Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2006 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- Rodong Sinmun on Music-based Politics of WPK KCNA 28 Feb 2006 -- A revolutionary song is a song of advance resounding in the ranks of struggle and a powerful impetus that stirs up the hearts of all the army and people to arouse them as one, says Rodong Sinmun today in an editorial
- Withdrawal of U.S. Troops from South Korea Called for KCNA 28 Feb 2006 -- All the Koreans in the north and the south and abroad should conduct a patriotic movement for independent reunification, peace against war and great national unity under the banner of "By our nation itself" so as to get the U.S. imperialist aggression troops withdrawn from south Korea at an early date as they have brought all sorts of misfortune and sufferings to the Koreans for more than 60 years of their presence in south Korea, urges Rodong Sinmun Monday in a signed article.
- Pyongyang Bell KCNA 28 Feb 2006 -- The Pyongyang Bell is one of the national cultural heritage of Korea.
- Meeting of Officials in Field of Land and Environment Preservation Held KCNA 27 Feb 2006 -- A meeting of officials in the field of land and environment preservation took place at the People's Palace of Culture Saturday.
- Rodong Sinmun on Three-point Patriotic Movement KCNA 27 Feb 2006 -- The idea and leadership of Kim Jong Il are now serving as a victorious banner which powerfully encourages the 70 million fellow countrymen in their nation-wide efforts to conduct the dynamic three-point patriotic movement under the banner of "By our nation itself".
- S. Korean Delegations Arrive KCNA 27 Feb 2006 -- A delegation of the "Movement for Inter-Korean Help" of south Korea headed by Permanent Representative Kang Mun Gyu and a delegation of the "Central Committee of the Agricultural Cooperatives" of south Korea headed by Representative Director Song Sok U arrived here today.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Field Guidance to Munchon Kumgang Smeltery KCNA 27 Feb 2006 -- Kim Jong Il, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the National Defence Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, gave field guidance to the Munchon Kumgang Smeltery
- Weekly on North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service Feb. 20 - Feb. 26, 2006
- Agreement on Air Service Signed between DPRK and Syria KCNA 25 Feb 2006 -- An agreement on air service between the governments of the DPRK and Syria was concluded in Damascus on Feb. 20.
- 7th Inter-Korean Red Cross Talks Held KCNA 25 Feb 2006 -- Inter-Korean Red Cross Talks took place at Mt. Kumgang resort from Feb. 21 to 23
- Third Meeting of Pacesetters of Three Revolution Red Flag Movement Closes KCNA 25 Feb 2006 -- The 3rd meeting of pacesetters of the Three-Revolution Red Flag Movement closed today.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects KPA Unit KCNA 25 Feb 2006 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Il, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the National Defence Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, inspected KPA Unit 226 situated on the forefront. He went round the room devoted to the history of the unit, guided by its commander.
- WFP Approves New Conditional Food Aid Plan for N. Korea VOA 24 Feb 2006 -- The United Nations World Food Program is preparing to resume food distribution in North Korea, three months after the Pyongyang ordered the organization to stop emergency food aid
- Third Meeting of Pacesetters of Three-Revolution Red Flag Movement Opens KCNA 24 Feb 2006 -- The 3rd meeting of pacesetters of the Three-Revolution Red Flag Movement was opened today at the 6,000-seat theater of the April 25 House of Culture in Pyongyang.
- U.S. Should Be Brought to Human Rights Court KCNA 24 Feb 2006 -- The world progressives are vehemently condemning the U.S. imperialists' infringement upon the sovereign rights of other countries and their human rights abuses and strongly calling for bringing the U.S., the worst human rights abuser, to the international human rights court and punishing it.
