Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2009 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- More than 170 Cases of Aerial Espionage Perpetrated against DPRK KCNA 31 Aug 2009 -- US and South Korean forces perpetrated more than 170 cases of aerial espionage against the DPRK in August.
- North Korea Weekly (August 24 - 30, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 958 (Aug 24 to Aug 30, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Ban welcomes latest steps to improve inter-Korean relations UN News Centre 29 Aug 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the latest steps to improve inter-Korean relations, including an agreement to resume cross-border reunions next month for hundreds of families separated since the Korean War.
- North Korea Releases 4 Detained South Korean Fishermen VOA 29 Aug 2009 -- North Korea has freed four South Korean fishermen after one month in detention. It is the latest goodwill gesture from the reclusive state in recent weeks. From Seoul, Jason Strother has more.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Wonsan Saltern KCNA 29 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to the Wonsan Saltern.
- Inter-Korean Red Cross Talks Held KCNA 29 Aug 2009 -- The north-south Red Cross talks took place at Mt. Kumgang resort from August 26 to 28.
- Immortal Feats of Kim Il Sung for Youth Movement KCNA 29 Aug 2009 -- August 28 is the founding anniversary of the Young Communist League of Korea by President Kim Il Sung.
- Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work Marked KCNA 29 Aug 2009 -- Rodong Sinmun Friday dedicates a signed article to the 6th anniversary of the publication of General Secretary Kim Jong Il's work on thoroughly implementing the line of economic construction in the era of Songun set forth by the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Rodong Sinmun on Socialism KCNA 29 Aug 2009 -- Socialism is the idea and revolutionary banner of the popular mass struggling for independence, Rodong Sinmun Friday says in a signed article.
- UAE Seizes Ship Allegedly Carrying North Korean Weapons VOA 29 Aug 2009 -- Diplomatic officials say the United Arab Emirates seized a ship earlier this month allegedly carrying North Korean weapons to Iran
- North, South Korea Reach Agreement on Family Reunions VOA 28 Aug 2009 -- Red Cross envoys from North and South Korea agree to hold reunions for separated families
- Valuable Mountain of Korea KCNA 27 Aug 2009 -- The Komdok area in the northeastern part of South Hamgyong Province is called as "Kumgol" (gold valley), "Tonsan" (mountain of money) and "Paekgumsan" (white gold mountain).
- U.S. Strategy for Aggression against DPRK Blasted KCNA 27 Aug 2009 -- The United States foolishly seeks to realize its strategy for aggression against the DPRK by pushing the situation on the Korean Peninsula to the worst phase and, furthermore, create an international environment favorable for carrying out its strategy for world hegemony.
- U.S. Urged to Roll back Its Hostile Policy toward DPRK KCNA 27 Aug 2009 -- Members of the delegation of the World Peace Council on a visit to the DPRK denounced the U.S. for threatening peace on the Korean Peninsula and obstructing the reunification of Korea and urged it to roll back its hostile policy towards the DPRK.
- N.Korea promises to release S.Korean fishermen on Saturday RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2009 -- In the latest move to rebuild ties with Seoul, North Korea has announced that it will free on Saturday four South Korean fishermen detained last month in its territorial waters.
- North, South Korea agree to hold reunion of separated families RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2009 -- Delegations from North and South Korea agreed at talks on Friday to hold reunions in late September of families separated by the Korean War more than half a century ago.
- South Korea Presses North for More Reunions VOA 27 Aug 2009 -- South Korea is urging North Korea to allow reunions of families that have been separated for half a century to be held on a regular basis.
- Performance of Extravaganza "Arirang" Continues KCNA 26 Aug 2009 -- The grand gymnastic and artistic performance "Arirang", a "Kim Il Sung Prize" laureate, is staged at the May Day Stadium located on Rungna Islet of Pyongyang amid great interest of peoples at home and abroad.
