Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2009 - India Special Weapons News
- India asks Pakistan to dismantle terror infrastructure IRNA 31 Dec 2009 -- India Thursday asked Pakistan to dismantle terror infrastructure on its soil which is being used to launch attacks on India.
- Swine Flu death toll in India raises to 919 IRNA 31 Dec 2009 -- With four more persons succumbed to Swine Flu in India, the countrywide toll raised to 919, it was reported on Thursday.
- India, Russia agree on price of Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier IRNA 31 Dec 2009 -- India and Russia agreed on final price for Gorshkov aircraft carrier.
- India Says At Least 12 Possible Terror Attacks Thwarted in 2009 VOA 23 Dec 2009 -- Speaking in the capital, Indian Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram said "12 or 13 potential terrorist attacks" have been foiled in 2009. And, that any one of them could have led to a repeat of last November's siege of Mumbai, blamed on Pakistani militants, in which more than 160 people died.
- India's defense offsets policy to bring $10 billion in 5 years RIA Novosti 19 Dec 2009 -- The Indian Defense Ministry on Saturday urged the private sector to take advantage of its Offset Policy that will create a 10-billion opportunity in the next five years to manufacturers and service providers, according to the Press Trust of India.
- Mumbai Attacks Suspect Retracts Confession in Court VOA 18 Dec 2009 -- In a surprising development, the only suspect put on trial for last year's terror attacks in Mumbai has retracted his confession.
- Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier overhaul to cost India $2.3 bln RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- India will pay Russia $2.3 billion for work to refit the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier.
- India tightens regulations for entry of foreign nationals IRNA 16 Dec 2009 -- New Delhi has revised its regulations pertaining to the entry of foreign nationals holding long-term Indian tourist visas.
- India's Plan to Create New Southern State VOA 16 Dec 2009 -- India's plan to carve out a new state from southern Andhra Pradesh has triggered a political furor.
- No threat to Indian skies from China IRNA 15 Dec 2009 -- The Indian Air Force Tuesday allayed fears of a threat from China in the eastern skies and said it was fully geared to give the necessary protection.
- Pakistan wants meaningful, constructive dialogue with India: FO IRNA 13 Dec 2009 -- Pakistan wants meaningful, constructive and result oriented dialogue with India to resolve all the outstanding issues between the two countries.
- India successfully test fires nuclear-capable ‘Dhanush” missile IRNA 13 Dec 2009 -- India on Sunday successfully test fired its nuclear-capable ballistic missile 'Dhanush', with a range of 350 km, from a naval ship off the Orissa coast.
- India successfully test fires nuclear-capable missile RIA Novosti 13 Dec 2009 -- India successfully test fired a nuclear-capable ballistic missile from a naval ship off the coast of the Orissa state on Sunday, Indian media reported citing the firing range director.
- India Successfully Tests Nuclear-Capable Missile VOA 13 Dec 2009 -- India says it has successfully test fired a short range, nuclear-capable missile.
- 4 killed, 15 injured in powerful blast in India’s N-E state of Assam IRNA 10 Dec 2009 -- At least four people were killed and more than 15 injured, six of them critically, in a powerful bomb blast Thursday at a crowded marketplace in India's restive northeastern state of Assam, officials said.
- Air Defence Missile System from Israel under CBI scanner IRNA 10 Dec 2009 -- Air Defence Missile System from Israel is under scanner of India’s premier intelligence agency, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- India to Request Interrogation of Mumbai Terror Attack Suspect VOA 10 Dec 2009 -- India is expected to eventually request extradition of an American citizen charged in Chicago with alleged involvement in planning last year's terror attack on Mumbai. India is preparing its own criminal case against the 49-year-old man.
- Swine flu toll across India reaches 655 IRNA 10 Dec 2009 -- With the four more persons died due to swine flu in India, nationwide toll in the pandemic reaches 655.