- Dynamic Three-Revolution Red Flag Movement Called for KCNA 24 Feb 2006 -- Papers here Thursday editorially call for effecting a fresh surge in building a great prosperous powerful nation under the banner of the three revolutions in connection with the opening of third meeting of pacesetters of the three-revolution red flag movement in Pyongyang.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for National Independence and Reunification KCNA 24 Feb 2006 -- Rodong Sinmun today in a signed article calls upon all the fellow countrymen in the north and the south and overseas to turn out in the struggle for national independence and reunification under the uplifted banner of "By our nation itself".
- KCNA Blasts Aso's Assertion for Settlement of "Abduction Issue" KCNA 24 Feb 2006 -- Before and after the recent DPRK-Japan talks in Beijing, the Japanese authorities insisted that the "abduction issue" is a core issue to be settled at the talks.
- New Education System Established in DPRK KCNA 24 Feb 2006 -- A new higher education system has been established in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to elevate the level of scientific education as required by the developing times.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects KPA Unit KCNA 24 Feb 2006 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Il, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the National Defence Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, inspected KPA unit 120 situated on the forefront.
- North Korea Agrees to US Briefing on Alleged Counterfeiting VOA 23 Feb 2006 -- The State Department said Thursday North Korea has accepted an offer for a briefing early next month on alleged counterfeiting and other financial misdeeds by Pyongyang that led to U.S. sanctions
- Japan Issues Arrest Warrants for North Koreans Over Abduction Issue VOA 23 Feb 2006 -- In the latest move in an escalating dispute between Japan and North Korea, police in Tokyo have obtained arrest warrants for two North Koreans who allegedly kidnapped four Japanese citizens in the 1970s.
- U.S. Plan to Use Nukes against DPRK Disclosed KCNA 23 Feb 2006 -- It was recently disclosed that the U.S. had a plan to use nukes against the DPRK in 1975, according to the KBS of south Korea.
- U.S. Dangerous War Scenario Denounced KCNA 22 Feb 2006 -- "Quadrennial Defense Review" recently made public by the U.S. Defense Department is an extremely dangerous war scenario driving the situation in and around the Korean Peninsula to the point of explosion.
- U.S.-Style "Freedom and Democracy" under Fire KCNA 22 Feb 2006 -- The strategy to spread the U.S.-style "freedom and democracy" worldwide zealously pursued by the Bush administration is a crafty strategy for aggression and domination to attain its sinister purpose to put the world under its domination with ease, observes Minju Joson Tuesday in a signed commentary.
- U.S. "Demarche" Assailed KCNA 22 Feb 2006 -- The United States is now advocating a "demarche" aiming to realize regime restructuring through "diplomacy for spreading democracy and freedom" and establish more pro-U.S. regimes.
- Rodong Sinmun on Main Obstacle to Peaceful Reunification KCNA 22 Feb 2006 -- The U.S. is the main obstacle to the peace and reunification of the Korean nation and the U.S. imperialist aggression troops stationed in south Korea are the root cause of war.
- U.S.-S. Korea Agreement on "Strategic Flexibility" Flailed KCNA 22 Feb 2006 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry issued a statement Tuesday to accuse the United States of pressurizing the south Korean authorities to agree on "strategic flexibility".
- 10th Kimjongilia Festival Closes KCNA 22 Feb 2006 -- The 10th Kimjongilia Festival that opened on Feb. 14 on the occasion of the February holiday closed today.
- U.S. Violation of International Human Rights Norms under Fire KCNA 21 Feb 2006 -- The Law Institute of the DPRK Academy of Social Sciences in an indictment on Feb. 19 branded the United States as the world's biggest human rights abuser and a typical criminal state as it has failed to guarantee its citizens elementary rights and wantonly violated international human rights norms in different parts of the world while being keen on spreading American-style view on value worldwide only.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Glorifying Songun Leadership Exploits of WPK KCNA 21 Feb 2006 -- Rodong Sinmun today editorially calls for stepping up the general march this year true to the Songun revolutionary leadership exploits of the Workers' Party of Korea so as to give full play to the invincible spirit of Korean-style socialism advancing with the might of Songun.
