Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2008 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Iran Remains Unyielding, Gates Says AFPS 29 Sep 2008 -- SecDef Gates: Until Iran decides to change its approach to the world, the United States shouldn't reach out to the nation.
- Qashqavi: Enrichment of uranium to continue to produce fuel IRNA 29 Sep 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi: Iran will continue uranium enrichment to produce fuel citing Non-Proliferation Treaty.
- Iran criticizes Security Council for politicizing nuclear program IRNA 28 Sep 2008 -- Iran criticized the Security Council for passing a new resolution to politicize the technical dispute between Iran and the IAEA.
- Security Council calls on Iran to comply with nuclear obligations UN News 27 Sep 2008 -- The Security Council called on Iran to comply fully with its previous resolutions and stop uranium enrichment activities.
- UN draft resolution on Iran to be adopted next week - Russian envoy RIA Novosti 27 Sep 2008 -- A new draft resolution on Iran will not be adopted on Saturday and the consultations will continue through the weekend.
- Iran Avoids New Sanctions in Security Council Vote VOA 27 Sep 2008 -- The United Nations Security Council adopted a resolution ordering Iran to halt its enrichment program, but did not impose any new sanctions.
- Revelations on Iran's Missile Program & Reorganizations of Iran's Defense Ministry and IRGC Statement by Alireza Jafarzadeh - President, Strategic Policy Consulting, Inc. National Press Club, Washington, DC 26 Sep 2008 -- According to the latest intelligence from Iran, the Tehran regime is extending and expanding its warmongering, terrorist agenda.
- U.S., Russia Agree On Draft Iran Resolution RFE/RL 26 Sep 2008 -- Iran could face a new round of sanctions from the United Nations now that Russia and the United States have agreed a draft resolution on its nuclear activities.
- Iran Six agree on draft resolution without new sanctions RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2008 -- The 6 countries negotiating the Iranian nuclear problem agreed on a draft UN resolution on Iran containing no new sanctions.
- Major Powers Agree on New UN Resolution on Iran VOA 26 Sep 2008 -- The United States and Russia joined other powers in endorsing a new draft UN resolution on Iran.
- US, Russia To Continue Cooperation on Iran, North Korea, Despite Georgia Dispute VOA 25 Sep 2008 -- Senior U.S. and Russian officials say the two powers will continue cooperation on ending the Iranian and North Korean nuclear programs despite their bitter disagreement over Russian intervention in Georgia
- Iran to conduct first satellite launch soon - Ahmadinejad RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2008 -- Iran's president says his country will soon send up a rocket that will put the country's first domestically launched satellite into orbit, his press service said Thursday.
- IAEA expected to take more logical step: Larijani IRNA 25 Sep 2008 -- Iran has responded to six outstanding questions of the International Atomic Energy Agency and is not obliged to answer the US-fabricated charge of alleged studies, Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Thursday.
- Moscow's Iran Policy A Question Of Balancing Priorities RFE/RL 25 Sep 2008 -- Moscow has nixed a proposed meeting in New York this week at which the representatives of the UN Security Council members, plus Germany, were to discuss possible additional sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program
- Iran Six ministerial officials to meet in coming days RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2008 -- The six negotiators on the Iranian nuclear issue will meet in the coming days at the level of foreign ministries' political directors due to the postponement of ministerial talks, France's Foreign Ministry said.
- At UN, Iranian President blames 'corrupt powers' for sparking global challenges UN News Centre 23 Sep 2008 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad today pointed the finger at "corrupt powers" for provoking or maintaining problems in global hotspots such as Iraq, the Middle East and Afghanistan, noting that the United Nations is often paralyzed and unable to take effective action.
- EU Says Iran Close to Developing Nuclear Weapon VOA 24 Sep 2008 -- The European Union said Wednesday that Iran was close to being able to develop a nuclear weapon
- Perkovich: If Iran Stone-Walls, Stop Trying to Negotiate cfr.org 24 Sep 2008 -- Interviewee: George R. Perkovich, Vice President for Studies, director of Non-Proliferation Program, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
- Soltanieh: Safeguards implementation should follow normal course IRNA 24 Sep 2008 -- Iran's IAEA envoy Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said here Wednesday that Tehran will respond to remaining questions on its nuclear issue if Safeguards implementation follows its normal course.
- NAM backs Iran's peaceful nuclear activities IRNA 24 Sep 2008 -- Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) has issued a statement on Wednesday to support Iran's peaceful nuclear program.
- President: Pursuing nuclear weapons is politically backwarded IRNA 24 Sep 2008 -- Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that any state pursuing nuclear weapons is politically backwarded.
- Iran president challenges unjust world order IRNA 24 Sep 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Tuesday challenged the unjust world order and pressures exerted by some powers seeking to trample the rights of other nations, oppression imposed on the majority of the global community, especially on the people of Iraq, Palestine, Lebanon, Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
- President protests US hurdles in way of Iran nuclear program IRNA 24 Sep 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Tuesday protested to the international community against the US creating obstacles in the way of Iranian nuclear program.
