Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2011 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 30 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Iraq Gets Funds For Giant Port Project RFE/RL 30 Sep 2011 -- The Iraqi Transport Ministry announced it has received 95 million euros in state money for constructing the delayed Al-Faw al-Kabir port project in southern Iraq.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 29 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- DOD News Briefing with Maj. Gen. Perkins via Teleconference from Iraq DoD 29 Sep 2011
- Much Improved Iraq Enjoys Liberty, U.S. Commander Says AFPS 29 Sep 2011 -- American forces’ efforts in Iraq “have given the people of Iraq a huge gift” through the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of a democratic society.
- Suicide Bomber Kills Two, Wounds Scores In Northern Iraq RFE/RL 29 Sep 2011 -- Iraqi police say a suicide bomber detonated his explosives-laden truck near a bank in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk.
- 1st Cav. Soldiers discover unexploded Iraqi ordnance Army News 29 Sep 2011 -- 1st Lt. Christopher Morrow of the 1st Cavalry Division, spotted unattended ordnance by the edge of the road outside of Al Kut.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 28 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Iraq Makes First Payment for 18 F-16 Fighters AFPS 28 Sep 2011 -- The Iraqi government has transferred its first payment for 18 F-16C fighter aircraft, bringing Iraq closer to independently securing its airspace.
- Laughlin sergeant creates formula, increases dust storm prediction accuracy AFNS 28 Sep 2011 -- The saying "leave it better than when you found it" is constantly used in the military with all the moving and relocating that is done.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 27 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- T-6 advisory mission ceases, Iraqi pilots teach their own AFNS 27 Sep 2011 -- Airmen from the 52nd EFTS have been working with the Iraqi air force for the last 21 months in the T-6.
- 160th Signal Brigade Soldiers Support Tactical Operations Center Construction in Kuwait Army News 27 Sep 2011 -- The December 31st deadline for the drawdown of American military personnel from Iraq has led to a surge in activities for 160th Signal Brigade Soldiers.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 26 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- AFN-Iraq ‘Freedom Radio’ Goes Off Air AFPS 26 Sep 2011 -- American Forces Network Radio–Iraq “Freedom Radio” went off the air at midnight Sept. 23, after an eight-year run in Baghdad.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 23 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi Official Says Talks On U.S.-Forces Extension Stalled RFE/RL 23 Sep 2011 -- An Iraqi official says talks between the Iraqi government and U.S. officials on whether some U.S. forces might remain in Iraq beyond December have stalled.
- Air traffic controllers prepare to pass torch to Iraqis AFNS 23 Sep 2011 -- As Operation New Dawn continues to progress, air traffic controllers here are working side-by-side with civilian controllers and Iraqi airmen to transition the airspace back to Iraqi officials.
- President: Iraq becoming a peaceful democratic State UN News Centre 23 Sep 2011 -- Iraq is striving to build a democratic State anchored in peace and the rule of law, the country’s President, Jalal Talabani, told the General Assembly.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 22 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Panetta Cites Progress, Challenges in Iraq, Afghanistan AFPS 22 Sep 2011 -- The US and Iraq are in talks to chart military assistance Iraq needs after the pull-out of U.S. troops at the end of the year, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- Mullen Addresses Progress in Iraq, Afghanistan AFPS 22 Sep 2011 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said conditions in Afghanistan are steadily improving, and that American troops should remain in Iraq to help train the military there.
- Obama: Tide of War Receding at ‘Crossroads of History’ AFPS 21 Sep 2011 -- “The tide of war is receding” as the United States draws down forces in both Iraq and Afghanistan, poised to end both conflicts from a position of strength.
- Ali Base Airmen help U.S. forces transit Iraq AFNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Aerial porters and Airmen from the 407th Air Expeditionary Group's passenger terminal at Ali Base are preparing for an increase in passengers and cargo.
- Iraq To Open Center To Identify Hussein-Era Remains RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- Iraq's Human Rights Ministry has decided to create a center tasked with identifying bodies found in Saddam Hussein-era mass graves.
- Iraqi Foreign Minister Sees Country on 'Right Path' VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Speaking to the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, Iraq’s foreign minister says his country is headed in the right direction.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 20 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Fact Sheet: Advancing U.S. Interests at the United Nations The White House 20 Sep 2011
- Naghdi: 85% of Pjak terrorists are non-Iranian IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Commander of the Basij Brigadier-General Mohammad Reza Naghdi said on Tuesday 85 percent of Pjak terrorists are non-Iranian.
