Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2012 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Obama Says Global Markets Can Handle Iran Oil Sanctions RFE/RL 30 Mar 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is moving ahead with sanctions targeting Iran's oil exports in a move that significantly ratchets up pressure on Tehran to abandon its sensitive nuclear activities.
- Obama Slaps New Sanctions on Buyers of Iran Oil VOA 30 Mar 2012 -- President Barack Obama is pushing forward with new sanctions designed to cripple Iran's oil exports. The president said Friday there is enough oil on world markets to allow him to take the step without harming U.S. allies
- 1st VP: Iran welcomes Turkey hosting nuclear talks with G5+1 IRNA 28 Mar 2012 -- First Vice-President Mohammad-Reza Rahimi said on Wednesday that Iran welcomes Turkey hosting the upcoming nuclear talks with the G5+1.
- Erdogan: No force should be used against any country pursuing peaceful nuclear program IRNA 28 Mar 2012 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Teyyip Erdogan says no one has the right to use force against a country whose nuclear activities are peaceful.
- Turkish Prime Minister In Tehran For Talks On Nuclear Dispute, Syria RFE/RL 28 Mar 2012 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has arrived in Tehran for talks on the international deadlock over Iran's nuclear program and the Syrian conflict.
- US Lawmakers Call for 'Hard-Nosed' Approach With Iran VOA 28 Mar 2012 -- Leading U.S. lawmakers are urging the Obama administration to take an even tougher stance with Iran over its nuclear program, questioning whether expanding economic sanctions are making a difference.
- Moslehi: Iran has most powerful intelligence service in region IRNA 27 Mar 2012 -- Intelligence Minister Heidar Moslehi said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic of Iran has the most powerful intelligence service in the region.
- UN lacks clear strategy on Afghanistan: Ahmadinejad IRNA 26 Mar 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday regretted that the United Nations lacks specific and transparent strategy on Afghanistan's affairs.
- Iran deplores NATO intervention in Afghanistan creating crisis IRNA 26 Mar 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday deplored NATO intervention in Afghanistan as the root-cause of the current humanitarian crisis in the country.
- Obama: Time Running Out On Iranian Nuclear Crisis RFE/RL 26 Mar 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has urged Iran to act with "urgency" to resolve the dispute over Tehran's controversial nuclear program with the U.S. leader warning time is running out.
- Rosatom prioritized safety standards in Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant IRNA 23 Mar 2012 -- Director General of Rosato: First priority in all phases of construction of Bushehr NPP was meeting safety standards.
- Sanctions do not affect Iran-India trade transactions: Indian FM IRNA 23 Mar 2012 -- Indian Minister of External Affairs SM Krishna said that New Delhi is holding talks with Iran on a guarantee for uninterrupted export of Iran's crude oil to India.
- EU Ministers Impose New Sanctions On Belarus, Iran, Syria RFE/RL 23 Mar 2012 -- European Union foreign ministers have imposed new sanctions targeting the Iranian, Belarusian, and Syrian regimes.
- EU Expands Iran Sanctions RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2012 -- The foreign ministers of the 27-member European Union on Friday approved broadened sanctions against Iran.
- China Telecom Backs Off After Iran Tech Sale Revealed RFE/RL 23 Mar 2012 -- China's second-largest telecommunications equipment company has said it will "restrict...business development" in Iran following reports it had sold sophisticated monitoring technology to Tehran.
- Two Detained In Turkey For Attack On Iranian Embassy RFE/RL 23 Mar 2012 -- Turkish media reports say police have detained two men of Iranian background after a firebomb attack on the Iranian Embassy in the capital Ankara.
- Rosatom Says Construction Of Iran Nuclear Plant On Schedule RFE/RL 22 Mar 2012 -- Head of Russia's state nuclear company Rosatom: Construction of the Bushehr nuclear power plant in Iran isto schedule.
- Iran will send monkey into space in early 2012 IRNA 22 Mar 2012 -- Head of Iranian Space Agency, Hamid Fazeli: Iranian shuttle, Kavoshgar-5 (Explorer-5) carrying monkey to space will be launched into space during March-August 2012.
- US Wants Iraq to Block Iran Weapons Sales to Syria VOA 22 Mar 2012 -- The United States wants Iraq to stop Iran from using Iraqi airspace to ship weapons to Syria.
- US Lawmaker: Iran May Have Hezbollah Operatives in US VOA 21 Mar 2012 -- The Republican chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, Peter King, said the Iranian-backed militant group Hezbollah may have hundreds of operatives based in the United States.