- President urges international community to respect justice IRNA 24 Sep 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Tuesday called on the international community to respect justice to give the humanity an opportunity to perfection.
- Russia sees no need for urgent measures against Iran - FM Lavrov RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2008 -- Russia sees no crisis surrounding Iran's nuclear program and does not believe it is necessary to take any urgent steps, the Russian foreign minister said Wednesday.
- Iran seeks international committee to disarm nuclear powers RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2008 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in his speech to the UN General Assembly that an international committee should be set up to oversee the nuclear disarmament of all countries with atomic weapons.
- Iran six-nation nuclear talks not on Lavrov's UN agenda RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2008 -- A six-nation meeting on the Iranian nuclear program has not been included in Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov's UN General Assembly agenda, a source in the Russian delegation said on Wednesday.
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY PRESIDENT OF IRAN United Nations 23 Sep 2008
- IAEA makes little progress on Iran's nuclear program RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2008 -- The UN nuclear watchdog said it had not been able to make much progress on the issue of a military aspect to Iran's nuclear program.
- IAEA fails to make progress on alleged studies on Iran IRNA 22 Sep 2008 -- Mohammed ElBaradei: IAEA has not been able to make substantive progress on possible military dimensions to Iran's nuclear program.
- Iran will stop any aggression, if attacked - president RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: The Islamic Republic's military will "break the hands" of any aggressor, if attacked.
- Russia opposes extra UN measures on Iran nuclear program RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2008
- Russia urges Iran to implement UN resolutions RIA Novosti 19 Sep 2008 -- Russia urged Iran to comply with all UN Security Council resolutions and UN nuclear watchdog rulings on its nuclear program.
- Iran completes large-scale Air Force, air defense drills RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2008 -- Iran has completed a 3-day series of Air Force and missile defense exercises throughout the country.
- Ahmadinejad calls IAEA report on Iran 'positive' RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2008 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: IAEA report on Iran's nuclear activities reaffirmed the peaceful nature of Tehran's nuclear program.
- Iran unfazed by prospect of new UN sanctions RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2008 -- Iran undaunted by the possibility of new UN sanctions over its ongoing nuclear program.
- Navy commander announces full border defense readiness IRNA 18 Sep 2008 -- Commander of Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy: Army, Navy and Air Force are fully ready for competent defense of Islamic Iran's borders.
- U.S. Blasts Iran For 'Zero' IAEA Cooperation RFE/RL 17 Sep 2008 -- The United States says Iran has showed "zero progress" in satisfying demands by the international community for transparency in its nuclear program.
- IAEA Report On Iran Shows 'Zero Progress' On Cooperation, Schulte Says RFE/RL 17 Sep 2008 -- The UN nuclear watchdog says its investigation into intelligence allegations of secret atom bomb research in Iran has reached a standstill because of Iranian noncooperation
- UN nuclear watchdog chief circulates latest report on Iran UN News Centre 17 Sep 2008 -- The head of the United Nations atomic watchdog has circulated his latest report on Iran's nuclear programme to the agency's Board of Directors.
- Russian Military Alliance With Iran Improbable Due To Diverging Interests RFE/RL 16 Sep 2008 -- The Georgia crisis and the U.S. deal with Poland to locate part of its missile-defense system on Polish soil have revived a Cold War mentality among some observers in both Russia and the West
- Iran scoffs at U.S., Israeli military threats RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2008 -- Israel and the United States lack the ability to commit an act of aggression against Iran in an effort to destroy its nuclear installations, the Iranian president's senior military advisor said Tuesday.
- China: No New Sanctions Against Iran VOA 16 Sep 2008 -- The Chinese government says increased United Nations sanctions against Iran will not solve the stalemate regarding the country's nuclear program.
- Soltanieh: ElBaradei's report proves non-diversion in Iran's program IRNA 15 Sep 2008 -- Iran's IAEA envoy Ali-Asghar Soltanieh said on Monday that the IAEA Chief Mohammed ElBaradei's report proved no diversion in Iran's peaceful nuclear program.
- Air defense exercises underway successfully: commander IRNA 15 Sep 2008 -- A commander of Iranian Army's Air Force said that the maneuver of air force units code-named 'Defenders of Velayat' is underway throughout the country successfully.
- Qashqavi urges IAEA not to be influenced by pressures IRNA 15 Sep 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi on Monday voiced Iran's readiness to continue cooperation with the UN nuclear watchdog in the context of the Safeguards Agreement.
- MP highlights IAEA verification of Iran nuclear program IRNA 15 Sep 2008 -- The recent clear stance made by the UN nuclear watchdog indicated non-diversion and legitimacy of Iranian nuclear program, a member of Iran's parliament said on Monday.
