Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2008 - Iran Special Weapons News
- IAEA clears all so-called 'concerns', says Iran IRNA 31 May 2008 -- Iran has welcomed the clearing all outstanding issues with the International Atomic Energy Agency related to the country's civilian nuclear program.
- Jalali: Qadeer Khan's confession a clear-cut victory for Iran IRNA 31 May 2008 -- Member of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Kazem Jalali said here Saturday that recent confessions by Pakistani scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan is regarded as a clear victory for Iranian nation.
- ElBaradei's report indicates Iran-IAEA good cooperation: Elham IRNA 31 May 2008 -- The latest report of the United Nations nuclear watchdog about Iran's peaceful nuclear activities indicated Tehran's good cooperation with the agency, government spokesman, Gholam-Hossein Elham said on Saturday.
- Iran's cooperation with IAEA 'far beyond' NPT obligations IRNA 31 May 2008 -- Iran has not only cleared all outstanding issues with regard to its nuclear programme but also cooperated with the IAEA "far beyond its treaty obligations," according to the Iranian Embassy in Oslo.
- Russia says no reasons to suspect Iran's nuclear aspirations RIA Novosti 31 May 2008 -- Moscow has no reasons to suspect Iran in secret attempts to develop nuclear weapons, Russia's prime minister said in an interview with French daily Le Monde released on Saturday.
- Iran's FM Criticizes 'Mistaken Policies' of US-Led Coalition in Iraq VOA 29 May 2008 -- Iran's foreign minister has blamed the United States and its allies for the grave security situation in Iraq, which he says has "cast a shadow" on the lives of Iraqis.
- Iran Needs to Come Clean on Nuclear Military Plans cfr.org 29 May 2008
- Soltanieh: Iran has left no IAEA questions without answer IRNA 29 May 2008 -- Iran's Envoy in the International Atomic Energy Agency Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said on Thursday that Tehran has not left any question without answer.
- China commends Iran cooperation with IAEA IRNA 29 May 2008 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry Director General for the Department of Arms Control and Disarmament Cheng Jingye on Thursday appreciated Iranian cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency on nuclear program.
- IAEA clears all so-called 'concerns,' says Iran IRNA 29 May 2008 -- Iran has welcomed the clearing all outstanding issues with the International Atomic Energy Agency related to the country's civilian nuclear programme.
- IAEA report confirms peaceful nature of Iran nuclear activities IRNA 29 May 2008 -- The latest report by the International Atomic Energy Agency confirmed the peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear activities in the past and at the present, Iran's mission to the United Nations said in a statement on Wednesday.
- US Says Iran's Nuke Program Could Produce Disaster VOA 28 May 2008 -- US National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley says the world cannot let down future generations by allowing Iran to develop a nuclear bomb, saying such a development would be a disaster for the Middle East and the rest of the planet
- Larijani critical of US meddling with Iran-IAEA cooperation IRNA 28 May 2008 -- Majlis Speaker, Ali Larijani, on Wednesday expressed concern about mysterious US meddling with Iranian interaction with the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- New Iranian Parliament Speaker Threatens to Limit IAEA Cooperation VOA 28 May 2008 -- Iran's new parliamentary speaker says Tehran could reduce its cooperation with the United Nations nuclear agency.
- Soltanieh: Alleged studies not a part of remaining issues IRNA 27 May 2008 -- Iran's IAEA envoy Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said on Tuesday that alleged studies is not among the remaining issues.
- Tehran calls for demolition of all nuclear weapons IRNA 27 May 2008 -- Iran's envoy in the European bureau of the UN in Geneva said full demolition of the nuclear weapons is the only real guarantee for getting rid of the their danger.
- IAEA says Iran has had no diversion in nuclear activities IRNA 27 May 2008 -- Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Muhammad ElBaradei in a report released late Monday said the Agency has been able to continue to verify the non-diversion of declared nuclear material in Iran.
