Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2014 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Iran reports first MERS victim death Iran Press TV 30 May 2014 -- An Iranian woman has died of MERS, the deadly respiratory disease originating in Saudi Arabia, an official says.
- Iran lines up satellite launches next year IRNA 28 May 2014 -- Three Iranian remote-sensing satellites of Zafar, Tolou and AutSat are slated for launch using Simorgh Launcher in the coming year (to start March 21, 2015), deputy head of Iran Space Agency said on Wednesday. The satellites are designed to gather data from the environment and forecast natural disasters.
- Iran to launch 3 remote sensing satellites: Official Iran Press TV 28 May 2014 -- An Iranian aerospace official says the country plans to launch three indigenously designed and manufactured monitoring satellites into orbit in the next Iranian calendar year (starts March 21, 2015).
- Dempsey Discusses Iran's Influence on Region AFPS 28 May 2014 -- A diplomatic solution to the problems caused by Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons technology is infinitely preferable to a military operation, but the military option remains available, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here today.
- Iran's missile capability only defensive, not threat: Former US official IRNA 28 May 2014 -- Irans missile capability is defensive and it is not a threat against any other country, Larry Wilkerson chief of staff of former US Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Wednesday.
- Iran confirms two MERS cases in sisters from Kerman Iran Press TV 27 May 2014 -- Iran's Health Ministry says it has detected two confirmed cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Corona-Virus (MERS-CoV) in the country's Kerman Province.
- Iran confirms first two cases of MERS deadly virus VoR 27 May 2014 -- Iranian officials say they have confirmed the country's first two cases of MERS, a deadly virus first reported two years ago in Saudi Arabia, its neighbor on the western side of the Gulf, that is according to Reuters.
- Sextet must enter nuclear talks with realism: Zarif Iran Press TV 27 May 2014 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has advised the six world powers to enter talks with Tehran over its nuclear energy program "with seriousness and realism."
- Zarif-Ashton talks in Istanbul long but useful: Araqchi Iran Press TV 27 May 2014 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, held "long but useful" talks over Tehran's nuclear energy program in the Turkish city of Istanbul, a senior Iranian negotiator says.
- Iran will boost missile capability: Cmdr. Iran Press TV 26 May 2014 -- A senior Iranian commander says Iran's missile capability will not be part of any negotiations, as the country is determined to enhance that capability.
- Iran says powers demand 'too much' in nuclear talks VoR 26 May 2014 -- Iran said on Monday that world powers were 'demanding too much' in negotiations aimed at reaching a deal on Tehran's nuclear program by a July deadline, but hurdles could be overcome, Reuters reporst. Tehran and six world powers made little progress in the latest round of talks earlier this month in Vienna on ending their stand-off, raising doubts about the chances of a breakthrough by July 20.
- No talks on Iran's missile capability, says Defense Minister ISNA 25 May 2014 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehghan said the country's missile capabilities are not negotiable.
- Iran unveils two new indigenous defense achievements Iran Press TV 25 May 2014 -- Iran has unveiled two new domestically designed and produced pieces of military equipment during a ceremony attended by senior military officials.
- Iran Ground Forces resume major drills in Isfahan Iran Press TV 24 May 2014 -- The Iranian Army's Ground Forces have 'successfully' completed the second phase of a major military exercise in the central province of Isfahan.
- Source: Russia may build 8 new nuclear reactors for Iran IRNA 23 May 2014 -- Moscow may sign an intergovernmental agreement with Teheran this year to build eight new reactors for nuclear power plants in Iran, a source close to the negotiations disclosed on Thursday.
- Iran Army Ground Forces begin major drills in Isfahan Iran Press TV 23 May 2014 -- The Iranian Army's Ground Forces have started the first phase of major military drills in the central province of Isfahan.
- Iran defense system non-negotiable: Official Iran Press TV 22 May 2014 -- Iran will not allow six world powers to raise the issue of the Iranian defense systems during the course of nuclear negotiations, says a senior diplomat.
- Final deal to be reached by win-win approach, says Rouhani ISNA 21 May 2014 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani reiterated that win-win approach could help reaching a final agreement on Iranian nuclear issue.
- Iran, IAEA agree on 5 more practical measures Iran Press TV 21 May 2014 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have agreed to five new practical measures for more cooperation.
- Iran, UN atomic watchdog agree on further steps to address nuclear concerns UN News Centre 21 May 2014 -- The United Nations and Iran have agreed on additional practical measures aimed at allaying concerns about the country's nuclear programme, which its officials have stated is for peaceful purposes but some other countries contend is driven by military ambitions.
