09 May 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 09 May 2018 [PDF]
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 09 May 2018 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
- US sets up new base in Syria's Manbij region after Turkish threats: SDF official Press TV 09 May 2018 -- An official from the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) militant group says US military forces established a new base in Syria's Kurdish-populated northern town of Manbij months after Turkish authorities threatened to attack the area in the fight against terrorists from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).
- Afghanistan's capital hit by coordinated bombings Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Militants have engaged in a gunfight with police after setting off at least three explosions in two districts of Afghanistan's capital, Kabul.
- At Least Seven Killed In Attacks On Police Stations In Kabul RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- Attackers targeted two police stations in the Afghan capital, Kabul, on May 9 killing at least seven people and wounding 20 others, authorities said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Mattis: US Forces Withdrawal From Korean Peninsula Won't Be Discussed With North Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- Withdrawing US troops from the Korean Peninsula will not be on the table of negotiations with North Korea, Defense Secretary James Mattis said during a Senate hearing on Wednesday.
- US Dedicated Large Portion of Defense Intelligence to Look at Russia - Dunford Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- The United States has dedicated a large portion of its Defense Intelligence Agency to keep an eye on Russia, US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Joseph Dunford said during a Senate hearing on Wednesday.
- F-16 Service Life Extension Program a 'great deal' for DoD, taxpayers AFNS 09 May 2018 -- The Ogden Air Logistics Complex reached a major milestone in extending the life of one of the Air Force's most tested and flown multi-role fighter fleets.
- National Defense Strategy to Restore Competitive Edge, Mattis Tells Senate AFPS 09 May 2018 -- In the 15 months since Defense Secretary James N. Mattis assumed office, the Defense Department has made steady progress, he told the Senate Appropriations committee panel on defense on Capitol Hill today.
- Marine Snipers get more lethal with Mk13 Sniper Rifle USMC News 09 May 2018 -- The Marine Corps is adopting a new precision sniper rifle to increase the lethality and combat effectiveness of scout snipers on the battlefield.
- USS Bonhomme Richard Arrives in San Diego, Completes Homeport Shift NNS 09 May 2018 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) arrived in San Diego, concluding the ship's homeport change, May 8.
- SWRMC Receives Navy's First Fluidized Bed Powder Coating Machine NNS 09 May 2018 -- The first fluidized bed powder coating machine used by the U.S. Navy was certified April 26 for use in the Southwest Regional Maintenance Center (SWRMC) corrosion control shop.
- Lake Champlain Completes Pacific Deployment NNS 09 May 2018 -- Sailors from guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain (CG 57) returned home to Naval Base San Diego, May 9, after completing a four-month deployment.
- US Nuclear-Powered Aircraft Carrier Suffers Propulsion System Breakdown at Sea Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- A manufacturing error on the US Navy's newest multi-billion dollar aircraft carrier forced the ship to end shakedown testing and head back to port, Bloomberg News reports.
- Lockheed Martin, Pentagon Resume F-35 Deliveries Following Corrosion Dispute Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- The Pentagon and Lockheed Martin have agreed to start working together on F-35 transfers again, ending their standoff over which party should have to pay for production line changes needed to address a corrosion issue that had been discovered.
- Romania hosts NATO Allies for major Black Sea exercise NATO 09 May 2018 -- Naval assets from seven Allied nations and NATO's Standing Maritime Group 2 are training maritime capabilities and combat proficiency in the Black Sea from May 7 to 13 2018, as part of Exercise Sea Shield.
- Aviation video suggests China has developed new long-range bomber Global Times 09 May 2018 -- China revealed what military specialists believe could be a new long-range bomber for the first time to the public, showing that China has the ability to develop such aircraft.
- Y-20 heavy transport aircraft conducts first airborne, air delivery training People's Daily 09 May 2018 -- China's Y-20 heavy transport aircraft has undergone its first airborne and air delivery training, said the Chinese air force on Tuesday.