- Ryongpho Revolutionary Site Draws Endless Stream of Visitors KCNA 26 Aug 2009 -- The Ryongpho Revolutionary Site was visited by General Secretary Kim Jong Il on Aug. 26, Juche 90 (2001) while providing Songun revolutionary leadership. It is now drawing a large crowd of servicepersons, people from all walks of life and school youth and children everyday.
- U.S. Strategy for Preemptive Nuclear Attack Blasted KCNA 26 Aug 2009 -- The U.S. imperialists are pursuing a strategy for preemptive nuclear attack in a bid to hold military hegemony in Asia-Pacific. This strategy is mainly targeted against the DPRK, says Rodong Sinmun Wednesday in a signed article.
- Envoys from Two Koreas Meet to Discuss Family Reunions VOA 26 Aug 2009 -- Delegations from South and North Korea are meeting to discuss the resumption of family reunions. Thousands of families remain separated by the political division of the Korean peninsula.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to May 11 Smeltery KCNA 25 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to the May 11 Smeltery rebuilt on an expansion basis.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Music Skit KCNA 25 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il enjoyed music skit "Our Dear Ones Have Become Heroes" together with servicepersons.
- Anniversary of Start of Songun Revolutionary Leadership Observed KCNA 25 Aug 2009 -- A concert was given by the State Symphony Orchestra at the People's Palace of Culture on Tuesday to mark the 49th anniversary of General Secretary
Kim Jong Il's start of Songun revolutionary leadership.
- Anniversary of Start of Songun Revolutionary Leadership Editorially Observed KCNA 25 Aug 2009 -- Leading papers Tuesday editorially observe the 49th anniversary of General Secretary Kim Jong Il's start of Songun revolutionary leadership. They say that his nearly half a century-long history of Songun revolutionary leadership is a glorious history of revolutionary activities of a peerless strategist and statesman and invincible and iron-willed commander.
- Kim Jong Il Authors Lots of Works KCNA 25 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il has authored and published lots of famous works developing and enriching the revolutionary idea of President Kim Il Sung, the Songun idea, through his tireless ideological and theoretical activities over the last nearly five decades since he started his Songun revolutionary leadership.
- Kim Jong Il's Service to Increasing Political and Military Strength KCNA 25 Aug 2009 -- The DPRK has been demonstrating its dignity as an invincible socialist power century after century under the banner of Songun.
- US Resists Direct Talks with N. Korea VOA 25 Aug 2009 -- The Obama administration reaffirmed Tuesday it is not interested in talks with North Korea outside the framework of Chinese-sponsored six-party negotiations on that country's nuclear program. South Korean news reports say Pyongyang has invited two U.S. senior diplomats to visit next month.
- Reports: North Korea Invites US Envoy for Nuclear Talks VOA 25 Aug 2009 -- Reports from South Korea say North Korea has invited the U.S. special envoy for the communist nation to visit next month for talks on its nuclear arms program.
- National Meeting Marks Anniversary of Start of Songun Revolutionary Leadership KCNA 24 Aug 2009 -- A national meeting took place at the April 25 House of Culture here Monday to mark the 49th anniversary of General Secretary Kim Jong Il's start of Songun revolutionary leadership.
- UFG Termed Test Nuclear War against DPRK KCNA 24 Aug 2009 -- The Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises being staged by the U.S. imperialists and the south Korean warmongers are a test nuclear war against the DPRK to all intents and purposes and reckless saber rattling of the U.S. bellicose forces to invent a pretext for igniting a new war by driving the military confrontation and tension in the Korean Peninsula to an extreme phase.
- Scientific and Technological Successes in DPRK KCNA 24 Aug 2009 -- Scientists and technicians of the DPRK have of late solved lots of scientific and technological problems to make a positive contribution to the building of a great, prosperous and powerful nation.
