Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2015 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Israeli PM Blames Iran for Flareup Along Israel-Lebanon Border VOA 29 Jan 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has blamed Iran for Wednesday's deadly flareup along the Lebanese border, the biggest escalation of fighting there since the 2006 war between Israel and the Iranian-backed militant group Hezbollah.
- Iran mulls nuclear talks to speed up: Araqchi IRNA 29 Jan 2015 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said here on Thursday that the Iranian legal experts and negotiating team are to speed up the pace of the talks in a bid to settle the existing differences with P5+1 swiftly.
- Iran's IRGC launches new Parmida crew boat Iran Press TV 29 Jan 2015 -- A new model of Iran's first domestically manufactured crew boat has begun its maiden voyage in the Persian Gulf waters.
- Russia in Talks With Iran on Tor-M1 Missile System Modernization Sputnik 29 Jan 2015 -- Russia's Izhevsk Electromechanical Plant Kupol is in talks with Iran on modernizing the short range Tor-M1 (SA-15 Gauntlet) surface-to-air missile defense systems, the plant's assistant director general told RIA Novosti Thursday.
- Israel to suffer consequences for Golan attack: Iran ISNA 28 Jan 2015 -- An Iranian deputy foreign minister said Zionist regime's officials will suffer the consequences of Tel Aviv's recent airstrike that killed six Hezbollah members and an Iranian commander in Syria's Golan Height.
- Key Senator to Hold Off on Iran Sanctions Vote VOA 27 Jan 2015 -- Democratic U.S. Senator Robert Menendez said Tuesday that he would hold off on pushing his bill to impose additional sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program until after March 24, an interim deadline in the international talks with Tehran.
- Iran serious about peaceful use of N. energy, says Rouhani ISNA 27 Jan 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani reiterated that the Iranian nation is serious about employment of nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
- Iran, G5+1 now discussing details, says Zarif ISNA 27 Jan 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Iran and the P5+1 group are close to reaching a final deal over the Islamic Republic's nuclear energy program, adding that details are now being worked out in the talks.
- Iran Expects Russia to Honor Contract on Delivery of S-300 Missile Systems Sputnik 27 Jan 2015 -- Iran expects Russia to meet its contractual obligations to deliver the S-300 air defense systems, canceled by Moscow after international sanctions were imposed on the country, Iranian Ambassador to Russia Mehdi Sanaei told RIA Novosti in an interview Tuesday.
- Lifting all sanctions a test to West's honesty: Shamkhani IRNA 25 Jan 2015 -- Secretary of Supreme Council of National Security Ali Shamkhani said nuclear negotiations with the Group 5+1 is a test of these countries' commitments to the talks and lifting all the illegal and oppressive sanctions.
- Iranian negotiator calls Zurich talks 'constructive' ISNA 25 Jan 2015 -- Senior Iranian nuclear negotiator described as constructive a deputy-level meeting between the country and the United States in the Swiss city of Zurich.
- Araqchi describes talks as positive IRNA 25 Jan 2015 -- Senior Iranian nuclear negotiator Abbas Araqchi described the atmosphere prevailing talks in Zurich, Switzerland, as positive.
- Sayyari: Navy shoulders heavy task of presence in int'l seas IRNA 24 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Navy shoulders the heavy task of maintaining strong presence on international waters, upon orders of commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces, Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Saturday.
- Iran mulls 'special retaliation' over Israel's Golan attack: Commander Iran Press TV 24 Jan 2015 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says Israel should brace for 'a special retaliation' for killing six members of the Lebanese resistance movement, Hezbollah, and an Iranian general in the Syria's Golan Heights.
- Iran's Leader Urges Western Youth To Learn About Islam RFE/RL 22 Jan 2015 -- one of Iranian hard-liners' preferred social media platforms -- there are dozens of comments praising Khamenei for his "excellent" and "enlightening" letter.