- China's J-20 Fifth-Gen Fighter Successfully Completes Combat Training at Sea Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- Over-the-sea combat training of China's new stealth fighter should help dispel Western defense analysts' doubts about the plane's combat readiness.
- India Downplays Chinese Threat in Indian Ocean, Says No Tension With China Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- Last month, the Indian Navy revealed that as part of its mission-based deployment, 50 ships have been constantly keeping vigil to keep India's maritime domain safe.
- Netanyahu: Israel Will 'Defend' Itself Against Iran's Moves In Syria RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- Israel will counter Iran's actions in Syria, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed on May 9 after talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow.
- Proposed military pension reform to take effect as scheduled: premier CNA 09 May 2018 -- Premier Lai Ching-te (賴清德) maintained Wednesday that the proposed reform of the military pension system, which has been met with protests, will go into effect as planned July 1.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders The White House 09 May 2018
- 9 May 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 May 2018
- Complex and deadly new threats mean UN missions must adapt, argue Force Commanders UN News 09 May 2018 -- Evolving and increasingly deadly threats, together with deepening humanitarian crises mean that United Nations peacekeeping missions around the world need more support for 'blue helmets' on the ground, Force Commanders told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- China, Japan agree on security hotline over disputed islands Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Japan and China have agreed to set up a security hotline aimed at preventing military clashes stemming from their territorial row over East China Sea islands.
- Hanoi demands Beijing withdraw missiles from disputed islands Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Vietnam has demanded that China withdraw military equipment from the South China Sea, following unconfirmed reports that China had installed missiles there.
- Vietnam Demands China Withdraw Alleged Military Equipment From S China Sea Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- Earlier, media reports appeared that China had deployed missiles in the South China Sea, a strategic waterway that for a long time has been an apple of discord between Beijing and Southeast Asian countries.
- 'Uphold international humanitarian law' UN chief tells parties to Yemen conflict UN News 09 May 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres expressed deep concern on Wednesday over the "recent and sharp escalation" in the Yemen conflict, calling on all parties to make civilian protection a priority.
- Saudi Air Defenses Intercept Yemeni Rebels Missile Over Riyadh - Report Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- It has been unclear whether the missile attack on Riyadh has resulted in any casualties or damage.
- Yemeni forces fire missiles at 'economic targets' in Saudi capital Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have fired a salvo of domestically-designed and -developed ballistic missiles at "economic targets" in the Saudi capital city of Riyadh in retaliation to the Al Saud's devastating military aggression against their impoverished country.
- Syria Attack Targets Iranian Troops, Kills Nine, War Monitor Says RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- Syrian state media have accused Israel of launching missiles at a target near Damascus, saying Syrian air defenses intercepted and shot down two of the incoming missiles. A war monitor said nine people were killed in the missile attack.
- US Created Base in Syria Because of Turkey's Saber-Rattling - SDF Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- Ankara and Washington are reportedly in intense negotiations over the fate of the northern Syrian region of Manbij as senior US officials remain at odds over the withdrawal of American troops from Syria.
- Air raids in Syria will continue until full annihilation of Daesh: Al-Abadi IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Heydar Al-Abadi said late Wednesday that Iraq will keep up its air raids on Syrian soil until full annihilation of Daesh terrorist group.
- New Armenia PM 'ready for talks with Baku on Karabakh' Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Armenia's newly elected Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has signaled continuity in policy on the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, expressing his readiness for more talks with Azerbaijan but seeks the participation of separatists in the process.
- Armenia's Pashinian Calls For Karabakh Leaders' Involvement In Peace Talks RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- A day after being chosen Armenia's new prime minister, Nikol Pashinian has called for the de facto authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh, a region in Azerbaijan under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, to become a party in the internationally mediated talks to resolve the long-standing conflict between Yerevan and Baku.
