20 September 2011 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 20 Sep 2011 [PDF]
- Afghan, Coalition Troops Detain Insurgents Across Afghanistan AFPS 20 Sep 2011 -- Afghan and coalition forces have captured numerous insurgent fighters throughout Afghanistan in recent days, and have killed several others in fire fights.
- Mullen: Troops Must Prepare For More Audacious Taliban Attacks RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- The head of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff said he believes that U.S. and Afghan troops must adapt their tactics to prepare for more audacious attacks by the Taliban.
- Remarks by President Obama and President Karzai of Afghanistan before Bilateral Meeting The White House 20 Sep 2011
- Obama, Karzai Vow Undeterred Effort in Afghanistan AFPS 20 Sep 2011 -- President Barack Obama and Afghan President Hamid Karzai vowed that progress toward a peaceful and prosperous Afghanistan will continue undeterred.
- Hot shots: TF Centaur fires control delivers heat Army News 20 Sep 2011 -- Soldiers have fired more than 1,200 rounds at the enemy since arriving in eastern Afghanistan nine months ago.
- Refresh and Refurb: Doing more with less and liking it that way Army News 20 Sep 2011 -- Called the Refresh and Refurb program, or R2 for short, the program will take place over three years and LTF-4 will rebuild nine types of vehicles.
- Secretary Clinton Statement on Assassination of Afghanistan High Peace Council Head Professor Burhanuddin Rabbani US Dept. of State 20 Sep 2011
- Killing of Afghan Ex-President Raises New Doubts About War VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- A suicide bomber killed former Afghan President Burhanuddin Rabbani in Kabul on Tuesday.
- Afghanistan: UN strongly condemns assassination of former president UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan has voiced shock and sadness after learning of the deaths earlier today of Burhanuddin Rabbani and several colleagues in an apparent suicide attack.
- Afghan Peace Council Head Rabbani Killed RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- Afghan police say the chairman of the country's High Peace Council, former President Burhanuddin Rabbani, has been killed in a suicide attack at his home in Kabul.
- Afghan Former President and Peace Council Chief Killed VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Afghan police say a suicide attack has killed Burhanuddin Rabbani, the country's former president tasked with leading peace efforts with the Taliban.
- Afghan peace council head killed in attack RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2011 -- The head of the Afghan High Peace Council, former president Burhanuddin Rabbani, was killed on Tuesday in an attack at his home in Kabul.
- Panetta, Mullen to Pressure Pakistan on Terrorism AFPS 20 Sep 2011 -- Pentagon leaders emphasized today that they will continue to pressure Pakistan to keep insurgents there from spilling into Afghanistan.
- Outlawed group claims responsibility for pilgrims attack IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- A banned extremist group claimed responsibility for attack on a bus carrying Shiite Muslims in Pakistan.
- Gunmen attack bus of Shia pilgrims, kills 26 in Pakistan IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Unidentified gunmen Tuesday attacked a bus of Shia Muslims in Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province killing 26 pilgrims.
- Pakistan army kills 18 Taliban in tribal area IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Pakistani security forces bombed hideouts of suspected Taliban militants in Orakzai tribal region on Tuesday and killed 18 of them.
- Pakistani leaders condemn Karachi suicide attack IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Pakistani President, Asif Ali Zardari, strongly condemned a suicide car bomb attack on the house of a senior police investigation officer.
- Four die in blast in music CDs shops in Pakistan IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- A blast in a music CDs shops killed at least one person in the northwestern city of Peshawar Monday night.
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 19 Sep 2011
- Progress in Libya irreversible, NATO Secretary General says in New York NATO 20 Sep 2011 -- NATO is committed to continuing its mission in Libya for as long as threats against civilians endure.
- Panetta Begins Next-step Discussions with NATO Partners AFPS 20 Sep 2011 -- As Operation Unified Protector winds down in Libya, the Defense Department and its NATO partners have had early discussions about future roles in that embattled nation.
- NATO operation in Libya to continue - Obama RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2011 -- The NATO-led operation in Libya will continue until the defeat of forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi, U.S. President Barack Obama said.
