Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2014 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Iran calls for punishment of ISIL ISNA 30 Jun 2014 -- Iranian Minister of Defense Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan called for punishment of the terrorist group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and its supporters.
- Iran ready to support Iraq in armed revolt against Sunni militias VoR 29 Jun 2014 -- An Iranian general announced that Tehran is ready to support Iraq in an armed revolt employing the same methods used against opposition in Syria, suggesting that Iran has expressed a will to take on a more significant role in fighting Sunni militias that threaten Baghdad, reports Reuters.
- Leader: Enemies investing on civil wars in region IRNA 28 Jun 2014 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei stressed that enemies were focusing on triggering civil wars in the region.
- Leader warns of enemy plots to provoke Shia-Sunni war ISNA 28 Jun 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has warned against enemy plots to provoke sectarian conflicts among Shia and Sunni Muslims in the region to undermine the wave of Islamic Awakening.
- Leader warns of enemy plots to provoke Shia-Sunni war Iran Press TV 28 Jun 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has warned against enemy plots to provoke sectarian conflicts among Shia and Sunni Muslims in the region to undermine the wave of Islamic Awakening.
- No agreement on Additional Protocol yet: Iran FM Iran Press TV 27 Jun 2014 -- Iran's foreign minister says Tehran and six world powers have not yet discussed the issue of Iran's acceptance of the Additional Protocol of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- Iran to dispatch weapons to Iraq upon request: Official Iran Press TV 26 Jun 2014 -- A high-ranking Iranian official says the Islamic Republic will dispatch munitions and military hardware to Iraq to help it battle the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) militants.
- Syria, Iran Join Fight Against Iraq's Militants VOA 26 Jun 2014 -- Top Western diplomats are focusing on the crisis in Iraq and pressing their calls for the country to unite in the face of a surge by Sunni Islamist militants, as Syria and Iran join the fight.
- No change in Irans resolve to continue nuclear program: Afkham IRNA 25 Jun 2014 -- Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said on Wednesday that there have been no change in Irans resolve to go ahead with its nuclear program.
- FM: Iran not to cut any deal on redlines IRNA 25 Jun 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif underlined the country's policy of detente in relations with different world states, but meantime, said Tehran will never accept to make a deal through crossing or ignoring its redlines in the nuclear talks.
- Iran's Army Ground Forces 'on alert' in western borders ISNA 25 Jun 2014 -- Deputy Head of Ground Forces of Iranian Army for Coordination Affairs said the forces in western borders of the country are 'on alert', following developments underway in Iraq due to presence of extremist militants in the country.
- Iran nuclear intentions unaffected by talks: Afkham Iran Press TV 25 Jun 2014 -- Iran says it is seriously pursuing its nuclear talks with six world powers, noting that the talks have not undermined its intention to develop nuclear technology for civilian purposes.
- Iran agrees to receive final installments of blocked assets by India ISNA 24 Jun 2014 -- Iran has agreed to receive final $550 millions installments of blocked $4.2 billion assets on nuclear deal with G5+1 through India, ISNA learned.
- New fueling process at Bushehr plant completed: AEOI Iran Press TV 24 Jun 2014 -- Iran has completed the new process of loading fuel into the Bushehr nuclear power plant, says the director of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI).
- Iran, Russia to ink nuclear plants deal: Official Iran Press TV 24 Jun 2014 -- Tehran and Moscow are soon to sign a deal on the construction of new nuclear power plants in Iran, an Iranian official says.
- Khamenei accuses US in using Iraq conflict to destabilize country VoR 23 Jun 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution and the current Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei strongly opposes the interference of United States in Iraq's internal issues. While meeting with Iran's judicial officials in the country's capital on Sunday, the former Iran's President Khamenei declared that the US and its Western allies are to blame for the ongoing unrest and violence in Iraq.
- Iran lashes out against U.S. intervention in Iraq crisis People's Daily 23 Jun 2014 -- Iran 'strongly' opposes a U.S. intervention in neighboring Iraq, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Sunday, as armed Sunni insurgents continue to seize Iraqi cities and thwart security forces.
- Acceptance of Additional Protocol by Iran conditional: AEOI Spokesperson IRNA 23 Jun 2014 -- Accepting Additional Protocol by Iran is conditional, spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi said on Monday.