- Indian Government Concedes to Demand for New Southern State VOA 10 Dec 2009 -- In the wake of crippling protests, the Indian government has agreed to carve out a new state out of the southern state, Andhra Pradesh. There are fears this could give momentum to similar demands in other parts of the country.
- India ready with tiny spies in the skies IRNA 09 Dec 2009 -- India ready for what could be termed as tiny spies in the skies.
- Defence pact with Russia to boost defence capability: India IRNA 08 Dec 2009 -- India on Wednesday voiced confidence that its agreement with Russia on a 10-year military and technical cooperation from 2011 would help enhance the operational capability of its defence forces in the next decade.
- Russia's MIG company confirms delivery of naval fighters to India RIA Novosti 08 Dec 2009 -- Russia's MiG aircraft maker said on Tuesday it has delivered the first four MiG-29 Fulcrum-D carrier-based fighter jets to India.
- Russia close to finishing reactor at Indian nuclear power plant RIA Novosti 07 Dec 2009 -- The first reactor of the Kudankulam nuclear power plant in India will be launched in 2010 as scheduled, Russia's nuclear chief Sergei Kiriyenko said.
- Russia, India finalize deal on warship overhaul RIA Novosti 07 Dec 2009 -- Russia and India have reached an agreement to complete a refit of the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier, a Kremlin source said on Monday.
- Russia to Help India Build 4 Nuclear Reactors VOA 07 Dec 2009 -- Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh says Russia will help his country build four new nuclear power plants. Mr. Singh made the announcement after meetings in Moscow with Russian President Dmitri Medvedev.
- Nepal Army chief to visit India on December 11 IRNA 08 Dec 2009 -- Nepal's Army chief Chhatra Man Gurung will pay a week-long visit to India this week, his first foreign trip after assuming office, during which he will be conferred with the honorary title of general of Indian Army.
- India to resume military cooperation with Nepal IRNA 07 Dec 2009 -- India has agreed to resume military cooperation with Nepal, suspended following the 2005 takeover of power by former King Gyanendra.
- US investigation agency team holds meeting with Indian counterparts IRNA 07 Dec 2009 -- The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) team, which is here to share information on terror suspects David Headley and Tahawwur Rana, Monday held discussions with their Indian counterparts about the activities of the duo in the country.
- India, France discuss defence cooperation IRNA 05 Dec 2009 -- India and France discussed issues relating to the security situation in South Asia and global security issues.
- India stresses global sharing mechanism to deal with terrorism IRNA 04 Dec 2009 -- India stressed the need for improved intelligence gathering and global sharing mechanism to deal with terrorism.
- India holds first ever "Global Security Conference" IRNA 03 Dec 2009 -- India will take center-stage globally, on security issues, with the commencement of the first ever “Global Security Conference."
- Top Indian separatist guerrilla leader arrested in Bangladesh IRNA 03 Dec 2009 -- A top Indian separatist guerrilla leader was arrested in Bangladesh and handed over to Indian authorities.
- India, Bangladesh finalise three treaties IRNA 02 Dec 2009 -- India and Bangladesh have finalised three treaties including the one on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons, after three days of parleys in New Delhi.
- Chinese military team visiting to boost ties IRNA 02 Dec 2009 -- Chinese Army delegation will be in India for five days beginning Wednesday to explore opportunities to take forward the defence ties.
- India suspends flights of Russian-made fighters over accident RIA Novosti 02 Dec 2009 -- India has suspended flights by Russian-made SU-30 MKI Flanker-H multirole fighters after a plane crash.
- Indian Air Force grounds all Sukhoi fighter planes IRNA 02 Dec 2009 -- Two days after a Sukhoi fighter jet crashed, the second this year, the Indian Air Force has grounded its entire fleet of 100 SU-30 aircraft.
- 191 fresh cases of swine flu reported across India IRNA 01 Dec 2009 -- 191 fresh cases of Swine Flu were reported from many states in India raising the total number of the affected cases to 18,198 across the country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list