- Russia, Iran Mull Joint Military Drills Under Defense Cooperation Deal Sputnik 22 Jan 2015 -- Iran is interested in implementing proposals by the Russian military to conduct joint exercises, strengthen cooperation in ensuring security in the Caspian region and to expand the exchange of military delegations, the Russian ambassador to Iran told RIA Novosti on Thursday.
- Ayatollah Khamenei Sends Message to the Youth in Europe and North America ISNA 22 Jan 2015 -- In a message to the youth in the Europe and North America, Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei wrote that many attempts have been made over the past two decades to place Islam in the seat of a horrifying enemy.
- Iran to defend Resistance Movement with entire capacity ISNA 21 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan reiterated that the country would support Resistance Movement with all of its potentials and capacity.
- S-300 Defense System Deliveries to Iran Remain Bilateral Issue, Lavrov Says Sputnik 21 Jan 2015 -- The issue of Russia delivering S-300 missile defense systems to Iran is a topic for bilateral discussions and will remain that way, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday.
- Iran, Russia sign military MoU ISNA 20 Jan 2015 -- Iranian and Russian defense ministers signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Tuesday to boost mutual cooperation on defense and military domains.
- Iran, Oman to hold joint naval drill: Iran Navy cmdr. Iran Press TV 20 Jan 2015 -- The naval forces of Iran and Oman plan to hold a joint rescue and relief drill in the waters south of Iran in the coming months.
- Iran, Russia sign defense-military agreement Iran Press TV 20 Jan 2015 -- Iran and Russia have signed an agreement to improve cooperation in defense and military arenas.
- Russia, Iran Sign Joint Military Cooperation Agreement Sputnik 20 Jan 2015 -- Russia and Iran signed on Tuesday an intergovernmental agreement on military cooperation.
- Iran's IRGC confirms killing of its general in Syria's Golan Iran Press TV 19 Jan 2015 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) confirms the killing of one of its generals in an Israeli airstrike on the occupied Golan Heights in Syria that also killed six members of the Lebanese resistance movement, Hezbollah.
- Iran Confirms General Killed In Israeli Air Strike In Syria RFE/RL 19 Jan 2015 -- Iran has confirmed a general of its elite Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) died in an Israeli air strike in Syria that also killed several members of the Lebanese Shi'ite militant group Hizballah on January 18.
- Larijani: Iran supports Iraqi territorial integrity IRNA 19 Jan 2015 -- Some countries are after disintegration of Iraq into several small states, but, Iran supports the Iraqi territorial integrity as a strategy, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said Monday.
- Iraq must safeguard territorial integrity: Larijani Iran Press TV 19 Jan 2015 -- Iran's Parliament (Majlis) Speaker Ali Larijani has warned against some countries' move to disintegrate Iraq, stressing that Baghdad must safeguard its territorial integrity.
- Second Unit of Iran's Bushehr NPP to Become Operational Within Next 8 Years Sputnik 19 Jan 2015 -- The second unit of the Bushehr nuclear power plant (NPP) is expected to become operational within the next eight years, Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said Monday.
- Nuclear deal only possible without pressure, says Zarif ISNA 18 Jan 2015 -- Iran said an agreement on the country's nuclear energy program can only be signed when Western countries stop exerting pressure on Tehran.
- Iran, P5+1 kick off fresh nuclear talks in Geneva Iran Press TV 18 Jan 2015 -- A new round of talks between Iran and six world powers over Tehran's nuclear program has kicked off in the Swiss city of Geneva.
- Iran, World Powers Hold Fresh Talks In Geneva RFE/RL 18 Jan 2015 -- Iran and world powers began a new round of talks in Geneva to discuss Tehran's nuclear program.
- Iran Calls For 'Political Will' To Advance Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 17 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says 'political will' is needed to make progress in negotiations over Iran's nuclear program but that he believes such progress is 'possible.'
- US, Britain Oppose New Iran Sanctions VOA 16 Jan 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron say they oppose any new sanctions on Iran, saying they would jeopardize ongoing talks on Tehran's nuclear program.