- Libyans deserve justice, as war crime suspects remain at large: Prosecutor UN News 09 May 2018 -- Despite an International Criminal Court arrest warrant, a Libyan war crimes suspect remains at large and could have committed further murders, the ICC Prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- Iranian Forces in Syria Shell Golan Bases, Israel Says VOA 09 May 2018 -- Iranian forces fired 20 rockets at Israeli army posts in the Golan Heights from inside Syria, the Israeli military reported late Wednesday.
- Diplomat Faults US Review of Aid for South Sudan VOA 09 May 2018 -- A top South Sudan diplomat in the United States calls the U.S. review of South Sudan assistance a step backward for peace negotiations.
- FBI Reportedly Questioned Russian Tycoon About Payments To Trump Attorney RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- A Russian billionaire with ties to the Kremlin has recently been questioned by FBI agents about hundreds of thousands of dollars his company's U.S. affiliate allegedly paid to President Donald Trump's longtime personal attorney, media report.
- Columbus Nova: Meet The Russia-Linked Firm That Hired Trump's Lawyer RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- Political donations, family ties to a Russian billionaire hit by U.S. sanctions, and a foray into the world of video games: These are a few of the reasons the New York-based investment firm Columbus Nova has faced media and public scrutiny in recent months.
- Russian Hackers Attacked U.S. Voting Systems in 2016, Senate Panel Says RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- Hackers affiliated with the Russian government conducted an "unprecedented, coordinated" campaign against the U.S. voting system, including successfully penetrating a few voter-registration databases in 2016, a Senate committee has concluded.
- Trump's CIA Pick Vows No Use of Harsh Techniques VOA 09 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's pick to head the country's spy agency promised lawmakers not to revive a program featuring so-called enhanced interrogations of terror suspects but repeatedly refused to condemn the practices as illegal or immoral.
- Haspel: CIA Won't Restart Detention, Interrogation Program Under Her Guidance Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- US Acting Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director Gina Haspel said in testimony on Wednesday before the Senate Intelligence Committee that the agency will not restart a detention and interrogation program if she is confirmed as director.
- No More 'Enhanced' Interrogation, CIA Nominee Pledges RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- Gina Haspel, U.S. President Donald Trump's nominee for CIA director, has pledged she would never resume the spy agency's "enhanced interrogation techniques," often denounced as torture.
- Ex-CIA agent charged with spying for China Press TV 09 May 2018 -- A former CIA officer apprehended in January at New York's John F. Kennedy airport is now facing charges of conspiracy to commit espionage on behalf of China.
- Putin Hits Out At U.S. In Red Square Parade Speech RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has issued veiled criticism of the United States in a speech before a Red Square parade marking the anniversary of Germany's defeat in World War II, listing "pretentions to exceptionalism" as a factor that drove Nazi aggression and saying such attitudes remain a threat to global security today.
- 'Do Not Respond': Did The Soviet Government Abandon Its WWII Prisoners? RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- As Russia's government pulled out all the stops on May 9 to celebrate the Soviet victory over Nazi Germany and to remember the estimated 25 million Soviets who died during the war, historian Konstantin Bogoslavsky was working to shed light on the fate of Soviet POWs "abandoned" by their own government.
- Hostage Release Seen as Part of N. Korea's Chess Game VOA 09 May 2018 -- North Korea's release of three U.S. citizens may help pave the way for talks between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un, but questions remain as to whether those talks will succeed.
- Trump: Details on North Korea Summit Coming Soon VOA 09 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday that the date and location of his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un would be announced within three days, but that the meeting would not occur at the Korean Demilitarized Zone, which he had previously suggested was a possible venue.
- China Steps Up Diplomatic Efforts as Trump-Kim Meeting Nears VOA 09 May 2018 -- Analysts say Chinese President Xi Jinping's second meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un a little more than a month from now is a sign of just how anxious Beijing is about a nuclear deal on the Korean Peninsula and the impact an agreement could have on its strategic interests.
- KCNA Commentary on Fruition of DPRK's Peace Policy KCNA 09 May 2018 -- The historic Panmunjom meeting and talks between the top leaders of the north and the south of Korea and the April 27 Declaration are welcomed and fully supported by the whole world.
