Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2009 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- Work to Prevent A/H1N1 Flu Brisk in DPRK KCNA 30 Oct 2009 -- A strict anti-epidemic work is now under way in the DPRK where no A/H1N1 flu has yet occurred.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Suphung Power Station KCNA 30 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave on-site guidance to the Suphung Power Station.
- Implementation of Five-Point Policy of National Unity Called for KCNA 30 Oct 2009 -- The five-point policy of the great national unity clarified by General Secretary Kim Jong Il serves as the most just and correct and great programme for national reconciliation and unity as it reflects the reality of the June 15 era of reunification and the aspiration and wishes of all Koreans, says Rodong Sinmun Friday in a signed article.
- Disclosed Japan-U.S. Collusion for Nuclear Attack on DPRK under Fire KCNA 28 Oct 2009 -- Recently Reuters reported about the information declassified at the national archives of George Washington University that the United States and Japan reached an agreement on allowing U.S.-made nuclear weapons into Japanese territory when U.S.-Japan Security Treaty was revised in 1960.
- Actions for Frustrating U.S. "Human Rights" Offensive Called for KCNA 28 Oct 2009 -- The imperialists are taking issue with the so-called "human rights performance" in other countries while shelving their own hideous human rights abuses. Lurking behind this is a sinister intention to put other countries and nations under their domination under the pretext of "human rights issue."
- Subordinating Everything to Interests of Nation Called for KCNA 28 Oct 2009 -- It is an urgent need of the times for the north and the south to get reconciled and unite for the common cause of the nation, putting aside the differing ideologies and systems.
- S. Korean Resident Defects to DPRK KCNA 27 Oct 2009 -- Kang Tong Rim, 30, who resided in Polgyo Township, Posong County, South Jolla Province of south Korea, Monday came over to the northern half of Korea by crossing the Military Demarcation Line in the eastern sector of the front.
- U.S. Design to Stifle DPRK by Force Flayed KCNA 27 Oct 2009 -- The United States is speeding up the production of "bunker-buster" and its deployment for action on a full scale in a bid to use it for attacking underground military objects and nuclear facilities of the DPRK, says Rodong Sinmun Tuesday in a signed commentary.
- U.S. Accused of Bringing Nuclear Carrier for Maneuver KCNA 27 Oct 2009 -- The United States brought even its nuclear-powered carrier "George Washington" to be involved in the recent joint military maneuver it staged with the south Korean military authorities in the West Sea of the Korean Peninsula. This was another grave military threat to the DPRK. Minju Joson Tuesday observes this in a signed commentary.
- Elevator of Love for People KCNA 27 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il visited the newly built Pothonggang Shop one August day this year.
- South Korean defects to North Korea, fulfills dream RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2009 -- A South Korean citizen fled to communist North Korea through heavily armed border posts, fulfilling his long-standing dream, Korean media reported on Tuesday.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Art Performance KCNA 26 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il enjoyed an art performance given by servicepersons of companies under KPA Units 567, 531, 762 and 630 who participated in the 33rd art festival of KPA servicepersons.
- New Book off the Press KCNA 26 Oct 2009 -- The Pyongyang Publishing House has recently brought out the biographical book of Songun "General Kim Il Sung, Father of Songun" (Vol. 3).
- Establishment of New International Economic Order Called for KCNA 26 Oct 2009 -- It is essential for social progress and prosperity of developing countries in the new century to remove the old international economic order and establish new and fair one. Rodong Sinmun Monday says this in a signed article.
- All-Embracing Politics, One for Genuine Patriotism KCNA 26 Oct 2009 -- The all-embracing politics pursued by the Workers' Party of Korea is the one of genuine love for the country and nation as well as the patriotic one for national reconciliation, unity and reunification.
- South Korea Offers Humanitarian Aid to North VOA 26 Oct 2009 -- South Korea is preparing what may be its first aid transfer to North Korea in almost two years. The humanitarian gesture is a tiny fraction of the assistance previous governments extended to Pyongyang.
- North Korea Weekly (October 19 - 25, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 966 (Oct 19 to Oct 25, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Kim Jong Il Gives Field Guidance to Mt. Myohyang Recreation Ground KCNA 25 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to the newly-built Mt. Myohyang Recreation Ground.
