Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2008 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- N. Korea test fires short-range anti-ship missiles in Yellow Sea RIA Novosti 31 May 2008 -- North Korea has fired a number of short-range missiles off the western coast into the Yellow Sea, the Yonhap news agency said citing a S. Korean government sources.
- North Korea Fires 3 Missiles in Military Exercise VOA 31 May 2008 -- South Korea says North Korea has fired three short-range missiles off its west coast.
- Kim Jong Il Gives On-the-Spot Guidance to Recreation Ground in Mt. Paekun KCNA 31 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave on-the-spot guidance to the recreation ground in Mt. Paekun now being turned into a ground for people's cultural rest.
- US Envoy Cautiously Optimistic North Korea Getting Ready to Produce Inventory of Nuclear Activity VOA 30 May 2008 -- U.S. envoy Christopher Hill says North Korea is preparing to provide a long overdue declaration of its nuclear activities
- Kim Jong Il Gives On-the-Spot Guidance to Hamhung University of Medicine KCNA 30 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave on-the-spot guidance to Hamhung University of Medicine.
- Intensified Anti-Imperialist Revolutionary Struggle Called for KCNA 30 May 2008 -- The revolutionary struggle of the popular masses is inevitable and it is bound to go on as long as imperialism exists. No desperate efforts on the part of the imperialists can ever block the revolutionary advance of the people in their own countries.
- No timeframe set for talks on N. Korea's denuclearization RIA Novosti 30 May 2008 -- No specific timeframe for resuming six-nation negotiations on North Korea's denuclearization has been fixed yet, the head of Russia's delegation to the talks said on Friday.
- Nuclear Envoys from North, South Korea Meet in Beijing VOA 30 May 2008 -- Negotiators from North and South Korea held brief talks Friday aimed at restarting the six-nation negotiations over North Korea's nuclear activities.
- Kim Jong Il Gives On-the-Spot Guidance to February 8 Vinalon Complex KCNA 29 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave on-the-spot guidance to the February 8 Vinalon Complex.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Art Performance Given by Art Squads of KPA Units KCNA 29 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il enjoyed an art performance given by art squads of KPA Units 324 and 604.
- U.S.-S. Korea Military Tie-ups for Aggression Assailed KCNA 29 May 2008 -- The south Korea-U.S. "annual security consultative meeting" is a product of dangerous conspiracy of bellicose forces at home and abroad standing against the DPRK
- U.S. Development of High-Tech Weapons under Fire KCNA 29 May 2008 -- The U.S. bellicose forces worked out a plan for "developing the battle system for future army" aimed at developing high-tech weapons and military equipment and are now pushing ahead with it at a time when the world is making positive efforts to create a peaceable environment.
- US, North Korean Nuclear Envoys Hold Second Day of Talks in China VOA 28 May 2008 -- The U.S. nuclear envoy and his North Korean counterpart have held a second day of talks in China on Pyongyang's secretive nuclear program.
- US, North Korean Nuclear Envoys Meet in China VOA 27 May 2008 -- U.S. nuclear envoy Christopher Hill has held talks with his North Korean counterpart, Kim Kye Kwan, in China.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects KPA Unit 1727 for Training Commissioned Officers KCNA 27 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected KPA Unit 1727 for training commissioned officers.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Sub-unit of KPA Unit 836 KCNA 27 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected a sub-unit of KPA Unit 836.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Sub-unit of KPA Unit 324 KCNA 26 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected a sub-unit of KPA Unit 324.
- Unity of Anti-Imperialist Independent Forces Called for KCNA 26 May 2008 -- The idea -- independence, peace and friendship -- enunciated by General Secretary Kim Jong Il as a basis of unity is the most just and solid foundation of unity and provides the anti-imperialist independent forces with a guarantee for displaying invincible might as it reflects the common desire and aspiration of the world progressives.
- North Korea nuclear issue to be discussed in Moscow RIA Novosti 26 May 2008 -- Russia, the United States and South Korea will continue talks on the denuclearization of North Korea in Moscow this week, Seoul's Yonhap news agency said on Monday.
- North Korea Weekly (May 19-25, 2008) ROK National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 892 (May 19 to 25, 2008) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Struggle against Dependence on Outsiders Called for KCNA 24 May 2008 -- Actions against the ruling forces' policy of dependence on the outsiders are now rapidly mounting in south Korea.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Heightened Vigilance against "Liberty" and "Democracy" Touted by Imperialists KCNA 23 May 2008 -- The world progressive people should not be taken in by "liberty and democracy" of aggressive nature much publicized by the imperialists but wage a dynamic struggle for genuine freedom and democracy.
- Russia, China call for peaceful solution to N.Korea nuke problem RIA Novosti 23 May 2008 -- Russia and China have spoken out in favor of finding a peaceful solution to the North Korean nuclear problem, the presidents of the two countries said in a joint declaration on Friday.
- US Envoy to Visit Beijing, Moscow for Talks on North Korean Nuclear Program VOA 23 May 2008 -- The State Department says U.S. nuclear envoy Christopher Hill will travel to Beijing and Moscow next week to brief officials on recent efforts to end North Korea's nuclear program.