- Iran deplores Charlie Hebdo repetition of wrongful act IRNA 14 Jan 2015 -- Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham on Wednesday deplored Charlie Hebdo repetition of wrongful act stirring resentment in Muslim World and advised Europeans to respect religious sanctities.
- New US bans on Iran to spoil nuclear talks: Afkham Iran Press TV 14 Jan 2015 -- Iran says any new US sanctions against the Islamic Republic could spoil the ongoing talks aimed at securing a long-term deal over Tehran's nuclear program.
- US, Iran Envoys Hold Unscheduled Late-night Meeting VOA 14 Jan 2015 -- The top U.S. and Iranian diplomats unexpectedly resumed their talks on Tehran's nuclear program.
- Rouhani: Bushehr Power Plant, symbol of nation's resistance IRNA 13 Jan 2015 -- Bushehr Power Plant is the symbol of resistance of a nation, President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday.
- Iran stands among world's top 10 countries on military equipment ISNA 13 Jan 2015 -- An Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) official said Iran is standing among the world's top 10 countries in terms of military equipment.
- New Anti-Tehran Sanctions May Undermine Iran Nuclear Deal: US Envoy Sputnik 12 Jan 2015 -- If the US Congress pushes toward more sanctions against Iran, it will inevitably ruin any prospect of the Iranian nuclear deal, isolating Washington instead, believes Samantha Power, the US Ambassador to the United Nations.
- Iraqi top commander rejects reports on Iran's military presence in Iraq ISNA 12 Jan 2015 -- A top commander of Iraq's volunteer forces categorically rejected reports on Iran's military presence in Iraq, reiterating that Iran is only provides advisors and weapons for Iraq.
- French terrorist attacks have nothing to do with Islam, says Zarif ISNA 11 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif reiterated that the recent terrorist attacks in Paris have nothing to do with Islam, adding that an international coalition is needed to deal with the events.
- Common enemies use oil as political tool, says leader ISNA 11 Jan 2015 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said enemies are using oil as a political tool to exert pressure on oil exporting countries.
- New Republican Majority Wants A Say On Obama's Iran Talks RFE/RL 11 Jan 2015 -- Should U.S. President Barack Obama and Western powers reach a nuclear deal with Iran, they could face a new hurdle: a Republican Congress.
- Iran Tries to 'Speed Up' Nuclear Talks With US Representatives in Geneva Sputnik 11 Jan 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Sunday the Iranian delegation will seek to speed up the process of negotiations on Tehran's nuclear program during the upcoming meeting with US representatives in Geneva.
- Iran to Present First Enriched Uranium-Free Fuel Complex in April: Official Sputnik 11 Jan 2015 -- Iran is planning to present its first enriched uranium-free nuclear fuel complex on April 9, Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi stated.
- Iran begins mass production of Saeqeh fighter jets Iran Press TV 07 Jan 2015 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) has started the mass production of the indigenous Saeqeh (Thunderbolt) fighter jets.
- Iran must be immunized against sanctions: Ayatollah Khamenei Iran Press TV 07 Jan 2015 --Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says Iran needs to be immunized against sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic over its nuclear program.
- Khamenei Says Iran Must 'Immunize' Against Sanctions, Cannot Trust U.S. 'Enemy' RFE/RL 07 Jan 2015 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei says the country should 'immunize' itself against international sanctions.
- Iran Accuses Saudis of Oil Conspiracy VOA 06 Jan 2015 -- Iranian hard-liners are lashing out at Saudi Arabia, accusing it of conspiring with the West to keep oil prices low in a bid to harm the Islamic Republic's economy and pressure the country to conclude a nuclear deal with West. In retaliation, Iranian hawks are urging restive Shia Muslims in eastern Saudi Arabia to rebel against the ruling House of Saud.
- Iraqi commander lauds Iran's role in freeing Iraq ISNA 06 Jan 2015 -- A senior Iraqi commander lauded Iran's support for Iraqi government, reiterating that there would be no government in Baghdad if Iran's did cooperate with the country.
