Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2009 - India Special Weapons News
- Indian navy designated as central authority for maritime security IRNA 28 Feb 2009 -- Indian Navy has been designated as the central authority for the country's overall maritime security, said Defense Minister A K Antony.
- India lays keel of new aircraft carrier RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2009 -- The keel-laying ceremony for India's Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) took place Saturday, the country's Defense Ministry said.
- India Rejects Pakistani Naval Chief's Assertion on Mumbai Attackers VOA 27 Feb 2009 -- Indian government: No evidence terrorist attack on Mumbai carried out by gunmen who took sea route.
- India asks Pak to bring perpetrators of Mumbai attack to justice IRNA 27 Feb 2009 -- India has reiterated that perpetrators of the Mumbai attacks should be brought to justice.
- India to lay keel of new aircraft carrier on Saturday RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2009 -- The keel-laying ceremony for India's Indigenous Aircraft Carrier will take place this coming Saturday.
- India says its border with Bangladesh is safe, secure IRNA 26 Feb 2009 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman man announced here on Thursday that India's joint border with Bangladesh is safe and secure.
- India Files First Formal Cases in Mumbai Terror Attack VOA 25 Feb 2009 -- Indian authorities have charged the lone surviving gunman in Mumbai terror attacks with murder and waging war against India.
- Indian Border Security Force on high alert along Bangladesh border IRNA 25 Feb 2009 -- India's Border Security Force went on high alert following a rebellion by soliders of Bangladesh Rifles in Dhaka.
- India to Charge Mumbai Attack Suspect VOA 24 Feb 2009 -- Indian police say the lone surviving gunman in the deadly Mumbai attacks will be formally charged in the case on Wednesday.
- LTTE may target India: Sri Lankan Army Chief IRNA 24 Feb 2009 -- After being battered by Sri Lanka, a desperate Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) may target India, Sri Lankan Army Chief has warned.
- India offers assistance to Lanka for evacuation of IDPs IRNA 24 Feb 2009 -- India: Sanctity of the safe zones must be respected by Sri Lankan forces and the LTTE for the evacuation of the IDPs.
- India expresses concern over LTTE air raids over Colombo IRNA 21 Feb 2009 -- Expressing concern over the latest turn of events in Sri Lanka, particularly the air raids by LTTE over Colombo, India Saturday appealed to the government and the militant organization to come to a peaceful negotiated settlement.
- India to press Pakistan to cooperate to end cross-border terrorism IRNA 21 Feb 2009 -- India will press for concrete and sincere cooperation by Pakistan to end cross-border terrorism at the South Asian Association of Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Ministerial meeting in Colombo on Friday.
- India voices 'concern' over Pakistan deal with Taliban IRNA 20 Feb 2009 -- India: "The deal has added to India's "worries" over the security scenario in the region."
- Russia to export nuclear material to India with IAEA safeguards RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2009 -- Russia will export nuclear materials to India for use in power plants under guarantee of international nuclear watchdog.
- Containers could be used to transport nukes: Indian Navy chief RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2009 -- India's Navy Chief Admiral Mehta: Cargo containers could be used to transport nuclear weapons.
- India to support political settlement of ethnic issue in Lanka IRNA 18 Feb 2009 -- India: "The resolution has to be acceptable to all communities including the Tamils living there in an undivided Sri Lanka."
- US, India, Pakistan Face 'Common Threat' VOA 16 Feb 2009 -- The global threat from Islamic militant groups based in the region was on top of the agenda of U.S. envoy Richard Holbrooke.
- Russia's state arms exporter has $20 bln in foreign orders RIA Novosti 16 Feb 2009 -- Russian state-controlled arms exporter Rosoboronexport has a foreign orders portfolio of $20 billion.
- India Air Force 'bombs' Rajasthan village IRNA 15 Feb 2009 -- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has denied the incident, but a local resident, Dost Ali of Doshe Khan ki Dhani, has lodged an FIR with the police, claiming a plane flew over his village on Friday and dropped a bomb on his farmland.
- India to fire 5,000 km range Agni missile by December 2010 IRNA 13 Feb 2009 -- India is likely to fire its Agni-V ballistic missile with a range of 5,000 km by the end of 2010.
- India, Russia enter into $ 600 million JV to develop new aircraft IRNA 13 Feb 2009 -- India and Russia would establish a fifty-fifty Joint Venture to develop a multi-role transport aircraft.
- Russia offers India 320 combat helicopters RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2009 -- Russia ready to provide India with 320 military helicopters and hopes to expand cooperation.
- India asks Pakistan to dismantle terror infrastructure on its soil IRNA 13 Feb 2009 -- India Friday asked Pakistan to dismantle terror infrastructure on its soil.
- India terms Pak admission, actions a positive development IRNA 13 Feb 2009 -- India: Pakistan's admission of role of operatives based on its soil in Mumbai attacks a positive development.
- Pakistan says part of Mumbai attacks planned in country IRNA 13 Feb 2009 -- Pakistan: Part of Mumbai conspiracy took place in country, however, there are indications that various countries used to carry out act.
- Pak's nukes not a deterrent: India IRNA 12 Feb 2009 -- Defence Minister A K Antony dismissed suggestions that Pakistan's nuclear capabilities a factor in any hesitation by India to carry out a surgical strike.
- Pakistan Says Mumbai Attacks Planned on Its Soil VOA 12 Feb 2009 -- Pakistan has for the first time acknowledged that attacks on the Indian financial capital of Mumbai were partly plotted on its soil.