- KCNA Commentary Calls for Maintaining Principle of National Independence KCNA 09 May 2018 -- Strong enthusiasm for national reunification is running high across the 3 000-ri land of Korea after the April 27 special event in Panmunjom.
- Trump not to meet with North Korean leader in DMZ Press TV 09 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump says his scheduled meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will not be held in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) between North and South Korea.
- Trump: Three US prisoners returning home from N Korea with Pompeo Press TV 09 May 2018 -- While US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was in North Korea to prepare for the upcoming summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, Trump says Pompeo is bringing back three Americans held prisoners in North Korea.
- China, South Korea, Japan back denuclearization of Korean Peninsula Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Leaders of China, South Korea and Japan meet in a three-way summit to support North Korea's historic move toward denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula ahead of the first-ever upcoming meeting between US President Donald Trump and North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un.
- US committed to working with N Korea to reach peace: Pompeo Press TV 09 May 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has told North Korean officials that Washington will work with Pyongyang to establish peace on the Korean Peninsula.
- Trump: 'Very Severe Consequences' if Iran Starts Nuclear Weapons Program VOA 09 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump warned Iran Wednesday there would be "very severe consequences" if it starts developing nuclear weapons in the wake of the U.S. withdrawal from a 2015 international pact aimed at restraining Tehran's nuclear program.
- US to Press Europe to Reduce Iran Investments VOA 09 May 2018 -- A U.S. official responsible for Iran policy said Wednesday that one of the United States' first priorities following its exit from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal would be pressing European nations to reduce investments in the Iranian economy.
- Iran Deal Signatories Still Committed After US Exit VOA 09 May 2018 -- Five world powers that are signatories to the international pact to restrain Iran's nuclear weapons development all voiced support for the deal Wednesday, a day after U.S. President Donald Trump assailed it and withdrew the United States.
- All Eyes on Israel as Mideast Tensions Spike VOA 09 May 2018 -- Right up until until the final hours, America's European allies held out hope they could dissuade President Donald Trump from withdrawing the U.S. from the Iran nuclear accord. As the announcement deadline loomed, however, their hopes appeared ever more forlorn and desperate.
- Iran deal represents 'significant verification gain' - UN atomic energy chief UN News 09 May 2018 -- Speaking the day after the United States withdrew from an international agreement on Iran's nuclear programme, the head of the United Nations atomic watchdog agency made it clear that Iran has consistently stuck to its commitments.
- What Now? Iran's Options After U.S. Pulls Out Of Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- Iran's reaction to U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to quit the Iran nuclear deal has been swift and vocal. Iranian officials have issued condemnations, and lawmakers have burned an American flag and cried "Death to America!" in parliament.
- Trump Warns Iran Not To Restart Nuclear Program RFE/RL 09 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on May 9 warned Iran not to resume its nuclear program, a day after announcing that America was leaving a landmark nuclear deal between world powers and Tehran.
- Mattis Says U.S., Allies Must Deal With Range of Iranian Malign Activities AFPS 09 May 2018 -- The United States will continue to work with other nations to address the range of Iranian malign influences, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis told the Senate Appropriations defense subcommittee today.
- Statement by IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano IAEA 09 May 2018
- Defense minister: No one to pay heed to Trump's rude stands IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Iran's Minister of Defense Brigadier General Amir Hatami said on Wednesday that no one will pay attention to the ill-mannered stands adopted by the US president on Iran's nuclear deal which has already been approved by world countries and organizations.
- Turkey: Withdrawal from JCPOA to damage US credibility IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Turkish Presidential Spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said on Wednesday that withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal would damage the international credibility of the United States.
- Iran: US withdrawal included in planning budget bill IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Iranian government spokesman said on Wednesday that the government has considered the US withdrawal from the nuclear deal in planning the budget bill.