- Defense Ministry efforts lead to Iran's stability: Commander IRNA 06 Jan 2015 -- A senior military commander said on Tuesday that the stability of the country is resulted from efforts made by experts of Defense Ministry who succeeded to properly equip armed forces under the difficult situations created by the Western sanctions.
- Iran's red line for terrorist groups lies 40 km inside Iraqi soil IRNA 06 Jan 2015 -- Commander of Armys Ground Force Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said on Tuesday that Iran has drawn red line for terrorist groups 40 km inside the Iraqi territory.
- Iran never gives up N. rights, says Zarif ISNA 06 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Tehran would never give up the nuclear rights of the Iranian nation, vowing to defend national interests in the nuclear talks with the P5+1 group.
- Iran MPs support foreign minister over nuclear talks Iran Press TV 06 Jan 2015 -- Iranian lawmakers have unanimously supported the Iranian foreign minister's remarks on the performance of the country's negotiating team in the nuclear talks with the P5+1 group of world powers.
- Iran has marked a 40-km red zone inside Iraqi border Iran Press TV 06 Jan 2015 -- The commander of the Iranian Army's Ground Forces says Iran has marked a 40-km red zone into the Iraqi border to warn terrorists of any infiltration attempt into Iranian territories.
- Rafsanjani warns of civil war in Iraq IRNA 05 Jan 2015 -- Chairman of the Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Monday that the Shia and Sunni dignitaries should be watchful of civil war in Iraq.
- Tehran Warns NATO Against Flying Planes Over Iranian Airspace: Commander Sputnik 05 Jan 2015 -- An Iranian Air Defense commander on Monday warned NATO against flying planes within the country's airspace following recent claims identifying an aircraft from the military alliance.
- Iran Reveals World's First Missile-Escaping 'Suicide' Drone Sputnik 05 Jan 2015 -- An Iranian engineer has designed the first drone that can dodge missiles and detonate itself in hostile conditions, Fars News Agency reports.
- Iraq unity, integrity key to anti-ISIL success: Iran official Iran Press TV 04 Jan 2015 -- Iraq's unity and territorial integrity are key factors that will lead to success in the battle against the ISIL terrorist group and its supporters, Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani says.
- Iran's Rohani Says International Isolation Harming Economy RFE/RL 04 Jan 2015 -- Iran's president has said his country cannot have 'sustainable' economic growth as long as it is internationally isolated.
- No agreement yet on nuclear talks: Foreign Ministry IRNA 03 Jan 2015 -- A senior official at the Foreign Ministry on Saturday said no agreement has been reached over any issues discussed at Iran's nuclear negotiations with the world six powers.
- Iran's Foreign Ministry rejects reports on nuclear deal with US ISNA 03 Jan 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry rejected AP report that Iran and the US have reached an agreement on nuclear issue.
- Iran's source rejects AP report on nuclear agreement with US ISNA 03 Jan 2015 -- An Iranian informed source rejected as baseless the recent AP report on Iran-US nuclear agreement, calling it 'smear campaign'.
- IRGC thwarts Israeli terror attack on nuclear scientist: Colonel ISNA 03 Jan 2015 -- A senior Iranian military officer said the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has thwarted an Israeli assassination attack on an Iranian nuclear scientist.
- Iranian Foreign Ministry Denies Reports of Nuclear Agreement With US Sputnik 03 Jan 2015 -- No agreement has been reached between Iran and the United States on the Islamic Republic's nuclear program, Iranian Foreign Ministry's spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said Saturday, denying earlier media reports.
- Iran missile potential in proportion with threats IRNA 01 Jan 2015 -- Deputy Commander of Khatamulanbia Air Defense Base Brigadier General Ali-Reza Sabahi said on Wednesday that Irans missile capability is progressing in proportion with threats and the achievements are indigenized like many other achievements.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list