Chechnya Background Readings
First Chechnya War - 1994-1996
- Why the Russian Military Failed in Chechnya, by MAJ Raymond C. Finch, III, U. S. Army, FMSO. (CALL Publication #98-16
- Wounded Bear: The Ongoing Russian Military Operation in Chechnya , by MAJ Gregory J. Celestan, U.S. Army
- RUSSIA'S INVASION OF CHECHNYA: A PRELIMINARY ASSESSMENT Stephen J. Blank & Earl H. Tilford, Jr. - Strategic Studies Institute (SSI) - January 13, 1995
- Air Operations in Low Intensity Conflict - The Case of Chechnya TIMOTHY L. THOMAS Airpower Journal Winter 97
- Caucasus Conflict and Russian Security: The Russian Armed Forces Confront Chechnya,, by Mr. Timothy L. Thomas, FMSO, 1995.
- War In Chechnya: Implications for Russian Security Policy
Mikhail Tsypkin, Editor, Naval Postgraduate School
- Introduction and Acknowledgement by Mikhail Tsypkin
- Possible Consequences of the Chechnya War for the General Situation in the Caucasus by Sergei Arutyunov
- War in Chechnya: The Impact On Civil-Military Relations In Russia by Aleksandr Belkin
- The Chechen Campaign by Pavel Felgenhauer
- The War in Chechnya: Implications for Military Reform and Creation of Mobile Forces by Vitaly Shlykov
- The War in Chechnya and a Crisis of Russian Statehood by Vladimir P. Averchev
- A Face of Future Battle: Chechen Fighter Shamil Basayev, by MAJ Raymond C. Finch, III, FMSO, 1997.
- Russian-Manufactured Armored Vehicle Vulnerability in Urban Combat: The Chechnya Experience by Mr. Lester W. Grau, Foreign Military Studies Office
- Changing Russian Urban Tactics: The Aftermath of the Battle for Grozny, by Mr. Lester W. Grau, FMSO, July 1995.
- The Battle of Grozny: Deadly Classroom for Urban Combat by Mr. Timothy L. Thomas, Foreign Military Studies Office, Parameters, Summer 1999, pp. 87-102.
- "Soft Log" and Concrete Canyons: Russian Urban Combat Logistics in Grozny by Mr. Lester W. Grau and Mr. Timothy L. Thomas, Foreign Military Studies Office, Marine Corps Gazette October 1999
Second Chechnya War - 1999-???
- Chechen Status Wide Differences Remain (P27) Charles Blandy Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK January 1998
- DAGESTAN:THE GATHERING STORM (S38) Charles Blandy Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK June 1998
- Chechnya: A Beleaguered President (O.B.61) Charles W Blandy Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK August 1998
- CHECHNYA. THE WHITE BOOK [Russian Information Centre and RIA Novosti, 03 April 2000] Chechnya gained de facto independence for several years, but it was not ready for it. It failed to take hold of its freedom, protect the rights of its citizens, or restore the economy. In a word, it failed to steer the developments into the right direction. Chechens could not come to an agreement with Russians or with each other.
- ISLAMIC FACTOR AND RUSSIA Russian Information Centre 15 February 2000 -- At present the main orientation of the US anti-Russian policy is to separate Russia from its immediate neighbourhood. Caspian oil is an important though not the main factor of Western expansion carried out in this region with the involvement of Islamic nations. The developments of the past few years prove that there are forces in the international arena, which are striving to realise a scenario of Russia's weakening by turning it into a confederation, if not of its complete disintegration. The North Caucasus is a rather vulnerable link in this respect, especially after the Chechen war. The US is using the Islamic factor to weaken Russia and assert its own domination in Eurasia. That is why Russian politicians should not forget who is behind the events in Chechnya or Tajikistan and with which forces it is really necessary to wage a war or to hold negotiations
- THE CHECHEN CHRONICLES '98 BASED ON 1998-1999 MEDIA REPORTS Russian Information Centre [31.01.2000] This review is based on 1998-1999 contributions to periodicals which describe developments in Chechnya in the latter half of 1998. The digest is interspersed with historical digressions on some of the issues.
- THE CHECHEN CHRONICLES '99 BASED ON 1998-1999 MEDIA REPORTS Russian Information Centre [21.01.2000] This review is a follow up to The Chechen Chronicles '98. It focuses on the Chechen internal political developments in 1999. Implications of developments in Daghestan in August 1999, the so-called Daghestan dimension of the Chechen Chronicles, is presented separately. The chronicles include the background of some inveterate issues. This review does not include any details on the current anti-terrorist operation pursued in Chechnya by the federal authorities.