- S. Korean Delegation Arrives KCNA 21 Feb 2006 -- A south Korean delegation of the youth committees of political parties with Member of the National Assembly from the Uri Party Ri Hwa Yong as its chief head and with the chairpersons of the youth committees of the Democratic Party and the Democratic Workers' Party as its co-heads arrived here
- All Koreans Urged to Work Hard for National Reunification KCNA 20 Feb 2006 -- An appeal adopted at the joint meeting of the government, political parties and organizations of the DPRK held in Pyongyang on Jan. 26 is now commanding support and approval of all Koreans in the north, the south and overseas in their dynamic movement for national reunification for the new year and instilling stronger enthusiasm and will for reunification and patriotism into them.
- Shining Achievements Made by Three-Revolution Red Flag Movement KCNA 20 Feb 2006 -- The dynamic three-revolution red flag movement, an all-people movement in the DPRK, has registered big achievements in the three revolutions--ideological, technical and cultural.
- Weekly on North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service Feb. 13 - Feb. 19, 2006
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Performance Given by State Symphony Orchestra KCNA 18 Feb 2006 -- Kim Jong Il, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the National Defence Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, enjoyed a performance given by the State Symphony Orchestra
- Congratulatory Message to Kim Jong Il from Putin KCNA 17 Feb 2006 -- Chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission Kim Jong Il received a congratulatory message from Russian President V. Putin on Feb. 16.
- Kimjongilia Exhibitions Held in Provinces KCNA 17 Feb 2006 -- Kimjongilia exhibitions are now under way in all provinces on the occasion of the auspicious February holiday.
- Papers Editorially Celebrate February Holiday KCNA 17 Feb 2006 -- Papers here today dedicate editorials to February 16, an auspicious holiday.
- February Holiday Celebrated KCNA 17 Feb 2006 -- Meetings were held at the units of the three services of the Korean People's Army and in every province, city and county on Feb. 15 to celebrate February 16, the auspicious holiday.
- Leader and Songun KCNA 17 Feb 2006 -- The ever-victorious tradition of the Korean Revolution that was pioneered at the point of bayonet is being successfully carried forward under the guidance of Kim Jong Il, the brilliant commander of Songun.
- Evening Gala of Servicepersons Held KCNA 17 Feb 2006 -- An evening gala of the Ministry of the People's Armed Forces took place at Jonsung Square on Feb. 15 to celebrate the auspicious February holiday.
- Japanese Police Raid Trading Firms Suspected of Weapons-Related Exports to N. Korea VOA 17 Feb 2006 -- In the latest crackdown on Japanese companies illegally exporting equipment that can be used to produce weapons, police have raided two small trading companies in Tokyo.
- KCNA 16 Feb 2006 -- A meeting of workers and trade union members took place at the Central Workers' Hall on Feb. 14 to celebrate the birthday of leader Kim Jong Il.
- Combined Performance Given by Art Groups of Ministry of People's Armed Forces KCNA 16 Feb 2006 -- Art groups of the Ministry of the People's Armed Forces gave a combined performance at the April 25 House of Culture on Feb. 14 to celebrate February 16.
- Samjiyon Schoolchildren's Palace Reconstructed on Expansion Basis KCNA 16 Feb 2006 -- The Samjiyon Schoolchildren's Palace, located at the foot of Mt. Paektu in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, has been reconstructed on an expansion basis.
- National Meeting Celebrates February 16 KCNA 16 Feb 2006 -- A national meeting to celebrate February 16 took place at the April 25 House of Culture Wednesday.
- 10th Kimjongilia Festival Opens KCNA 16 Feb 2006 -- The 10th Kimjongilia Festival was inaugurated with splendor here.
