01 September 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Text: Newsom on Small Arms Use and Proliferation USIA 01 September 1999 -- Small arms proliferation is a symptom of increased intrastate conflicts and is "a problem that is not amenable to simple or quick solution and will be with us for the long term," says Eric David Newsom, Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs.
- Boeing Delivers First WAH-64 Apache Longbow Helicopter Kit to GKN Westland Helicopters Boeing 01 Sep 1999 -- The Boeing Company has delivered the first of 59 WAH-64 Apache Longbow helicopter kits to GKN Westland Helicopters Ltd., of Yeovil, England.
- General Dynamics Completes Acquisition of GTE Government Systems for $1.05 Billion General Dynamics 01 Sep 1999 -- General Dynamics (NYSE: GD) has completed its acquisition of GTE Government Systems Corporation for $1.05 billion in cash. In addition, General Dynamics has named the current leaders of the three Government Systems businesses as unit presidents.
- 1 September 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 01 Sep 1999
- EAST TIMOR CONSULTATION Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- The first meeting of a U-N-sponsored "reconciliation" commission in East Timor has collapsed because pro-Jakarta representatives did not attend.
- EAST TIMOR ELECTION Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- This week's vote on the troubled island of East Timor, part of the Indonesian archipelago, has attracted a good deal of attention in the United States.
- EAST TIMOR Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- There has been more violence in East Timor as counting of ballots from Monday's referendum on autonomy or independence for the territory gets underway.
- EAST TIMOR / VIOLENCE Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- Violence rocked the United Nations headquarters in the East Timorese capital, Dili, on Wednesday with a clash between armed militia men and supporters of independence.
- U-N - E. TIMOR VIOLENCE Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- U-N Secretary-General Kofi Annan has called on the government of Indonesia to arrest those responsible for violence directed at the compound of the U-N mission - UNAMET - in East Timor.
- INDONESIA - EAST TIMOR Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- Indonesian opposition leader and presidential front-runner Megawati Sukarnotputri, has appealed for calm in East Timor.
- ANGOLA / UNITA / STARVATION Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- Credible reports have surfaced of widespread starvation and disease in the vast areas of war-torn Angola controlled by rebels of the UNITA movement.
- INDONESIAN MILITARY RESPONSE ON EAST TIMOR IS "SERIOUSLY INADEQUATE" USIA 01 September 1999 -- The response of the Indonesian military to renewed militia violence on East Timor is "seriously inadequate" and not in keeping with its agreement of May 5.
- UN SECURITY COUNCIL CONDEMNS EAST TIMOR VIOLENCE USIA 01 September 1999 -- The UN Security Council has condemned "in the strongest terms" the violence that has occurred in Dili, East Timor, since the region's UN-sponsored referendum on independence and demanded that local and Indonesian authorities take immediate steps to maintain security.
- RUSSIA / DAGESTAN Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- Russian forces say they have occupied a village in the southern Dagestan region that had been under control of Muslim militants for almost a year.
- The Generals Are Prepared To Carry Out any Order, but They Don't Want to Conquer Chechnya for the Time Being by Viktor Litovkin Moscow Obshchaya Gazeta 30 Sep 1999 - Troop, Armaments Deployment for Chechnya Operation
- THE LOGISTICS OF THE COUNTER-TERRORIST OPERATION IN THE NORTH CAUCASUS Participants: VLADIMIR I. ISSAKOV - Colonel-General, Head of Logistics of the Russian Armed Forces, Deputy Defence Minister and IVAN M. CHIZH - Colonel-General (Medicine), Head of the Main Military-Medical Directorate of the Defence Ministry -- 09.12.1999
- Results of the Fulfilment of Official Combat Tasks by the Russian Interior Ministry Troops in 1999. Interior Ministry Troops Participation in Anti-Terrorist Operation in Chechnya VYACHESLAV V. OVCHINNIKOV - Colonel-General, Deputy Minister of the Interior Ministry and Commander-in-Chief of the Interior Ministry troops 09.12.1999
- RUSSIA BOMB Voice of America 01 September 1999 -- An investigation into the bombing of a Moscow shopping mall is focusing on a previously unknown group opposed to the growth of Western-style consumerism in Russia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|