Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2008 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Supreme Leader appoints Air Force commander IRNA 31 Aug 2008 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei on Sunday appointed Brigadier General Hassan Shah-Safi as Air Force Commander of the Army.
- Iran Top Military Commander Warns Attack Would Spark World War VOA 30 Aug 2008 -- One of Iran's top military commanders warns any attack against Iran would start a new world war.
- Attar: 4,000 centrifuges work at Natanz enrichment facilities IRNA 29 Aug 2008 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Ali-Reza Sheikh Attar said Thursday that there are almost 4,000 centrifuges operating in Natanz enrichment facilities.
- Russia, Iran to discuss Bushehr NPP completion on Sept. 1 RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2008 -- A delegation from a Russian nuclear power construction company Atomstroyexport will discuss the completion of the Bushehr nuclear power plant in Iran on September 1, a company spokesman said on Friday.
- Iran Claims to Have 4,000 Working Nuclear Centrifuges VOA 29 Aug 2008 -- A top Iranian official say the country now has 4,000 working nuclear centrifuges.
- Envoy condemns UNSC unlawful actions against Iran's N-case IRNA 28 Aug 2008 -- Iran's ambassador to the UN said here Wednesday that the UN Security Council has taken unlawful, unnecessary and unjustifiable actions in adopting resolutions against Iran over its peaceful nuclear program.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Appears To Endorse Ahmadinejad For Another Term RFE/RL 26 Aug 2008 -- Even though the elections are still some nine months away and the candidates' names have not yet been put forward, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei seems to have already made up his mind about who should win.
- Mottaki unveils codes of Iran, G5+1 modalities IRNA 26 Aug 2008 -- Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki on Monday disclosed codes of two modalities offered by Iran and the G5+1.
- Iran Announces Production of New Submarine VOA 25 Aug 2008 -- Iran has launched production of a mid-size submarine it says will be able to fire missiles and torpedoes.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Endorses Ahmadinejad for Second Term VOA 25 Aug 2008 -- Iranian state media say the country's supreme leader has urged President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to plan for a second four-year term in office.
- Tehran to respond to IAEA within its commitments: Saeedi IRNA 24 Aug 2008 -- Deputy head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization (IAEO) Mohammad Saeedi said on Sunday that Tehran will give response to the remaining questions raised by the United Nations nuclear watchdog in line with its commitments.
- Bullying powers attempted to stop Iran progress IRNA 24 Aug 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday that the bullying powers have attempted to stop progress and prosperity of the Iranian nation.
- Bushehr power plant to become operational in early 2009: envoy IRNA 24 Aug 2008 -- Russian Ambassador to Tehran Alexander Sadovnikov said on Saturday that Bushehr nuclear power plant will become operational in early 2009.
- Iran Rocket Launch Triggers New Concerns RFE/RL 19 Aug 2008 -- In a move that could further aggravate tensions between Iran and the West, Tehran said it has launched a rocket, the Safir-e Omid (Hope Envoy), capable of carrying a satellite into space.
- Iran launches satellite into orbit IRNA 18 Aug 2008
- Ministry confirms Safir satellite-carrier rocket launch IRNA 17 Aug 2008 -- Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics said Friday that in presence of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Iran's `Safir' (Messenger) satellite-carrier rocket, carrying Iran's first `Omid' (Hope) Satellite, was successfully launched into the space tentatively on Sunday.
- Iran successfully fires rocket carrying its 1st satellite IRNA 17 Aug 2008 -- Joint Chief of Staff on Sunday congratulated Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei and brave Iranian nation on successful launching of the rocket carrying the country's first satellite.
- Iran Launches Satellite-Carrier Rocket, US Expresses Concern VOA 17 Aug 2008 -- Iran says it has successfully test-launched a rocket capable of carrying a domestically-built satellite into space.
- Air Force Commander: No country to be allowed to strike Iran IRNA 17 Aug 2008 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic Air Force Brigadier General Pilot Ahmad Miqani said here Saturday that no country would be allowed to invade Iran.
- Iran to launch 1st domestic satellite soon - Ahmadinejad IRNA 16 Aug 2008 -- Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad added in his press interview in Istanbul Friday that Iran would in near future launch its first domestic satellite to the space.