- Defence Chief praises UK Forces on Libya mission UK MOD 20 Sep 2011 -- The Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir David Richards, has praised UK servicemen and women supporting operations over Libya.
- Second Sea Lord visits HMS Ocean UK MOD 20 Sep 2011 -- The Second Sea Lord, Vice Admiral Charles Montgomery, has visited HMS Ocean in the Mediterranean.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement by the President on the Repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell The White House 20 Sep 2011
- DOD News Briefing with Secretary Panetta and Adm. Mullen from the Pentagon DoD 20 Sep 2011
- Defense Leaders Laud Repeal, Return of ‘Equality’ AFPS 20 Sep 2011 -- The official end today of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law reflects the American values that military members uphold, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said today.
- 'Don't Ask' Repeal Gives Gay Activists Renewed Hope VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- The law banning homosexuals from openly serving in the U.S. military has been repealed, sparking celebrations among gay organizations.
- U.S. Military Gay Ban Formally Lifted RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- The U.S. ban on gays serving openly in America's armed forces has officially been lifted.
- Panetta: Budget Cuts Will Boost Risk to Nation at War AFPS 20 Sep 2011 -- Budget cuts create more risk for the military in a time of war, but the risk can be reduced by making decisions strategically and protecting core national security interests.
- Air Force will preserve 'core contributions' despite pressures, CSAF says AFNS 20 Sep 2011 -- Air Force leaders are focused on managing potential budget constraints so that the service can continue to provide its unique contributions to national security\.
- Balancing force top priority say senior Air Force leaders AFNS 20 Sep 2011 -- Finding the right balance of regular, Reserve and Guard forces is the key to future Air Force capabilities and budget cuts senior leaders said.
- Command chiefs address concerns, offer advice during AFA convention forum AFNS 20 Sep 2011 -- Issues affecting America's Airmen took center stage Sept. 19 during the Air Force Association's 2011 Air & Space Conference and Technology Exposition's Command Chief Master Sergeants Forum here Sept. 19.
- Mobility Air Forces provide wartime capability, humanitarian assistance AFNS 20 Sep 2011 -- The same machines that deliver critical capabilities to U.S. joint forces have also proven their mettle in humanitarian missions.
- 'Redhawk' readies Nevada Guard MPs for deployment Army News 20 Sep 2011 -- Soldiers from the 485th Military Police Company, Nevada Army National Guard were trained in the fundamentals of patrolling course here in preparation for deployment.
- USS Makin Island Completes COMPTUEX NNS 20 Sep 2011 -- The USS Makin Island returned to San Diego Sept. 16 after completing a 16-day Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX) off the coast of Southern California.
- Naval War College Supports Multinational War Game in Dominican Republic NNS 20 Sep 2011 -- Faculty from the U.S. Naval War College traveled to the Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Sept. 5-9, to lend their expertise at the 38th Inter-American War Game Closing Conference.
- Naval Postgraduate School Explores Next-level Telemedicine AFPS 20 Sep 2011 -- Studies being done at the Naval Postgraduate School here aim to take telemedicine to the next level.
- McHugh Cites Major Improvements at Arlington National Cemetery DoD 20 Sep 2011
- New process offers dynamic shift in acquisition tracking Army News 20 Sep 2011 -- Mission and Installation Contracting Command officials are shifting their strategic approach to Army acquisitions.
- Army seeks $7.1 billion in energy-related industry investment Army News 20 Sep 2011 -- The Army is hoping industry will be willing to invest as much as $7.1 billion dollars over ten years on installations to develop renewable energy projects.
- Local Contractor Awarded Contract at Blount Island Command NNS 20 Sep 2011 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southeast awarded a contract Sept. 16 to Sauer, Inc. of Jacksonville, Fla. for work at Marine Corps Support Facility Blount Island Command, Fla.
- Education Officials Seek Feedback to Shape Way Ahead AFPS 20 Sep 2011 -- Defense Department officials are inviting military and community members to share their thoughts on the quality and continuity of education in DOD schools and their suggestions for improvements.