- U.S., N. Korea officials meet in New York over nuclear issues RIA Novosti 25 Oct 2009 -- Senior U.S. and North Korean negotiators held a meeting on Saturday in New York to discuss the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and the resumption of stalled nuclear talks, a U.S. diplomat said.
- North Korean Envoy May Meet with US Official VOA 24 Oct 2009 -- A North Korean envoy in New York on a rare visit to the United States may meet face-to-face with a U.S. negotiator, fueling hopes for progress on stalled nuclear disarmament talks.
- Senior North Korean Official Makes Rare Trip to US VOA 23 Oct 2009 -- A high-level North Korean official is traveling to the United States for meetings that may help push forward stalled diplomacy with Washington.
- UN expert spotlights ‘abysmal’ human rights situation in DPR Korea UN News Centre 22 Oct 2009 -- The human rights situation in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) remains “abysmal” as a result of the repressive nature of the ruling regime, the independent United Nations expert monitoring the situation in the East Asian nation said in his latest report submitted today.
- S. Korean Scholar: North Experiencing Discord Among Kim Family Members VOA 22 Oct 2009 -- Leading North Korea researcher: North is experiencing some friction at the very top of the ruling Kim family.
- Clinton Urges Stronger Commitment To 'Vision' Of Nuclear-Free World RFE/RL 22 Oct 2009 -- US President Obama: Administration had begun work on an effort to eliminate nuclear weapons from the world's arsenals.
- Kim Jong Il Visits Newly-built Pig Farms KCNA 22 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to the newly-built September 26 Breeding Pig Farm and October 22 Pig Farm.
- Clinton: Iranian, N. Korean Nuclear Issues Critical to Stability VOA 21 Oct 2009 -- Secretary of State Clinton: Thwarting the nuclear ambitions of Iran and North Korea critical to efforts to shore up non-proliferation regime.
- New US Pacific Commander Concerned About North Korea, China VOA 21 Oct 2009 -- Commander of US forces in Asia and the Pacific and Indian Oceans: North Korea must be watched very closely.
- US Defense Secretary Urges South Korea to Spend More on Security VOA 21 Oct 2009 -- US Defense Secretary Gates: North Korea remains a real threat to security on the Korean peninsula and in the world.
- Kim Jong Il Visits Newly-built Apartment Houses KCNA 20 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il went round newly-built apartment houses in Mansudae Street.
- South Korea 'Worried' About North's Uranium Program VOA 19 Oct 2009 -- South Korea is calling North Korea's uranium enrichment program "worrisome."
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Salmon Breeding Institute KCNA 19 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave on-site guidance to the Salmon Breeding Institute.
- North Korea Weekly (October 12 - 18, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 965 (Oct 12 to Oct 18, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- DPRK's Efforts for Peace in Korean Peninsula Reiterated KCNA 18 Oct 2009 -- The DPRK will in the future, too, make every possible effort to ensure peace and security in Asian region including the Korean Peninsula.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Performance Given by Russian Academy Ensemble KCNA 18 Oct 2009 -- Kim Jong Il enjoyed performance by the Academy Ensemble of the Interior Unit of the Russian Ministry of Interior.
- U.S. issues visas to North Korean officials RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2009 -- The U.S. Department of State has granted a senior North Korean government official and his delegation a permission to attend two international conferences in the United States.
- U.S. Permits Visit By Senior North Korean Official RFE/RL 17 Oct 2009 -- The United States says it will allow a senior North Korean official to visit this month, a move analysts said could be a first step toward talks between the two on ending Pyongyang's nuclear programs
- Songun Revolutionary Cause Originated from DIU KCNA 16 Oct 2009 -- The Korean revolution is a sacred one which was pioneered and has advanced under the banner of the Down-with-Imperialism Union (DIU).
- Intensified Anti-Imperialist Struggle Called for KCNA 16 Oct 2009 -- Upholding the banner of the anti-imperialist struggle is one of the main guarantees for shattering the imperialists' moves for domination and continuing to dynamically push forward the popular masses' cause of independence. Rodong Sinmun Friday says this in a signed article.