- Iran: UN sanctions committee presents reported ‘violations’ UN News Centre 21 Mar 2012 -- The head of the Security Council committee monitoring the arms embargo imposed on Iran over its nuclear programme said new cases of sanctions violation have been brought to its attention.
- Japan Promises Cuts In Iranian Oil Imports RFE/RL 21 Mar 2012 -- Japan promised it would "substantially" cut oil imports from Iran, a day after the United States announced a decision to exempt Japan from new sanctions.
- U.S. Deports Iranian Convicted Of Arms Smuggling RFE/RL 21 Mar 2012 -- An Iranian national who pleaded guilty in 2009 to plotting to ship sensitive U.S. military technology to Iran has been deported back to his home country.
- Secretary Clinton Statement on Significant Reductions of Iranian Crude Oil Purchases US Dept. of State 20 Mar 2012
- Russia Warns Iran Could Produce Nuclear Weapons If Attacked RFE/RL 20 Mar 2012 -- Russia's foreign minister says there is no evidence Tehran has made the "political decision" to produce nuclear weapons.
- Aggression Towards Iran Damages Non-Proliferation RIA Novosti 20 Mar 2012 -- An aggressive stance against Iran only threatens nuclear non-proliferation instead of supporting it.
- Leader Says Iran Will Hit Back At Any Attack by U.S., Israel RFE/RL 20 Mar 2012 -- Iran's supreme leader has warned that his country will hit back at any attack by the United States or Israel.
- Iran will respond to any attack with equal measure: Leader IRNA 20 Mar 2012 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said Iran does not have atomic bomb and won't make it.
- Remarks of President Obama Marking Nowruz The White House 20 Mar 2012
- Obama Calls for Understanding Between Iranians, Americans AFPS 20 Mar 2012 -- As Iran and other nations celebrate Nowruz - the Persian New Year - President Barack Obama called for understanding between Americans and Iranians.
- Obama Nowruz Message Calls For Lifting of Iran's 'Electronic Curtain' VOA 20 Mar 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has used a message marking the Persian New Year, Nowruz, to call for the lifting of what he called the "electronic curtain" around Iran.
- U.S. Moves To Lift 'Electronic Curtain' Dividing U.S., Iranian People RFE/RL 20 Mar 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says the United States "seeks a dialogue" with the Iranian people and called on Tehran to stop blocking its citizens' access to information.
- Nine Iranians Injured In Grenade Attack In Yerevan RFE/RL 20 Mar 2012 -- Officials in Armenia's capital, Yerevan, say 10 people - including nine Iranian nationals and an Armenian - were injured in a grenade explosion at a nightclub.
- Chinese company defying West's unilateral sanctions on Iran IRNA 19 Mar 2012 -- Managing Director of the Chinese Shipping Development Company Yan Zhichong: Company would continue importing oil from Iran.
- Secretary Clinton Nowruz Message US Dept. of State 19 Mar 2012
- U.S., Israel Send Norouz Greetings To Iranian People RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is marking the start of the Persian New Year this week.
- Iran welcomes Indian call for cooperation on anti-terror campaign IRNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Sunday welcomed Indian Foreign Minister's call for cooperation on campaign against terrorism.
- Iran to boost its air defense capabilities: Commander IRNA 18 Mar 2012 -- Deputy head of Khatam-ul-Anbia Air Defense Headquarters for Intelligence Brigadier general Ameri said that the Islamic Republic of Iran will increase its air defense capabilities proportion to the enemy's capabilities.
- India Pursuing Fourth Iranian in Delhi Bombing VOA 17 Mar 2012 -- Indian authorities are going after a fourth Iranian in connection with a plot to attack Israeli diplomats.
- Iran Could Make Gross Misjudgment, Chairman Says AFPS 17 Mar 2012 -- Iranian leaders could make a gross misjudgment of American will and suffer the consequences, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said last night.
- Evidence Shows Tehran Connection in New Delhi, Bangkok Bombings VOA 16 Mar 2012 -- India is seeking international arrest warrants for three Iranians suspected of being part of a plot to attack Israeli diplomats.
- Iran starts humanitarian aid to Syria via air IRNA 15 Mar 2012 -- Iran supports Syrian nation's resistance toward western-motivated unrests and Tehran started sending its humanitarian aid to Damascus via air, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian , Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs said on Wednesday.
- IEA Says Iran Oil Exports Could Fall 50 Percent RFE/RL 15 Mar 2012 -- The International Energy Agency (IEA) claims that Iranian oil exports could fall by as much as 50 percent in July, when European sanctions over that country's nuclear program take full effect.