- DPRK, Tax-free Country KCNA 22 May 2008 -- More than three decades have elapsed since the tax system was abolished in the DPRK.
- Brilliant Juche-Oriented Architecture KCNA 22 May 2008 -- The architectural art of the DPRK is on the road of steady development under the guidance of General Secretary Kim Jong Il.
- All Koreans Called upon to Turn out in Struggle for National Reunification KCNA 22 May 2008 -- Rodong Sinmun Wednesday in a signed article calls on all Koreans in the north and the south and overseas to turn out in the nationwide struggle for independent reunification and thus creditably perform their responsibility and role as a driving force for national reunification.
- North Korea to Demolish Part of Yongbyon Nuclear Facility VOA 21 May 2008 -- A top South Korean official in the talks on North Korea's nuclear weapons program says Pyongyang will soon demolish part of its main nuclear facility, a symbolic gesture of its commitment to nuclear disarmament.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Art Performance KCNA 19 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il enjoyed an art performance given by members of the art groups of families of servicepersons of KPA units 963, 966 and 233 who participated in the first contest of the second-term of art groups of families of servicepersons.
- U.S. to Offer Food to DPRK KCNA 19 May 2008 -- As already reported, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the United States of America discussed the food aid issue at negotiations held in Pyongyang on May 6 and 7 to cope with the worldwide food crisis.
- North Korea Weekly (May 12-18, 2008) ROK National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 891 (May 13 to 18, 2008) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Implementation of June 15 Joint Declaration and October 4 Declaration Called for KCNA 17 May 2008 -- The October 4 declaration serves as a programme for implementing the historic June 15 joint declaration in all fields and the independent reunification and peace and prosperity of the Korean nation can be guaranteed only when the Koreans firmly defend and implement the October 4 declaration, says Rodong Sinmun Friday in a signed article.
- Rodong Sinmun on WPK's Line of Building Rich and Powerful Country KCNA 17 May 2008 -- The line of the Workers' Party of Korea on building a great prosperous powerful nation is the Korean-style line on building a rich and powerful country, an embodiment of the Juche idea, Songun idea of President Kim Il Sung, and a scientific and revolutionary line which fully reflects the practical experience gained in socialist construction in the DPRK and the requirements of the developing reality.
- Preserving Juche Character and National Identity Called for KCNA 16 May 2008 -- Only when the Juche character and the national identity are preserved, is it possible to achieve the cause of national reunification and pave a wide avenue for national independent development and prosperity by frustrating the outsiders' interference and obstructions.
- Imperialists' Vicious Psychological Warfare under Fire KCNA 16 May 2008 -- The collapse of the East European socialist countries was obviously the result of the imperialists' vicious ideological and cultural poisoning and deceptive psychological warfare designed to bring down socialism.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Units in Kilju County and Kim Chaek City KCNA 14 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave on-the-spot guidance to various units in Kilju County and Kim Chaek City of North Hamgyong Province.
- Rodong Sinmun on U.S. Goal to Step up Arms Sale to south Korea KCNA 14 May 2008 -- A "bill on improved military cooperation" between the U.S. and south Korea, a bill calling for raising the status of south Korea in buying American weapons, was brought up for discussion at U.S. Congress in February.
- S. Korea Says North Will Submit Nuclear Declaration 'Within Days' VOA 14 May 2008 -- South Korea says the waiting for North Korea's overdue declaration of its nuclear activities is just about over
- US Says Pyongyang Offers Full Cooperation in Verifying Nuclear Deal VOA 13 May 2008 -- A senior U.S. diplomat says North Korea has agreed to cooperate fully in verifying the promised declaration of its nuclear program and activities
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Goat Farm and Plastic Tube Factory KCNA 13 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to the Chongjin Goat Farm and the Chongjin Plastic Tube Factory
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Ceramic Factory and Rest Home KCNA 13 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to the Kyongsong Ceramic Factory and the Onpho Rest Home. The first leg of his guidance was the Kyongsong Ceramic Factory.
- Firm Adherence to Stand of National Independence Called for KCNA 13 May 2008 -- The present era calls for settling all issues from an independent and patriotic stand while giving overriding importance to the country and the nation.
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 890 (May 6 to 12, 2008) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Command of KPA Unit 745 KCNA 12 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected the command of KPA Unit 745.
- Rodong Sinmun on Imperialists' Strong-Arm Policy KCNA 12 May 2008 -- The imperialists have historically pursued the strong-arm policy for the aggression and plunder of other countries and this policy is bound to prove bankrupt.
- North Korea Weekly (May 5-11, 2008) ROK National Intelligence Service
- US Receives 18,000 Nuclear Documents From North Korea VOA 10 May 2008 -- U.S. officials say they plan to thoroughly examine 18,000 documents detailing North Korea's nuclear program, which Pyongyang has turned over to an American envoy.