- Iran guard evacuates main PJAK northwestern base ISNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Ground Force evacuated the main base of PJAK terrorist group in northwestern Iran.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 19 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- EODGRU 1 Completes Eight-Month JTF Troy Mission in Baghdad NNS 19 Sep 2011 -- Sailors assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group 1 returned to Naval Air Station, North Island, Calif., Sept. 18.
- Engineers on Track as Iraq Deadline Nears AFPS 16 Sep 2011 -- The U.S. military is on track to withdraw its forces from Iraq by the end of the year, the U.S. military's most senior engineering officer posted there said yesterday.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 15 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- DOD News Briefing with Maj. Gen. Handy from the Pentagon DoD 14 Sep 2011 -- Presenter: Maj. Gen. Russell Handy, Commander, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force Iraq, and Director, Air Component Coordination Element-Iraq
- U.S. paratroopers, Iraqi soldiers begin using new rifle range Army News 14 Sep 2011 -- On the morning of Sept. 10, paratroopers set up a table on a small rise over looking the Anbar Operations Center's new 25-meter firing range in Ramadi, Iraq. They were loading rounds into magazines and stacking them in precise rows, filling the table with ammo.
- Possible F-16 Buy Highlights Iraq's Progress AFPS 14 Sep 2011 -- Iraq's potential purchase of 18 U.S. F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft is an encouraging development that benefits both nations, the senior U.S. Air Force component commander in Iraq told Pentagon reporters today.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 14 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 13 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Third Army prepares for USF-I repositioning Army News 12 Sep 2011 -- As the Dec. 31 deadline nears for the repositioning of U.S. service members in Iraq, Third Army/ARCENT Soldiers stand ready to assist with their transition.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 12 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi Shi'ite Leader Orders No Attacks On U.S. Troops Ahead Of Pullout RFE/RL 11 Sep 2011 -- The radical Iraqi Shi'ite leader Muqtada al-Sadr has ordered his followers to desist from attacking U.S. forces before their scheduled withdrawal from Iraq by the end of this year.
- Iraq's Al-Sadr Orders Followers to Halt Attacks on US Forces VOA 11 Sep 2011 -- Iraq's anti-American Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr has urged his followers to halt attacks on U.S. troops to ensure they leave Iraq by an end-of-year deadline.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 09 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Iraqi Bill To Force President To Sign Death Sentences RFE/RL 09 Sep 2011 -- Member of Iraqi PM al-Maliki's political party: Draft law being prepared that would make it obligatory for the president to sign death sentences.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 08 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- US Continues Troop Drawdown in Iraq Despite Dilemma VOA 08 Sep 2011 -- Washington and Baghdad grapple with the dilemma of whether a smaller training force should remain in the country past a December deadline.
- Iraq's Kurdish Regional Leader Wants U.S. Forces To Stay RFE/RL 08 Sep 2011 -- The president of Iraq's Kurdistan Regional Government says U.S. forces will still be needed in Iraq in 2012.
- Chief of the General Staff responds to Baha Mousa Inquiry Report UK MOD 08 Sep 2011
- Dr Liam Fox responds to High Court endorsement of MOD's approach to investigating Iraq abuse UK MOD 08 Sep 2011
- Army Inspector's report into detainee handling published UK MOD 08 Sep 2011 -- An independent report into detainee handling by the British Army has been published today, Armed Forces Minister Nick Harvey has announced.
- Publication of the Baha Mousa Inquiry Report UK MOD 08 Sep 2011 -- Sir William Gage has today, 8 September 2011, published the report of his independent public inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of Baha Mousa in Iraq in 2003.
- UK soldiers committed gratuitous violence against Iraqis, inquiry finds IRNA 08 Sep 2011 -- British soldiers inflicted an 'appalling episode of serious gratuitous violence' on Iraqi civilians, inquiry into 2003 death found.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 07 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- US Defense Chief: No Decision Yet On Iraq RFE/RL 07 Sep 2011 -- John McCain, Joe Lieberman, and Lindsey Graham: 3,000 U.S. trainers "dramatically lower" than what U.S. military leaders have said is needed.
- 'Lifeline' battalion prepares to transition three sustainment hubs in Iraq Army News 07 Sep 2011 -- Elements of A/299th Brigade Support Battalion are preparing to transition responsibility of the Victory Base Complex, Fuel Farm, Supply Support Activity, and Ammunition Supply Point.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 06 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- US Casualties in Iraq Drop, But Iraqis Concerned About Withdrawal VOA 06 Sep 2011 -- U.S. forces are on track to pull out of Iraq at the end of the year.