- Iran: U.S. Says IAEA Report Highlights Tehran's Failure To Disclose Nuclear Activities RFE/RL 27 May 2008 -- The United States has reacted sharply to the latest report on Iran's nuclear-related activities from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- Iran denounces new IAEA report on nuclear program RIA Novosti 27 May 2008 -- Iran rejected on Tuesday the UN nuclear watchdog's report on the country's controversial nuclear program, saying concerns over alleged nuclear weapons research are ungrounded.
- UN atomic watchdog chief circulates latest report on Iran UN News Centre 26 May 2008 -- The head of the United Nations atomic watchdog today circulated his latest report regarding Iran's nuclear programme to both the Security Council and the agency's Board of Directors.
- IAEA Expresses 'Serious Concern' About Alleged Iranian Nuclear Studies VOA 26 May 2008 -- The United Nations nuclear agency says it remains seriously concerned about allegations that Iran studied how to make nuclear weapons.
- Iran has given answers to all IAEA questions IRNA 26 May 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini, said on Monday that Tehran has given answers to all questions raised by the International Atomic Energy Agency on the national nuclear program.
- IAEA to deliver new report on Tehran's nuclear program - TV RIA Novosti 26 May 2008 -- Mohamed ElBaradei, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog, will deliver a new report on the controversial Iranian nuclear program on Monday, Iranian television said, citing an informed source.
- Iran-IAEA cooperation, transparent IRNA 25 May 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini said on Sunday that Iran's cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency is clear and transparent.
- Iran vows to continue cooperation with UN nuclear watchdog RIA Novosti 25 May 2008 -- Iran will continue transparent cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) over its controversial nuclear program, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said on Sunday.
- Iran: Israel Should Return Golan Heights to Syria VOA 24 May 2008 -- Iran says Israel should return the disputed Golan Heights to Syria unconditionally.
- Time is not ripe for Iran-US talks, Mottaki IRNA 24 May 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Saturday that the time is not ripe for bilateral talks between Iran and the US.
- Iran says it has China's backing on nuclear proposals RIA Novosti 23 May 2008 -- Iran's Security Council said on Friday it has received China's general approval for a set of proposals on nuclear non-proliferation and other international security issues put forward by Tehran.
- Iran expects IAEA to act within framework of regulations IRNA 21 May 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said here Wednesday that Iran expects the IAEA to act within framework of laws and regulations and free from any discrimination and political motivation.
- Israel proposes naval blockade of Iran RIA Novosti 21 May 2008 -- The Israeli prime minister has proposed that a U.S. naval blockade be imposed on Iran to stop the Islamic Republic from moving ahead with its uranium enrichment program, an Israeli newspaper said on Wednesday.
- Report: Israeli PM Calls for Naval Blockade Against Iran VOA 21 May 2008 -- An Israeli newspaper reports that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert is urging the United States to impose a naval blockade on Iran in an effort to curb its controversial nuclear program.
- Iran supports establishment of peace in Iraq: envoy IRNA 21 May 2008 -- Iranian Ambassador to United Nations Mohammad Khazaei on Tuesday announced Iran's support for the efforts of the Iraqi government and nation aimed at establishment of stability and development in that war-torn state.
- US Committed to Diplomatic Solution to Iranian Nuclear Issue VOA 20 May 2008 -- The Bush administration Tuesday reaffirmed its commitment to a diplomatic resolution of the Iran nuclear issue though also saying it forecloses no options in dealing with the matter
- Iran: New Criticism Of Ahmadinejad Adds To Aura Of Discontent RFE/RL 20 May 2008 -- There is harsh new criticism circulating in Iran about President Mahmud Ahmadinejad's economic policies.
- Iran Accepts Nuclear Visit by EU Foreign Policy Chief VOA 20 May 2008 -- Iran has agreed to a visit by the European Union's foreign policy chief, who will deliver a proposal for Tehran to stop enriching uranium.
