Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 June 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Officials Work to Clear Up Misconceptions About Funding in Iraq AFPS 22 Jun 2005 -- Money dispersed by the Coalition Provisional Authority from the Development Fund for Iraq were properly distributed to the new Iraqi government in an open and transparent manner, Defense officials told Congress June 21.
- Rice Thanks Brussels Conference Participants for Support of Iraq Washington File 22 Jun 2005 -- Citing the opening of "a new chapter for the international community and for Iraq as we lay the foundation today for a new international partnership for the people of Iraq on their journey toward democracy," Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice thanked participants in the International Conference on Iraq for their support for a new vision for Iraq.
- Rice Calls on All Nations To Back Iraqi Government's Goals Washington File 22 Jun 2005 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has urged all nations to recall how they have benefited from the help of other countries in their struggles against tyranny and to provide support for the new Iraqi government as it works to establish democratic institutions, economic prosperity and security.
- US not against good Iran-Iraq ties IRNA 22 Jun 2005 -- US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, said Wednesday that it is a "good thing" that Iran and Iraq have good relations.
- At world conference, Annan calls for broad burden-sharing in Iraq UN News Centre 22 Jun 2005 -- Opening an international conference on Iraq in Brussels today, United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan urged the international community to share more broadly the burden of the reconstruction and stabilization of the war-torn country in a way that has a positive impact on the lives of ordinary Iraqis.
- Annan Says International Community Determined To Support Iraq Washington File 22 Jun 2005 -- Calling the International Conference on Iraq a watershed for that country, U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said the attendance by nearly half the world's nations shows that "the international community supports the government and people of Iraq and we are determined that the reconstruction of Iraq . . . must succeed."
- UN Official Resigns amid Allegations of Misconduct VOA 22 Jun 2005 -- A senior United Nations purchasing official has resigned amid allegations of misconduct.
- Brussels Conference to Build International Partnership for Iraq AFPS 22 Jun 2005 -- The Iraqi government and the international community are in Belgium today discussing priorities, aspirations and expectations for the future, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said in opening remarks at the Brussels Conference hosted by the United States and the European Union.
- Zebari: Iraq will understand if US starts troop pull out IRNA 22 Jun 2005 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said Tuesday that Baghdad would not be surprised if US withdrew its forces from the country early next year.
- Conference Declares Support for Iraq, Pledges Help for Reconstruction VOA 22 Jun 2005 -- A one-day international conference in Brussels that brought together more than 80 countries and organizations has pledged its support for Iraq's transitional government and its plans for political and judicial reform and economic reconstruction.
- Iraq turns page in ties with int'l community IRNA 22 Jun 2005 -- Foreign Ministers and officials from over 80 countries and international organisations Wednesday pledged to support Iraq's political transition process and its economic recovery and reconstruction.
- Iraq: Backers Weigh Country's Future At Brussels Conference RFE/RL 22 Jun 2005 -- An international conference on the future of Iraq is under way in Brussels. More than 80 countries and international organizations are present, among them the secretary-generals of the United Nations and NATO, foreign ministers of all EU member states, as well as the United States, and Iraq's neighbors.
- Iraq Conference Ends With Vows On Debt, Security, Aid RFE/RL 22 Jun 2005 -- Officials from some 80 countries today rallied world help for Iraq and expressed support for the democratization of the country at an international conference in Brussels.
- Conference Vows Help for Iraq, Urges Role for Sunnis VOA 22 Jun 2005 -- Senior officials from more than 80 countries and organizations are meeting in Brussels to rally support for Iraq's elected government as it moves to secure and rebuild the country.
- Iraq: Minister Has Ambitious Plans For Oil Sector RFE/RL 22 Jun 2005 -- In May, transitional Oil Minister Ibrahim Bahr al-Ulum set an ambitious program to encourage productivity and foreign investment in the oil sector. The plan calls for reducing attacks on Iraq's oil infrastructure, reducing corruption in the oil sector, and improving fuel availability at home.
- IRAQ: Water main attack affects two million in Baghdad IRIN 22 Jun 2005 -- Two million Baghdad residents have been without drinking water since 19 June after saboteurs targeted a major water main in the capital.
- IRAQ: Salaries increased to improve education IRIN 22 Jun 2005 -- Salaries have been increased and in some cases have doubled for university lecturers in Iraq in an effort to improve the dilapidated education system and encourage academics to return to the country to resume work.
- NATO Urges All Countries To Help Iraq Build Democracy, Stability Washington File 22 Jun 2005 -- Speaking at the International Conference on Iraq co-hosted by the European Union and the United States June 22, NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer outlined the alliance's role in training Iraqi security personnel and urged all countries to help Iraq build on what has been achieved so far.
- Kharrazi : Developments augur well for Iraq IRNA 22 Jun 2005 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi said Wednesday that recent developments in Iraq "augur well for the future of Iraq and herald gradual progress toward the rule of law and establishment of civil government."
- Syria says ready for border security cooperation with Iraq IRNA 22 Jun 2005 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Farouq al-Shara said Wednesday his country is "fully ready for practical and tangible cooperation" with the Iraqi government in establishing security at the lengthy borders of the two neighbouring Arab states.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list