- US Pushes to Enforce N. Korea Sanctions VOA 24 Aug 2009 -- A senior U.S. envoy says Washington is cooperating closely with South Korea to ensure United Nations sanctions against North Korea are carried out. However, Washington is leaving room for the South to revive its economic cooperation with Pyongyang.
- North Korea Weekly (August 17 - 23, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 957 (Aug 17 to Aug 23, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Special Envoy Group of DPRK Meets Lee Myung Bak KCNA 23 Aug 2009 -- The special envoy group which visited Seoul to mourn the death of ex-President Kim Dae Jung upon the authorization of Kim Jong Il, chairman of the National Defence Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, met President of south Korea Lee Myung Bak on Sunday.
- Kim's Funeral Opens Door to High Level Thaw Between North, South Korea VOA 23 Aug 2009 -- On the day South Korea formally bid farewell to its former president, the country's current president held a groundbreaking meeting with a team of high-level North Korean envoys visiting to pay respects.
- North Korean Delegation Requests Meeting with South Korean President VOA 22 Aug 2009 -- South Koreas official news agency said Saturday that a North Korean delegation in Seoul has asked for a meeting with President Lee Myung-bak.
- Special Envoy Group Leaves for Seoul KCNA 21 Aug 2009 -- Upon authorization of Kim Jong Il, chairman of the National Defence Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, a special envoy group led by Kim Ki Nam, secretary of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, left here Friday by special plane to mourn the death of ex-President Kim Dae Jung.
- Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Start of Songun Revolutionary Leadership Observed by Young People KCNA 21 Aug 2009 -- A meeting took place by youth and students at the Central Youth Hall on Friday to mark the 49th anniversary of General Secretary Kim Jong Il's start of Songun revolutionary leadership.
- Korean People Will Deal Merciless Annihilating Strike to Aggressors KCNA 21 Aug 2009 -- The U.S. imperialists and the Lee Myung Bak group of traitors have been frantically staging the large-scale Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises for aggression across south Korea from August 17.
- US Spurns Separate-Channel Talks With North Korea VOA 20 Aug 2009 -- Obama administration not interested in direct talks with North Korea outside the framework of Chinese-sponsored 6-party talks.
- US Envoy Praises Singapore for Enforcing Sanctions on North Korea VOA 20 Aug 2009 -- US envoy praised Singapore's efforts to enforce UN sanctions imposed on North Korea.
- New Mexico Governor, N. Korean Diplomats Continue Talks VOA 20 Aug 2009 -- Bill Richardson will host more rare talks with North Korean diplomats, in what he calls a "hopeful sign" of improving relations.
- KCNA and Landing Operation Exercise KCNA 20 Aug 2009 -- ROK Special Warfare Command staged naval intrusion exercise in the waters of the West Sea of Korea.
- KCNA and US-ROK Exercises KCNA 20 Aug 2009 -- US and South Korea describing the Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises as defensive.
- Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Start of Songun Revolutionary Leadership Observed KCNA 20 Aug 2009 -- Meetings were separately held to mark anniversary of Kim Jong Il's start of revolutionary leadership.
- KCNA and Ulji Freedom Guardian KCNA 19 Aug 2009 -- Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises kicked off by the U.S. and the south Koreans.
- US-S. Korea War Exercises Censured KCNA 19 Aug 2009 -- Spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry gave answer question as regards the Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises.
- US Not Ready to Declare Thaw in N. Korea Relations VOA 19 Aug 2009 -- Obama administration welcomes seemingly-conciliatory gestures but says it is not ready to say relations have begun to thaw.
- N. Korean Officials Meet with US Governor Richardson VOA 19 Aug 2009 -- Two North Korean diplomats are meeting with U.S. Governor Bill Richardson Wednesday in Santa Fe in the western state of New Mexico.
- DPRK Mourning Delegation to Visit Seoul KCNA 19 Aug 2009 -- Special envoy group led by Kim Ki Nam will visit Seoul from August 21 to 22 to mourn over the death of ex-President Kim Dae Jung.