- Window Closing for Iran to Act, Obama, Cameron Say AFPS 14 Mar 2012 -- Sanctions and diplomatic pressure against Iran are working and need more time, but the window for Iran to act is closing, British and American leaders said here today.
- Jalili in letter to Ashton calls for setting venue, time of talks IRNA 14 Mar 2012 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said in a letter forwarded to EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton on Wednesday that Iran welcomes political will of Group 5+1 to return to negotiating table.
- Supreme Leader appoints new EC members IRNA 14 Mar 2012 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei in a decree on Wednesday appointed the new members of the EC for the next five years.
- Iran's Parliament Grills Ahmadinejad RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad appeared before his nation's parliament on Wednesday for an unprecedented inquiry into his economic and political management, the country's state news agency IRNA said.
- April Talks Last Chance for Iran to Avoid U.S. Attack - Hillary Clinton RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2012 -- The United States has warned that the six-nation negotiations on Iran's nuclear program in April would be the last chance for Tehran to prevent a U.S. attack, the Kommersant daily said on Wednesday.
- Iran's Ahmadinejad Defends Record in Parliament Query VOA 14 Mar 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has defended his record in office during an interrogation by lawmakers who accuse him of economic mismanagement and defying Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
- Azerbaijan Arrests 22 For Allegedly Plotting U.S., Israeli Attacks RFE/RL 14 Mar 2012 -- Azerbaijan’s Ministry of National Security has announced the arrests of 22 people on suspicion of plotting attacks on the U.S. and Israeli embassies in Baku.
- Azerbaijan Detains 22 'Iran Spies' RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2012 -- Azerbaijan's National Security Ministry has detained 22 people accused of spying for Iran and other crimes, the ministry said on Wednesday.
- Politics Plays Into Iran Nuclear Issue VOA 13 Mar 2012 -- Iran's suspected desire to become a nuclear weapons power is affecting not only diplomatic maneuvering, but also internal political debate in several countries. All three of the main protagonists in the nuclear debate have either just had elections or can be expected to hold ones in the near future.
- Russia Says Won't Supply S-300 Missiles To Iran, But Will Supply Syria RFE/RL 13 Mar 2012 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has met with Kyrgyzstan's leaders to stress that the United States considers the continued use of a military base in the country as crucial to U.S. efforts in Afghanistan.
- Iran: UN human rights expert stresses concern over continuing abuses UN News Centre 12 Mar 2012 -- The independent United Nations expert on human rights in Iran today reiterated his concern over continuing violations in the country, including the suppression of civil liberties, arbitrary arrests and detentions, lack of due process, and a significant increase in the number of executions.
- Aerbaijan lets no country use its territory against Iran IRNA 12 Mar 2012 -- Azerbaijan Defense Minister Brigadier General Safar Abiyev said on Monday his country will under no condition let any country use its soil against Iran.
- Iran ready to help Zimbabwe strengthen defense power: minister IRNA 11 Mar 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi here on Sunday voiced Iran's readiness to help Zimbabwe promote its defense strength.
- Iran Scoffs at 'Western Options' RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Sunday rejected Western threats against his country, as well as Washington's statement that 'all options are on the table' to deal with Iran, the state run Press TV reported.
- US diplomacy failed vis-a-vis Iran: Soltanieh IRNA 09 Mar 2012 -- Islamic Republic of Iran's Ambassador to International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Ali Asghar Soltanieh said the IAEA's board of governors meeting on Thursday witnessed the defeat of US' diplomacy vis-a-vis Iran's diplomacy.
- U.S. May Attack Iran with New 'Great Weapon' - Pentagon Official RIA Novosti 09 Mar 2012 -- The United States may use a new 13,600-kilogram bunker-buster bomb against Iran, DefenseNews.com reported on Thursday quoting U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Herbert Carlisle as saying.
- Netanyahu: No Israeli Strike on Iran in 'Days or Weeks' VOA 09 Mar 2012 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he will give international sanctions against Iran a chance to work, and is not planning an attack on its nuclear facilities in the coming 'days or weeks.'
- White House Denies Report of Deal With Israel Over Iran VOA 08 Mar 2012 -- The White House said Thursday that President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in their meetings this week, did not discuss Israel's reported request for advanced U.S. military equipment that could be used against Iran.
- Iran decries French FM's 'interference in internal affairs IRNA 08 Mar 2012 -- IRI Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Wednesday rejected as 'baseless and interference in Iran's internal affairs' French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe's remarks on Iran in interview with Tele France TV.
- Iranians show trust in Islamic system in March 2 elections: S Leader IRNA 08 Mar 2012 -- Iranians have overwhelmingly demonstrated their trust in the Islamic system through their massive turnout in the March 2 parliamentary elections, Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Thursday.
