Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2006 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Pakistan test fires long-range ballistic missile IRNA 29 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan on Saturday successfully test fired a 2,000-km long-range ballistic capable of carrying a nuclear payload, the army said.
- Pakistan Test-Fires Long-Range Missile RFE/RL 29 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan said today it has successfully test-fired a long-range, nuclear-capable, surface-to-surface missile.
- Pak, India agree on 4-point conventional CBMs to avoid conflict IRNA 27 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan and India on Thursday agreed on a four-point Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) in the conventional fields aimed at avoidance of conflict between them.
- UN Official Says Pakistan Recognizes Need to Stop Taleban's Growth VOA 27 Apr 2006 -- The top U.N. representative in Afghanistan says that Pakistan recognizes the need to help keep the Taleban from regaining power
- Pakistan, India to finalize agreement to reduce nuclear accidents IRNA 26 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan and India on Wednesday concluded two-day talks on Nuclear Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) in Islamabad with resolve to work towards finalization of the agreement to reduce the risk of nuclear accidents.
- Pakistan, India Open Nuclear Talks in Islamabad VOA 25 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan and India have begun the latest round in long running nuclear talks in Islamabad
- Pakistan takes over multi-national Task Force-150 command IRNA 24 Apr 2006 -- The Pakistan Navy (PN) will take over command of the multi-national Task Force-150 of the Coalition Maritime Campaign Plan (CMCP) on Monday (today), the PN said
- Pakistan, India hold talks on nuclear issues on Tuesday: spokesperson IRNA 24 Apr 2006 -- The fourth round of expert level talks on nuclear Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) between Pakistan and India will begin on Tuesday in Islamabad, Foreign Office spokesperson Tasnim Aslam said on Monday.
- Pakistani Admiral Takes Command of Regional Maritime Task Force AFPS 24 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan today became the first regional country to command a combined task force in the Middle East in the war on terror.
- Wanted al Qaeda man killed in Pakistan tribal region IRNA 21 Apr 2006 -- An al-Qaeda member, wanted by the United States, was killed in Pakistan Bajur tribal region on Thursday after the suspect shot dead a local security man and injured two others, local journalist said.
- Pakistan Forces Kill Suspected Senior al-Qaida Militant VOA 21 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan security officials say they believe the militant killed in a clash with soldiers in a tribal area bordering Afghanistan on Thursday was a wanted al-Qaida terrorist.
- Pakistani fighter plane crashes, pilot ejects safely IRNA 20 Apr 2006 -- A Mirage jet fighter of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) crashed in the port city of Karachi on Thursday, but there were no casualties, a TV chan
- Pakistan: Simmering Baluchi Insurgency Complicates Regional Relations RFE/RL 20 Apr 2006 -- For decades, Pakistan's Baluchistan Province has been the scene of sporadic clashes between government troops and guerrillas who are fighting for autonomy
- Pro-Taleban Militants Kill at Least 7 Pakistani Soldiers in Ambush VOA 20 Apr 2006 -- Pakistani officials say pro-Taleban militants have killed at least seven local soldiers in an ambush Thursday in a troubled tribal region bordering Afghanistan.
- US, Afghan, Pakistan Forces to Hold Joint Military Exercise VOA 19 Apr 2006 -- Military leaders from Pakistan, Afghanistan and the United States met Wednesday outside the Pakistani capital
- Pakistani Security Forces Arrest at Least Three Al-Qaida Suspects VOA 18 Apr 2006 -- Pakistani officials say security forces have arrested at least three al-Qaida suspects after a gunfight near the Afghan border.
- Afghanistan: Islamabad Anxious As Kabul Gets Chummy With New Delhi RFE/RL 18 Apr 2006 -- While Afghan President Hamid Karzai tries to maintain balance in his country's relations with India and Pakistan, Islamabad might be feeling squeezed and do its best to undermine the renewed Afghan-Indian partnership -- at great cost to Afghanistan.
- Pakistan seeks US helicopters for combating terrorism: report IRNA 17 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan has urged the United States to provide its interior ministry with an air squadron comprising 10 helicopters and two planes, a TV channel reported on Sunday.
- Pakistan steps up security with Afghan border to check infiltration IRNA 17 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan has deployed regular army and paramilitary forces along its unfrequented routes leading to Afghanistan's eastern Kunar province and sealed the border, media reports said on Monday.
- Pakistan deploys regular army personnel along Pak-Afghan border IRNA 17 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan has deployed regular army and Frontier Corps personnel along the unfrequented routes leading to Afghanistan's Kunar province, sealing the two countries' joint border.
- Pakistan says no US guard on nuclear installations IRNA 17 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan said on Monday that it has not appointed any American guards on the country's nuclear installations.