- Iran strongly opposes US interference in Iraq: Leader Iran Press TV 22 Jun 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has expressed Iran's strong opposition to US interference in Iraq's internal affairs.
- Final nuclear deal achievable if P5+1 shows goodwill: Official Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- Spokesman of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says a final deal on Tehran's nuclear energy program is achievable if the six countries of P5+1 group show "goodwill" and political determination.
- IAEA confirms Iran's commitment to interim nuclear deal Iran Press TV 21 Jun 2014 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has issued a new report, confirming Iran's commitment to an interim nuclear deal it signed with six world powers last year.
- Salehi: IAEA should close Irans detonator probe IRNA 20 Jun 2014 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi called on the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to close its investigation of the issue of Iran's development of high explosives detonators.
- 5th round of Iran-G5+1 talks wraps up in Vienna IRNA 20 Jun 2014 -- The fifth round of negotiations between representatives of Iran and the Group 5+1 (the US, Russia, China, France and Britain plus Germany) ended in Vienna on Friday afternoon local time.
- Iran slams IAEA failure to abide by previous deal Iran Press TV 20 Jun 2014 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran has censured the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) for its failure to abide by its previous agreements with Tehran.
- Iran, P5+1 Set Out Framework for Nuclear Deal RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2014 -- Iran and P5+1 nations negotiating on the Islamic Republic's nuclear program have laid down the textual framework of the future comprehensive nuclear agreement, the Chinese envoy to the talks said in Vienna on Friday.
- Iran ready to take final step towards resolving nuclear issue: President IRNA 18 Jun 2014 -- If the international community recognizes Irans right for peaceful use of nuclear energy, Tehran will be ready to take the final step towards resolution of the issue, President Hassan Rouhani said here on Wednesday.
- Iran producing different classes of 'Toufan' missiles ISNA 18 Jun 2014 -- Iran has produced seven classes of 'Toufan' (Storm) missiles, Head of Iran's Aerospace Organization General Mehdi Farahi announced.
- 'Jask to turn into Iran's 2nd oil export terminal' Iran Press TV 18 Jun 2014 -- A high-ranking Iranian official says Iran's port city of Jask in the southern province of Hormozgan will turn into the country's second crude oil export terminal in the near future.
- U.S. Congress Divided Over Working With Iran RFE/RL 17 Jun 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama will meet with congressional leaders on June 18 at the White House to discuss the situation in Iraq, with senators divided on whether to work with Iran to resolve the crisis.
- US, Britain Move to Improve Relations with Iran VOA 17 Jun 2014 -- Britain announced Tuesday it will re-open its embassy in Iran, three years after it was closed following an attack on the building by Iranian protesters. The decision is the latest move by a Western nation to improve relations with Iran as the crisis in neighboring Iraq intensifies.
- Iran, Six Powers Seek to Salvage Momentum for Nuclear Deal VOA 17 Jun 2014 -- Iran and six world powers re-launched talks on Tuesday to rescue prospects for a deal on Tehran's nuclear activity by a July deadline, striving to prevent a long-time standoff from descending into a wider Middle East war.
- Background Briefing on P5+1 Talks US Dept. of State 16 Jun 2014
- Iran's border with Iraq has no security problem: Official Iran Press TV 16 Jun 2014 -- The Iranian Interior Ministry says there has been no security problem along Iran's border with Iraq since the Arab country's recent plunge into crisis by Takfiri terrorism.
- Pentagon: No Plans to Consult Iran Over Possible Action in Iraq VOA 16 Jun 2014 -- The Pentagon is downplaying speculation about U.S. and Iranian military cooperation in Iraq, hours after Secretary of State John Kerry made the suggestion in an interview. A military spokesman told reporters Monday the U.S. is not planning to work with Iran militarily to protect its troubled neighbor
- Final nuclear deal possible if six powers realistic: Zarif Iran Press TV 16 Jun 2014 -- The Iranian foreign minister says if the six world powers enter the next round of nuclear talks with Iran on the basis of logic and realism, a comprehensive deal can be struck.
