Commander's Guide to Money as a Weapons System Handbook
Official Representation Funds
Commanders use official representation funds (ORF) to uphold the standing and prestige of the U.S. by extending official courtesies to certain officials and dignitaries of the U.S. and foreign countries. ORF are used for military functions, receptions, lunches, dinners, modest entertainment, and community relations activities. Although ORF are an extremely small line of funding, the highest levels in the Department of Defense (DOD) scrutinize its use. Used correctly, it is very helpful in building relationships. A legal opinion must accompany requests to use ORF.
The senior general officer of a major command in the area of operations retains management and authority of ORF. He may not delegate authority to staff elements or subordinates units of these commands and only he has the authority to issue invitations to foreign authorized guests.
ORF must be approved prior to the event, and all ORF requirements must receive a legal review, regardless of the cost.
The Secretary of the Combined Joint Staff or Secretary of the General Staff will receive and validate all requests for ORF.
ORF may be used to extend official courtesy, on a modest basis, to authorized guests. Army Regulation (AR) 37-47, Representation Funds of the Secretary of the Army, paragraph 2-2, authorizes ORF for the following:
- Hosting authorized guests to maintain the standing and prestige of the U.S. at home and abroad.
- Luncheons, dinners, receptions, and participation at DOD-sponsored events held in honor of authorized guests.
- Entertaining local authorized guests to maintain civic and community relations.
- Receptions for local authorized guests to meet with newly assigned commander(s).
- Official functions, floral wreaths, decorations, and awards in observance of foreign national holidays and similar occasions taking place in foreign countries.
- Purchasing gifts and mementos for presentation to authorized guests in connection with official courtesies.
ORF cannot be used solely for the entertainment of or in honor of DOD personnel, except as specifically authorized by AR 37-47.
See Appendix I, Multi-National Corps-Iraq CJ8 Money as a Weapons System Standing Operating Procedure.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|