Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
14 January 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 14 Jan 2005 [PDF]
- 1ST ID SOLDIER KILLED
- SOLDIER KILLED, 3 WOUNDED IN ATTACK
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Daily MNF-I Operations Summary for January 13, 2005 MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Force - Iraq forces discovered and cleared 11 improvised explosive devices and seven weapons caches.
- 1st ID Soldiers Discover Weapons Cache During Search Near Bayji MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- 1st Infantry Division Soldiers discovered a weapons cache during a search near Bayji on Jan. 13 at about 11:24 a.m.
- Cache Discovered in Joint Operations Around Baqubah MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- 1st Infantry Division Soldiers discovered a significant weapons cache during operations conducted around Baqubah on January 13.
- Three Detained in Joint Raid Near Kirkuk MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Three individuals were detained during a joint raid near Kirkuk on January 13 at about 4:49 p.m.
- Wanted Individual Detained by Iraqi Police MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Danger Soldiers from the 2nd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Light), conducted a raid to capture an anti-Iraqi force member wanted for assassination attempts on Iraqi security forces.
- Five Detained Following Attack near Baqubah MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers detained five individuals, including two of their attackers, during a search of six homes near Baqubah at about 10:45 p.m. on January 13.
- Three Detained Following IED Attack MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Three anti-Iraqi force suspects were detained near the site of an IED attack on a 1st Infantry Division patrol near Muqdadiyah at about 11:27 p.m. on January 13.
- 201st Iraqi Army Discovers Rocket Aimed at Tikrit MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers from the 201st Iraqi Army on patrol north of the city of Tikrit located a rocket-launching position in Kadasia on Jan. 11 containing three S-5K 57 mm Soviet-made rockets.
- Security Forces in Kan'an Prepare for Upcoming Elections MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Charlie Company, Task Force 82nd Engineer continues to work with the Iraqi Security forces to ensure that the Iraqi elections proceed as planned.
- Insurgents Injure Innocent civilians with Roadside Bomb MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Anti-Iraqi forces injured two innocent civilians in an attempt to disrupt a security patrol in Mosul yesterday.
- Operation Powder River rounds up 25 suspects near Ad Duluiyah MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- 1st Infantry Division Soldiers from 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment detained 25 individuals in simultaneous raids near Ad Duluiyah on Jan. 14 at about 3:00 a.m.
- Two detained in raid near Hawija MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Danger Soldiers from 1st Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment detained two suspected anti-Iraqi forces insurgents during raids near Hawija on Jan. 14 at about 1:14 a.m.
- Iraqi Army Finds Large Weapons Cache, Detain Two MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Regular Army confiscated weapons, ammunition and bomb equipment and detained two individuals during operations in northern Iraq on Jan. 13.
- Insurgents use Mosque as Battle Grounds MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces came under attack by anti-Iraqi insurgents firing from a mosque in northern Iraq on Jan. 14.
- Vehicle Accident Kills 6 Iraqi civilians, Injures 8 Others MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Two patrols from the 1st Infantry Division operating near Muqdadiyah were completing their mission when a M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank collided head-on with a mini bus carrying Iraqi civilians about 6 a.m. on Jan. 14.
- IED Attack Damages Oil Pipeline MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Anti-Iraqi forces damaged a section of oil pipeline when an improvised explosive device detonated near Bayji just about 12:01 a.m. on Jan. 14.
- Iraqi, U.S. forces Detain Suspected Insurgents, Seize Weapons Caches MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces detained two insurgents and discovered a weapons cache in Fallujah Jan 14. The cache consisted of two PKC machine guns, one RPG launcher and one anti-tank rocket.
- Mosque Search Done with Care MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Elements of 4th Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment, assigned to the 2nd Brigade, 10th Mountain Division "Commandos", part of Task Force Baghdad, in conjunction with Iraqi National Guard conducted a search of the Al Khashab Mosque, Jan. 12.