- NATO signs first contracts for territorial missile defence NATO 20 Sep 2011 -- The NATO Active Layered Theatre Ballistic Missile Defence Programme Office contracted today with an industry team led by SAIC an effort worth 2.5 million Euro.
- Taiwan not yet notified of U.S. decision on arms deal CNA 20 Sep 2011 -- The Ministry of National Defense has not received any official notice of the US' final decision on the sale of F-16 C/D fighter jets to Taiwan.
- Upgraded F-16 A/Bs to have same quality as F-16 C/Ds: U.S. official CNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Taiwan would stand to gain 145 F-16 A/B fighter jets versus only 66 F-16 C/Ds if Washington chooses to upgrade Taiwan's F-16 fleet.
- Taiwan developing asymmetrical strategies to deal with China CNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Taiwan is developing "asymmetrical strategies" utilizing unconventional capabilities to counter China's military buildup.
- China launches first Fast Attack Craft for Pakistan IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- China on Tuesday successfully launched the first Fast Attack Craft (missile) being built for Pakistan Navy in the Chinese Xingang Shipyard in Tianjin.
- Iran's Naval-Gazing More Political Than Military RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- The Iranian Navy announced that its forces had foiled a hijacking attempt by eight boatloads of Somali pirates off the coast of Yemen earlier this month.
- British sailor jailed for submarine murder RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2011 -- A Royal Navy crewman who shot dead an officer and injured three other crewmen during in a drunken shooting spree has been sentenced.
- DoD News: Contracts for September 20, 2011
- BAE Systems Contracted For LHD Training BAE Systems 20 Sep 2011 -- BAE Systems has been engaged by the Commonwealth for the development and delivery of training for the Royal Australian Navy's (RAN) Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD) ships.
- Lockheed Martin F-35 Flight Test Progress Report Lockheed Martin 20 Sep 2011 -- Lockheed Martin's F-35 flight test program moves closer to reaching year-end milestones since the last update issued July 26.
- Lockheed Martin is Leveraging Satellite and Missile Defense Expertise on Precision Tracking Space System Team Lockheed Martin 20 Sep 2011 -- Lockheed Martin is leveraging its satellite and missile defense expertise on the Manufacturing and Production Readiness Integrated Systems Engineering Team for the Precision Tracking Space System (PTSS). PTSS will provide the U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA) with a space-based system for post-boost tracking of ballistic missile threats in a global infrastructure.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 20 September 2011 United Nations 20 Sep 2011
- Fact Sheet: Advancing U.S. Interests at the United Nations The White House 20 Sep 2011
- Secretary-General reaffirms UN’s support for Arab countries in transition UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- The UN will continue to assist Arab countries in political transition to help them develop strong democratic institutions and practices.
- Working together, UN and French-speaking States can advance Arab Spring – Ban UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban praised the role of French-speaking States and their cooperation with the UN in helping to advance the cause of democracy and human rights.
- Libya, Palestinian Statehood to Top UN General Assembly Agenda VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- The annual meeting of the U.N. General Assembly opens, with more than 100 world leaders gathered to discuss a wide range of issues.
- Human rights accords receive boost as annual UN treaty event opens UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- Ten conventions or protocols dealing with human rights received signatures or ratifications.
- Remarks by President Obama at High-Level Meeting on Libya The White House 20 Sep 2011
- Obama Hails 'New Chapter' For Libya At UN RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has hailed what he described as a "new chapter" for Libya following the fall of Muammar Qaddafi's regime.
- World’s countries pledge support for Libyan transition at UN summit UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- A United Nations summit in support of Libya backed the transition plans of the country’s new authorities and pledged their ongoing support.
- At UN, Nations Pledge Support to Libya's Transitional Leaders VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- President Obama pledged U.S. support for the new Libyan government and appealed to Moammar Gadhafi loyalists to lay down their arms and “join the new Libya.”
- US Calls Libya 'Lesson' in International Unity VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says his administration will support the people of Libya as they build a "free, democratic and prosperous" future.
- African Union Recognizes Libya's Transitional Gov't VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- The African Union has recognized Libya's National Transitional Council as the official representative of the Libyan people.