- U.S. Invariable Attempt at Preemptive Nuclear Attack Assailed KCNA 16 Feb 2006 -- The U.S. Bush administration in a "defense review report" published by the Defense Department shortly ago singled out the military operation against "terrorist organizations and rogue states" as an important military strategic task and disclosed the plan to drastically bolster up special military force to this end.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Performance Given by Russian Military Band KCNA 16 Feb 2006 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Il, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission, Wednesday enjoyed a performance given by the central military band of the Defence Ministry of Russia on a visit to the DPRK.
- Weekly on North Korea (Feb.10-16, 2006) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Patriotic Movement KCNA 15 Feb 2006 -- To dynamically conduct the three-point patriotic movement is a shortcut to advancing the vigorous movement for independent reunification this year to open a new turn in the cause of reunification, says Rodong Sinmun Tuesday in a signed article
- Unity and Solidarity among Developing Countries Called for KCNA 15 Feb 2006 -- For the developing countries to strengthen unity and cooperation is one of the basic conditions for achieving political stability and national prosperity as required by the developing reality.
- 15th Festival of Loyalty of Youth and Children Opens KCNA 15 Feb 2006 -- The 15th festival of loyalty of youth and children across the country has opened on the occasion of the greatest auspicious national holiday of February.
- Rally Held in Secret Camp in Mt. Paektu to Mark February Holiday KCNA 14 Feb 2006 -- A rally was held in the secret camp in Mt. Paektu, a holy place of the revolution, on Feb. 12 to celebrate February 16.
- Kimjongilia Exhibition of Ministry of People's Armed Forces Opens KCNA 13 Feb 2006 -- A Kimjongilia exhibition of the Ministry of the People's Armed Forces was opened on the occasion of the significant holiday of February.
- KCNA Blasts U.S. Gimmick to Evade Responsibility for Deadlocked Talks KCNA 13 Feb 2006 -- The United States is now busy floating fictions of "smuggling of fake cigarettes" and "smuggling of drugs" in a bid to achieve a sinister purpose, not content with peddling the lie about "counterfeit notes."
- Poster for Kimjongilia Festival Published in DPRK KCNA 13 Feb 2006 -- A poster for the 10th Kimjongilia Festival to be held on the occasion of February 16, the most auspicious holiday of the Korean nation, was published.
- National Art Exhibition Opens KCNA 13 Feb 2006 -- A national art exhibition to celebrate February 16 was opened.
- S. Korean Authorities' Dangerous Tie-up with Outside Forces under Fire KCNA 13 Feb 2006 -- It was recently disclosed that the south Korean authorities decided to participate in the U.S.-led "non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD)" exercises.
- Weekly on North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service Feb. 6 - Feb. 12, 2006
- Truth about Atomic Artillery Pieces in U.S. Forces in S. Korea Disclosed KCNA 11 Feb 2006 -- It was disclosed that the U.S. forces in south Korea were equipped with atomic artillery pieces capable of firing smaller nukes late in the 1950s, according to the south Korean KBS.
- S. Korea's New N. Korea Policy Chief Stresses Economic Cooperation VOA 10 Feb 2006 -- South Korea has formally appointed a new chief of North Korea policy, despite a controversy among lawmakers over his credentials
- School Youth and Children Vow Loyalty to Kim Jong Il KCNA 10 Feb 2006 -- A national meeting of school youth and children took place in front of the old home of leader Kim Jong Il in the secret camp in Mt. Paektu on Feb. 8 on the occasion of the auspicious February holiday.
- National Seminar on Undying Feats of Kim Jong Il Held KCNA 10 Feb 2006 -- A national seminar on the immortal feats performed by leader Kim Jong Il in the building of a great prosperous powerful nation with his Songun revolutionary leadership took place at the People's Palace of Culture on Feb. 8.
- S. Korean Military Authorities Urged to Clarify Its Stand KCNA 10 Feb 2006 -- The defence minister of south Korea talked about "a strong army," revealing the intention to go ahead with south Korea-U.S. joint military exercises aimed at attacking the north though the nation lives in the June 15 era of reunification.