- Six raids net 13 insurgent suspects MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers from the 2nd Brigade Combat Team "Commandos", 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), including the 303rd Iraqi National Guard soldiers, conducted six operations in the early morning hours of Jan. 14 in western Baghdad against targeted anti-Iraqi terrorists.
- Iraqi Man Helps Thwart IED Attack South of Baghdad MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- A local Iraqi man helped Marines and Iraqi National Guardsmen (ING) foil an insurgent attack south of Baghdad on Jan. 14.
- Soldiers Discover Roadside Bomb South f Baghdad MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- U.S. soldiers patrolling south of Baghdad discovered an improvised explosive device (IED) along Highway 1, Jan. 14.
- BUSH / IRAQ VOA 15 Jan 2005 -- President Bush says he was right to topple Saddam Hussein even though there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. That was the president's biggest justification for invading Iraq. Mr. Bush says he is looking forward to a second term where he will continue the fight against terrorism and will try to be more careful about what he says.
- US / ABU GHRAIB TRIAL VOA 14 Jan 2005 -- The case of US Army Specialist Charles Graner is now in the hands of a jury at Fort Hood, in Texas, after both the prosecution and defense delivered closing arguments Friday. Specialist Graner is accused of abusing Iraqi prisoners of war at the infamous Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.
- Insurgents Not Heroes to Iraqis AFPS 14 Jan 2005 -- Any idea that the insurgency is a spontaneous rising of the Iraqi people is "hogwash," said a senior Multinational Force Iraq official here.
- Guilty Verdict Reached as Alban court Martial Concludes MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Staff Sgt. Jonathan J. Alban-Cardenas was convicted on one count of murder and one count of conspiracy to commit murder during a general court martial at the 1st Cavalry Division courthouse here, Jan. 14.
- As Iraqi vote nears UN officials stress need for inclusiveness UN News Centre 14 Jan 2005 -- With barely two weeks left before Iraq holds elections for a provisional national assembly which will appoint a new government and write a constitution, top United Nations officials today called for the poll to be as inclusive as possible despite the violence in the war-wracked country.
- Iraq: Candidates Maintain Low Profiles In Election Campaign RFE/RL 14 Jan 2005 -- Election campaigning is under way for Iraq's 30 January vote. But with security a major concern, the campaigning bears little resemblance to what takes place in more stable countries. Most candidates appear in public only on television. And rallies, when they occur, are limited to a few hundred party faithful within closely guarded compounds.
- IRAQ / ELECTION SECURITY VOA 14 Jan 2005 -- Illustrating the difficulty of holding elections amid widespread violence, Iraq's interim government is reportedly considering a days-long security lockdown in large areas of the country prior to the January 30th balloting. Meanwhile, one of Iraq's most deadly insurgent groups has renewed its vow to attack polling stations if Iraqis do not boycott the elections.
- Analysis: Oil, Electricity Ministers Criticized For Iraqi Fuel Crisis RFE/RL 14 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Oil Minister Thamir al-Ghadban has come under fire in the Iraqi media in recent weeks for the burgeoning fuel crisis that is plaguing the country.
- Police Recruiting Drive south of Baghdad Draws 1,100 MNF-I/MNC-I 14 Jan 2005 -- Nearly 1,100 Iraqis converged on a police recruiting center south of Baghdad on Jan. 13 to compete for 100 jobs at police stations throughout northern Babil Province.
- Iraq: Violence Continues As Shi'a Clerics Urge Restraint Following Killing Of Al-Sistani Aide RFE/RL 14 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Shi'a leaders are urging restraint following the killing this week of an aide to the country's top Shi'a Muslim cleric, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani. The Shi'a leaders say the killing is an attempt to start a sectarian war with Sunni Muslims ahead of Iraq's 30 January elections, and are calling on the country's majority Shi'a not to seek revenge. Violence has been reported in a number of Iraqi hot spots, with murders, kidnappings and sabotage claiming tens of lives and disrupting Iraq's oil industry.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list