Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2009 - Iran Special Weapons News
- US could live with Iranian uranium enrichment program: expert IRNA 31 Jan 2009 -- The US could ultimately agree to an uranium enrichment program on Iranian territory, said the executive director of the Washington-based think-tank The Nixon Center, Paul J. Saunders in an exclusive interview with IRNA in Berlin.
- Reports Emerge On High-Level U.S.-Iran Talks RFE/RL 30 Jan 2009 -- A meeting apparently took place last year between former US Defense Secretary Perry and adviser to Iran's President.
- IRIAF manufactures Iran's first radar-evading fighter plane IRNA 30 Jan 2009 -- Prototype of first Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force radar evading fighter jet was test-flied Friday, according to IRIAF.
- EU selective in combating terrorism, says Iran IRNA 29 Jan 2009 -- The Iranian Embassy has condemned the decision by the EU to remove the MKO terrorist group from its list of proscribed organisations.
- Iran set to launch first domestic satellite by March 20 RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2009 -- Iran plans to put its first domestically made communication satellite into orbit by March 19-20.
- Khatami says he would rather not run for president IRNA 28 Jan 2009 -- Former Iranian president Mohammad Khatami would rather not run for president, as his running might cost expenses for country.
- Clinton: Iran Has 'Clear Opportunity' to Engage with US, Others VOA 28 Jan 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton: Iran has a clear opportunity to engage meaningfully with the US and others in the world community.
- Obama offers thaw in Iran ties IRNA 28 Jan 2009 -- US President Barack Obama said that the new US Administration will seek greater diplomatic engagement with Iran.
- Gates Warns of Iranian Influence in Latin America VOA 28 Jan 2009 -- US SecDef Gates is concerned about new activities of Iran in the region.
- Iran, Syria sign agreements on scientific cooperation IRNA 28 Jan 2009 -- Iran and Syria signed an agreement on scientific and technology cooperation.
- Iraq, Turkey, Iran Vulnerable To Ethnic Conflict RFE/RL 28 Jan 2009 -- Occasionally, I have heated discussions with my Turkish and Kurdish friends.
- Iran says 'self-sufficient' in missile production RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2009 -- Defense Minister: Iran has achieved self-sufficiency in manufacturing combat missiles of various modifications.
- Obama: US Willingness to Talk With Iran Important VOA 27 Jan 2009 -- US President Barack Obama says the United States must be willing to engage in diplomacy with Iran.
- Diplomat: Iran able to export uranium IRNA 27 Jan 2009 -- Veteran Iranian diplomat Mahmoud-Mehdi Soltani said on Tuesday that Iran is capable enough to export uranium.
- 900,000 hectares of mine-infested lands cleared IRNA 27 Jan 2009 -- Minister of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics Brigadier General Mostafa Mohammad Najjar: 900,000 hectares identified or cleared.
- Bushehr Nuclear Plant's fuel pool strength test begins IRNA 26 Jan 2009 -- AtomStroyExport announced activities at that plant proceeding as scheduled, including its fuel pool strength test, which began Monday.
- Iran, Syria to expand scientific cooperation IRNA 26 Jan 2009 -- Minister of Science, Research and Technology Mohammad Mehdi Zahedi said that the scientific cooperation between Iran and Syria will expand.
- EU Removes Iranian Opposition Group From Terror List VOA 26 Jan 2009 -- EU will remove an Iranian opposition group from its terrorist list, thus freeing the group's frozen assets.
- Iraqi Envoy In Iran Says MKO Extradition Not Possible RFE/RL 25 Jan 2009 -- Iraq has no extradition agreement with Iran and any member of the Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO) opposition group will be handed over only through the International Committee of the Red Cross, Iraq's ambassador in Tehran told RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq
- Larijani: US approach at next G5+1 meeting a test for change IRNA 25 Jan 2009 -- Majlis speaker Ali Larijani said on Sunday that the US approach at the next meeting of Group 5+1 and the way it deals with Iran's nuclear issue would be a test for change of Washington's policy towards Tehran under President Barack Obama
- AFP: Iran says Not Meddling in Iraqi Elections VOA 24 Jan 2009 -- Iran's ambassador to Baghdad has rejected U.S. accusations that Iran is seeking to interfere in upcoming elections in Iraq.
- Mr Obama, kindly clear this carcass IRNA 24 Jan 2009 -- As the 44th US President, Barack Obama, the nation's first black head of state, inherits a bulk of wrong policies perpetrated by his predecessor George Bush the Junior
- Rubai: Ashraf Camp soon to be closed IRNA 23 Jan 2009 -- Iraqi National Security Advisor Muvafaq al-Rubai: Ashraf Camp, the base of the terrorist Mujahideen Khalq Organization in Iraq, will be closed for ever.