- Iran refutes media hype over alleged missing uranium IRNA 15 Sep 2008 -- The alleged disappearance of uranium at Iran's nuclear facilities is a media hype, Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hassan Qashqavi, said on Monday.
- IAEA rejects alleged missing nuclear material in Iran IRNA 15 Sep 2008 -- IAEA's spokesperson Melissa Fleming said on Sunday that all enriched uranium in Isfahan nuclear installations is under the control and supervision of IAEA and nothing is missing.
- UN Nuclear Agency Accuses Iran of Blocking Investigation VOA 15 Sep 2008 -- The United Nations nuclear agency is accusing Iran of blocking a U.N. investigation into allegations that Tehran tried to make nuclear weapons.
- Iran starts large-scale Air Force, air defense drills RIA Novosti 15 Sep 2008 -- Iran has launched a three-day series of Air Force and missile defense exercises throughout the country, the Air Force commander said on Monday.
- IAEA rejects alleged missing nuclear material in Iran IRNA 14 Sep 2008 -- IAEA's spokesperson Melissa Fleming said on Sunday that all enriched uranium in Isfahan nuclear installations is under the control and supervision of IAEA and nothing is missing.
- War game to be staged next week IRNA 14 Sep 2008 -- Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar said that the maneuver code-named 'Defenders of Velayat' will be held as of Monday.
- Mottaki: Iran's cooperation with IAEA sincere, serious IRNA 14 Sep 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Sunday that Iran continues its sincere and serious cooperation with IAEA.
- Victory in nuclear program, fruit of insistence on legal rights: MP IRNA 13 Sep 2008 -- Head of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Alaeddin Boroujerdi said on Saturday that success in the national peaceful nuclear program is the fruit of insistence on legitimate rights.
- Analysis: Seeing Iranian Gains in the Caucasus cfr.org 12 Sep 2008 -- Fallout over Russia's military moves in Georgia has already sidelined (MSNBC) one area of nuclear cooperation between Washington and the Kremlin.
- Security Council hears briefing from committee monitoring sanctions on Iran UN News Centre 11 Sep 2008 -- The head of the Security Council committee monitoring sanctions against Iran over its nuclear programme today updated the 15-member body on the panel's latest work, including the efforts of States to implement those measures.
- US Vice President Slams Russia, Warns About Iran VOA 09 Sep 2008 -- U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney deplored Russia's military action in Georgia and said Tiblisi has every right to join NATO in the future
- Iran blames technical problems for Bushehr NPP delay RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2008 -- Delays in the completion of the Bushehr nuclear power plant currently being built by Russia in the south of Iran are due to technical problems, a top Iranian official said on Tuesday.
- Sudan Denies it Receives Iranian Military Help VOA 08 Sep 2008 -- Officials close to Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir deny that Iran is providing military training and assistance to Sudanese forces in Darfur
- Nuclear talks continues in a constructive atmosphere IRNA 07 Sep 2008 -- Iran's nuclear talks with Western states would continue in a constructive atmosphere, Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hassan Qashqavi, said on Sunday.
- Iran says again it has no plans to possess nuclear weapons RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2008 -- Iran does not aim to possess nuclear weapons, a spokesman for the Islamic Republic said Friday.
- Ahmadinejad threatens West with sanctions RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2008 -- Iran could impose unilateral sanctions against Western powers in response to measures to punish Tehran over its nuclear program, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said.
- Iran, Russia agree on intelligence sharing IRNA 05 Sep 2008 -- Iran's Minister of Information, Gholam-Hossein Mohseni Ejeie, on Friday met new head of Russian Federal Security Service, Alexander Bortnikov.
- US Defense Leaders Propose Cutting Combat Troops in Iraq in Early '09 VOA 04 Sep 2008 -- U.S. officials say President George Bush's top defense aides are advising him to withdraw one combat brigade from Iraq, but not until next February.
- Sarkozy seeks Syrian help in Iran nuclear standoff RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2008 -- The French president has asked his Syrian counterpart to use his country's ties with Iran to ensure the Islamic Republic does not produce nuclear weapons, and urged Syria to seek direct peace talks with Israel.
- Fuel supply accord for Bushehr plant to be finalized by year end IRNA 02 Sep 2008 -- Fuel supply accord for Bushehr power plant will be finalized until the end of the current Iranian year (March 20, 2008), Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said on Tuesday.
- Iran's missile potential based on its scientists capabilities: Qashqavi IRNA 01 Sep 2008 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi said on Monday that Iran's technical and missile potential is fully based on scientific capabilities of its scientists.
- Russia may push forward with S-300 sales to Iran RIA Novosti 01 Sep 2008 -- Russia may proceed with plans to sell advanced S-300 air defense systems to Iran under a secret contract believed to have been signed in 2005, a Russian analyst said on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list