- DPRK-Japan Inter-governmental Talks Held KCNA 10 Feb 2006 -- The DPRK-Japan inter-governmental talks for the normalization of their relations took place in Beijing from Feb. 4 to 8, 2006.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman Urges U.S. to Make Policy Switchover KCNA 10 Feb 2006 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA today in connection with the fact that the United States is attempting to shift the responsibility for the stalled six-party talks on to the DPRK
- S. Korean Authorities' Projected War Exercises under Fire KCNA 09 Feb 2006 -- Some days ago, the minister of Defence of south Korea at a regular press conference blustered that it would go ahead as planned with all the exercises scheduled for this year as well as the joint military exercises with the U.S. due in upcoming March, talking about "training" and strong army" at a time when the hard-won north-south military authorities' talks are at hand.
- Public Presentation on Greatness of Kim Jong Il Held KCNA 09 Feb 2006 -- A public presentation on the greatness of Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Il was held by the Ministry of the People's Armed Forces at the April 25 House of Culture on Feb. 7 on the occasion of the February holiday.
- National Meeting of Activists of UAWK Held KCNA 09 Feb 2006 -- A national meeting of activists of the Union of Agricultural Workers of Korea (UAWK) took place at the People's Palace of Culture on Feb. 7.
- Nationwide Struggle to Defend Peace Called for KCNA 09 Feb 2006 -- The present tense situation on the Korean Peninsula where the danger of a new war is growing as the days go by requires all the Koreans at home and abroad to turn out as one in the struggle to protect peace from war, observes Rodong Sinmun
- New Stamps Issued in DPRK KCNA 09 Feb 2006 -- The Korea Stamp Corporation has issued a separate stamp and a sheetlet reflecting plants growing in Mt. Paektu area on the occasion of the auspicious February holiday, the birthday of leader Kim Jong Il.
- Weekly on North Korea (Feb.3-Feb.9, 2006) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Japan, North Korea End Talks with No Agreement on Kidnappings Issue VOA 08 Feb 2006 -- Japan and North Korea have wrapped up their latest round of talks on normalizing relations without an agreement on the emotional issue of Japanese nationals abducted by the North.
- U.S. Test-fire of Interceptor Missile Disclosed KCNA 08 Feb 2006 -- Voice of People, an Internet broadcasting service in south Korea, disclosed the fact that the Missile Defense Agency of the U.S. Department of Defense recently test-fired an interceptor missile targeted against the DPRK.
- U.S. Military Actions for Preemptive Nuclear Attack Assailed KCNA 08 Feb 2006 -- The United States is keen on collecting and analyzing information about "enemy states" including the DPRK and China and screwing up regional tensions while staging joint military exercises around the Korean Peninsula and in the Asia-Pacific region after announcing its plan for the study and manufacture of long-distance bombers of the next generation, bombers mainly targeted on China.
- India Donates Rice to DPRK KCNA 08 Feb 2006 -- A ceremony of conveying 2,000 tons of rice donated by the Indian government to the DPRK took place at Nampho Port on Feb. 7.
- South Korean Delegation Here KCNA 08 Feb 2006 -- delegation of the south Korean "Institute for Policy Studies" led by Director Rim Chae Jong arrived here on Feb. 7. I
- North Korea, Japan Still far Apart on Issue of Abducted Japanese VOA 07 Feb 2006 -- Japan and North Korea say their talks in Beijing this week are making little progress in resolving an impasse over North Korea's abductions of Japanese nationals during the Cold War.
- Preparatory Work for Kimjongilia Festival at Full Swing KCNA 07 Feb 2006 -- The preparatory work for the 10th Kimjongilia Festival to be held on the occasion of the February holiday, the birthday of leader Kim Jong Il, is going on with a swing in different parts of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects KPA Unit KCNA 07 Feb 2006 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Il, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK, inspected KPA Unit 1687.