- Iran Increases Pressure On Critics Ahead Of June's Presidential Election RFE/RL 21 Jan 2009 -- The arrest of AIDS specialists for allegedly plotting a revolution in Iran have generated concern among rights activists.
- Iran considers Iraqi security as its own: FM IRNA 21 Jan 2009 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Saturday evening that Tehran considers Iraqi security as its own.
- Iran, Tanzania to expand defense cooperation IRNA 21 Jan 2009 -- Iran and Tanzania here on Wednesday signed a deal for mutual cooperation in the field of defense.
- Berlin unaware of '5 plus 1' meeting on Iran IRNA 21 Jan 2009 -- A German Foreign Ministry spokesperson said he was unaware of any plans for a '5 plus 1' meeting on Iran's nuclear program early next month.
- Two Doctors Convicted In Iran Conspiracy Case RFE/RL 20 Jan 2009 -- Two doctors known for their AIDS-prevention work have been found guilty of being involved in plot to overthrow the Iranian government.
- Student Group Protests University Quota For Militia Members RFE/RL 20 Jan 2009 -- Pro-reform student group, the Office to Foster Unity, protested reports that the Basij militia could be given a quota for universities.
- Iran not seeking to build nuclear bomb: Assad IRNA 19 Jan 2009 -- Iran is not trying to build a nuclear bomb, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Monday in an exclusive interview with the weekly Der Spiegel news magazine.
- New U.S.-U.A.E. Deal Raises Eyebrows Amid Concern Over Iran's Nuclear Program RFE/RL 16 Jan 2009 -- US signed agreement to cooperate in developing nuclear energy program in the United Arab Emirates.
- Alaei Brothers Reportedly Charged In Iran With Overthrowing Government RFE/RL 14 Jan 2009 -- Kamiar and Arash Alaei are among the 4 Iranian citizens cited as having attempted to overthrow the government.
- Israel's blocking of humanitarian aid to Gaza to urge Iran to adopt different strategy IRNA 14 Jan 2009 -- If Israel would block path humanitarian aid Iran would adopt a different strategy.
- Russia to fulfill duties on completing Iran's nuclear power plant IRNA 14 Jan 2009 -- Russia would fulfill its commitments on completing Iran's first nuclear power plant in Bushehr despite of any pressures.
- US: Iran a Major Threat to Iraq's Stability VOA 14 Jan 2009 -- The US Defense Department says Iran continues to pose a major threat to Iraq's long-term stability.
- Clinton Offers Clues To 'Different' Tack On Iran RFE/RL 13 Jan 2009 -- There is broad consensus that immediate challenge will be to find ways to respond to Iran's growing regional influence and curb that country's nuclear ambitions.
- Reports Suggest Obama Faces Early Choice On Iran Covert Ops RFE/RL 13 Jan 2009 -- US media reports that President George W. Bush authorized a major program for covert operations in Iran.
- Gang of saboteurs related to US crushed in Iran IRNA 13 Jan 2009 -- Judiciary spokesman, Ali-Reza Jamshidi: A gang of saboteurs related to the US government was recently discovered and destroyed.
- Supreme Leader outlines general policies of fifth five-year plan IRNA 10 Jan 2009 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei in a letter on Saturday communicated the general policies of the fifth five-year economic development plan (2010-2015) to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- Interview: Iran Supports Hamas, but Hamas Is No Iranian 'Puppet' cfr.org 08 Jan 2009 -- Interviewee: Karim Sadjadpour, Associate, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- What Tehran Fears Most RFE/RL 08 Jan 2009 -- When Iranian foreign policy is mentioned, one image that immediately comes to mind is of the brash rantings of radical fundamentalist President Mahmud Ahmadinejad
- Analysis: The Iranian Veto on Mideast Peace cfr.org 08 Jan 2009 -- In the political calculus driving Israel's war with Hamas in Gaza, Iranian ambition has emerged as a critical--if not always clearly defined--variable
- Some Iranians Resent Gaza Appeals In Light Of Domestic Hardships RFE/RL 08 Jan 2009 -- Iran is the only country that cares about the Palestinian people or so Iran's political leaders have sought to convince people.
- Over 70,000 students sign up for martyrdom operation list IRNA 05 Jan 2009 -- More than 70,000 students from universities throughout Iran have signed up on the list to conduct martyrdom seeking operations.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list