- China: US withdrawal from JCPOA to destabilize region IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Chinese Ambassador to Algeria Yang Guangyu said on Wednesday that the unilateral US withdrawal from the JCPOA will destabilize the region.
- Trump behavior towards JCPOA destabilizing: Iran speaker IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Iranian parliament speaker described the US move to withdraw the nuclear deal reached between Islamic Republic and world powers destabilizing.
- Amano: IAEA confirms Iran's commitment to nuclear pledges IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Director General for International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano in a statement on Wednesday underlined that the agency confirms implementation of Iran's nuclear obligations according to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Pakistan laments Trump JCPOA withdrawal IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Pakistan says that US President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from Iran nuclear deal will undermine confidence in the value of dialogue and diplomacy in the conduct of international relations and the peaceful resolution of disputes.
- US exit from Iran Deal, a pretext: IRGC cmdr IRNA 09 May 2018 -- US May 8 decision to leave Iran nuclear deal indicated that the issue of enrichment was a pretext from the beginning, commander of Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) announced here on Wednesday.
- Iran Leader: Trump's words empty, absurd IRNA 09 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump's words were empty and absurd; he told lies several times, said Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Wednesday.
- France still upholds JCPOA, Macron to call Rouhani soon IRNA 09 May 2018 -- In reaction to US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said JCPOA is still in place.
- Iran Army cmdr blasts US unfaithful treatment of JCPOA IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Iran's Army commander said on Wednesday that the US May 8 decision on leaving the 2015 nuclear deal proved Washington is not loyal in meeting its commitments.
- Airbus, Boeing react to Trump's quitting JCPOA IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Europe's aircraft manufacturer Airbus has said it needs to review the US withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal before taking any actions, but its American peer, Boeing, has announced it will follow US policies.
- US not loyal even to its own signature: Iran top cmdr IRNA 09 May 2018 -- The United States by unilaterally leaving the July 2015 nuclear deal proved that it is not faithful even to its own signature, top Iranian military commander announced here on Wednesday.
- UN chief 'deeply concerned' by US decision to exit Iran nuclear deal IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Following a decision on Tuesday by the United States to withdraw from the 2015 nuclear agreement with Iran, the United Nations chief said he was "deeply concerned" by the move, and called on all parties to preserve the deal, said Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesperson for the United Nations Secretary-General.
- Russia slams US decision to withdraw from Iran deal IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Moscow is 'deeply disappointed' by US President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal, said a Russian Foreign Ministry statement on Tuesday.
- British FM expresses regret over Trump JCPOA withdrawal IRNA 09 May 2018 -- UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson expressed regret over US President Donald Trump recent act to leave Iran nuclear deal.
- UK, France and Germany vow to remain committed to JCPOA IRNA 09 May 2018 -- The UK, France and Germany have issued a joint statement criticizing President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw the US from the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Syria condemns US decision to withdraw from JCPOA IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Syria strongly condemned the US president's decision to withdraw from the nuclear deal reached between Iran and G5+1 (US, UK, Russia, France, China plus Germany) in 2015.
- Obama calls Trump decision to leave JCPOA a mistake IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Former US President Barack Obama in a statement said Trump's decision to walking away from Iran Deal was a mistake.
- Foreign minister: Iran to examine future of JCPOA IRNA 09 May 2018 -- Iran will examine the future of Iran nuclear deal known as Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said.
- Iran nuclear deal will stay in place regardless of Trump's position: Russia IRNA 09 May 2018 -- The Iran nuclear deal will stay in place, regardless of US President Donald Trump's position, but there will be problems with its implementation, Russia's Permanent Representative to the European Union Vladimir Chizhov said on Tuesday.
- France, UK, Germany voicing regret over US act IRNA 09 May 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron in a message on Twitter expressed France, UK and Germany's regrets over US President recent anti-JCPOA act.
