24 April 2010 Military News
- Airpower Summary: April 22 AFNS 24 Apr 2010
- Airpower Summary: April 21 AFNS 24 Apr 2010
- Ospreys Flying High, Fast Supporting War in Afghanistan USMC News 24 Apr 2010
- NATO boss reiterates 'no' to early troop withdrawal from Afghanistan IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Saturday reaffirmed his opposition to an early pullout from Afghanistan amid the rising death toll of western troops in the war-stricken country.
- Gunmen attack NATO oil tankers, 4 policemen killed: police IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- Unidentified gunmen in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province Saturday night attacked tankers carrying oil for NATO troops in Afghanistan, a senior police officer said.
- U.S drone strike kills 9 in Pakistan IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- A U.S. drone aircraft killed at least nine people in a Pakistani tribal region on Friday, local TV channels reported.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Lincoln Strike Group Transitions to Navy's Virtualized Network Navy NewsStand 24 Apr 2010 -- USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) experienced improved connectivity, bandwidth and network availability during January 2010 sea trials due to a key modernization initiative.
- NSAWC Holds Change of Command Ceremony Navy NewsStand 24 Apr 2010 -- Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center (NSAWC) held a change of command ceremony on board Naval Air Station (NAS) Fallon, Nev., April 23.
- New Hampshire Crew Welcomes New Commander Navy NewsStand 24 Apr 2010 -- USS New Hampshire (SSN 778) held a change of command ceremony April 22 at Naval Submarine Base New London's Shepherd of the Sea Chapel in Groton, Conn.
- First Beam Produced at New Radiation Testing Facility Navy NewsStand 24 Apr 2010 -- Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Crane and the Indiana University Cyclotron Facility (IUCF) produced the first measurable beam of electrons at the new Advanced Electron-Photon Facility (ALPHA) during a major test that began March 30 in Bloomington, Ind.
- Naval Base Coronado Celebrates Newly Renovated Berth Lima Navy NewsStand 24 Apr 2010 -- A ceremony celebrating the completion of the newly renovated Berth Lima at Naval Base Coronado (NBC) North Island was held April 9 in Coronado, Calif.
- New Commanding Officer to Complete USS Philadelphia Legacy Navy NewsStand 24 Apr 2010 -- USS Philadelphia (SSN 690) held a change of command ceremony at Naval Submarine Base New London April 23 in Groton, Conn.
- NMCB 3 Fleet Rates Learn Seabee Skills Navy NewsStand 24 Apr 2010 -- Sailors in Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3's headquarters company conducted unit driven training in Port Hueneme, Calif., April 15 to prepare them for their upcoming Afghanistan deployment in November 2010.
- NMCB 3 Initiates Unit Driven Training Navy NewsStand 24 Apr 2010 -- Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3 Charlie Company engage in unit driven training (UDT) during their homeport period at Naval Base Ventura County's Port Hueneme, Calif., March 30.
- 10-day Indo-US naval wargames begin in Arabian Sea IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- The Indo and US naval forces began a 10-day wargames in the Arabian Sea on Friday to strengthen bilateral relations for maintaining peace and stability.
- Congressional Panel Told Corruption Allegations At Kyrgyz Air Base Hurt U.S. Image RFE/RL 24 Apr 2010 -- As the turmoil in Kyrgyzstan following the ouster of former President Kurmanbek Bakiev has begun to settle, concern in Washington over the fate of the U.S. air base in that country is escalating.
- Japan's PM Rejects 2006 Plan for US Air Base Relocation VOA 24 Apr 2010 -- Japan's Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has repeated his objection to a 2006 plan to relocate a U.S. air base on the southern island of Okinawa.
- South Korea Raises Second Half of Sunken Warship VOA 24 Apr 2010 -- South Korea's military has recovered the remaining section of a warship that sank last month after an explosion that a media report blames on North Korea.
- Iran to inaugurate production line of unmanned plane IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- Iran will inaugurate production line of unmanned planes, Commander of Aerospace Unit of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps said on Saturday.