- Iran rejects Afghan recruitment report in US paper Iran Press TV 20 May 2014 -- Iran has dismissed as "totally baseless" recent accusations leveled in a US newspaper about the Islamic Republic's recruitment of Afghan refugees for war in Syria.
- FM spokeswoman dismisses any halt in nuclear talks IRNA 20 May 2014 -- Foreign Minister spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham dismissed any halt in Iran's nuclear talks with the G5+1 and said negotiations between the two sides are going on.
- Nuclear talks will result in final deal: Rouhani Iran Press TV 19 May 2014 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has expressed optimism that the ongoing nuclear negotiations with the Sextet of world powers will result in a final agreement.
- Iran to Build New Sub for Caspian Fleet by 2015 RIA Novosti 19 May 2014 -- Iran expects to complete construction of a new submarine for its Caspian fleet by the second quarter of next year, the News.Az outlet reported Monday.
- Ailing Space Telescope Getting 2nd Chance VOA 16 May 2014 -- After being declared inoperable last year, NASA's planet-hunting space telescope Kepler has been given a second life.
- Nuclear talks not failed: Araqchi IRNA 18 May 2014 -- Nuclear talks between Iran and the six countries have not failed and will continue in the near future, senior Iranian negotiator Abbas Araqchi was quoted as saying by lawmaker Hojjatollah Khodaei Souri on Sunday.
- IAEA inspectors to visit Iran for talks to tackle 'remaining concerns' about Tehran's nuclear program VoR 18 May 2014 -- A senior inspector from the UN atomic energy is due on Monday in Iran for talks with officials aimed at tackling 'remaining concerns' about Tehran's nuclear program, media reported, according to AFP.
- Background Briefing on P5+1 Talks US Dept. of State 16 May 2014
- Hagel: US Won't Allow Iranian Bomb VOA 16 May 2014 -- Iran is topping the agenda as the United State's top defense official visits Israel.
- Iran Says Ready To Supply Natural Gas To Europe RFE/RL 15 May 2014 -- Good diplomats find opportunities in crises, and Iran's policymakers seem to be following the rule.
- Zarif outlines issues raised in talks with Ashton IRNA 14 May 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif outlined the details of the issues raised in his meeting with EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.
- Iran fully prepared to reach nuclear deal by July 20: Araqchi IRNA 14 May 2014 -- Iran is determined to reach an agreeement with the six western powers on its peaceful nuclear program before the July 20 deadline, Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said here at a press briefing late Tuesday evening.
- Iran, P5+1 begin key nuclear talks to draft final deal Iran Press TV 14 May 2014 -- Iran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany have kicked off a fresh round of talks over Tehran's nuclear energy program aimed at drafting a final comprehensive deal.
- Background Briefing on P5+1 Talks US Dept. of State 13 May 2014
- Larijani: Final nuclear talks no place for negligence IRNA 12 May 2014 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said western powers have to realize that the final phase of nuclear talks are no place for negligence.
- Majlis urges protection of Iran's nuclear rights Iran Press TV 12 May 2014 -- As Tehran and six world powers prepare to open a fresh round of nuclear talks, Iran's Majlis has called on the Iranian negotiating team to protect all nuclear rights of the nation.
- Iran not to compromise over nuclear issue: Larijani Iran Press TV 12 May 2014 -- Iran's Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani says that the Islamic Republic will not compromise with the Western powers over its nuclear energy program.
- Iran succeeds in copying US drone VoR 12 May 2014 -- Iran said on Sunday it has succeeded in copying a US drone it captured in December 2011, with state television broadcasting images apparently showing the replicated aircraft. Tehran captured the US RQ-170 Sentinel in 2011 while it was in its airspace, apparently on a mission to spy on the country's nuclear sites, media in the United States reported.
- Iran to install missiles with 4-km range on helicopters ISNA 11 May 2014 -- Commander of the Iranian Army Ground Force Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said the country will install missiles with the range of four kilometers on helicopters.
- Iran to use tubular centrifuges for vaccine production ISNA 11 May 2014 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said tubular centrifuges will be used for vaccine production.
- Iran missile power limit, stupid idea: Leader Iran Press TV 11 May 2014 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the Western expectation that the Islamic Republic limit its missile power is a "stupid" idea.
- Iran, P5+1 to start drafting final deal in new talks: Araqchi Iran Press TV 11 May 2014 -- Iran and the six world powers plan to start drafting the text of a comprehensive agreement in their upcoming round of nuclear talks, a senior member of the Iranian negotiating team says.
- Iran Offers 'Transparency' in Nuclear Talks VOA 11 May 2014 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday he wanted Iran to do a better job of explaining its nuclear program to prevent 'evil-minded'' people misleading world opinion, two days before Tehran resumes talks with world powers on its disputed atomic activity.