- Iranian MPs denounce US' decision to withdraw from JCPOA ISNA 09 May 2018 -- Deputies of the Islamic Parliament of Iran condemned US President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iranian officials' reactions to US' withdrawal from JCPOA ISNA 09 May 2018 -- A number of Iranian officials reacted to US President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- President in a televised address to people on JCPOA: Iran will remain in JCPOA: Rouhani ISNA 09 May 2018 -- Iranian President stressed that if Iran's goals are met by other siders, the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) will stand, saying, "People must not be worried at all; we know from long ago that Trump cannot be trusted".
- Following US' withdrawal from JCPOA; Zarif says Tehran to determine its response after assessing Iran's full interests ISNA 09 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif emphasized Iran will determine its response after examining whether remaining JCPOA participants can ensure its full benefits for Iran.
- Trump announces U.S. withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal, evoking concern People's Daily 09 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that he will withdraw the United States from the Iran nuclear deal, a landmark international agreement signed in 2015.
- EU pledges commitment to Iran nuclear deal, regrets Trump decision Press TV 09 May 2018 -- The European Union (EU)'s foreign policy chief has reiterated its support for the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, saying it "regrets" US President Donald Trump's decision on Tuesday to withdraw his country from the agreement.
- Iran vows to boost defense program despite US threats Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Senior Iranian defense officials say the US president's latest claims and threats have failed to break the nation's iron will to strengthen its defense power, vowing that the Islamic Republic will continue to develop its national defense program.
- Germany vows to protect EU firms against Iran bans Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Germany says it will try to protect European companies from any adverse effects from US President Donald Trump's decision to quit the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement.
- Boris Jonson: Britain has 'no intention of walking away' from the Iran nuclear deal Press TV 09 May 2018 -- UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson says his government has "no intention of walking away" from the Iran nuclear agreement, despite President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw the United States from the deal.
- Iran implementing commitments under JCPOA: UN watchdog Press TV 09 May 2018 -- The United Nations' nuclear watchdog says Iran is honoring its commitments under the nuclear agreement it reached with world powers in 2015 a day after US President Donald Trump pulled Washington out of the landmark deal in defiance of international warnings.
- Iran sanctions to cost Boeing, Airbus $39bn Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Following Tuesday's announcement by US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin that licenses for global Boeing and Airbus to sell planes to Iran will be revoked, speculations emerged in media that the aviation giants would lose $39 billion from lost Iran deals.
- Abandoning Iran nuclear deal Trump's 'most foolish decision yet': Rice Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Former national security adviser Susan Rice has called President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw the United States from the Iran nuclear deal his "most foolish decision yet," saying the move will leave an "inconstant America isolated from its allies and far less safe."
- Leader: Trump's speech against Iran 'silly and superficial' Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says President Donald Trump's speech announcing US withdrawal from a nuclear deal with Iran was "silly and superficial."
- EU, Russia, China rally behind Iran after Trump's move Press TV 09 May 2018 -- The EU, Russia, China and Turkey have rallied behind Iran, trying to salvage the international nuclear pact after President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of the landmark accord.
- Iran press, people react after Trump pulls US out of nuclear deal Press TV 09 May 2018 -- The Iranian press and people from all political leanings have lashed out alike at the United States over its withdrawal from the multilateral nuclear deal with the Islamic Republic, while a student rally has been planned in the capital to condemn the move.
- Iran MPs table motion on response to Trump decision Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Iranian lawmakers have denounced US withdrawal from the 2015 multilateral nuclear agreement, introducing a motion that calls for "proportional and reciprocal" action by the government.
- Boeing, Airbus licenses to sell jets to Iran to be revoked: US Treasury Press TV 09 May 2018 -- The US Treasury says licenses held by aerospace giants Boeing and Airbus to sell passenger jets to Iran will be revoked after Washington announced its withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Saudis to Seek Nuclear Weapon If Iran Resumes Its Nuclear Program - FM Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- The US decision to withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), more commonly known as the Iran nuclear deal, has sparked uncertainty over the nuclear agreement and Tehran's potential reaction.
- Iran to Face 'Very Severe Consequences' If Restarts Nuclear Program - Trump Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said Wednesday that Iran would either negotiate or "something will happen."
