21 September 2011 Military News
- Obama: Tide of War Receding at ‘Crossroads of History’ AFPS 21 Sep 2011 -- “The tide of war is receding” as the United States draws down forces in both Iraq and Afghanistan, poised to end both conflicts from a position of strength.
- Force Kills Taliban Leader, Detains Insurgents AFPS 21 Sep 2011 -- Afghan and coalition forces killed a Taliban leader and several insurgents, detained others and seized weapons throughout Afghanistan.
- US Presses Pakistan for Action on Haqqani Network VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- One issue has topped the agenda in meetings between high-level U.S. and Pakistani officials: How to deal with the Haqqani network.
- Pakistan, US spy chiefs discuss Haqqani network IRNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Pakistan’s spy chief Lt. General Ahmed Shuja Pasha visited Washington quietly for a one day visit to meet with his CIA counterpart.
- C-130Js improve Bagram's airlift, airdrop capabilities AFNS 21 Sep 2011 -- The 774th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron recently filled its ranks with C-130J Hercules aircraft and aircrews as two new units joined the squadron.
- Rabbani's Life And Death Reflect Afghanistan's Troubled Politics RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- Burhanuddin Rabbani was one of a generation of Afghan leaders to define and reflect his country's violent history over the last 40 years.
- Afghans Reel After Assassination Of Ex-President Rabbani RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has cut short his visit to the UN General Assembly in New York to return to Kabul to deal with potential turmoil after the assassination of former President Burhanuddin Rabbani.
- Afghans Protest Killing of Former President VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Hundreds of Afghans gathered Wednesday to protest the killing of former Afghan president and peace negotiator Burhanuddin Rabbani at his home in Kabul.
- Training Afghan bomb disposal teams NATO 21 Sep 2011 -- As they headed to a training session across a dusty, grassy field in Mazar-e-Sharif, the most eagle-eyed member of the group noticed a wire sticking out of the ground.
- 67th Armor Soldiers train Afghan police to detect IEDs Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- Soldiers assigned to the Afghan Local Police training detachment with D/1-67th Armor conducted an improvised explosive device lane at Joint Combat Outpost Masaw, Afghanistan, Sept. 15.
- US Agrees to Limit Troops in Pakistan VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- The United States has agreed to limit the number of military personnel stationed in Pakistan.
- US cuts forces in Pakistan RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Islamabad and Washington have agreed to more than halve the number of U.S. troops on Pakistani territory.
- Pakistani Army Commander Wounded In Militant Attack RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- The army commander in Pakistan's northwestern Swat Valley has been injured after his helicopter came under fire.
- Top Pakisran army general 'injured' in helicopter firing IRNA 21 Sep 2011 -- A senior Pakistan army officer was slightly injured when unidenfied men fired at his helicopter in northwest of the country.
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 20 Sep 2011
- NATO Secretary General statement on NAC decision to extend Libya mission NATO 21 Sep 2011
- NATO Extends Operations in Libya AFPS 21 Sep 2011 -- NATO will extend its security mission in Libya to protect civilians there against continued threats, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen announced today.
- RAF destroys command and control facilities in Libya UK MOD 21 Sep 2011 -- RAF Tornados destroyed command and control facilities of pro-Gaddafi forces in Libya before launching successful strikes on armoured vehicles and anti-aircraft artillery.
- Report: US Building Drone Bases in Africa, Arabian Peninsula VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- The US is reported to be expanding a secret drone program in east Africa and the Arabian peninsula.
- U.S., Partners Continue to Pursue al-Qaida AFPS 21 Sep 2011 -- The U.S. government is committed to pursuing al-Qaida and its military allies around the world and works closely with international partners.
- Ali Base Airmen help U.S. forces transit Iraq AFNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Aerial porters and Airmen from the 407th Air Expeditionary Group's passenger terminal at Ali Base are preparing for an increase in passengers and cargo.
- Iraq To Open Center To Identify Hussein-Era Remains RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- Iraq's Human Rights Ministry has decided to create a center tasked with identifying bodies found in Saddam Hussein-era mass graves.