- US, Iran Reportedly Prepared for Direct Talks on Iraq VOA 16 Jun 2014 -- As international talks on Iran's nuclear program resume Monday in Vienna, the Obama administration is reportedly ready to open direct talks with Tehran on how they might blunt a Sunni militant offensive in Iraq. While one U.S. lawmaker indicated a need for Washington to work with Iran, Secretary of State John Kerry said the United States is reaching out to the international community, including Iraq's neighbors.
- US: Significant Gaps Face Resumption of Iran Nuclear Talks VOA 16 Jun 2014 -- Negotiations on limiting Iran's nuclear program are to resume Tuesday in Geneva.
- Army well-prepared to thwart threats to territorial integrity: Commander IRNA 15 Jun 2014 -- The Army of the Islamic Republic of Iran command council is carefully considering the latest international and regional developments and well-prepared to thwart any threat to territorial integrity, Deputy Commander of the Iranian Army Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiumars Heydari said on Sunday.
- Iran ready for final nuclear deal: Rouhani Iran Press TV 15 Jun 2014 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says the Islamic Republic is ready to reach a final deal with the P5+1 countries on Tehran's nuclear energy program based on international regulations.
- President says Iraqi nation capable of defending itself IRNA 14 Jun 2014 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that Iraqi nation is capable of defending itself.
- Iran considers cooperating with US in fighting Sunni extremist fighters in Iraq VoR 14 Jun 2014 -- Iran may consider cooperating with the United States in fighting Sunni extremist fighters in Iraq if Washington acts against them, President Hassan Rouhani told journalists Saturday. He was responding to questions of whether mutual interests in fighting terrorism could possibly bring together Tehran and Washington - traditional foes that have had no diplomatic relations in more than three decades.
- Rouhani rejects reports on meeting American priest ISNA 14 Jun 2014 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani rejected reports that he had a meeting with an American priest carrying a a message from Obama.
- Iran naval fleet heads to Cape Town port in S Africa Iran Press TV 14 Jun 2014 -- The 30th Fleet of the Iranian Navy is heading to South Africa in line with the Islamic Republic's strategy of expanding its naval presence in international waters.
- President Rouhani, Iraqi PM stress fighting terrorism IRNA 12 Jun 2014 -- President Hassan Rouhani in a telephone conversation with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki discussed the latest developments in Iran as well as the way for uprooting terrorism.
- Iran Enters The Fray In Iraq RFE/RL 13 Jun 2014 -- Iranian government officials including President Hassan Rohani have expressed readiness to help the government of their Iraqi ally, Nuri al-Maliki, fight the militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) amid Western media reports that the country's powerful Revolutionary Guard has already dispatched forces to Iraq.
- Iran naval flotilla berths at Port of Dar es Salaam Iran Press TV 13 Jun 2014 -- The 30th Fleet of the Iranian Navy has docked at Tanzania's Port of Dar es Salaam in line with the Islamic Republic's strategy of expanding its naval presence in international waters.
- Intelligence minister: All enemies movements closely monitored IRNA 13 Jun 2014 -- Intelligence Minister Hojjatoleslam Seyyed Mahmoud Alavi underlined that his colleagues closely monitor all movements of the enemies of the Islamic system.
- President Rouhani: Iranian nation moving towards moderation IRNA 12 Jun 2014 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Thursday that the Iranian nation is moving on the road to moderation and all hope that the era of extremism around the globe comes to an end for ever.
- Iran Concerned by Turmoil in Iraq VOA 12 Jun 2014 -- Iran says it will fight terrorism in neighboring Iraq following the quick capture of several Iraqi cities this week by the Sunni Muslim militant group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
- Iran to reduce Arak plutonium production: Official Iran Press TV 12 Jun 2014 -- Iran says it will scale down the annual production of plutonium at its Arak heavy water reactor to a tenth of its current output level as part of the Islamic Republic's confidence-building measures over its nuclear energy program.
- Iran's Hard-line Media Told To Back Off On Rohani Criticism RFE/RL 11 Jun 2014 -- Iranian authorities are taking steps to rein in hard-line media that have attacked efforts by Iranian President Hassan Rohani to work with the West and resolve the crisis over his country's nuclear activities.