- Gadhafi Calls Libya Situation a 'Charade' VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- A new audio message from former Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi says what is happening in Libya is a "charade" aided by NATO airstrikes.
- Gaddafi dubs opposition takeover 'charade' RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2011 -- Deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi: Opposition forces that now control most of the country would falter once NATO support ended.
- Death Tolls Hits 60 As Yemeni Violence Continues RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- Rapidly escalating street battles between opponents of Yemen's regime and forces loyal to its embattled president spread to the home districts of senior government officials in Sanaa.
- 9 Killed in Clashes in Yemen's Capital VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- At least nine people have been killed in Yemen's capital, Sana'a, where security forces have been clashing with dissident troops and protesters.
- Germany condemns government violence in Yemen IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- The German government here on Monday condemned the latest escalation of violence in Yemen.
- President Obama Faces Palestinian Dilemma at UN VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- The Palestinians are demanding admission as a member-state of the United Nations this week.
- Obama Has High Stakes in Mideast Showdown at UN VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Palestinian efforts to seek full membership in the United Nations are being closely watched in the United States by two ethnic communities.
- Israelis, Palestinians Brace for UN Statehood Debate VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Palestinian leaders say they are frustrated by the lack of progress in the peace negotiations with Israel.
- Palestinians Won't Stop Statehood Drive VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Palestinian leaders plan to ask the world body for full status as a state, though that has already been assured a block by the United States.
- Israel Seeks Talks Re-Launch As Palestinians Push UN Bid RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- Israeli M Netanyahu says he wants to meet with Palestinian National Authority President Mahmud Abbas to relaunch "direct" peace negotiations.
- Diplomats Try To Defuse Confrontation Over Palestinian UN Bid RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- Diplomats have been meeting in New York in a bid to avert an international confrontation over a Palestinian bid for membership of the United Nations.
- Abbas Pushes Ahead With UN Bid for Palestinian State VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is holding meetings with French President Nicolas Sarkozy and British Foreign Secretary William Hague.
- Abbas refuses to meet Israeli PM without agreement on terms for peace process RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2011 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas will not meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu until he agrees to Palestinian terms for the peace process.
- Palestinian gov't should be formed in entire Palestine, says Hezbollah ISNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Hezbollah's Deputy Secretary General Sheikh Naeem Qassem said Palestinian government should be established in the whole Palestinian land.
- Saudi Arabia donates $200 mln to Palestinians RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2011 -- Saudi Arabia will donate $200 million to the Palestinian Authority.
- Egypt-Israel: A Cold Peace Gets Colder VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- According to a new poll, Egyptian-Israeli relations have plunged to their lowest point in three decades.
- Human rights in Sudan and South Sudan remain precarious UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- The human rights situation remains precarious in Sudan and newly independent South Sudan, a United Nations independent expert said.
- Southern Kordofan Lawmakers Quit Sudan's National Assembly VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Three Southern Kordofan’s members of National Assembly in Khartoum have resigned citing the humanitarian crisis in their constituencies as the sole reason for stepping down.
- UN mission to South Sudan welcomes action on policemen who assaulted staff member UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- The UN peacekeeping mission in South Sudan welcomed action against police officers who were responsible for an assault against a UN member of staff last month.
- Gun is Grand Prize in Al-Shabab Children's Contest VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Somalia's al-Shabab Islamist group has awarded assault rifles and hand grenades to the winners of a children's Koran recital competition.
- Indian border security person killed in Pak firing in Samba IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Pakistani forcesopened fire on a Border Security Force patrol killing a sub-inspector and injuring a civilian along the Line of Control in Samba district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- UN peacekeepers patrol Ivorian-Liberian border area after deadly attack UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Côte d’Ivoire has sent two patrol units to the country’s border with Liberia.
- Naghdi: 85% of Pjak terrorists are non-Iranian IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Commander of the Basij Brigadier-General Mohammad Reza Naghdi said on Tuesday 85 percent of Pjak terrorists are non-Iranian.
- Iran guard evacuates main PJAK northwestern base ISNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Ground Force evacuated the main base of PJAK terrorist group in northwestern Iran.
