Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2009 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- North Korea scraps all military, political deals with South RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2009 -- North Korea said on Friday it would scrap all political and military agreements with South Korea, including a non-aggression pact.
- North Korea Cancels All Agreements with South VOA 30 Jan 2009 -- North Korea says it is scrapping all political and military agreements with South Korea.
- UN expert appeals to DPRK to launch abduction investigation UN News Centre 28 Jan 2009 -- UN expert called on the DPRK to initiate investigation into abduction of Japanese citizens.
- Kim Jong Il Appreciates Performance KCNA 28 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il appreciated a performance given by the song and dance ensembles of the KPA Naval Command and the Air Command.
- Kim Jong Il Watches Volleyball Match KCNA 28 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il watched the volleyball match held between the "April 25" Team of the KPA and a volleyball selection.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Performance of State Merited Chorus KCNA 26 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il enjoyed a performance given by the State Merited Chorus on the occasion of the lunar New Year.
- North Korea Weekly (January 19 - 25, 2009) ROK National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 927 (January 19 to 25 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Kim Jong Il Meets CPC Delegation KCNA 23 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il Friday met the visiting delegation of the International Liaison Department of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China led by its Head Wang Jiarui.
- Immediate Halt to Moves for War of Aggression against DPRK Demanded KCNA 23 Jan 2009 -- A spokesman for the National Peace Committee of Korea in a statement issued Friday urged the United States and the Lee Myung Bak bellicose forces to clearly know who their rival is and act with discretion and stop at once such moves for a war of aggression against the DPRK as threatening peace and security of the Korean Peninsula and the destiny of the nation.
- U.S. Defense Department Designates DPRK as Nuclear Weapons State KCNA 23 Jan 2009 -- A special investigation committee for nuclear weapons management and examination of the U.S. Department of Defense recently made public a report designating the DPRK as a nuclear weapons state.
- DPRK's Foreign Policy Stand Reiterated KCNA 23 Jan 2009 -- The stand and principle of the foreign policy of the DPRK to develop friendly relations with the countries friendly towards it remains unchanged. The DPRK government will make positive efforts to develop the fair international friendly relations in the future, too. Rodong Sinmun Friday says this in a signed article.
- North Korean leader holds meeting with Chinese official RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2009 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il met with Chinese communist party official Wang Jiarui in the capital Pyongyang.
- North Korean Leader Meets Chinese Envoy VOA 23 Jan 2009 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Il has met with a visiting Chinese envoy, in his first reported contact with a foreign official in more than six months.
- Kim Yong Il Meets CPC Delegation KCNA 22 Jan 2009 -- Kim Yong Il, premier of the DPRK Cabinet, metwith the delegation of Communist Party of China.
- Choe Thae Bok Meets CPC Delegation KCNA 22 Jan 2009 -- Choe Thae Bok, secretary of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, met with the delegation of the the Communist Party of China.
- Interview: No Signs Kim Has Eased Control in North Korea cfr.org 21 Jan 2009 -- Interviewee: Don Oberdorfer, Chairman, U.S.-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University's Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies
- North Korea 'has 100 tons of uranium' RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2009 -- North Korea has about 14,800 unused fuel rods, the equivalent of just over 100 tons of uranium, a South Korean news agency reported.
- Leader's Field Guidance Spurring on Revolutionary Advance KCNA 20 Jan 2009 -- Reports about the field guidance of General Secretary Kim Jong Il spreading in the DPRK aboil with a new revolutionary upsurge.
- DPRK to Mercilessly Punish Aggressors KCNA 19 Jan 2009 -- Statement issued by the Korean People's Army over the situation prevailing on the Korean Peninsula due to the reckless moves of South Korea.
- North Korea Weekly (January 12 - 18, 2009) ROK National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 926 (January 12 to 18 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Rodong Sinmun on DPRK's Independent Foreign Policy KCNA 18 Jan 2009 -- The independent foreign policy of the DPRK serves as a driving force for developing the fair international relations, says Rodong Sinmun Sunday in a signed article.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects KPA Sub-unit KCNA 17 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected a sub-unit under KPA Unit 2752 honored with the title of O Jung Hup-led Seventh Regiment.
- Kim Jong Il Guides Mt. Ryongak Recreation Ground KCNA 17 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to Mt. Ryongak Recreation Ground which has been successfully built into a people's recreation centre.
- Principled Stand of KPA to Defend Socialist Country as Firm as Iron Wall Clarified KCNA 17 Jan 2009 -- A spokesman for the General Staff of the Korean People's Army issued a statement on Saturday clarifying the principled stand of the KPA in connection with the fact that traitor Lee Myung Bak and his group's anti-DPRK confrontational racket has reached an uncontrollable phase.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry's Spokesman Dismisses U.S. Wrong Assertion KCNA 17 Jan 2009 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Ministry of Foreign Affairs Saturday gave the following answer to the question put by KCNA dismissing the U.S. wrong assertion over the nuclear issue and the issue of normalizing the bilateral relations:
- US Expert Says North Korea Has 'Weaponized' PlutoniumM VOA 17 Jan 2009 -- A U.S. expert says North Korea has "weaponized" its plutonium, producing four to five warheads. Pyongyang now wishes to be treated as a nuclear weapon state.