- Pakistan deploys troops in Karachi to quell violence IRNA 13 Apr 2006 -- Troops were deployed in the restive Pakistani southern port city of Karachi on Thursday to check violence ahead of a funeral of several senior religious leaders who were killed in a deadliest bomb blast in the city two days ago, an army spokesman said.
- Pakistan Confirms Killing of Senior al-Qaida Explosive Expert VOA 13 Apr 2006 -- A Pakistani cabinet minister has confirmed that a senior al-Qaida explosives expert was killed during a raid on a suspected insurgent hideout in a tribal region bordering Afghanistan.
- Pakistan Deploys Troops in Karachi as Riots Continue VOA 13 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan has deployed army troops in Karachi, as more riots broke out ahead of Thursday's mass funerals for three leaders of a Sunni Muslim group killed in Tuesday's suicide attack.
- Pakistani Security Forces Attack Militant Hideout VOA 13 Apr 2006 -- Pakistani security forces have launched another attack on a suspected militant hideout in a restive tribal region near the Afghan border
- Pakistani religious group gives 48-hour ultimatum for arrests IRNA 12 Apr 2006 -- A Pakistani religious group, which lost several senior leaders in the Tuesday deadly suicide bomb attack in Karachi, on Wednesday gave a 48-hour ultimatum to the government to apprehend those behind the attack.
- Pakistan Cabinet approves fighter planes purchase IRNA 12 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan cabinet on Wednesday approved a plan to purchase the latest version of fighter F-16 planes and to materialize the purchase of ABS F-16s besides procurement of FC-10 Hi-tech Fighter Aircraft from China.
- Karachi Tense After Massive Suicide Bombing VOA 12 Apr 2006 -- Pakistani security forces are on high alert a day after a suicide-bomb attack in the southern city of Karachi killed more than 50 people.
- Bomb Blast in Karachi Kills at Least 56 People VOA 11 Apr 2006 -- A powerful bomb explosion at a religious gathering of Sunni Muslims in Pakistan has killed at least 56 people and injured dozens.
- Afghanistan: President Calls For Formal Cooperation With India, Pakistan RFE/RL 11 Apr 2006 -- Visiting Afghan President Hamid Karzai said today in India that he wants to involve both India and Pakistan in the three-way cooperation scheme that would enhance both security and economic development
- Pakistan Bans BLA as Terrorist Organization VOA 10 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan has banned a tribal militant group, the Baluchistan Liberation Army, after declaring it a terrorist organization
- Pakistan, France to hold joint air exercises on April 11 IRNA 08 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan and France will hold joint air exercises on April 11 (Tuesday), the first of a series that will enable French and Pakistani forces to train together, a French embassy statement said on Friday.
- Pakistan says 40 miscreants, 3 soldiers die in clashes IRNA 07 Apr 2006 -- Authorities of Pakistan's tribal region said on Thursday that 40 miscreants were killed in clashes took place between the miscreants and security forces in two different areas of North Waziristan Agency on Wednesday.
- Pakistan Says 40 Militants Killed in Fighting Near Afghan Border VOA 06 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan says up to 40 militants were killed during Wednesday's fighting with security forces in the North Waziristan tribal region, not 16 as reported earlier.
- Pakistan seeks US nuclear energy cooperation IRNA 05 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan on Tuesday renewed its call on the United States to adopt a similar approach to the country as it took in the case of India with their recently concluded nuclear energy cooperation deal.
- Pakistan making efforts to promote security along Afghan border: Musharraf IRNA 05 Apr 2006 -- President General Pervez Musharraf told the visiting U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Mr. Richard A. Boucher that Pakistan is making all possible efforts to promote security along the Afghan border, officials said.
- Pakistani fighter aircraft crashes, pilot dies IRNA 05 Apr 2006 -- A pilot of Pakistan Air Force (PAF) was killed when a fighter plane crashed in eastern Punjab province on Wednesday, a PAF statement said.
- 16 miscreants, three Pakistani soldiers die in tribal clashes: army IRNA 05 Apr 2006 -- At least 16 militants and three paramilitary troops were killed in clashes in Pakistan's restive North Waziristan tribal region, an army spokesman said on Wednesday.
- Pakistani court to hear appeals in Musharraf's attack case IRNA 03 Apr 2006 -- A court in Pakistan on Monday admitted appeals for hearing from four low-ranking air force employees against their death sentences they had been awarded for planning attack on President Musharraf in December 2003, defence lawyer said.
- Six Killed in Pakistan Violence VOA 02 Apr 2006 -- Pakistani officials say a series of explosions in the troubled southwestern province of Baluchistan has killed at least six people and wounded more than 25.
- Pak govt asks miscreants to surrender IRNA 01 Apr 2006 -- Pakistan government has asked the miscreants, fighting each other in the federally administered tribal areas to surrender.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list