- Warning, Apology Mark Week of Mixed Signals from North Korea VOA 15 Oct 2009 -- North Korea is accusing the South of sending warships into its waters and says a clash may result.
- Halt to Intrusion of S. Korean Warships into DPRK Waters Demanded KCNA 15 Oct 2009 -- Navy Command of the Korean People's Army released report Wednesday.
- Songun Politics, Mighty Mode of Politics KCNA 15 Oct 2009 -- The Songun politics of the Workers' Party of Korea is supported by more and more people of the world as days go by.
- U.S. wants North Korea to return to nuclear talks RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2009 -- US assistant secretary of state: US wants North Korea to return to six-nations talks on the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- State Department Official Says US, China Share Close Coordination on North Korea VOA 14 Oct 2009 -- Senior American official: US and China share "tight and close" coordination about North Korea.
- Ex-President Bush Promotes Six-Party N. Korean Talks VOA 14 Oct 2009 -- Former US President George W. Bush: Multilateral diplomacy is the key to resolving the standoff over North Korea's nuclear program.
- U.S. Entirely to Blame for Spawning Nuclear Issue on Korean Peninsula KCNA 14 Oct 2009 -- U.S. assistant secretary of State: DPRK's denial of nuclear dismantlement would result in further isolation.
- N. Korea could test-fire more missiles soon - media RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2009 -- There are indications that North Korea may be preparing to conduct new launches of short-range missiles from its west coast.
- 2 Koreas Plan Talks on Flood Control, Family Reunions VOA 13 Oct 2009 -- North and South Korea have agreed to hold talks on managing shared waterways and arranging more reunions between families.
- N.Korea launches short-range missiles off east coast - agency RIA Novosti 12 Oct 2009 -- North Korea has five launched short-range missiles into the East Sea.
- North Korea Test-Fires 5 Short-Range Missiles VOA 12 Oct 2009 -- Earlier, South Korea proposed holding talks with North Korea on preventing flooding from a cross-border river.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls upon All to Become Heroes in 100-day Campaign KCNA 12 Oct 2009 -- Rodong Sinmun editorially calls upon all to become heroes and perform feats in the 100-day campaign.
- North Korea Weekly (October 5 - 11, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 964 (Oct 4 to Oct 11, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- China urges S.Korea, Japan to resume N.Korea talks RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- China urged S. Korea and Japan at a summit on Saturday to enhance efforts to resume six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear problem.
- China, South Korea, Japan Leaders Hold Summit Meeting VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- China: North Korea wants better ties with the United States, Japan and South Korea.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Joint Art Performance KCNA 10 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il enjoyed a joint performance given by the Unhasu Orchestra, the Mansudae Art Troupe and the Samjiyon Band.
- Japan, South Korea Say No Aid for North Without Action on Nuclear Issue VOA 09 Oct 2009 -- Japan's new prime minister and South Korea's president are maintaining a firm joint position on North Korea.
- Russia upbeat over likely U.S.-N.Korea talks RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2009 -- Russia believes direct contacts between North Korea and the United States could provide a breakthrough in negotiations.
- S.Korean anti-communists to drop radios in North via balloons RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2009 -- A South Korean anti-communist group plans to attach 300 pocket radios to balloons and drop them in North Korea.
- Kim Jong Il Visits Newly-Built North Hwanghae Provincial Art Theater and Enjoys Art Performance KCNA 08 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il looked round the newly-built North Hwanghae Provincial Art Theater.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Migok Co-op Farm KCNA 08 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to the Migok Co-op Farm in Sariwon.
- US Envoy Heads to Tokyo, Beijing to Discuss North Korea VOA 07 Oct 2009 -- State Department sending a senior envoy to China and Japan next week to discuss ways of coaxing North Korea back to negotiations.
- Russia welcomes N.Korea's willingness to return to six-party talks RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2009 -- Russia welcomes North Korea's recent announcement that it is willing to return to the six-nation talks.
- KCNA and Remarks of Israeli Defence Minister KCNA 06 Oct 2009 -- Israeli Minister of Defence Barak: What requires primary attention is the "nuclear issue of north Korea."