- McCain, Obama Debate Iran Policy VOA 19 May 2008 -- Presidential contenders John McCain and Barack Obama debated the wisdom of dealing directly with Iran Monday.
- Iran's president says foreign interference failing Afghanistan RIA Novosti 19 May 2008 -- During a meeting with the UN envoy to Afghanistan on Monday Iran's president said that foreign interference in Afghanistan would not solve the problems in the country.
- Tehran to consider G5+1 package, announce negotiable issues IRNA 19 May 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad-Ali Hosseini said on Monday that Tehran will consider the Group 5+1 package of incentives and will announce its negotiable axes after its receipt.
- Interview: Tensions Rise As Tehran Expands Regional Influence RFE/RL 18 May 2008 -- Alex Vatanka, a Washington-based expert for Jane's Information Group, talks with RFE/RL correspondent Ron Synovitz about rising tensions between Iran and the United States and its allies
- Iran's N-Package submitted to Chinese FM officials - envoy IRNA 16 May 2008 -- Iran's proposed package to the so-called Group of G+1 has been offered to Chinese Foreign Ministry officials.
- Official confirms presentation of N-package to China, Russia IRNA 16 May 2008 -- Iran's proposed package has been extended to Russia and China and the two countries have announced that they would closely investigate and announce their view on it, said an Iranian official here on Friday.
- Tehran hands proposals to Russia, China on nuclear security RIA Novosti 16 May 2008 -- Iran said on Friday it has submitted to the Russian and Chinese Foreign Ministries a package of proposals on nuclear non-proliferation and other international security issues.
- More Pressure Needed to Curtail Iran's Destabilizing Activities AFPS 15 May 2008 -- A preview offered to Iran of details in a yet-to-be-released Multinational Force Iraq report about its meddling in Iraq appears to have had no effect, Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said today. However, that may change when the report goes public, he added.
- US Defense Secretary Calls for More Leverage on Iran Before Talks VOA 15 May 2008 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the United States should develop some leverage on Iran and then hold talks with the regime that the U.S. government says supports global terrorism and sponsors insurgents in Iraq who are killing American troops
- Israel weaker than dare attack Iran: Defense minister IRNA 15 May 2008 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of Armed Forces Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar said Thursday that Israel is weaker and more fragile than dare to attack the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- 5+1 considering Iran's package of proposals, says UK IRNA 15 May 2008 -- The British Foreign Office Thursday confirmed that it had been sent a new package of proposals from Iran aimed at breaking the diplomatic deadlock over the country's nuclear programme.
- Iran: Ahmadinejad Says Israel Is 'Dying' RFE/RL 15 May 2008 -- As Israel marks the 60th anniversary of its creation, Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad says the Jewish state is "dying" and that the celebrations are a failed attempt to prevent its "annihilation."
- Bush Says US, Israel United Against Iran's Nuclear Ambitions VOA 15 May 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush says the United States and Israel are determined to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons
- Bush Says Iran Behind Lebanese Fighting VOA 14 May 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush says Iran is trying to bring down the democratically-elected government in Lebanon
- White House: No Security Guarantees for Iran in Nuclear Talks VOA 14 May 2008 -- The White House says security guarantees are not being considered in talks with Iran regarding its disputed nuclear program.
- 3rd round of Iran-IAEA nuclear talks goes on in Tehran IRNA 14 May 2008 -- The third day of talks between Iranian officials and members of a technical delegation from the International Atomic Energy Agency continues in Tehran on Wednesday.
- Iran: Tehran, Riyadh Face Off Over Lebanon RFE/RL 14 May 2008 -- Saudi Arabia has charged Iran with seeking a coup in Beirut, and Tehran is sharply rejecting the charges
- Russia urges Iran Six to grant security guarantees for Tehran RIA Novosti 14 May 2008 -- Russia's foreign minister said on Wednesday the Iran Six group of negotiators on Tehran's nuclear problem should provide Iran with security guarantees to persuade the country to freeze uranium enrichment.