- Epidemiological Survey on Virus of Avian Flu Intensified in DPRK KCNA 10 May 2008 -- The DPRK has taken measures to prevent avian influenza from spreading to and breaking out in the country.
- Increased Military Strength Called for KCNA 10 May 2008 -- Peoples treasuring independence should increase their national defence capability with the steadfast revolutionary faith to foil the imperialists' aggression moves.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Command of KPA Unit 351 KCNA 09 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected the command of KPA Unit 351.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Command of KPA Unit 927 KCNA 09 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected the command of KPA unit 927.
- DPRK-U.S. Negotiations on Food Aid Held KCNA 09 May 2008 -- The U.S. food aid delegation visited the DPRK from May 5 to 8.
- Rodong Sinmun on Popular Policies of DPRK KCNA 09 May 2008 -- Under the socialist system of the DPRK to provide benefits for the promotion of people's well-being is the supreme principle of the Workers' Party of Korea and state activities and popular policies are widely enforced in various fields of social life.
- Implementation of Inter-Korean Declarations Called for KCNA 09 May 2008 -- The north-south joint declaration serves as one of independent reunification common to the nation both in name and reality as it embodies the nation's desire and aspiration for independence and the nation's will for independent reunification and indicates the way of achieving it.
- US Says North Korea Hands Over Nuclear Documents VOA 08 May 2008 -- The U.S. State Department says North Korea has turned over thousands of documents relating to its nuclear program to a U.S. envoy visiting Pyongyang
- Kim Jong Il Inspects KPA Unit KCNA 06 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected KPA Unit 1105 honored with the title of O Jung Hup-led 7th Regiment.
- Bird Flu Prevention Work Intensified in DPRK KCNA 06 May 2008 -- The DPRK is exerting greater effort to prevent the avian flu spreading in wide areas of the world because of the spring migration of wild birds.
- Tradition of Great National Unity Successfully Inherited KCNA 06 May 2008 -- The Korean people are striving hard to achieve the independent and peaceful reunification of the country true to the Juche-oriented idea of the great national unity.
- Rodong Sinmun on National Independence KCNA 06 May 2008 -- National independence serves as an ideological treasured sword and a banner of struggle that make it possible for the Koreans to improve the north-south relations and bring about a turning phase for national reunification by their concerted efforts.
- U.S. Bellicose Forces' Anti-DPRK Report under Fire KCNA 06 May 2008 -- The report "New start" published by the U.S. conservative hard-liners is a very provocative and dangerous war scenario and document to invade the DPRK with arms, says Rodong Sinmun today in a signed commentary.
- US Officials Visit North Korea to Arrange Possible Emergency Food Aid VOA 06 May 2008 -- A team of United States officials is visiting North Korea to survey the country's desperate food shortage
- Kim Jong Il Gives Field Guidance to Kosan Fruit Farm KCNA 05 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to the Kosan Fruit Farm.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Company of KPA Unit KCNA 05 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected a company of KPA Unit 720.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects KPA Unit Company KCNA 05 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected a company of KPA Unit 409.
- Kim Il Sung's Ideas and Theories on World Revolution KCNA 05 May 2008 -- President Kim Il Sung put forward the unique theories and strategies and tactics on the world revolution in the era of independence on the basis of the Juche idea and successfully applied them, thus hewing out the new road of the world revolution and performing the undying feats in accomplishing the human cause of independence, says Rodong Sinmun Sunday in a signed article.
- Imperialists' Psychological Warfare Blasted KCNA 05 May 2008 -- The imperialists are hell-bent on the psychological warfare to dampen the stamina of the revolutionary army and people in the DPRK.
- North Korea Weekly (April 28-May 4, 2008) ROK National Intelligence Service
- Rodong Sinmun on Transparent Anti-Imperialist Class Stand KCNA 03 May 2008 -- It is the transparent anti-imperialist class stand of the army and people in the DPRK that the true nature of the imperialists and class enemies can never change and there is no other way for them but to stand up firm against the enemies to the end.
- South Korea Says Multinational Nuclear Talks May Resume This Month VOA 02 May 2008 -- South Korean officials say six-nation talks aimed at ending North Korea's nuclear programs could resume within weeks
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Performance Given by State Merited Chorus KCNA 02 May 2008 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il enjoyed a performance given by the State Merited Chorus together with servicepersons of the KPA on the occasion of the May Day.
- Analysis: The Syrian Nuclear Puzzle cfr.org 01 May 2008 -- On matters of nonproliferation, policymakers and weapons inspectors share a disdain for secrets
- More than 170 Cases of Aerial Espionage Committed against DPRK in April KCNA 01 May 2008 -- Warmongers of the U.S. imperialist aggressor forces and the south Korean puppet armed forces committed at least 170 cases of aerial espionage against the DPRK with the mobilization of strategic and tactical reconnaissance planes of different missions in April, according to a military source.
- National Meeting Held to Mark May Day KCNA 01 May 2008 -- A national meeting was held at the People's Palace of Culture Wednesday to mark the 118th May Day, the international holiday of the working people the world over.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list