- Indian air force to receive BrahMos cruise missiles in 2012 RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2009 -- The BrahMos supersonic cruise missile will be commissioned by the Indian air force in 2012.
- Russia, India may form military transport planes JV in 2-3 months RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2009 -- Russia and India could set up a joint venture to produce medium-lift military transport planes.
- Russia to deliver first AWACS plane to India 'soon' RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2009 -- Russia will deliver the first A-50 AWACS aircraft developed on the basis of Il-76MD military transport plane in the near future.
- Russia delivers 4 MiG-29 fighters to India RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2009 -- Russia has delivered the first four MiG-29 Fulcrum-D naval fighters to India and will supply the remaining 12 aircraft by the end of 2009.
- Clashes in Srinagar IRNA 12 Feb 2009 -- Protests again broke out in sensitive Maisuma quarter with federal police deployed there clashing with the people who are demanding their eviction from the area.
- U.S. commitment to Pacific region showcased in India AFNS 12 Feb 2009 -- About 150 US military personnel and Department of Defense civilians were among people taking part Aero India 09.
- Surgical strikes, war with Pakistan out of place options IRNA 11 Feb 2009 -- Former Kashmiri chief minister, Mufti Mohammad Sayeed: Peace should dominate the national debate rather than confrontation rhetoric.
- Russian, Indian navies complete INDRA-2009 exercises RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2009 -- Russian and Indian warships completed final stage of the INDRA-2009 joint naval exercises, practicing anti-piracy operations.
- Russia to deliver first Mi-171 helicopter to India in 2010 RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2009 -- Russia will deliver the first of 80 Mi-171 transport helicopters to India under a recent contract in 2010.
- Indian delegation visits Russian dock, Nerpa sub RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2009 -- An Indian delegation has visited the dock where the Nerpa nuclear submarine has been kept since a fatal accident on board last year.
- Russia's TVEL signs nuclear fuel deal with India RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2009 -- Russian nuclear fuel producer TVEL signed contract with New Delhi on fuel supplies to Indian nuclear power plants.
- US Walks Tightrope Between South Asia Rivals VOA 10 Feb 2009 -- The new U.S. special envoy, Richard Holbrooke, is on his maiden trip to South Asia.
- Al-Qaida Commander Threatens India in Video Message VOA 10 Feb 2009 -- al-Qaida leader has appeared in a video message warning India that it could face additional terror attacks similar to siege on Mumbai.
- Russia to sign $780 million nuclear fuel deal with India IRNA 09 Feb 2009 -- Russian nuclear fuel producer TVEL expects to sign a 780 million dollar contract on fuel supplies to Indian nuclear power plants.
- India to seek Dhaka's cooperation in combating terrorism IRNA 09 Feb 2009 -- External Affairs Minister Mukherjee seeking Dhaka's cooperation in combating terrorism and improving trade and investment ties.
- Russian, Indian warships escort commercial ships off Somali coast RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2009 -- Russian Admiral Vinogradov destroyer and India's Tabar missile frigate practiced joint anti-piracy operations.
- Russia's Sukhoi aircraft maker opens office in India RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2009 -- Russia's Sukhoi aircraft maker opened a representative office in the capital of India, New Delhi.
- Collision Averted in Mumbai between Air India Jetliner and Presidential Helicopter Fleet VOA 09 Feb 2009 -- A potential disaster appears to have been narrowly avoided at South Asia's busiest airport.
- U.S. military to participate in Aero India 09 AFNS 09 Feb 2009 -- The United States military will be represented at the Aero India 09 air show at Air Force Station Yelahanka in Bangalore, India, Feb. 11 to 15.
- Russia's TVEL to sign $780 mln nuclear fuel deal with India RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2009 -- Russian nuclear fuel producer TVEL expects to sign a $780 million contract on fuel supplies to Indian nuclear power plants, a spokesman for Russia's state nuclear power corporation Rosatom said on Saturday.
- India urges UN to ensure that Pak fulfills commitment to end terror IRNA 06 Feb 2009 -- India urged the UN to ensure that Pakistan fulfills commitment to end terrorism emanating from its soil.
- India slams Islamabad for terrorists hold public meeting in PoK IRNA 06 Feb 2009 -- India slammed Pakistan for allowing a congregation of banned terror outfits in Pakistan occupied Kashmir.
- Indian Official Links Pakistan's Spy Agency to Mumbai Attacks VOA 05 Feb 2009 -- India's foreign secretary says Pakistan's spy agency is linked to planners of the Mumbai terrorist attacks.
- Russia may build more Krivak class frigates for India RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2009 -- Russia and India are negotiating a new contract on the delivery of additional Project 11356 frigates for the Indian navy.
- India Signs First Contract After Lifting of Embargo on Nuclear Trade VOA 04 Feb 2009 -- India has signed its first nuclear contract after the international community lifted an embargo on civilian nuclear trade.
- French firm signs deal to build nuclear power plant in India RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2009 -- A memorandum of understanding signed by Nuclear Power Corporation of India and France's Areva on nuclear power plant.
- India Still Awaiting Word from Pakistan on Mumbai Terror Probe VOA 03 Feb 2009 -- India's patience with Pakistan appears to be wearing thin.
- Russia to deliver first Mi-171 helicopter to India by yearend RIA Novosti 02 Feb 2009 -- Russia will deliver the first of the 80 Mi-171 transport helicopters to India under a recent contract by the end of this year.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list