- Iran steps up security along borders: Official Iran Press TV 11 Jun 2014 -- Iran has intensified security measures along its borders amid escalating terrorist attacks in neighboring countries, says a top Iranian official.
- Nuclear talks fully concentrates on N-issues: Afkham IRNA 11 Jun 2014 -- Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said on Wednesday that separate talks between Iran and members of the P5+1 have been held in a very transparent and serious atmosphere and completely focused on nuclear issues.
- Iran starts separate nuclear talks with powers: spokeswoman People's Daily 11 Jun 2014 -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany - - which will begin in Vienna next week, the spokeswoman said at her weekly press briefing.
- Iran seeks to assert nuclear rights during talks: Official Iran Press TV 11 Jun 2014 -- A high-ranking Iranian official says the Islamic Republic seeks to assert its nuclear rights in the course of negotiations with six world powers.
- Rohani: Iran 'Will Do Its Best' To Secure Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 10 Jun 2014 -- President Hassan Rohani says Iran will do all it can to secure a deal with world powers on its disputed nuclear program.
- Final nuclear deal needs serious efforts by Sextet: Araqchi Iran Press TV 09 Jun 2014 -- A top Iranian nuclear negotiator has called on the Sextet of world powers to devote serious efforts to narrowing differences with Tehran in
- Nuclear arms totally against humanity: Ayatollah Khamenei Iran Press TV 09 Jun 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says nuclear weapons are totally against humanity.
- US, Iran, EU Meet in Geneva for Nuclear Talks VOA 09 Jun 2014 -- U.S. and Iranian diplomats meet in Geneva Monday and Tuesday for direct talks on Iran's controversial nuclear program ahead of a looming July 20 deadline to reach a final agreement. As full international negotiations are set to resume next week, the U.N. atomic energy agency has indicated Tehran is showing some signs of cooperation in the investigation into the military aspects of Iran's program.
- Tehran-Sponsored Hospital Eyed With Suspicion In Afghanistan RFE/RL 08 Jun 2014 -- Afghanistan has been the recipient of millions of dollars in assistance from neighboring Iran. But while Kabul has accepted the much-needed support, it has often shown wariness of Tehran's motives.
- Towards manned orbital mission: Iran to build its own spacecraft VoR 08 Jun 2014 -- Iran has announced that it is planning to build its own orbital spaceship, the Fars news agency reports citing the head of the Iranian national space project, Mansur Kabganian.
- IAEO works with Iranian nuclear experts to set agenda for upcoming nuclear talks: IAEO spokesman IRNA 08 Jun 2014 -- Irans Atomic Energy Organization and Iranian nuclear experts are due to hold a joint meeting aimed to set the agenda for the next round of nuclear talks slated for June 16-20 in Vienna, said IAEO spokesman, Behrouz Kamalvandi on Sunday.
- Iran announces nuclear talks with US and Russia VoR 07 Jun 2014 -- Iran will hold two days of nuclear talks with the United States starting Monday, and then conduct two further days of negotiations with Russia, the foreign ministry said.
- Iran flotilla heading for south Indian Ocean: Cmdr. Iran Press TV 05 Jun 2014 -- Iran's naval forces will, for the first time, set sail for the southern waters of the Indian Ocean, says the county's Navy commander.
- Dispute Over Heaven Rages In Iran RFE/RL 04 Jun 2014 -- Twenty-five years after Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini's death, the clerical establishment ushered in by the Islamic republic's founding father is at odds over how far its influence on Iranians' lives should extend.
- Iran launches cutting-edge Ghadir radar system Iran Press TV 02 Jun 2014 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has officially put into service a domestically developed long-range radar system capable of detecting stealth aircraft.
- IAEA chief hails Iran's 'substantive' cooperation Iran Press TV 02 Jun 2014 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief has welcomed Iran's "substantive" cooperation with the agency, saying the efforts had helped the UN body 'gain a better understanding' of the Iranian nuclear energy program.
- IRGC Army Chief: Message of peace, friendship for peace-seeking countries IRNA 01 Jun 2014 -- Commander of revolutionary guards Army said here Saturday in a meeting with foreign embassies military attaches in Tehran that Irans message for entire peace-seeking, freedom-seeking, and humane countries of the world is a message of peace and friendship.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list