- P5+1 Urges Iran Toward Nuclear Talks VOA 08 Mar 2012 -- A group of six world powers has called on Iran to enter talks on its controversial nuclear program without preconditions.
- Iran Will Be Biggest Loser When Assad Falls, Panetta Says AFPS 07 Mar 2012 -- Iran will be the biggest loser when Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime falls, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta told the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- West to gain nothing if continues previous approach, Larijani IRNA 07 Mar 2012 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said Wednesday the fresh talks between Iran and 5+1 will not be fruitful if they try to get concessions by exerting pressures on Tehran.
- Jalili: US has many weak points depite its power show-off IRNA 07 Mar 2012 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili on Wednesday said he US has many weak points despite its power show-off.
- Obama Slams Iran War Rhetoric RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has called on his Republican rivals to end 'casual' talk on the possible war with Iran, the U.S. media said on Wednesday.
- Press Conference by President Obama, March 06, 2012 The White House 06 Mar 2012
- Obama Discusses Situations in Iran, Syria, Afghanistan AFPS 06 Mar 2012 -- President Barack Obama took questions from reporters at a press conference this afternoon on his administration’s policies and intentions on situations in Iran, Syria and Afghanistan.
- US Defense Chief Calls Iran Military Option Last Resort VOA 06 Mar 2012 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to Israel's security, saying U.S. forces will act against Iran but only when all else fails. Panetta spoke to the top pro-Israel lobby group, AIPAC.
- U.S. Will Act to Prevent Iran from Developing Nuclear Weapons, Panetta Says AFPS 06 Mar 2012 -- Iran is America’s greatest concern in the Middle East, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta told the American Israel Public Affairs Committee today.
- Mattis Defends Afghan Strategy, Warns of Iran, Al-Qaida Threats AFPS 06 Mar 2012 -- The commander of U.S. Central Command staunchly defended the U.S. strategy in Afghanistan before Congress today, saying that, despite recent violence over the Quran-burning incident, he believes it is bearing fruit.
- World Powers Offer to Resume Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 06 Mar 2012 -- Six world powers have offered to resume long-stalled talks with Iran to address Western suspicions of a military dimension to the Iranian nuclear program.
- IRI scientists should not be deprived of IAEA safety meetings: envoy IRNA 06 Mar 2012 -- Iranian nuclear scientists should not be deprived of IAEA nuclear safety science and IAEA related meetings under the pretext of political resolutions of UN Security Council, Iran's Ambassador to UN atomic watchdog Ali Asghar Soltanieh said on Monday.
- Iranian official: Sanctions will not change fundamental positions ISNA 06 Mar 2012 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Asghar Khaji said sanctions would not change Iranian nation's fundamental positions.
- Iran Offers To Resume Nuclear Talks, Allow Inspectors Into Military Site RFE/RL 06 Mar 2012 -- The five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany have agreed to a proposal from Iran to resume talks on Tehran's nuclear program.
- Russia Seeks Compromise on Iran Sanctions RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2012 -- Russia will push for talks to scrap unilateral sanctions against Iran if it allows the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to control Iranian nuclear activity, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said on Tuesday.
- US Republican Presidential Candidates Promise Hard Line on Iran VOA 06 Mar 2012 -- Republican presidential candidates are lashing out at Iran, promising a pro-Israel group they will not hesitate to use America's military might against Tehran.
- Netanyahu Says All Options Available to Prevent a Nuclear Iran VOA 06 Mar 2012 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his country cannot afford to wait much longer for diplomacy and sanctions to deter Iran's nuclear program.
- Secretary Clinton Statement on Fifth Anniversary of Robert Levinson's Disappearance US Dept. of State 06 Mar 2012
- FBI Offers $1 Million in Ex-Agent's Iran Disappearance VOA 06 Mar 2012 -- The United States is offering a rare $1 million reward for information leading to the safe return of a former Federal Bureau of Investigation agent who vanished in Iran five years ago and is believed to be held hostage in the area.
- UN atomic watchdog reiterates concern over Iran's nuclear programme UN News Centre 05 Mar 2012 -- The head of the United Nations atomic watchdog today highlighted ongoing serious concerns about a possible military dimension to Iran's nuclear programme, adding that the country has tripled its monthly production of enriched uranium.
- IAEA Mulls Solutions to Iran Nuclear Impasse VOA 05 Mar 2012 -- The head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog says Iran's nuclear program and its possible military dimensions remain a serious concern. International Atomic Energy Agency chief Yukiya Amano's remarks come as U.S. and Israeli leaders meet on Iran in Washington.