- North Korea Looks to Obama Administration for Food, Fuel Aid VOA 17 Jan 2009 -- A U.S. expert says North Korea is looking for "positive steps" from the Obama administration to improve relations between the two countries. North Korea may be signaling some of its priorities include heavy fuel oil and long-term food aid.
- East Asian Media Reports Kim Jong Il Has Named Heir VOA 16 Jan 2009 -- Reports in South Korean and Japanese media this week say North Korean leader Kim Jong Il has named an heir.
- Russia to complete fuel supplies to N.Korea in Jan. RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2009 -- Russia will complete later in January its fuel shipments to North Korea under international agreements.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Guidance to Light Industrial Establishments in Pyongyang KCNA 15 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to light industrial establishments in the city of Pyongyang.
- N. Korea leader names 3rd son as successor - S. Korean media RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2009 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il has tapped his third son to be his successor and sent nomination to the ruling party.
- Clinton Backs Six-Party Talks for Ending North Korean Nuclear Program VOA 14 Jan 2009 -- Secretary of State-designate Clinton expressed support for negotiations aimed at ending North Korea's nuclear program.
- DPRK Powerful with All People Armed KCNA 14 Jan 2009 -- An impregnable all-people defense system has been established nationwide in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry's Spokesman Dismisses U.S. Wrong Assertion KCNA 13 Jan 2009 -- Wrong views and assertions were floated in the US to create impression that denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula is issue settled only when DPRK shows nuclear weapons.
- Kim Jong Il Visits Economic Sectors KCNA 13 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave field guidance to the Taean Heavy Machine Complex and the Kum Song Tractor Plant.
- N. Korea to discuss sale of unused nuclear rods to S. Korea RIA Novosti 13 Jan 2009 -- An official delegation will visit North Korea to discuss the sale of unspent nuclear fuel rods.
- N. Korea to stop nuclear program if U.S. stops threats RIA Novosti 13 Jan 2009 -- North Korea in an official statement pledged to discontinue its nuclear ambitions if the US stopped its threatening.
- Central Election Committee for Election of Deputies to DPRK SPA Formed KCNA 12 Jan 2009 -- A decision of the Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK was published to form the Central Election Committee for the Election of Deputies to the 12th SPA of the DPRK.
- North Korea Weekly (January 5 - 11, 2009) ROK National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 925 (January 5 to 11 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Signal Achievements in Coal Mines KCNA 09 Jan 2009 -- Colliers across the country are turning out in the campaign to carry out the tasks set forth in the joint New Year editorial, holding high the torch of a new revolutionary upsurge.
- Militant Slogan Calling People to New Revolutionary Upsurge KCNA 09 Jan 2009 -- The militant slogan "Make the fullest development of Songun Korea by inheriting the great tradition of revolutionary upswing!" was put forward in the joint editorial of the party, army and youth papers of the DPRK this year.
- All Koreans Urged to Remain True to Idea of "By Our Nation Itself" KCNA 09 Jan 2009 -- All the Koreans in the north and the south and overseas should regard "By our nation itself" as the basic idea of the national reunification movement and fully embody it in order to bring about phenomenal progress in the development of the national reunification movement this year.
- Checking of Spread of Reactionary Bourgeois Ideology and Culture Called for KCNA 09 Jan 2009 -- To check the spread of bourgeois ideology and culture at present is very important and urgent for each country to achieve its independent development, progress and prosperity.
- Reviving Talks With N. Korea Key Challenge for Obama Administration VOA 09 Jan 2009 -- How to revive talks to eliminate North Korea's nuclear program will be a key challenge for the Obama administration.
- Political and Ideological Superiority of Revolutionary Army Mightier than Nuclear Weapons KCNA 08 Jan 2009 -- The Korean People's Army is displaying its might to the full today as a powerful army in ideas.
- DPRK Reiterates Its Will to Contribute to Cause of Global Independence KCNA 07 Jan 2009 -- It is the consistent stand and will of the DPRK to strive hard to achieve global independence.
- Kim Jong Il Visits Wonsan Youth Power Station KCNA 06 Jan 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il visited the newly-built Wonsan Youth Power Station and encouraged the workers all out in their new year's drive.
- New Great Revolutionary Upswing Called for KCNA 06 Jan 2009 -- The joint editorial for this year serves as a militant banner as it fully reflects the plan and determination of General Secretary Kim Jong Il.
- Pyongyang Mass Rally Held KCNA 05 Jan 2009 -- A Pyongyang mass rally took place at the Kim Il Sung Square Monday to carry through the militant tasks laid down in the joint New Year editorial.
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 924 (December 29, 2008 to January 4, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Joint New Year Editorial Issued KCNA 01 Jan 2009 -- Rodong Sinmun, Josoninmingun and Chongnyonjonwi Thursday issued a joint editorial titled "Glorify this year as a year of a new revolutionary upsurge sounding the general advance."
- N. Korean New Year Message Stresses Economy, Vows Nuclear Arms Reduction VOA 01 Jan 2009 -- North Korea says it will focus its efforts in the new year on building its military and economy, and acknowledges it has food scarcity problems that need to be addressed.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list