends Hunger Strike
By VOA News
06 May 2009
The father of imprisoned Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi says his daughter has ended her hunger strike after two weeks.
The freelance journalist was tried in Iran last month and sentenced to eight years in prison on charges of espionage.
Saberi's father, Reza Saberi, said Wednesday that she ended her hunger strike Monday. But Iran's judiciary denies she was on a hunger strike and says she is in good health.
An Iranian judiciary spokesman said an appeals court will hear Saberi's case next week.
Members of the press freedom group Reporters Without Borders have been staging a rotating hunger strike in solidarity with Saberi.
A spokeswoman said Tuesday that Saberi did not need to continue the protest, as others will do it for her.
Iran has criticized international involvement in the case, saying the judiciary is independent and outside interference contradicts international norms.
The U.S. has said the charges against Saberi are baseless.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and AP.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|