- Iran Has Ready-Made Plan, Proportional to US Withdrawal From Deal - Spokesman Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has revealed his decision to pull out Washington from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), more widely known as the Iran nuclear deal.
- Top 4 Possible Scenarios to Come as US Pulls Out From Iran Nuke Deal Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- With US President Donald Trump announcing the decision to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal, people around the world are left wondering about what's going to happen next, and how the parties involved in the making of this agreement might attempt to salvage the situation.
- US 'Will Lose' From Leaving Iran Deal, Tehran Abiding to Agreement - Erdogan Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump announced plans to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal on Tuesday, drawing criticism from Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and others who view the move as an escalation and a potential threat to all of the progress made via talks in 2015.
- IAEA Confirms Iran Fulfills Nuke-Related Commitments Despite US Exit From Deal Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- On May 8, US President Donald Trump announced that the United States would no longer remain part of the JCPOA and promised to re-impose the highest level of economic sanctions against Iran in response to Tehran's development of the nuclear program.
- Iran's Supreme Leader to Trump on Nuke Deal Exit: "You Cannot Do a Damn Thing" Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has described Trump's speech on US withdrawal from the Iranian Nuclear deal as "silly and superficial."
- Russian FM: Moscow Regrets US Decision to Withdraw From Iran Nuclear Deal Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry expressed on Tuesday its regret over the US decision to withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) known as the Iranian nuclear deal.
- US Treasury to Reimpose Sanctions on Iranian Energy, Shipbuilding Sectors Sputnik 09 May 2018 -- The new US sanctions will also target Tehran's ability to borrow in global financial markets and limit trade in autos and aircraft in three months, the US Treasury Department announced in a press release on Tuesday.
- 16 diplomatic allies to address Taiwan's exclusion from WHA meeting CNA 09 May 2018 -- Sixteen of Taiwan's 19 diplomatic allies have sent formal letters to the World Health Organization (WHO) asking that the failure to invite Taiwan to the organization's annual assembly be a topic for discussion at the upcoming World Health Assembly (WHA) meeting later this month, a government official said on Wednesday.
- U.S. expresses dismay at China blocking Taiwan from attending WHA CNA 09 May 2018 -- The United States on Tuesday expressed dismay at China for blocking the World Health Organization (WHO) from inviting Taiwan to attend this year's meeting of the World Health Assembly (WHA), the WHO's decision-making body.
- EU voices support for Taiwan's participation in WHA CNA 09 May 2018 -- The 28-member European Union (EU) on Tuesday voiced support for Taiwan's participation in the annual World Health Assembly (WHA) meeting.
- UN human rights chief calls on Turkey to end state of emergency Press TV 09 May 2018 -- The United Nations human rights chief has called on Turkey to lift the country's repeatedly extended state of emergency to pave the way for free and fair elections.
- State of emergency must be lifted for 'credible elections' in Turkey, says UN rights chief UN News 09 May 2018 -- Long-term restrictions on "freedoms of expression, assembly and association" are incompatible with the holding of "credible elections" in Turkey, said the United Nations human rights chief on Wednesday, calling on the Government to lift its extended state of emergency.
- Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan in dispute over dam on Nile Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia have failed to reach a deal on the distribution of water from the Nile River.
- Lebanon elections 'vital step' in democracy-building: UN chief UN News 09 May 2018 -- Congratulating Lebanon on holding parliamentary elections on Sunday , United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has called on the country's political leaders to work in "a spirit of unity".
- Malaysian Ex-PM, 92, Stuns World by Returning to Power VOA 09 May 2018 -- The 92-year-old former prime minister of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohamad, has stunned the world by emerging from retirement to win Wednesday's parliamentary election.
- Malaysians end voting in toughest ever general election Press TV 09 May 2018 -- Polls have closed in Malaysia's fiercely contested race between scandal-hit incumbent Prime Minister Najib Razak and his former mentor Mahathir Mohamad.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|