Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2008 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Iraq to close MKO camp in Iraq IRNA 31 Dec 2008 -- Iraq has decided to shut down the terrorist Mojahedin Khalq Organization (MKO) Ashraf Camp as soon as possible, expel the MKO members from Iraq and close their file forever, said a senior Iraqi official
- Larijani: Events in Gaza examples of genocide IRNA 30 Dec 2008 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Tuesday that what is going in Gaza is a blatant example of genocide
- Gaza human crisis will lead to Israel's annihilation: president IRNA 30 Dec 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that Israel has committed war crimes in Gaza which will lead to definite annihilation of the regime
- Mottaki deplores International community's inaction on Gaza IRNA 30 Dec 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Tuesday that the international community is not serious about the Gaza tragedy, deploring inaction to stop the Israeli crimes against humanity
- AFGHANISTAN: Iran agrees to halt deportations - Afghan minister IRIN 29 Dec 2008 -- Iran is to suspend large-scale deportations of illegal Afghan migrants until March 2009, the Afghan Ministry of Refugees and Returnees (MoRR) has said.
- Iran critical of US imposing UN Chapter VII on Iraq IRNA 27 Dec 2008 -- Iran is critical of the United States for its attempt to impose UN Chapter VII on Iraq
- Iran renews call for nuclear-free Middle East IRNA 27 Dec 2008 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Asia-Pacific Affairs on Friday renewed the call for making the Middle East from from weapons of mass destruction
- U.S. Claims New York Skyscraper Owned By Iranian Bank With Ties To Nuclear Program RFE/RL 27 Dec 2008 -- The U.S. Justice Department has announced that it intends to seize a 40-percent share in a posh New York City skyscraper
- Ahmadinejad shrugs off sanctions against Iran RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2008 -- Iran's president said on Tuesday that international and unilateral sanctions against his country had failed to achieve their goals and simply encouraged Iran's development.
- Iranian Nobel Laureate Ebadi Undeterred By Rights Center's Closure RFE/RL 22 Dec 2008 -- Nobel Peace Prize laureate Shirin Ebadi says she believes the offices of her human rights center in Tehran were raided and closed by Iranian authorities in retaliation for its influence with the United Nations
- Iran, Russia have focused on technical issues on Bushehr IRNA 22 Dec 2008 -- Iran and Russia have focused on technical issues on putting into operation of Bushehr power plant.
- Bushehr nuclear plant's completion could be delayed - Iranian FM RIA Novosti 22 Dec 2008 -- The completion of the $1 billion Bushehr nuclear power plant could be subject to delays.
- Russia denies supplying S-300 missile systems to Iran RIA Novosti 22 Dec 2008 -- Russian federal service for military cooperation: Russia is not selling S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to Iran.
- Russia only sells defensive weapons to Iran - Rosoboronexport RIA Novosti 22 Dec 2008 -- Russia only sells defensive weapons to Iran, in strict compliance with the international nonproliferation regime.
- Foreign forces, root cause of Afghan insecurity: Larijani IRNA 22 Dec 2008 -- Majlis Speaker Larijani expressed concern over presence of foreign forces in Afghanistan.
- Iran reaffirms measures to combat piracy IRNA 22 Dec 2008 -- BIran on Monday affirmed national resolve to confront Somali pirates who have hijacked Iranian leased cargo ship.
- Iran, a missile power: Rafsanjani IRNA 21 Dec 2008 -- Chairman of Expediency Council Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Sunday that the Islamic Republic has turned to a missile power in the world
- Police Raid, Close Offices Of Iran's Nobel Peace Laureate RFE/RL 21 Dec 2008 -- Iranian security forces have raided and closed the Tehran office of the human rights center run by 2003 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Shirin Ebadi
- Sanctions against Iran's oil sector "impossible" IRNA 19 Dec 2008 -- A top Iranian Oil Ministry official said any sanction against the country's oil industry would be "impossible" as Iran occupies a "special status" in the global trade of the black gold
- AFGHANISTAN-IRAN: Iran called upon to halt winter deportations IRIN 18 Dec 2008 -- Afghan government officials and aid agencies are calling on the Iranian authorities to halt the deportation of Afghans from Iran during the winter for humanitarian reasons.