- DEVELOPMENTS IN THE CAUCASUS AMID THE "BIG GAME" Russian Information Centre - 09.02.2000 -- The developments in the North Caucasus are linked with the strategic interests of many states and political forces, above all the Caspian oil, the important geo-strategic situation of the Caucasus, as well as the desire of some states to dominate in this region. In particular, NATO and the USA, seeking to win over certain Caucasian states, are encouraging them to take anti-Russian actions.
- HISTORICAL REFLECTIONS ON THE WAR IN CHECHNYA ANTERO LEITZINGER PERCEPTIONS JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS September-November 1997 Volume II - Number 3 -- As soon as the Soviet Union disintegrated, new Russia launched its foreign policy toward the newly independent Caucasian states based on the old traditions of pre-1917 imperial policy. Instead of developing completely new, modern strategies, Russia copied old ones, disregarding the fact that the world had changed.
- GEOPOLITICAL CHALLENGES TO MOSCOW IN THE TRANSCAUCASUS (F67) Dr M A Smith Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK September 1999
- The Generals Are Prepared To Carry Out any Order, but They Don't Want to Conquer Chechnya for the Time Being by Viktor Litovkin Moscow Obshchaya Gazeta 30 Sep 1999 - Troop, Armaments Deployment for Chechnya Operation
- Some Provisional Notes On Current Russian Operations In Dagestan & Chechnya Michael Orr 3 December, 1999
- SOME PROVISIONAL NOTES ON CURRENT RUSSIAN OPERATIONS IN DAGESTAN & CHECHNYA Michael Orr Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK 3 Dec 99
- WILL RUSSIA GO FOR A MILITARY VICTORY IN CHECHNYA? (O.B. 74) Pavel Baev Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK January 2000
- SECOND TIME LUCKY? EVALUATING RUSSIAN PERFORMANCE IN THE SECOND CHECHEN WAR Michael Orr Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK March 2000
- Dagestan: The Storm Part I - The 'Invasion' of Avaristan (P30) Charles Blandy Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK March 2000
- CAN RUSSIA DO IT ALONE IN THE CAUCASUS? PAVEL K. BAEV PERCEPTIONS JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS September-November 1997 Volume II - Number 3 -- Russia's failed efforts to block NATO expansion and the deadlocks of its policy in the Caucasus are parts of the same process of geopolitical retreat.
- Dagestan: The Storm Part 2 - The Federal Assault on the "Kadar Complex" (P32) Charles Blandy Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK June 2000
- NORTH CAUCASUS MILITARY DISTRICT: DEFENDING RUSSIA'S INTERESTS IN THE CAUCASUS (1996-AUGUST 1999) A101 Dr S J Main Conflict Studies Research Centre, Sandhurst UK June 2000
- The Second Chechen War: The Information Component by Emil Pain, Former Russian Ethno-national Relations Advisor, Military Review July-August 2000
- Grozny 2000: Urban Combat Lessons Learned by Mr. Timothy L. Thomas - Foreign Military Studies Office, Fort Leavenworth, KS. Military Review July-August 2000
- Trouble in the North Caucasus by General Anatoliy S. Kulikov, Former Russian Interior Minister, Military Review July-August 1999
- THE LOGISTICS OF THE COUNTER-TERRORIST OPERATION IN THE NORTH CAUCASUS Participants: VLADIMIR I. ISSAKOV - Colonel-General, Head of Logistics of the Russian Armed Forces, Deputy Defence Minister and IVAN M. CHIZH - Colonel-General (Medicine), Head of the Main Military-Medical Directorate of the Defence Ministry -- 09.12.1999
- Results of the Fulfilment of Official Combat Tasks by the Russian Interior Ministry Troops in 1999. Interior Ministry Troops Participation in Anti-Terrorist Operation in Chechnya VYACHESLAV V. OVCHINNIKOV - Colonel-General, Deputy Minister of the Interior Ministry and Commander-in-Chief of the Interior Ministry troops 09.12.1999
- CHECHNYA VIOLATES BASIC LEGAL NORMS Russian Federation Ministry of Justice information 08.12.1999 13:00
- Aggressive extremism under cover of Islam: adventure in Dagestan, its consequences and lessons Morozov Y., Lutovinov V. 25.11.1999
- Legal Assessment of the Actions of Persons Who Are in Power in the Chechen Republic from the Viewpoint of International Law Russian Federation Ministry of Justice information 20.11.1999
- ON THE ETHNO-POLITICAL AND HUMANITARIAN SITUATION IN THE CHECHEN REPUBLIC Russian Ministry for the Federation and Nationalities 10.11.1999
- DECLARATION ON CHECHNYA EUROPEAN UNION PRESIDENCY CONCLUSIONS HELSINKI EUROPEAN COUNCIL 10 AND 11 DECEMBER 1999
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|