- Iraqi Foreign Minister Sees Country on 'Right Path' VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Speaking to the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, Iraq’s foreign minister says his country is headed in the right direction.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Noda of Japan before Bilateral Meeting The White House 21 Sep 2011
- Russia not dramatizing situation with U.S. missile shield deals RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Russia is concerned over U.S. plans on the deployment of its missile shield elements in Romania and Turkey.
- Global Strike Commander: Advocate for nuclear deterrence, global strike AFNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Lt. Gen. Jim Kowalski discussed the importance of championing the nuclear enterprise.
- Program Promotes Maritime Surveillance of Small Vessels AFPS 21 Sep 2011 -- Quest to halt proliferation and prevent weapons of mass destruction from falling into enemy hands.
- Air Force Under Secretary stresses innovation amidst rough fiscal waters AFNS 21 Sep 2011 -- The innovative ideas and creativity of the Air Force's military and civilian workforce are critical to the service's ability to excel in a budget-constrained environment.
- Mullen: Relationships Key to Preventing Conflict AFPS 21 Sep 2011 -- Adm. Mike Mullen called ties between national leaders and their foreign counterparts key to preventing misunderstanding and, ultimately, conflict.
- USAFE commander highlights US, NATO partnership AFNS 21 Sep 2011 -- The commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe shared his views on the evolution of the partnership between U.S. and European Airmen.
- Sept. 20, 2011 - Chief of Staff of the Army address to Conference of European Armies Army News 21 Sep 2011
- Air Forces Africa commander shares challenges, concerns AFNS 21 Sep 2011 -- The 17th Air Force and U.S. Air Forces Africa commander discussed Africa operations during the Air Force Association's 2011 Air & Space Conference and Technology Exposition here Sept. 20.
- F-35B Test Pilots Start Certifying for Initial Ship Trials NNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Four F-35B test pilots started the first steps in qualifying to land the F-35B on a deck at sea Sept. 14.
- Chinook turns 50 and looks towards future Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- The cargo aircraft celebrated its 50th year of flight with the U.S. Army Sept. 21 during the opening ceremony of a renovated Boeing Company CH-47 Chinook factory in Ridley Park, Pa.
- Gray Eagle Takes Off With New Capabilities Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- During the first Gray Eagle deployment, Iraqi residents were going to the polls to vote.
- Kiowa Flies High With Unmanned Aircraft Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- Kiowa helicopter units deploying to theater will soon have another combat tool that will up their battle game.
- Redstone Organization Reaches Out For Airspace Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- Remoteness from everyday life made Dugway a good place for flying unmanned aircraft systems.
- Black Hawk Helicopter Helps Reinforce Borders Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- The United States and its borders are safer today thanks to the hard work of the Utility Helicopters Project Office.
- NAVFAC Southeast Explores Technology Alternatives for Aerial Surveys NNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southeast participated in a demonstration of a remote controlled airplane for use in an aerial survey of property.
- Seabee MUSE Technicians Add Uninterrupted Power Supply Capability NNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Seabee Mobile Utilities Support Equipment technicians added Uninterrupted Power Supply training to their skillset.
- 255th Signal Detachment Inactivates Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- The colors of 5th Signal Command's 255th Signal Detachment were cased on Wiesbaden Army Airfield, signifying the inactivation of 255th Signal Detachment.
- Essex ARG Departs for Western Pacific Patrol NNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Ships of the forward-deployed Essex Amphibious Ready Group departed Sasebo, Japan Sept. 21 to begin a patrol of the Western Pacific region.
- Samuel B. Roberts Wraps Up Mission for APS East NNS 21 Sep 2011 -- USS Samuel B. Roberts made a port visit to Tanzania, Sept. 19-21 to participate in the Africa Partnership StationEast 2011 Hotwash closing conference.
- Task Force Bragg's ACP battle tracks JOAX, validates readiness capability Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- Task Force Bragg's Assault Command Post took part in a Joint Operational Access Exercise near Sicily Drop Zone Sept. 11-12.
- Death from below: 2nd LAAD practices what they preach USMC News 21 Sep 2011 -- For the last decade Marines have fought against terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan with battles primarily fought on the ground.
- NECC Showcases Assets for Southern Command NNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command, U.S. 4th Fleet, visited Navy Expeditionary Combat Command, Sept. 19 to meet with Sailors from the expeditionary community and view capabilities of the expeditionary force.