- North Korea to send delegation to South for Kim Dae-jung funeral RIA Novosti 19 Aug 2009 -- North Korea to send officials to the funeral of ex- South Korean president Kim Dae-jung.
- North Korea to Send Delegation to South for Kim Dae-jung Funeral VOA 19 Aug 2009 -- North Korea plans to send a delegation to the funeral of former South Korean President Kim Dae-jung.
- Kim Jong Il Sends Message of Condolences KCNA 19 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il today sent a message of condolences to the bereaved family of Kim Dae Jung, ex-president of south Korea.
- Anniversary of Establishment of State Quality Control System Observed KCNA 18 Aug 2009 -- Meeting held at the People's Palace of Culture to mark anniversary of the establishment of the state quality control system.
- Kim Jong Il Provides Field Guidance to Kujang Fish Farm KCNA 18 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il, provided field guidance to the Kujang Fish Farm rebuilt on an expansion basis.
- US Senator: Burma Denies Nuclear Plans VOA 17 Aug 2009 -- US Senator Jim Webb: Government denies reports that it is trying to acquire nuclear technology.
- KPA Supreme Command Orders Army, People and Country to Be on Special Alert KCNA 17 Aug 2009 -- Supreme Command of the KPA made report as regards the Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises.
- North Korea puts troops on alert over U.S.-South Korean drills RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2009 -- N. Korea ordered its troops onto a state of full combat readiness as US and S. Korea started military drills.
- KCNA and US-ROK Joint Military Exercises KCNA 17 Aug 2009 -- Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises will stage till August. 27 in south Korea.
- Joint Press Release by KAPPC and Hyundai Group KCNA 17 Aug 2009 -- A joint press release between the Korea Asia-Pacific Peace Committee and the Hyundai Group of south Korea was made public.
- Corporate Diplomacy Opens Door for Renewal of Inter-Korean Projects VOA 17 Aug 2009 -- Visit of a S. Korean chief executive to N. Korea has produced first steps in thawing frozen inter-Korean economic projects.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Guidance to Industrial Establishments KCNA 17 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave on-site guidance to Pukchang Thermal Power Complex and the February 8 Jikdong Youth Coal Mine.
- North Korea Weekly (August 10 - 16, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 956 (Aug 10 to Aug 16, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- KPA Denounces Projected U.S.-S. Korea Joint Military Exercises KCNA 16 Aug 2009 -- Panmunjom Mission of the Korean People's Army denounced the Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises.
- Pyongyang threatens retaliation over joint S.Korea-U.S. exercise RIA Novosti 16 Aug 2009 -- Pyongyang blasted as nuclear war preparations on Sunday coming South Korea-U.S. military drills and threatened with retaliation, Yonhap said.
- Kim Jong Il Receives Head of S. Korean Hyundai Group KCNA 16 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il received Hyon Jong Un, chairperson of the Hyundai Group of south Korea.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Guidance to Newly-built Shop KCNA 16 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il gave on-site guidance to the newly-built Pothonggang Shop.
- DPR Korea’s release of detained foreign worker ?positive’ move – Ban UN News Centre 14 Aug 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the release of a national of the Republic of Korea who had been detained by the authorities of the Democratic Peoples’ Republic of Korea (DPRK) since 30 March, calling it a “positive” move by Pyongyang.
- Kim Jong Il Gives Field Guidance to Updated Songdowon Youth Open-Air Theatre KCNA 13 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il provided field guidance to the updated Songdowon Youth Open-Air Theatre.
- Kim Jong Il Enjoys Art Performances KCNA 13 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il, together with servicepersons enjoyed art performances given by the art group of servicemen's families and servicepersons of a company under a sub-unit of KPA Unit 974.
- "Selected Works of Kim Jong Il" Off Press KCNA 13 Aug 2009 -- The Workers' Party of Korea Publishing House brought out Vol. 1 (enlarged edition) of "Selected Works of Kim Jong Il" which comprehensively deals with works of General Secretary Kim Jong Il.