- Saudi Arabia Blames Iran for Lebanon Violence VOA 13 May 2008 -- Saudi Arabia has blamed Iran for what it calls the recent coup attempt in Lebanon and has called on all regional states not to interfere in Lebanon's political affairs.
- 3rd round of Iran-IAEA nuclear talks continues in Tehran IRNA 13 May 2008 -- Iranian officials and a technical delegation from the International Atomic Energy Agency started their second day of the third round of negotiations at Iran's Atomic Energy Organization in Tehran.
- Middle East: Are Iran, Syria Playing Any Roles In Lebanon Fighting? RFE/RL 12 May 2008 -- The resurgence of violence in Lebanon has again raised the question of the motives and aims of Iran and Syria, which support Hizballah, one of the groups involved in the fighting
- 3rd round of Iran-IAEA nuclear talks begins in Tehran IRNA 12 May 2008 -- Iranian officials and a technical delegation from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) started their third round of negotiations at Iran's Atomic Energy Organization (IAEO) in Tehran on Monday.
- Iran, major victim of weapons of mass destruction: envoy IRNA 10 May 2008 -- Iran's Ambassador to Paris said on Friday that the Iranian nation has been a major victim of weapons of mass destruction in the contemporary era.
- Lebanon: Increasing Violence Raising U.S. Concerns Over Iran RFE/RL 09 May 2008 -- Several times this year, the United States has sought to rally its allies in the Arab world against what it calls Iran's continued meddling in the region.
- Ill intentions of certain countries revealed at NPT Conference -Soltaniyeh IRNA 09 May 2008 -- Iran's Ambassador at IAEA said on last day of preliminary session of Conference to Revise the NPT recent anti-Iran communique issued at this session should be appreciated as it revealed the fact that US, Britain and France have no well intentions, or political will to solve problems peacefully.
- Iran to offer new deal to break nuclear deadlock IRNA 09 May 2008 -- Iran is to present the international community with a new package of proposals aimed at breaking the diplomatic deadlock over the country's nuclear program, Iranian ambassador to London Rasoul Movahedian has revealed.
- Analysis: A War of Words with Iran cfr.org 07 May 2008 -- Accusations regularly fly between Washington and Tehran about their involvement in Iraq, but the past few weeks have seen these charges take a more specific turn
- Soltanieh: IAEA never used 'non-compliance' in Iran's case IRNA 08 May 2008 -- Iran's IAEA envoy Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said Wednesday that the IAEA has never used the 'non-compliance' in reference to Iran's case.
- Russia joins new UN sanctions against Iran RIA Novosit 08 May 2008 -- One of Vladimir Putin's last actions as head of state was to sign a decree implementing a UN Security Council resolution imposing new sanctions against Iran.
- Iraqi Foreign Minister Stresses Importance of US-Iran Security Talks VOA 07 May 2008 -- Iraq's foreign minister has urged Iran and the United States to resume talks on seeking a solution to Iraq's security problems.
- Afghanistan: Two Iranian Men Detained On Suspicions Of Spying RFE/RL 07 May 2008 -- Two Iranian men have been detained in Afghanistan in separate incidents on suspicion of spying near NATO and Afghan military installations.
- US Accuses Iran of Interfering in Afghanistan VOA 06 May 2008 -- A senior U.S. official says Iran is interfering in Afghanistan's politics and lending support to the Taliban insurgency
- Iran: Talks With US on Security in Iraq Useless VOA 05 May 2008 -- Iran says it will not hold a fourth round of talks with the U.S. on security in Iraq, as long as U.S. forces continue what it called "open bombings" in Iraq.
- Iran sees talks with US on Iraq useless IRNA 05 May 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman, Mohammad-Ali Hosseini said on Monday that next round of talks with the United States on Iraq would not be effective when bloodshed is going on five years after occupation.