- NMCB 133 Builds Relationships in Korea NNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 133 Detachment Chinhae aboard Commander, Fleet Activities Chinhae (CFAC) volunteered time restoring the Goseong Orphanage in Goseong, Republic of Korea, Sept. 17.
- 75th Division conducts Zanzibar exercise as part of Natural Fire 11 Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- Twenty-five members of the 5th Brigade of the 75th Division from California recently participated in Natural Fire 11, a bilateral, multinational exercise held in Zanzibar, Tanzania.
- BRAC falls into place Army News 21 Sep 2011 -- Years of planning, along with a few billion dollars in renovations and construction, officially came to fruition as the Maneuver Center of Excellence met the Base Realignment and Closure deadline for full operating capacity.
- NAVFAC Southwest Awards $9 Million Task Order NNS 21 Sep 2011 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southwest awarded a task order within a previously awarded multiple awarded contract for the design and construction of operation access points at Camp Pendleton.
- Report Examines Lower Body Blast Injuries AFPS 21 Sep 2011 -- The Army Surgeon General’s Office released its report on dismounted complex blast injuries, which more than twice as many service members have suffered annually since the 2009 troop surge in Afghanistan.
- Deadline to Apply for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay Nears DoD 21 Sep 2011
- Pentagon to recommend Taiwan buy F-35B, AV-8B fighters CNA 21 Sep 2011 -- A U.S. Defense Department study has concluded that Taiwan should buy short-takeoff and vertical-landing jets.
- Notification of U.S. arms package details yet to be received: MND CNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Taiwan has yet to receive a detailed notification of the content of the arms package the United States is willing to sell it.
- U.S. government notifies Congress on arms sale to Taiwan CNA 21 Sep 2011 -- The United States government formally notified Congress of its intent to sell Taiwan military equipment and services worth an estimated US$5.85 billion.
- 2011 U.S. arms sales to Taiwan match levels of past years: AIT chair CNA 21 Sep 2011 -- The quantity and composition of weapons to be sold by the United States to Taiwan in 2011 will not fall below the levels of previous years.
- Cross-strait undersea cable to pose no national security concerns CNA 21 Sep 2011 -- The undersea cable that telecom operators across the Taiwan Strait plan to build to link the two sides will pose no national security concerns to Taiwan.
- Proton-M successfully puts military purpose spacecraft into orbit RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Russia's Proton-M carrier rocket successfully put a military satellite into orbit.
- Russia to refit nuclear missile cruisers RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is planning to refit three mothballed nuclear-powered Kirov-class missile cruisers.
- Iran produces advanced combat helicopter: official IRNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Iran is producing advanced combat helicopters for the aviation service of the ground forces.
- Serbian Military Call-Up Notices Spark Sharp Backlash RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- Serbs are expressing alarm at reports that the Defense Ministry is distributing notices telling people to join the military reserves and report for basic training.
- Nuclear safety and security high on the agenda at upcoming UN events UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- World leaders will convene at United Nations Headquarters this week to discuss how to advance this goal as well as to promote the entry into force of the treaty that bans all nuclear testing.
- Ukrainian leader calls for security assurances for non-nuclear States UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- President of Ukraine: World should move towards gradual and irreversible nuclear disarmament.
- Kazakhstan's Nazarbaev Calls For Nuclear Weapon Curbs RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- President Nazarbaev of Kazakhstan has called for stronger efforts to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and reduce stockpiles.
- DoD News: Contracts for September 21, 2011
- Boeing-led Team Delivers 1st Peace Eye AEW&C Aircraft to Republic of Korea Air Force Boeing 21 Sep 2011 -- A team led by Boeing today delivered the first Peace Eye 737 Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) aircraft to the Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF).
- Boeing, US Army Celebrate $130 Million Investment in CH-47 Chinook Production Facility Boeing 21 Sep 2011 -- The Boeing Company and the U.S. Army celebrated the opening of the newly renovated H-47 Chinook manufacturing facility today. The event coincided with the 50th anniversary of the H-47 Chinook's first flight.