- Traffic Control Platform beneath Umbrella Installed at Intersections of Pyongyang KCNA 13 Aug 2009 -- Unique platforms under umbrellas are being set up in traffic control posts at intersections of Pyongyang these days, attracting attention of people.
- Sightseeing Ship "Pyongyang No.1" KCNA 13 Aug 2009 -- The Ryongwang Pier on the opposite bank of the Tower of Juche Idea in Pyongyang is crowded with people getting aboard and off the sightseeing ship "Pyongyang No.1".
- US Envoy Returning to Asia for North Korea Sanctions Talks VOA 13 Aug 2009 -- The State Department said Thursday its special envoy for implementing U.N.-mandated sanctions against North Korea will return to Asia next week for more talks on tightening economic curbs against Pyongyang.
- North Korea Releases Detained South Korean Executive VOA 13 Aug 2009 -- A South Korean executive is free and back home after more than four months of isolated captivity in North Korea. His release follows a four-day mission by the corporate chairwoman who employs him, and whose company has invested massively into the North's impoverished economy.
- Kim Jong Il Inspects Kim Jong Suk Naval University KCNA 12 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il inspected Kim Jong Suk Naval University.
- Kim Jong Il Appreciates Drama KCNA 12 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il appreciated together with servicepersons of the People's Army drama "A Sentry under a Neon Lamp" at the Hamhung Grand Theatre.
- New Books Published KCNA 12 Aug 2009 -- The Literature and Art Publishing House has recently brought out new books.
- Japan's Policy of Overseas Aggression Flayed KCNA 12 Aug 2009 -- Japan recently worked out a report which would serve as a basis for "defence program guidelines" at "round-table talks on security and defence capability."
- Lee Group Entirely to Blame for Having Brought Inter-Korean Relations to Collapse KCNA 12 Aug 2009 -- With no rhetoric can the Lee Myung Bak group evade the responsibility for having brought to collapse the inter-Korean relations which had favorably developed in the spirit of "By our nation itself" and escalated the confrontation with fellow countrymen. Rodong Sinmun Wednesday observes this in a signed article.
- Extravaganza "Arirang" Starts KCNA 11 Aug 2009 -- The grand gymnastic and artistic performance "Arirang" for this year started at the May Day Stadium Monday.
- Taehongdan Flourishing with Potato Farming KCNA 11 Aug 2009 -- Taehongdan in the northeastern area of Ryanggang Province in the northern inland of Korea is well-known as the place thriving with potato farming today.
- Spokesman for Foreign Ministry Clarifies Stand on S. Korea's Projected Satellite Launch KCNA 10 Aug 2009 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on Monday gave the following answer to the question raised by KCNA as regards foreign press reports that south Korea would launch a satellite soon:
- N. Korea awaits international response to S. Korea rocket launch RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2009 -- North Korea said on Monday it will closely watch the international reaction on South Korea's planned launch of a carrier rocket with a satellite on board following criticism of a similar launch conducted by Pyongyang.
- North Korea Weekly (August 3 - 9, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 955 (Aug 3 to Aug 9, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- US Official: Kim Jong Il in Full Control in N.Korea VOA 09 Aug 2009 -- The U.S. national security adviser says North Korean leader Kim Jong Il still appears to be in "full control" of his government.
- Activists Voice Concern Following N. Korea's Release of US Journalists VOA 07 Aug 2009 -- American journalists Laura Ling and Euna Lee safely back home after more than 4 months imprisonment in N. Korea.
- U.S. briefs Russia on Bill Clinton's visit to North Korea RIA Novosti 07 Aug 2009 -- Washington has briefed Moscow on the outcome of former President Bill Clinton's visit to North Korea.
- Clinton's Surprise Visit To North Korea Marks New Challenge VOA 06 Aug 2009 -- Former US President Clinton made a surprise visit to North Korea to win the freedom for two jailed American journalists.