- Iran reaffirms commitment to Iraqi security IRNA 05 May 2008 -- Iran would spare no effort to help government of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki to restore security to the war-ravage country.
- Iraq: Government To Compile Evidence Of Alleged Iranian 'Interference' RFE/RL 05 May 2008 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has ordered the formation of a committee to compile evidence of what has been described as Iranian "interference" in Iraq.
- Soltanieh: Non-nuclear states should not be blamed for ongoing concerns IRNA 05 May 2008 -- Iran's IAEA envoy Ali-Asghar Soltanieh on Monday warned against efforts to blame non-nuclear states for ongoing proliferation concerns.
- Iran: Tehran Set To Reject Nuclear Incentives Offer By World Powers RFE/RL 05 May 2008 -- Iran looks set to reject a new offer by the international community to give up some nuclear activities in exchange for unspecified incentives.
- Iran Again Rules Out Halting Nuclear Enrichment VOA 05 May 2008 -- Iran has again ruled out halting its disputed nuclear activities, saying it will reject any incentives offered by world powers that violate the Islamic Republic's right to nuclear enrichment.
- Big powers to offer sweeteners to Iran IRNA 04 May 2008 -- The world's major powers agreed in London on Friday to offer Iran new incentives to freeze its nuclear program.
- Iran says it will resist Western pressure over its nuclear program RIA Novosti 04 May 2008 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei reiterated on Sunday that the Islamic Republic would push ahead with its nuclear program despite pressure from the West.
- Mottaki warns European states not to cross Iran's red lines IRNA 03 May 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki here on Saturday warned European countries not to cross Iran's red lines.
- Russian equipment for Bushehr NPP in Iran - Tehran RIA Novosti 03 May 2008 -- The Russian equipment for the Bushehr nuclear power plant earlier held up on the Azerbaijani-Iranian border has been finally delivered to Iran, a spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
- Iran warns against violation of its right to civilian nuclear energy RIA Novosti 03 May 2008 -- Iran's foreign minister called on Saturday on the six countries mediating in the Iranian nuclear problem issue to avoid violating Tehran's right to civilian nuclear energy.
- Russia: 6 Powers Want Iran to Halt Nuclear Work 'Only' During Talks VOA 03 May 2008 -- Russia says six world powers concerned about Iran's nuclear program want Tehran to suspend uranium enrichment while negotiations are under way.
- US Defense Chief Welcomes Iraqi Delegation's Trip to Iran VOA 01 May 2008 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has welcomed Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's decision to send a delegation to Iran to confront leaders there with evidence of support by some Iranian elements for insurgents inside Iraq.
- Generals Describe U.S. Carrier Activity in Persian Gulf as 'Routine' AFPS 01 May 2008 -- The presence of two U.S. Navy aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf, interpreted by some as an indication of an imminent attack on Iran, is just a routine rotation, two senior military officers told Pentagon reporters here yesterday.
- Major cleric dismisses claims of Iran's backing terrorism IRNA 02 May 2008 -- Substitute Friday prayers leader of Tehran Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami here Friday dismissed claims that Iran sponsors terrorism.
- Supreme Leader: Armed forces are stronghold of nation's security IRNA 02 May 2008 -- Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei here Thursday called armed forces "the stronghold of nation's peace and security".
- Azerbaijan allows Russian equipment for Bushehr NPP into Iran RIA Novosti 01 May 2008 -- Azerbaijan has allowed the Russian equipment for the Bushehr nuclear power plant, held up for over a month on the Azerbaijan-Iran border, into Iran, the Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Tehran complains to UN about Clinton's 'obliterate Iran' remarks RIA Novosti 01 May 2008 -- Iran has sent a letter of complaint to the UN over comments made last week by Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton that the U.S. would be able to 'totally obliterate" the Islamic Republic if it were to ever launch a nuclear strike on Israel.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list