- General Dynamics to Acquire Metro Machine Corp. General Dynamics 21 Sep 2011 -- General Dynamics has entered an agreement to acquire MetroMachine Corp., a leading East Coast surface-ship repair company that supports the U.S. Navy fleet in Norfolk, Va.
- Lockheed Martin Delivers 400th HIMARS Launcher to U.S. Army Lockheed Martin 21 Sep 2011 -- The U.S. Army and Lockheed Martin marked the delivery of the 400th High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) during ceremonies today at the company's Camden, Ark., manufacturing facility.
- Lockheed Martin Receives $49.9 Million Production Contract for Marine Corps Targeting System Lockheed Martin 21 Sep 2011 -- Lockheed Martin received a $49.9 million follow-on production contract from the Naval Surface Warfare Center for the Target Sight System (TSS), the fire control system for the U.S. Marine Corps' AH-1Z Cobra attack helicopter.
- Lockheed Martin Submits Bid for EQ-36 Radar Production Lockheed Martin 21 Sep 2011 -- Lockheed Martin has submitted its contract proposal for full-rate production of a new U.S. Army radar that provides soldiers in combat with enhanced 360-degree protection from rockets, mortars and artillery.
- Sagem to modernize navigation system on South Korea's KSS-1 submarines Sagem (Safran group) 21 Sep 2011 -- After a hard-fought international competition, Sagem (Safran group) was chosen by the South Korean Defense Ministry's Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) to modernize the navigation system on the navy's KSS-1 class Chang Bogo submarines.
- ATK Spacecraft Bus Contributes to Significant ORS-1 Milestone ATK 21 Sep 2011 -- ATK joins the U.S. Air Force in marking a significant milestone for the Department of Defense's Operationally Responsive Space-1 (ORS-1) satellite. The space vehicle was declared fully operational on Friday, September 16th, 2011 by the U.S. Air Force Space Command at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado following successful on-orbit deployment and checkout of all systems.
- General Dynamics Receives FCC License for Communication Satellite Access Using Vehicle-based SATCOM Terminals General Dynamics 21 Sep 2011 -- General Dynamics SATCOM Technologies has received a license from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) enabling continuous access to private- and government-owned communication satellites while on-the-move in vehicles
- Northrop Grumman Receives Systems Engineering Contract for Missile Defense Agency's Precision Tracking Space System Northrop Grumman 21 Sep 2011 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation has received a contract from the Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a division of The Johns Hopkins University, to perform manufacturing and production readiness systems engineering for the U.S. Missile Defense Agency's (MDA) Precision Tracking Space System (PTSS).
- Remarks by President Obama in Address to the United Nations General Assembly The White House 21 Sep 2011
- Remarks by President Obama and U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon in Luncheon Toasts The White House 21 Sep 2011
- Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Cameron of the United Kingdom The White House 21 Sep 2011
- Remarks by President Obama and President Sarkozy of France The White House 21 Sep 2011
- Finnish leader calls for enhanced UN role in mediation of conflicts UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- United Nations capabilities in conflict mediation must be strengthened to give the world body a greater role in the prevention and settlement of disputes.
- Home-grown methods of mediation work best, Rwanda tells General Assembly UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- Conflict mediation efforts will be far more successful if they are home-grown and harness the capacities of young people and regional groups or institutions, Rwandan President Paul Kagame told the opening of the General Assembly’s annual general debate today.
- Libya: Ban discusses cooperation with NATO in restoring peace UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban has discussed UN cooperation with the NATO in Libya with the head of the alliance.
- Libya's Provisional Authority Claims Another Gadhafi Stronghold VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Provisional authority officials in Libya say their forces have taken control of most of the southern desert city of Sabha.
- Interim Libyan Prime Minister Pledges New Cabinet Within 10 Days RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- The PM in Libya's National Transitional Council says he now hopes a new Libyan government will be formed within 10 days.
- 3 Killed After Cease-Fire Announced in Yemen VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Three people were killed Wednesday in fresh violence in the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, less than 24 hours after pro- and anti-government forces negotiated a cease-fire.
- Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel before Bilateral Meeting The White House 21 Sep 2011
- Jordan’s king, at UN, calls for major push towards peace in the Middle East UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- King Abdullah II of Jordan called for a vigorous international push with concrete steps to end the Middle East crisis based on the two-State solution of Israel and Palestine living side by side in peace.