- US Journalist Release Renews Attention on S. Korean Detainees VOA 06 Aug 2009 -- This week's release of two captive U.S. journalists by North Korea is being welcomed around the world, including in South Korea.
- Korean Victims Mark Atomic Bomb Anniversary VOA 06 Aug 2009 -- Sixty-four years ago, the United States dropped the first nuclear weapon used in war on the Japanese city of Hiroshima.
- Obama Welcomes Return of Journalists Jailed in N. Korea VOA 05 Aug 2009 -- US President Obama is welcoming the release of two American journalists who were detained in North Korea.
- Statement by US President on the Release of Journalists by North Korea The White House 05 Aug 2009
- US Journalists Back in United States After North Korea Ordeal VOA 05 Aug 2009 -- US journalists held for nearly 5 months in North Korea are back in the United States.
- Bill Clinton brings U.S. journalists home from North Korean jail RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2009 -- Former U.S. President Bill Clinton has secured the release of two American journalists detained by North Korea in March.
- Report on Bill Clinton's Visit to DPRK Made Public KCNA 04 Aug 2009 -- Former U.S. President Bill Clinton and his party visited the Democratic People's Republic of Korea from August 4 to 5.
- Clinton, Freed Journalists Head Home From North Korea VOA 04 Aug 2009 -- Two U.S. journalists released from detention in North Korea are on their way back to the United States.
- North Korea Pardons US Journalists VOA 04 Aug 2009 -- North Korea has pardoned two U.S. journalists who were jailed in June for illegally entering the country from China.
- Bill Clinton meets with North Korean leader RIA Novosti 04 Aug 2009 -- Former US President Bill Clinton met with N. Korean leader Kim Jong-il, and conveyed a verbal message from President Obama.
- Kim Jong Il Meets Former U.S. President Bill Clinton KCNA 04 Aug 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il today met with former U.S. President Bill Clinton and his party on a visit to the DPRK.
- Bill Clinton Meets With N. Korean Leader VOA 04 Aug 2009 -- Former US President Bill Clinton has met in with N. Korean leader Kim Jong Il, on a mission to negotiate release of American journalists.
- White House Press Secretary Statement On Former US President Clinton's Trip to North Korea The White House 04 Aug 2009
- Ex-U.S. President Clinton makes surprise visit to North Korea RIA Novosti 04 Aug 2009 -- Former US President Clinton arrived in Pyongyang on a visit that could secure the release of 2 American journalists.
- Former US President Bill Clinton Arrives in Pyongyang VOA 04 Aug 2009 -- North Korea's official news agency says former U.S. President Bill Clinton has arrived in Pyongyang, on an apparent mission to negotiate the release of two detained American journalists
- U.S. gives recommendations to Russia on banking with N.Korea RIA Novosti 04 Aug 2009 -- Deputy Assistant Secretary to the US Under Secretary of the Treasury handed Moscow additional recommendations on private banks operating with N. Korea.
- Report: Defectors Allege Burma Seeking to Build Nuclear Weapons with North Korea's Help VOA 03 Aug 2009 -- Researchers in Thailand: 2 defectors from Burma say government has secret nuclear program.
- North Korea Weekly (July 27 - August 2, 2009) National Intelligence Service
- Weekly Report on North Korea No. 954 (July 27 to Aug 2, 2009) ROK Ministry of Unification
- Bush Urges Unified Action Against North Korea VOA 01 Aug 2009 -- Former U.S. President George W. Bush has urged the five nations involved in nuclear disarmament talks with North Korea to send a clear message to Pyongyang to end its nuclear weapons program.
- N. Korea Says S. Korean Boat Illegally Entered Its Waters VOA 01 Aug 2009 -- North Korea said Saturday that a South Korean fishing boat it seized Thursday had entered its territorial waters illegally.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list