- Obama: Window Remains for Peaceful Solution to Iran Nuclear Issue VOA 05 Mar 2012 -- President Barack Obama says he believes there is still time to achieve a peaceful solution to the Iran nuclear issue, but that Iran's leaders need to make a decision to forsake pursuit of nuclear weapons. Mr. Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu discussed Iran, troubled Israel-Palestinian peace efforts, and the Arab Spring during a meeting at the White House.
- Iran annuals CIA spy death sentence ISNA 05 Mar 2012 -- Iranian Supreme Court annulled Amir Mirza Hekmati's death sentence.
- Spokesman: Hague's claim on Iran's elections 'unfounded' IRNA 04 Mar 2012 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman called British Foreign Secretary William Hague's claim concerning parliamentary elections in Iran 'interfering and unfounded'.
- Ahmadinejad's Supporters Defeated in Parliamentary Election VOA 04 Mar 2012 -- Iranian conservative critics of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad have defeated his supporters in most of the parliamentary seats whose winners have been declared in the country's parliamentary election.
- Obama: Diplomacy Top Option on Iran VOA 04 Mar 2012 -- President Barack Obama says the United States will use every element of its power, including military force if necessary, to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. Mr. Obama addressed the largest pro-Israel group in the United States on Sunday on the eve of his meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- Netanyahu-Obama Summit to Focus on Iran VOA 04 Mar 2012 -- The leaders of Israel and the United States will hold a crucial summit on Monday in Washington to discuss growing tensions over Iran's nuclear program.
- Consultations on date, venue of talks with P5+1 continue, says Iran ISNA 03 Mar 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said talks on date and venue of negotiations with the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany still continue.
- Early Iran Returns Show President's Conservative Foes Ahead RFE/RL 03 Mar 2012 -- Early returns from Iran's parliamentary election showed conservative opponents of President Mahmud Ahmadinejad out in front.
- Ahmadinejad Rivals Lead in Parliamentary Vote VOA 03 Mar 2012 -- Partial results Saturday from Iran's parliamentary elections show that conservative rivals of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad appear on course to gain firm control of the 290-seat parliament, after winning in several constituencies across the country.
- Obama, Netanyahu to Hold Critical Talks on Iran Options VOA 02 Mar 2012 -- President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meet at the White House on Monday to discuss Iran.
- Israeli PM Refuses To Draw 'Red Lines' On Iran Nuclear Program RFE/RL 02 Mar 2012 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his country will not draw any "red lines" for action regarding Iran's disputed nuclear program.
- Russian Bank Blocks Iranian Accounts RFE/RL 02 Mar 2012 -- Iran’s ambassador to Moscow has complained that a Russian state-controlled bank has shut down the accounts of Iranian Embassy personnel.
- Russia to Try its Best to Ward Off War in Iran – Putin RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2012 -- Russia will do its best to prevent a war in Iran, prime minister and presidential candidate Vladimir Putin has said.
- Due to 'Massive Turnout', Iran Voting Extended VOA 02 Mar 2012 -- Iranian state media claim a "massive turnout" for the country's parliamentary elections, which are likely to solidify Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei's control over conservative rivals tied to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Iranians Go To Polls In National Elections RFE/RL 02 Mar 2012 -- State media have reported that voting in Iran's parliamentary election has been extended by one more hour because of high turnout.
- Iranians Vote in Parliamentary Elections VOA 02 Mar 2012 -- Iranians across the country are choosing a new parliament, in a vote seen as a test between conservatives who support and others who oppose President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Iranians Vote in General Elections RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2012 -- Iranians are going to the polls on Friday to elect 290 members of the country's parliament, the Majlis.
- IRGC Navy Commander: Iran at helm of events in Persian Gulf IRNA 01 Mar 2012 -- Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi: “Under current conditions if the Americans would be intending to shoot, their economic field and military forces would suffer dearly.”
- Pakistan Says It Will Pursue Gas Project With Iran, Despite U.S. Warning RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Pakistan's foreign minister says her country will pursue a gas pipeline project with Iran despite a U.S. warning.
- Explainer: Iran's Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Look at the key issues that are expected to dominate proceedings as well as the personalities who should feature prominently in the upcoming poll.
- Iran Elections Pose Challenge Amid Economic Crisis VOA 01 Mar 2012 -- In an election with millions of voters and hundreds of candidates, the two most important figures in Iran's parliamentary ballot aren't running for office.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Says Election Will Be 'Slap In The Face' For West RFE/RL 01 Mar 2012 -- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei predicted a high turnout for Iran's March 2 parliamentary elections, describing the event as "another slap in the face" to Western powers.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list