- Iran's president says West backing down over nuclear program RIA Novosti 13 Aug 2008 -- Iran has come out on top with the West over its controversial nuclear program, the Islamic Republic's president told local media.
- Iran, EU Foreign Policy Chief Agree to Keep Discussing Nukes VOA 11 Aug 2008 -- Iran's top nuclear negotiator has agreed with the European Union's foreign policy chief to continue talks.
- EU Begins Enforcement of New Iran Sanctions VOA 08 Aug 2008 -- The European Union imposed new trade sanctions against Iran Friday, as Tehran continues to hold out against international demands that it freeze its nuclear enrichment program
- Bushehr NPP could be launched later in 2008- Iran's vice president RIA Novosti 08 Aug 2008 -- The Bushehr nuclear power plant currently being built by Russia in southern Iran may be launched later in 2008.
- UN nuclear official visits Iran to discuss cooperation agenda RIA Novosti 7 Aug 2008 -- Deputy head of the UN nuclear watchdog arrived in Tehran for a two-day visit to discuss cooperation with Iran's nuclear authorities.
- Unprecedented Report Details Official Corruption in Iran VOA 6 Aug 2008 -- An unprecedented report prepared for Iran's Parliament detailed instances of corruption throughout the country's judiciary.
- US Officials: Iran's Response to Incentives Package Not Acceptable VOA 6 Aug 2008 -- U.S. officials: Iran's response to an incentives package to stop its sensitive nuclear work amounts to more confusion and delays.
- US Says 'Punitive' Measures Needed Against Iran VOA 6 Aug 2008 -- The United States says punitive measures are needed against Iran over its response to a demand that it freeze its nuclear program.
- U.S., Europeans Reject Iran's Response To Nuclear Incentives RFE/RL 06 Aug 2008 -- Reports in the U.S. media say Washington and its European allies have rejected Iran's latest letter on its controversial nuclear program and they now plan to seek additional UN Security Council sanctions.
- Iran Says New Weapon Can Close Strait Of Hormuz RFE/RL 05 Aug 2008 -- Iran says it has "recently" tested a naval weapon that can destroy any vessel within a 300-kilometer radius, and the head of the Revolutionary Guards has said that Iran could close the Strait of Hormuz "easily and on an unlimited basis" if Iran is ever attacked.
- Iran, EU talk disputed nuclear program RIA Novosti 4 Aug 2008
- Iran, EU to decide on further nuclear talks RIA Novosti 4 Aug 2008
- Ahmadinejad: Iran 'serious' in talks IRNA 03 Aug 2008 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Sunday, "We are serious in continuation of fair talks which can produce practical and fruitful results."
- FM spokesman: NAM members unanimously back Iran's peaceful nuclear plan IRNA 03 Aug 2008 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hassan Qashqavi said on Saturday that members of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) unanimously backed Iran's peaceful nuclear program.
- Iran Says It Is Serious About Nuclear Negotiations, Offers Nothing New VOA 03 Aug 2008 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahamadinejad says his country is serious in trying to resolve its nuclear differences with the international community, while visiting Syrian President Bashar al Assad says his government is willing to help, but denies acting as an envoy of the West
- Israel says Diplomacy with Iran Does Not Work VOA 03 Aug 2008 -- Israel says Iran's refusal to stop enriching uranium shows the futility of diplomacy to prevent Tehran from building a nuclear weapon
- Iran's Foreign Minister Shrugs Off Nuclear Deadline VOA 02 Aug 2008 -- A top Iranian official, observing a South Asian regional leaders' summit, has dismissed a Saturday
- Ahmadinejad: Iran Will Not Back Down on Nuclear Program VOA 01 Aug 2008 -- Iran's president has vowed to use force against what he calls "enemies" who want to curtail his nation's controversial nuclear program.
- Nuclear monopoly, reason for opposing, sabotage against Iran - Rafsanjani IRNA 1 Aug 2008 -- Rafsanjani: Reason behind West's opposition and sabotage against Iran "safeguarding their nuclear monopoly".
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list