- North Korea says ready to return to six-party nuclear talks RIA Novosti 06 Oct 2009 -- N. Korea's leader: Country willing to return to the six-nation talks on ending its nuclear weapons program.
- North Korea Signals Conditional Return to Nuclear Talks VOA 06 Oct 2009 -- North Korea has apparently told China it may be ready to return to six-nation talks aimed at ending its nuclear weapons programs.
- Message of Thanks to Kim Jong Il from Chinese Premier KCNA 06 Oct 2009 -- Message of thanks from Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.
- N. Korea says ready to discuss denuclearization of Korean Peninsula RIA Novosti 05 Oct 2009 -- Pyongyang is ready to discuss with foreign mediators the nuclear problem on the Korean Peninsula.
- N.Korean ship in Indian waters detained, searched RIA Novosti 05 Oct 2009 -- A North Korean ship heading for Pakistan was detained and searched by the Indian coast guard.
- Kim Jong Il Receives Greetings from Chinese Party and State Leaders KCNA 05 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il received a message of greetings from Hu Jintao, president of the People's Republic of China.
- Kim Jong Il Greets Chinese Party and State Leaders KCNA 05 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il sent a message of greetings to Hu Jintao, president of the People's Republic of China.
- Kim Jong Il Hosts Dinner for Wen Jiabao KCNA 05 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il hosted a dinner in honor of Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.
- Kim Jong Il Visits Wen Jiabao at State Guest House KCNA 05 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il visited the state guest house for Wen Jiabao, on an official goodwill visit to the DPRK.
- North Korean Leader Greets Chinese Premier at Airport VOA 05 Oct 2009 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Il has made a rare public appearance, greeting Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao as the Chinese leader arrived in Pyongyang for talks.
- Chinese Premier Visits North Korea VOA 05 Oct 2009 -- China has pledged to strengthen its friendship with isolated North Korea, as Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao continues a trip to mark 60th anniversary of diplomatic ties between the two countries.
- North Korea Weekly (September 28 - October 4, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Agreement and Agreed Documents Signed between DPRK, Chinese Governments KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- An agreement and agreed documents between the governments of the DPRK and China signed.
- Talks Held between DPRK and Chinese Premiers KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- Talks between Kim Yong Il, premier of the DPRK Cabinet, and Wen Jiabao, premier of State Council of China, took place at Mansudae Assembly Hall.
- Kim Jong Il Watches Opera with Chinese Premier KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il watched opera with Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.
- Wen Jiabao's Arrival Statement KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, made a written speech upon his arrival in Pyongyang at the airport.
- Chinese Premier Here KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, arrived today by special plane.
- Chinese premier arrives in North Korea on official visit RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2009 -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrived in North Korea on a three-day official visit on Sunday.
- South Korea Refuses to Return 11 North Korean Defectors VOA 04 Oct 2009 -- South Korean officials say Seoul has rejected a demand from North Korea to return 11 defectors.
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 963 (Sep 28 to Oct 3, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- DPRK in Constant Innovation and Uninterrupted Progress KCNA 02 Oct 2009 -- The DPRK has entered a 100-day campaign immediately after concluding the 150-day campaign with success.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Field Guidance to Central Tree Nursery and Ostrich Farm KCNA 02 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to the Central Tree Nursery and the Ostrich Farm.
- Kim Jong Il Meets Soldier-Builders KCNA 02 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il met soldier-builders who performed labor feats in the socialist construction and had a photo session with them.
- DPRK's Stand on World Peace and Security Clarified KCNA 01 Oct 2009 -- Pak Kil Yon, vice-MFA of the DPRK: Government would fulfil all its responsibilities for defending peace and security.
- Reunion of Separated Families of North and South Closes KCNA 01 Oct 2009 -- Reunion of separated families and relatives from the north and the south of Korea that began at Mt. Kumgang Resort on Sept. 26.
- Families Say Tearful Goodbyes as Latest Round of Korean Family Reunions End VOA 01 Oct 2009 -- Families from South and North Korea tearfully ended the latest round of reunions for separated relatives.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list