Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 January 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 12 Jan 2005 [PDF]
- I MEF Soldier Killed in Al Anbar Province
- Iraqi Police Colonel Rescued by Cavalry Unit MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- The Soldiers of Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 9th Cavalry Regiment, rescued an Iraqi police colonel and his wife Jan. 8 after anti-Iraqi insurgents attacked the two on Baghdad's notorious Haifa Street.
- Daily MNF-I Operations Summary for January 11, 2005 MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Force - Iraq and Iraqi Security forces discovered and cleared 13 improvised explosive devices and cleared 13 weapons caches.
- Iraqi, U.S. soldiers Attacked by Insurgents Firing from Mosque MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers of the Iraqi National Guard and Multi-National Forces came under attack while on a mission to deliver much needed supplies to a school in northern Iraq, Jan.11.
- Task Force Danger Soldiers Detain Individual MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers detained one individual after finding a weapons cache in a house near Samarra on Jan. 11 at about 5:30 p.m.
- Wanted Individual Detained in Raid near Ad Dujayl MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Danger Soldiers detained a wanted individual during a raid near Ad Dujayl at about 10:59 p.m., Jan. 11.
- Three Detained in Joint Raid MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Three individuals were detained during a joint raid near Tuz on Jan. 12 at about 2:08 a.m.
- Airborne Troops Discover Large Weapons Cache MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), discovered a cache of weapons and munitions in northern Iraq on Jan. 11.
- Troops Detain 6 Suspected in Baghdad Governor Slaying MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- An early morning raid on Jan. 11 netted Task Force Baghdad Soldiers six possible insurgents suspected of involvement in the assassination of the governor of Baghdad province.
- 1st Infantry Division Soldiers Find Two Caches MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- First Infantry Division Soldiers from 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry Regiment, conducting a patrol near Samarra, found a cache of weapons on Jan. 12.
- Multi-National Forces Kill Insurgent, Detain Four Others MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), killed an anti-Iraqi insurgent and detained four others during operations in northern Iraq on Jan. 11.
- Iraqi Boy Helps Lead Troops to Roadside Bomb MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), were able to defuse a roadside bomb after an Iraqi boy provided them with information about it in northern Iraq on Jan. 10.
- Soldiers Capture Insurgents, Weapons as Crackdown Continues AFPS 12 Jan 2005 -- With Iraq's national assembly election less than three weeks away, Multinational Force Iraq and Iraqi security forces continue to kill and capture insurgents and get weapons off the streets.
- Marines Uncover Weapons Cache South of Baghdad MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Marines attached to Task Force Baghdad conducted a cordon and search operation in the town of Lutayfiyah on Jan. 12, capturing a weapons cache from the residence of suspected insurgents.
- Joint Patrol Discovers Weapons Cache MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- A weapons cache was discovered in eastern Baghdad by a joint patrol at approximately 2:30 a.m. on January 12.
- Roadside Bomb Discovered in North Babil MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- U.S. Marines attached to Task Force Baghdad found a roadside bomb while on patrol at approximately 2:50 p.m. on Jan. 12, in northern Babil.
- U.S. Soldiers Near Ramadi Assist Injured civilians; Iraqi citizens in Fallujah Assist U.S. Marines MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers from the 1st Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division currently assigned to the 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, provided medical assistance to Iraqi civilians, who were involved in a two-vehicle accident on a main thoroughfare near Ramadi at approximately 6:45 a.m., Jan. 12.
- Cavalry Unit Finds Four Weapons caches in Central Baghdad Raids MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers conducted a series of raids in Central Baghdad, finding four separate weapons caches and detaining four suspected insurgents during the five hour mission.
- Soldiers Detain Iraqi Selling Pistols MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers, while on dismounted patrol at approximately 1:20 p.m. on Jan.12, detained an Iraqi civilian who was selling pistols in a market in southern Baghdad.
- Soldiers Detain Suspect at Baghdad Checkpoint MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers found two rifles, ammunition, explosives and a large amount of U.S. money in one vehicle, at approximately 10:50 a.m., Jan 12, at a checkpoint in northern Baghdad.
- Soldiers Find Rocket Launcher, Detain Two MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- One rocket launcher and two rockets were found by Task Force Baghdad Soldiers outside of a home in northern Babil at approximately 2:50 p.m. on Jan. 12. The Soldiers searched the home and detained two Iraqi civilians. An explosive ordnance team was called to the site, and the explosives were destroyed.
- Horse Detachment Returns to Fort Hood MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers from the 1st Cavalry Division's Horse Cavalry Detachment returned home from Iraq on Jan. 5 to a crowd of family, friends and well-wishers.
- US / IRAQ WEAPONS VOA 12 Jan 2005 -- The United States has ended its search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, after a fruitless effort of more than a year and a half. VOA's Al Pessin reports from the Pentagon that administration officials blame faulty intelligence for their mistaken view of Saddam Hussein's weapons program, and say the invasion that toppled his regime was justified on other grounds anyway.
- US / IRAQ ELECTION VOA 12 Jan 2005 -- The United States will be among 14 countries around the world in which Iraqi expatriates can cast votes in the January 30th Iraqi election. Special voting places are being set up in five American cities.
- January 30 Election Seen "Historic Moment" for Iraq, Whole Region Washington File 12 Jan 2005 -- A delay in holding Iraq's January 30 elections would deviate from the timeline agreed to by Iraqi representatives in the country's March 2004 Transitional Administrative Law (TAL) and would hand Iraqi insurgents a "tactical victory," according to senior Bush administration officials.
- Iraq Humanitarian and Reconstruction Assistance Updates USAID 12 Jan 2005 [PDF]
- IRAQ: Interview with the vice-president of the Higher Independent Election Commission (HIEC), Farid Ayar IRIN 12 Jan 2005 -- Farid Ayar, HIEC vice-president, is responsbile for public relations for the forthcoming Iraqi elections on 30 January. Surrounded by election brochures in an office in Baghdad, he spoke to IRIN in the Iraqi capital about preparations for the historic poll, addressing security issues and voting plans.
- Iraqi Security Forces and Multi-National Forces Increase in Number as Elections Near MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- In an effort to enhance security and stability for the Jan. 30 elections, Iraqi Security Forces and Multi-National Forces increased the number of troops in northern Iraq.
- Reconstruction in Iraq Moving Forward at Steady Clip AFPS 12 Jan 2005 -- Security and reconstruction go hand in hand and are equally critical to Iraq's future, the commander of the Army Corps of Engineers Gulf Region Division told reporters in Baghdad, Iraq, today.
- Jan. 30 Election a 'High Stakes' Event for Iraq AFPS 12 Jan 2005 -- Troops from Multinational Force Iraq are working to ensure every Iraqi who wants to vote has the chance to do so in the Jan. 30 election.
- Iraq: Prime Minister Says Some Areas Will Not Vote In Election RFE/RL 12 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi has acknowledged that areas of Iraq will be too unsafe to take part in the 30 January election. The assessment raises again the question of how free and fair Iraq's vote for a new National Assembly can be given the continuing violence.
- IRAQ / ELECTIONS / SHIITES VOA 12 Jan 2005 -- As Iraq's majority Shiite Muslim community prepares for elections at the end of the month, the voters face a choice between two distinct factions within the Shiite religious circle. The rival factional leaders are not even officially on any ticket.
- National Guard Soldiers Lining up to Sign up in Iraq MNF-I/MNC-I 12 Jan 2005 -- The National Guard Bureau released its new policy on re-enlistment bonuses that took effect Dec. 14, 2004. The Army National Guard tripled its bonuses for possible returning Soldiers in an effort to keep the ranks filled.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list