- Appeal of Joint Meeting of DPRK Government, Political Parties and Organizations Supported KCNA 06 Feb 2006 -- To keep the surging atmosphere of promoting national concord and unity is very important in launching a powerful patriotic campaign for great national unity this year to activate the movement for independent reunification, says Rodong Sinmun Sunday in a signed article.
- Dismantlement of "UN Command" Demanded KCNA 06 Feb 2006 -- The U.S. is keen to justify its forces' presence in south Korea and increase its influence in Northeast Asia by ceaselessly putting up the worn-out signboard of the "UN Command."
- DPRK Delegation Leaves for Talks with Japan KCNA 06 Feb 2006 -- DPRK government delegation led by Song Il Ho, ambassador in charge of DPRK-Japan talks of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, left here today for Beijing to attend the DPRK-Japan intergovernmental talks for the normalization of bilateral relations.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Field Guidance to Work in Various Fields of Kanggye City KCNA 06 Feb 2006 -- Kim Jong Il, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission, gave on-the-spot guidance to the work in various fields of Kanggye City.
- Weekly on North Korea ROK National Intelligence Service Jan. 30 - Feb. 5, 2006
- KCNA Urges Japan to Honestly Approach DPRK-Japan Inter-governmental Talks KCNA 04 Feb 2006 -- We draw attention to the fact that the conservatives within the Japanese government are making remarks getting on the nerves of the DPRK in the run-up to the DPRK-Japan inter-governmental talks for the normalization of their relations.
- Japan, North Korea Reopen Talks on Normalizing Relations VOA 04 Feb 2006 -- After a four-year gap, Japan and North Korea have reopened negotiations on normalizing diplomatic ties.
- Koreas Agree to Resume Top-Level Military Talks VOA 03 Feb 2006 -- In a move aimed at decreasing military tension, North and South Korean military officials say generals from the two countries will soon resume talks.
- Kim Jong Il's Songun Revolutionary Leadership Feats Hailed KCNA 03 Feb 2006 -- The Songun leadership exploits of the Workers' Party of Korea serve as a valuable treasure that makes it possible for Korean-style socialism to prosper forever along the road of independence.
- South Korean Spy Agency Finds 'No Evidence' North Korea is Counterfeiting US Dollars VOA 02 Feb 2006 -- A South Korean lawmaker has quoted intelligence officials as saying they have no evidence North Korea has recently counterfeited U.S. dollars.
- DPRK-Japan Inter-governmental Talks to be Held KCNA 02 Feb 2006 -- The DPRK-Japan inter-governmental talks for the normalization of bilateral relations are to be held in Beijing from Feb. 4.
- Further Momentum to Cause of National Reunification Called for KCNA 02 Feb 2006 -- It is of weighty significance that the joint New Year editorial called for making it a tradition to grandly commemorate June 15 when the historic north-south joint declaration was adopted as the "Day of by our nation itself." Rodong Sinmun Wednesday says this in a signed article.
- Full Play to Might of Single-minded Unity Called for KCNA 02 Feb 2006 -- Rodong Sinmun today editorially calls for bringing about a greater leap forward in building a great prosperous powerful socialist nation with the might of single-minded unity, rallied close around the headquarters of the revolution.
- Weekly on North Korea (Jan. 20-Feb.2, 2006) ROK Ministry of Unification
- U.S. Ceaseless Aerial Espionage against DPRK under Fire KCNA 01 Feb 2006 -- The U.S. imperialists committed more than 190 cases of aerial espionage against the DPRK in January by mobilizing strategic and tactical reconnaissance planes with diverse missions, according to military sources.
- U.S. Urged to Remove Hurdle Lying in Way of Six-Party Talks KCNA 01 Feb 2006 -- A spokesman for the White House of the United States was reported to have recently urged the DPRK to abandon and dismantle its nuclear program first, adding this principle of the U.S. remains very clear.
- Intensified Worldwide Struggle for Independence Urged KCNA 01 Feb 2006 -- It is a primary task for building an independent new world to protect independence.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list