- France: Palestine should become observer State at UN UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- Palestine should become an observer State at the United Nations as an intermediate step towards becoming a full Member State.
- France Offers Palestinian Statehood Compromise at UN VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- France offered a compromise at the United Nations aimed at heading off a confrontation over plans by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to seek U.N. recognition of Palestinian statehood.
- EU Divided on Palestinian State UN Recognition VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- As diplomats scramble to avert a Palestinian request for full United Nations recognition this week, the European Union remains deeply divided on the issue.
- Possible US Veto Against Palestinian Statehood Bid at UN Debated VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- The United States says it will veto in the United Nations Security Council any attempt by the Palestinians for full U.N. membership.
- Obama Makes UN Plea to Delay Palestinian Statehood Bid VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is pressing Israeli and Palestinian leaders to get both sides to return to peace talks ahead of a United Nations showdown over a Palestinian bid for statehood.
- Obama urges more talks ahead of Palestinian statehood bid RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama called on UN members to focus their efforts on encouraging direct negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians to achieve Middle East peace.
- Obama: Only Negotiated Solution For Israel And Palestine RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has repeated his call for Palestinian leaders to seek a negotiated solution with Israel.
- Obama: 'No Shortcut' to Israel-Palestinian Peace VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama told the U.N. General Assembly Wednesday there can be "no shortcut" to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Palestinian leader updates General Assembly chief as statehood bid nears UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- The General Assembly President and the President of the Palestinian Authority have held talks focusing on the Palestinians’ imminent move to apply for full membership at the United Nations.
- Ban urges Israel’s Netanyahu to act with wisdom and restraint on Palestinian UN bid UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban called on Israeli PM Netanyahu to act with responsibility, wisdom and restraint towards the Palestinians’ approach to the United Nations.
- Obama To Meet Israeli, Palestinian Leaders RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- President Barack Obama is due to meet in New York with the Palestinian and Israeli leaders as the United States continues diplomatic efforts to avoid an international confrontation.
- Israeli PM Netanyahu flies to New York to address UN General Assembly RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu departed to address the UN General Assembly on the issue of the Palestinian independence.
- Palestinian Authority vows no new intifada against Israel RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- The Palestinian authorities will do everything possible to avoid escalating tensions with Israel even if their bid for statehood is rejected by the UN Security Council.
- Israel has yet to fully comply with UN resolution, Lebanese leader tells UN debate UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- The President of Lebanon called on the international community to put pressure on Israel to carry out the provisions of the United Nations resolution that ended that country’s war with Hizbollah five years ago.
- Turkey to beef up naval forces in East Mediterranean RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Turkey will step up its naval presence in East Mediterranean to head off Israeli measures against aid convoys to Gaza.
- Tension Escalates Between Turkey and Kurds VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Turkey is continuing to amass soldiers on the Iraqi border ahead of an expected incursion against bases of the Kurdish rebel group, the PKK.
- SOMALIA: "Lives before politics" IRIN 21 Sep 2011 -- Twenty aid agencies issued an open letter on 21 September urging the international community to "put people’s lives before politics if [we are] to stand any chance of aiding people suffering from the famine in Somalia".
- BURUNDI: An escalation, not an anomaly IRIN 21 Sep 2011 -- The massacre of 41 people in a bar near Bujumbura on 18 September was one of the most deadly incidents in Burundi in recent years.
- AU's Slow Recognition of NTC Prompts Calls for Reform VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- The African Union has finally recognized Libya's National Transitional Council, dealing another blow to ousted leader Moammar Gadhafi.
- G8 Pledges Support For 'Arab Spring' Transition RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- Foreign ministers of the Group of Eight major industrialized nations have pledged to quickly supply economic and political aid to Arab-led governments as they move toward democratic reforms.
- Western media biased on Syria conflict – Russian delegation head RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Western media outlets are not reporting the true situation in Syria, the head of a delegation of Russian lawmakers said.
- SYRIA: New report indicates over 5,000 deaths since March IRIN 21 Sep 2011 -- Twice as many people have allegedly been killed in Syria since uprising began six months ago than the current UN estimate.