- Gas, Oil Exploration Complicates Turkey, Cyprus Talks VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Cyprus appears to be headed for a showdown with Turkey over Nicosia's oil and gas exploration in the eastern Mediterranean.
- Disputed Nagorno-Karabakh Region Holds Elections RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- Voters in the breakaway Azerbaijani region of Nagorno-Karabakh have voted to elect local government bodies in the capital, Stepanakert, and more than 200 other communities.
- Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Erdogan of Turkey before Bilateral Meeting The White House 20 Sep 2011
- G8 Commits $80 Billion to Arab Spring Democracy VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- The governments of the eight major economies that form the G8 have reaffirmed their commitment to help Arab and North African countries that are transitioning to democracy.
- Syrian Forces Kill 2 in Homs Raid VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Syrian security forces have raided a neighborhood in the central Homs region, killing at least two people.
- U.S., Russia 'Still Disagree' On Response To Syria Bloodshed RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- U.S. officials say the United States and Russia continue to disagree on how the international community should respond to Syria.
- Talks way forward for Syria - Lavrov RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2011 -- Moscow believes peaceful negotiations are the way forward in the Syria conflict, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov reiterated.
- France, US Push for Security Council Action on Syria VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- France and the United States are pushing for the U.N. Security Council to address Syria's deadly crackdown on anti-government protesters.
- Bahraini protesters seek to return to Pearl Roundabout IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- The Bahrain Freedom Movement is appealing to world leaders to prevent a bloodbath threatened by the country's regime when protesters attempt to return Pearl Roundabout.
- Ban discusses Egypt’s democratic transition process with Foreign Minister UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- Egypt’s transition to democracy following the ouster of the regime of Hosni Mubarak was among the issues discussed in a meeting between Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the country’s Foreign Minister.
- South Korean Envoy Arrives in Beijing For Nuclear Talks VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- South Korea's nuclear negotiator says he expects to discuss the dismantling of North Korea's nuclear programs during talks.
- North Korean Prison Camp Survivors Testify Before US Congress VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Two survivors of North Korean prison camps testified before a US congressional panel about abuse they and their families endured.
- Russia, Two Koreas Renew Talks on Shared Gas Pipeline VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Envoys from South and North Korea are expected to meet in Beijing.
- UN's Special Rapporteur To Iran 'Fully Aware Of Daunting Task Ahead' RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- Ahmed Shaheed began the eight-month appointment, which will likely stretch further, on August 1.
- Iran says it runs Fordo N-site in 6 months ISNA 20 Sep 2011 -- The Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said the country would run its nuclear Fordo site by next 6 months.
- Abbasi: Iran IAEA envoy holds talks to end ambiguities ISNA 20 Sep 2011 -- The Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran said the country's ambassador to the IAEA will hold initial talks with the agency's officials.
- Abbassi: Iranian scientists’ assassination is unfavorable IRNA 20 Sep 2011 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Abbassi: Assassination of scientists and intellectuals of Iran is a dark stain for community of human beings.
- Politics Lurks Behind Iranian Banking Scandal RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- Surveying the scale of an embezzlement scandal that has rocked Iran, the head of the country's judicial investigation unit called it "the most unprecedented financial corruption case in the history of Iran."
- Ahead of Kyrgyz elections, Ban stresses importance of national reconciliation UN News Centre 20 Sep 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban called on the leader of Kyrgyzstan to carry out the key recommendations of an independent inquiry into last year’s deadly ethnic violence.
- Ivory Coast Refugees Question Security of Returning Home VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Refugees from this year's political crisis in Ivory Coast say it is not yet safe enough to return home.
- Zambia to Release Vote Results Thursday VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Zambia’s electoral commission says final results of the general elections will be released Thursday.
- Zambians Vote in Presidential Election Rematch VOA 20 Sep 2011 -- Zambians are voting Tuesday in what is expected to be a close presidential election rematch between incumbent Rupiah Banda and opposition leader Michael Sata.
- UN Human Rights Chief Wants Access To Belarus RFE/RL 20 Sep 2011 -- The UN's top human rights official has called on Belarus to release all political prisoners immediately and to allow a UN rights mission to visit.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|