- Airmen reopen base to support Iraq transition AFNS 06 Sep 2011 -- As U.S. Forces-Iraq members continue to return from Iraq, Airmen here have recently reopened an air base that was closed in 2004.
- Eight Iraqi Soldiers Reported Killed In Ambush RFE/RL 06 Sep 2011 -- Reports say gunmen killed eight Iraqi soldiers when they ambushed an army patrol in northern Iraq and then set the soldiers' vehicle on fire.
- Iraqi Army receives last shipment of Abrams tanks Army News 06 Sep 2011 -- The final shipment of M1A1 Abrams tanks, purchased by the Iraqi government, arrived at Besmaya Combat Training Center mid-August.
- IRGC calls for clarification of PJAK unilateral truce offer IRNA 06 Sep 2011 -- Islamic Revolution Guards Corps ground forces in a statement called on Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government to clarify the unilateral truce offer by PJAK.
- Terms of PJAK ceasefire must be clarified: IRGC ISNA 06 Sep 2011 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps in a statement called on the Iraqi Kurdish regional government to clarify the terms of the ceasefire presented by the PJAK terrorist group.
- Fires Ravage Baghdad Market Centers RFE/RL 06 Sep 2011 -- Major fires at separate markets in central Baghdad have destroyed many shops and warehouses and caused millions of dollars in damage.
- Fears Of Ethnic Tensions Rise In Iran Amid Azeri Clashes, Kurd Offensive RFE/RL 05 Sep 2011 -- Iran has launched a fierce security clampdown in the country's Azeri and Kurdish regions amid fears of rising ethnic tensions on its northern borders.
- State TV Says Iran Guards Kill 22 Kurd Rebels RFE/RL 05 Sep 2011 -- Elite Revolutionary Guards have killed 22 rebels of the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan (PJAK) in a new offensive along the northwestern border with Iraq.
- Iran starts new round of operations against PJAK ISNA 04 Sep 2011 -- Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps killed and injured 30 members of PJAK terrorist group as it started complete cleaning of northwestern Iranian border from bandits.
- PJAK due to halt its armed activities - Iraqi Kurd official IRNA 03 Sep 2011 -- An Iraqi Kurd official said here Saturday that the terrorist PJAK group is due to officially cease its armed activities as of today.
- 30 agents of PJAK killed or injured in IRGC operation IRNA 03 Sep 2011 -- IRGC forces killed or injured 30 members of PJAK terrorist group in the latest rounds of operations.
- Iran guard resumes strikes against PJAK ISNA 03 Sep 2011 -- Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps resumed operations against PJAK terrorist group after a one-month deadline.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 02 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- U.S. Says Forces Coordinate With Iraq, Turkey On Rebel Attacks RFE/RL 02 Sep 2011 -- A senior US military official says American forces jointly patrol with the Iraqi Army and Kurdistan Regional Government forces in disputed areas and coordinate with Iraq and Turkey about crossborder attacks by Kurdish rebels.
- Iraq Renews Probe Into Deadly US Raid VOA 02 Sep 2011 -- Iraq has renewed an investigation into a U.S. raid in 2006 that resulted in the deaths of at least 10 civilians.
- Human Rights Watch: Turkey, Iran Killing Civilian Kurds VOA 02 Sep 2011 -- Human Rights Watch: Turkey and Iran are not doing enough to protect civilians while carrying out strikes against Kurdish separatists in Iraq.
- Iraq's Main Blocs Urged To Hold Talks To Resolve Problems RFE/RL 02 Sep 2011 -- An Iraqi political party has called on the country's main blocs to meet urgently to discuss Iraq's long-standing political crisis.
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- DOD News Briefing with Col. Winski via Teleconference from Iraq DoD 01 Sep 2011
- Commander Says Iraq Transition on Track AFPS 01 Sep 2011 -- Iraqi security forces in the north are prepared to manage internal security and external defense, a U.S. brigade commander posted in Iraq said.
- August Marks First Fatality-Free Month for US Military in Iraq VOA 01 Sep 2011 -- The U.S. military says no American service members died in Iraq in August, making it the first month without any U.S. troop fatalities in the country since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion.
- U.S. Military Has First Fatality-Free Month In Iraq RFE/RL 01 Sep 2011 -- For the first time since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003, a month passed without a single U.S. military fatality in the country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list