- Turkey Considers Sanctions Against Syria VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Turkey says it has suspended talks with Syria and is considering imposing sanctions against the neighboring country for its crackdown.
- Obama, Erdogan Agree To 'Increase Pressure' On Syrian Regime RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- The White House says U.S. President Barack Obama and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan have agreed to "increase pressure" on Syria.
- Obama urges UN to impose sanctions against Syria RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama urged the UN Security Council to impose sanctions against Syria over its crackdown on opposition protesters.
- Bahrain: Secretary-General discusses recent unrest with senior official UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban met with a top Bahraini official to discuss his Government’s efforts to restore stability to the small Gulf country.
- Bahraini Students Uncertain Over Future VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Students who support the nation’s pro-democracy movement say various obstacles are preventing them from entering the classroom.
- Statement from the President on the Release of Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal The White House 21 Sep 2011
- Secretary Clinton Remarks on Release of Shane Bauer and Joshua Fattal US Dept. of State 21 Sep 2011
- Two freed US nationals leave Tehran for Muscat IRNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Two US nationals jailed for spying charges in Iran and released on bail, left Tehran for Omani capital city of Muscat.
- U.S. Men Released From Iran Jail Arrive In Oman RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- Two U.S. men who were released from an Iranian prison after being held for more than two years have landed in the Omani capital of Muscat, where they were reunited with their families.
- US Hikers in Iran Released VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Iran has released two American men convicted of espionage, ending a case that had worsened U.S.-Iranian relations for more than two years.
- Two US nationals released in Iran RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- Two Americans convicted of spying in Iran were released in a $1 million bail-for-freedom deal on Tuesday.
- Iran releases two US nationals on bail deal ISNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Iranian Judiciary released the two US nationals arrested due to illegal entry into Iranian soil on Wednesday.
- Iran parliament passes generalities of act on sanctioning US officials ISNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Iranian Parliament approved general principles of an act to impose sanctions on some US officials.
- Koreas fail again to agree terms for nuclear talks restart RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2011 -- The chief nuclear envoys for North and South Korea met in Beijing but failed to agree on a possible revival of the stalled six-nation talks.
- North, South Korean Envoys Open Nuclear Talks in Beijing VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Nuclear negotiators from North and South Korea sat down in China's capital Wednesday for their second round of talks in two months.
- Lao President Feted by WPK Central Committee KCNA 21 Sep 2011 -- The Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea gave a reception to welcome the DPRK visit by Choummaly Sayasone, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Lao People's Revolutionary Party and president of Laos.
- Lao President Arrives KCNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Choummaly Sayasone, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Lao People's Revolutionary Party and president of the Lao People's Democratic Republic, arrived on his official goodwill visit to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- DPRK Leading Newspapers Welcome Lao President's Official Goodwill Visit to DPRK KCNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Choummaly Sayasone, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Lao People's Revolutionary Party and president of Laos, is due to arrive in Pyongyang.
- Profile of Lao President KCNA 21 Sep 2011 -- Choummaly Saynasone was born in Attopu Province of Laos on June 3, 1936.
- Madagascar: Ban calls for full implementation of political road map UN News Centre 21 Sep 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the accord in Madagascar that is aimed at settling the country’s prolonged political crisis and called for the deal’s implementation so that free and fair elections can be staged soon.
- Serbian Premier Murder Convict Alleges High-Level Conspirators RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- Serb convicted of plotting the 2003 assassination of pro-Western Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic has named several high-ranking politicians as having knowledge of plans.
- Kyrgyz Opposition Leader Accused Of Meeting With Fugitive Bakiev RFE/RL 21 Sep 2011 -- A Kyrgyz presidential candidate has been accused in parliament of meeting with the fugitive brother of ousted President Kurmanbek Bakiev.
- Civil Society Group Hails ‘Well-Managed’ Zambia Vote VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- The Coalition of Civil Societies On Elections says it is satisfied with the conduct of yesterday’s general elections in Zambia.
- Zambians Await Election Results as Opposition Leader Takes Lead VOA 21 Sep 2011 -- Vote counting continues in Zambia from Tuesday's general elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|