- Analysis: Talking to Tehran cfr.org 17 Dec 2008 -- As a presidential candidate, Barack Obama made talking to Tehran a feature of his foreign policy
- Interview: Iran Uncertain About Obama's Intentions cfr.org 17 Dec 2008 -- Interviewee: Gareth Porter, Historian, Investigative Journalist
- UN Powers Discuss Iran Issue With Arab Envoys RFE/RL 17 Dec 2008 -- Senior diplomats of the six countries involved in talks on Iran's nuclear program met with representatives of eight Arab countries on December 16 at the UN to assure them of their commitment to prevent Tehran from developing nuclear weapons
- Tehran Ramps Up Campaign Against 'Immoral' Websites RFE/RL 15 Dec 2008 -- The Iranian authorities, who admit to blocking access to over 5 million websites, have decided to take additional measures to restrict Internet access and crack down on bloggers
- Bushehr nuclear plant to start operation by 2010: commissioner IRNA 16 Dec 2008 -- Head of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission said that Bushehr nuclear power plant has made a good progress, hoping that it will become operational by March 2010
- IRGCAF commander says cruise missiles sites of preventive value IRNA 16 Dec 2008 -- Commander of Islamic Republic of Iran Guard Corps Air Force (IRGCAF) said here Monday cruise missiles' sites are among the most important preventive factors for countries
- Germany still upbeat on "positive" Iranian reply to western cooperation offer IRNA 15 Dec 2008 -- German Foreign Ministry Spokesman Jens Ploetner voiced cautious optimism on the possibility of a "substantial and positive reaction" by Iran on the western political and economic cooperation offer
- Iran to urge OPEC to cut oil output by 2 mln bpd RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2008 -- Iran will call on the world's oil cartel at its extraordinary meeting next week to cut oil output by further 2 million barrels per day, Iranian Oil Minister Gholamhossein Nozari said on Sunday.
- Boroujerdi offers nuclear talks on Iran's proposed package IRNA 14 Dec 2008 -- A parliamentarian said on Sunday that negotiations within the framework of Iran's proposed package is the best solution to Iran's nuclear dispute
- Iran, 7th in producing UF6 - IAEO official IRNA 14 Dec 2008 -- Iran's Atomic Energy Organization (IAEO) Deputy Mohammad Qannadi said on Sunday that Iran is the 7th country in production of Uranium Hexaflouride (UF6).
- Defense Secretary Reassures US Allies in Gulf, Iraq; Warns Iran VOA 13 Dec 2008 -- During a trip to Bahrain, U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates reassured U.S. allies in the Gulf that Washington is prepared to defend them in the event of any unforeseen conflict. Mr. Gates then made an unannounced visit to Baghdad.
- Pink Slips Only Tell Half The Story In Iran RFE/RL 12 Dec 2008
- US General says Iran Reduces Bomb Supply for Iraqi Insurgents VOA 12 Dec 2008 -- The new head of the Pentagon's effort to combat the threat of roadside bombs says Iranian officials have apparently reduced their support for Iraqi Shiite Militias, cutting the supply of material for high-powered roadside bombs that can penetrate armored vehicles.
- Iraq Urges Obama to Open Dialogue with Iran VOA 11 Dec 2008 -- Iraq is urging U.S. President-elect Barack Obama and his incoming administration to open a dialogue with Iran to help solve Middle East problems.
- Iran Poses Both Danger and Opportunity for Obama Administration VOA 10 Dec 2008 -- Very high up on the list of foreign policy challenges for President Barack Obama will be Iran. During the long campaign, then-candidate Obama repeatedly defended his willingness to open a dialogue with Iran.
