Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2003 - India Special Weapons News
- U.S. Welcomes Kashmir Ceasefire Agreement by India, Pakistan Washington File 26 Nov 2003 -- The United States welcomes the announcement by India and Pakistan that they will observe a ceasefire along the Line of Control in Kashmir, said State Department Spokesman Richard Boucher.
- Vajpayee says Pakistan agreed to border ceasefire after "long persuasion" IRNA 27 Nov 2003 -- India`s Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee said on Wednesday that Pakistan has agreed to the border ceasefire between the two countries after "long persuasion", stressing that the truce would end cross-border terrorism, local press reported here on Thursday.
- PAKISTAN INDIA RELATIONS VOA 25 Nov 2003 -- Only moments ago, in the first formal ceasefire since an Islamic insurgency began in 1989, Pakistani and Indian soldiers ended all hostilities on the disputed Kashmir border. The historic move is one of several steps the nuclear-armed rivals are taking to reduce tensions over Kashmir, the cause of two wars and a source of instability in South Asia.
- Pakistan, India to observe ceasefire on Tuesday midnight - agency IRNA 25 Nov 2003 -- Pakistan and India will observe ceasefire along the working boundary, Line of Control and the Line of Actual Contact in Siachin Sector from the midnight November 25-26, official media reported here.
- India will respond positively to cease-fire call: Pakistan IRNA 24 Nov 2003 -- Pakistan on Monday expressed the belief that India would respond positively to Islamabad`s unilateral cease-fire announcement on the Line of Control (LoC).
- India test fires Brahmos missile from warship IRNA 24 Nov 2003 -- An Indian naval warship carried out the first development firing of the Indo-Russian anti-ship missile, Brahmos, on a target Sunday in the Bay of Bengal.
- India reacts cautiously to Pakistan`s ceasefire offer along LoC IRNA 24 Nov 2003 -- In a cautious reaction to Pakistan`s premier proposal for Eid truce along the Line of Control, India on Monday said it will respond `positively` but cross border infiltration must end to make it `durable` and offered a ceasefire in Siachen.
- INDIA PAKISTAN KASHMIR VOA 24 Nov 2003 -- The Indian government says it welcomes Pakistan's decision to implement a unilateral ceasefire along the Line of Control - which marks border between the two nuclear rivals in the disputed Kashmir region. But India has repeated its long-stated demand that Pakistan stop Islamic militants from crossing the border into Indian territory.
- Sixth Indo-French defense high committee meets IRNA 22 Nov 2003 -- The sixth Indo-French Defense High Committee met here on Friday and reviewed the overall security scenario including the situation in South Asia, Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Kirloskar to lead Indian Defense industry mission to Israel IRNA 22 Nov 2003 -- Atul Kirloskar, chairman of Kirloskar Oil Engines, will lead a 20-member defense industry mission of Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) to Israel from Sunday (Nov 23-29).
- INDIA/VIOLENCE VOA 22 Nov 2003 -- In India's northeastern state of Assam, suspected rebels have killed at least eleven migrant workers and wounded two others. A week-long wave of ethnic violence in the state has claimed at least 33 lives.
- "Strong growth" in Indo-US defense ties: Sibal IRNA 21 Nov 2003 -- The United States Under-Secretary of Commerce, Kenneth Juster, is optimistic of making progress with India in high technology cooperation, but does not set any deadline on when specific agreements could be reached.
- CHINA-INDIA EXERCISE VOA 14 Nov 2003 -- China and India held their first joint naval exercises Friday. As V-O-A's Luis Ramirez reports from Beijing, the training drill is a part of China's efforts to build stronger ties with its South Asian neighbor.
- RUSSIA - INDIA VOA 12 Nov 2003 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee are calling for a rapid return of Iraq's sovereignty, as well as continued efforts in the fight against global terrorism. The statements are in a joint declaration the two leaders issued after meeting in Moscow.
- Indian Navy to set up base for UAVs in Andamans IRNA 10 Nov 2003 -- The Indian Navy is planning to set up a base for unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in the Andaman Islands in India`s Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands in Bay of Bengal to increase its surveillance capacity in the region.
- India test fires supersonic anti-ship cruise Brahmos missile IRNA 10 Nov 2003 -- Brahmos, the supersonic anti-ship cruise missile jointly developed by India and Russia, was on Sunday successfully tested from the Interim Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur near Balasore in the eastern Indian state of Orissa for the fifth time, India`s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) sources said.
- India`s Assam to raise people`s army to combat insurgency IRNA 10 Nov 2003 -- The government in India`s northeastern state of Assam Monday decided to raise a people`s army by providing villagers with weapons to combat separatist insurgency in the region, officials said.
- CHINA / INDIA MILITARY EXERCISES VOA 06 Nov 2003 -- China and India are preparing to hold their first joint naval exercises. The drill marks an improvement in relations between the two neighbors.
- India-China joint naval exercise off east China Sea soon IRNA 06 Nov 2003 -- Three frontline warships of Indian Navy will carry out a search and rescue exercise with the marine units of the Chinese Navy on Friday on the east China Sea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list