- MP: IRGC maneuver aims to promote peace, friendship in region IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- Member of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Ali Aqazadeh said on Saturday that the IRGC maneuver in the Persian Gulf region code-named “Holy Prophet 5” aims to promote peace, friendship and brotherhood among countries of the region.
- 3rd phase of IRGC maneuver ends successfully in Persian Gulf IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- The 3rd stage of the IRGC war game dubbed “Holy Prophet 5” ended successfully in the Persian Gulf region, a military official said Saturday.
- IRGC drill, exercise to defend PG islands: Commander IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- The onging military drill of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps’ forces is aimed at exercising how to stop possible penetration of hypothetical enemy to the Persian Gulf islands, an IRGC commander said Saturday.
- 3rd stage of IRGC military drill starts IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- The third stage of the IRGC military exercises dubbed the “Holy Prophet 5” started in the Persian Gulf region with the attack of the hypothetical enemy.
- Russian warship Moskva prepares to call at port in Oman RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2010 -- The Russian missile cruiser Moskva will call at the Omani port of Muscat on Saturday to replenish water and food supplies, a Navy spokesman said.
- Thousands Protest In Ukraine Over Russia Fleet Deal RFE/RL 24 Apr 2010 -- Several thousand Ukrainians have rallied in front of parliament to protest against a deal allowing Russia to keep its navy in Ukraine's Crimea for another 25 years.
- Abbas Rejects Palestinian State Within Temporary Borders VOA 24 Apr 2010 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is rejecting an idea published by Israel media that would create a Palestinian state within temporary borders.
- War Reparations Program in Sierra Leone Needs Money VOA 24 Apr 2010 -- An official with the Sierra Leone Truth and Reconciliation Commission says reparations have been paid to about 20,000 victims of the country's long-running civil war. She says the Commission would like to extend this program to a further 12,000 victims, but lacks the funds needed to provide cash grants and skills training to these people.
- Interview: Georgia's 'Little War' Raises Big Questions RFE/RL 24 Apr 2010 -- Was the August 2008 war between Russia and Georgia a fight over small separatist provinces? Or did it represent something larger?
- Iraqi Officials Warn Deputies' Wages, Benefits Too High RFE/RL 24 Apr 2010 -- Senior Iraqi officials say the high salaries and other benefits given to parliament members and top-ranking state officials need to be cut because they will drain the budget, RFE/RL's Radio Free Iraq reports.
- Iraqi Cleric Calls on Followers to Defend Against Attacks VOA 24 Apr 2010 -- An influential Shi'ite cleric in Iraq is urging followers to defend Shi'ite communities after a series of blasts killed at least 69 people throughout Iraq Friday.
- Pakistan begins Benazir Bhutto’s murder probe IRNA 24 Apr 2010 -- Pakistan Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani Saturday formed a high level committee to begin investigation into the assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, the Prime Minister’s office said.
- Medvedev does not rule out running for president in 2012 RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2010 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said Saturday he does not rule out running for president again in the 2012 election.
- Russian rocket puts U.S. satellite into space RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2010 -- Russia's space forces launched on Saturday a Proton-M rocket carrying a U.S. satellite, the Defense Ministry said.
- Armenia Marks Anniversary Of Massacre Amid Fresh Tensions With Turkey RFE/RL 24 Apr 2010 -- Armenia today marked the 95th anniversary of the mass killing of Armenians in Ottoman Turkey, days after a landmark reconciliation deal between Armenia and Turkey collapsed.
- Former Armenian Military Officials Admit To Leaking Document RFE/RL 24 Apr 2010 -- Two former Armenian Defense Ministry officials have admitted to disclosing a secret government order paving the way for military involvement in suppressing the deadly 2008 opposition protests in Yerevan, RFE/RL's Armenian Service reports.
- UN rights chief encouraged by positive changes in Persian Gulf countries UN News Centre 24 Apr 2010 -- A top United Nations official today urged Member States of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) to continue the current trend of reforms intended to improve human rights, saying authorities in the region had facilitated several positive social changes.
- Thai PM Rejects Protesters' Compromise Demand VOA 24 Apr 2010 -- Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has rejected an offer by anti-government protesters to end their occupation of central Bangkok if he dissolved parliament within 30 days.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|