- Iranian Students Day Demonstration Turns Against Government RFE/RL 09 Dec 2008 -- Two days after national Students Day, several hundred students at Iran's Shiraz University marked the day with a demonstration against government policies, despite attempts to shut it downe
- Ayatollah Rafsanjani condemns US' carrot & stick policy IRNA 09 Dec 2008-- Iran's former President Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani dismissed the US' carrot and stick policy.
- Ex-minister Ivanov says Russia not playing 'double game' on Iran RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2008 -- Invanov: Russia not playing "double game" over Iran's controversial nuclear program.
- Russia: Iran Does Not Have Capability to Build Nuclear Bomb VOA 09 Dec 2008 -- Russian media report Russian officials believe Iran does not currently have the capability to build a nuclear weapon.
- Iran to continue enrichment activity IRNA 08 Dec 2008 -- Iran will continue its enrichment activity as there is no guarantee for supply of nuclear fuel by the West, Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hassan Qashqavi, said on Monday
- Iran's Basij Force -- The Mainstay Of Domestic Security RFE/RL 07 Dec 2008 -- Every year, Iran's Islamic regime devotes an entire week to the glorification of the Basij Resistance Force
- Iran tests new anti-ship missile in Gulf of Oman - TV RIA Novosti 07 Dec 2008 -- Iran has test-launched a new anti-ship missile as part of large-scale naval exercises in the Gulf of Oman, Iranian television said on Sunday.
- Iran Tests Sea-Launched Missile VOA 07 Dec 2008 -- Iran says it has test-fired a new missile during a six-day naval maneuver in the Sea of Oman.
- IAEA chief optimistic about US-led settlement of Iran nuclear dispute IRNA 06 Dec 2008 -- Director General of International Atomic Energy Agency Mohamed ElBaradei said he felt optimistic about an eventual US-led settlement between Tehran and the West
- Iran hopeful over resumption of dialogue with U.S. RIA Novosti 03 Dec 2008 -- Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said on Wednesday that the country may soon resume political dialogue with the U.S., after three decades of frozen relations.
- Iran holds second stage of naval drills in Gulf of Oman RIA Novosti 03 Dec 2008 -- Iran has conducted the second stage of a four-stage, six-day naval exercise in the Gulf of Oman, a top military commander said on Wednesday/li>
- Iran to Offer Chemical Weapon Treatment Courses VOA 02 Dec 2008 -- A senior Iranian diplomat said his nation is ready to offer international medical training for treating victims of chemical weapons.
- Iran to send animals into space RIA Novosti 02 Dec 2008 -- Iran plans to send exploratory rockets into space with live animals on board, paving the way for manned space flights, a space research official said on Tuesday.
- Mottaki: Iran has entailed heavy costs to maintain Iraq's security IRNA 02 Dec 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic of Iran has entailed heavy costs over the past six years in helping maintain security and promoting development in the war-torn country
- Larijani not a candidate for 10th presidential elections IRNA 01 Dec 2008 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said here Monday that he is not a candidate for the 10th presidential elections slated for June 2009
- Iran open to wider talks, Soltanieh IRNA 01 Dec 2008 -- Iran would welcome a broad dialogue with US President-elect Barack Obama's administration, Iranian Ambassador to International Atomic Energy Agency said on Monday
- Iran Offers To Develop Nuclear Plants With Gulf Neighbors RFE/RL 01 Dec 2008 -- Amid international pressure on Iran to halt its disputed nuclear program, Tehran has expressed interest in helping neighboring Persian Gulf states jointly construct nuclear power plants
- Iran to build new nuclear plants instead of 2nd unit at Bushehr RIA Novosti 01 Dec 2008 -- Iranian authorities are planning to build two new nuclear power plants instead of completing the second power unit of the Bushehr nuclear power plant, a civilian nuclear official said on Monday.
- Iran to hold large-scale naval drills in Gulf of Oman RIA Novosti 01 Dec 2008 -- Iran is to hold on December 2-7 a large-scale naval exercise involving over 60 warships in the Gulf of Oman, Iranian television reported on Monday, citing the navy commander.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list