- Iran's Khamenei says West's calls to limit missiles 'stupid' VoR 11 May 2014 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that Western expectations for the Islamic Republic to limit its missile program were 'stupid and idiotic,' Reuters reports. The Supreme Leader also called on the country's Revolutionary Guards to mass-produce missiles. The United States and its allies have said they are worried about Iran's missile program as they fear the weapons could carry nuclear warheads. Iran has long denied having any plans to develop atomic weapons.
- Larijani advises G5+1 to adopt rational stands on Iran IRNA 10 May 2014 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Saturday that the G5+1 should adopt rational stands in dealing with Iran.
- Iran to unveil three nuclear achievements: AEOI Iran Press TV 10 May 2014 -- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says the country is to unveil a number of new achievements in the nuclear industry.
- IAEA inspectors satisfied with recent Iran visits: Official Iran Press TV 10 May 2014 -- Iran says inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have expressed satisfaction with their recent visits of two nuclear sites in the country.
- IRGC stations drones around Hormuz Strait: IRGC cmdr. Iran Press TV 10 May 2014 -- A high-ranking Iranian commander says the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has stationed drones around the Strait of Hormuz in the south of the country.
- Iranian, Pakistani naval forces hold joint drill Iran Press TV 09 May 2014 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran and Pakistan have staged a joint naval drill in the northern Indian Ocean as part of efforts aimed at upgrading and exchanging military experience between the two neighboring states.
- Hi-tech radars, telecoms fitted in IRGC vessels: Commander Iran Press TV 08 May 2014 -- Speed vessels in the inventory of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have been equipped with sophisticated radars and telecommunications systems that are rather matchless in the world, says an IRGC commander.
- Iran, IAEA reach agreement on inspection method of Arak reactor IRNA 07 May 2014 -- An official in Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) told IRNA Tuesday that AEOI and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) have reached agreement on method of inspection of Arak heavy water reactor.
- IRGC Navy cmdr: Iran's vessels speed two times of US ships ISNA 07 May 2014 -- The Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy Ali Fadavi said the country plans to raise the speed of its vessels to three times more than those of the US ships, saying that the Iranian home-made products speed is twice than vessels belonging to the US.
- 'We're Worried,' Say Hard-line Opponents Of Iran's Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 06 May 2014 -- Iranian hard-liners have concerns about Tehran's ongoing negotiations over its nuclear program, and they want the government to know about it.
- Iran, China call for expansion of defense ties Iran Press TV 05 May 2014 -- The Iranian and Chinese defense ministers have underscored the need for the further enhancement of Tehran-Beijing ties in different areas, particularly in the defense sector.
- Iran designs software for investigating illegal users' infiltration in defense centers ISNA 05 May 2014 -- Iranian scientists at Amir Kabir Poly Technique University have designed a software for investigating security and access in defense centers and blocking illegal infiltration of users.
- Iran ready for establishing peace in region, says Zarif ISNA 05 May 2014 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the country is ready to play a positive role in regional developments to establish peace and friendship in the region.
- Iran seeks to assert nuclear program realities: Rouhani Iran Press TV 05 May 2014 -- Iranian president says the Islamic Republic seeks to assert realities about its nuclear activities to reassure the world about the peaceful nature of its nuclear energy program.
- China aims to boost military relations with Iran VoR 05 May 2014 -- China wants deeper defense ties with Iran, Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan told his Iranian counterpart on Monday, according to Chinese state media, as Beijing moves to cement already close ties with a major oil supplier. Chang told Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehqan the development of bilateral relations has 'remained positive and steady, featuring frequent high-level exchanges and deepened political mutual trust,' the official Xinhua news agency said.
- IAEA inspectors to meet with Iran nuclear officials today VoR 05 May 2014 -- Inspectors with the UN nuclear watchdog agency IAEA are scheduled to meet Monday with their counterparts from the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, AEOI spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi said in his official statement. Iran's IRNA news agency cited Kamalvandi as saying Monday that IAEA monitors had arrived in Tehran overnight and were to leave for Vienna on Tuesday.
- IAEA team plans to visit Iran nuclear sites: AEOI Iran Press TV 04 May 2014 -- A delegation from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is scheduled to visit two Iran's nuclear sites, an Iranian nuclear official says.
- Iran successfully test-fires missile system Iran Press TV 04 May 2014 -- Iran has successfully test-fired its indigenously designed and manufactured Mersad (Ambush) missile defense system.
- Iran says it has briefed nuclear watchdog on suspected detonators VoR 04 May 2014 -- Iran has provided the UN nuclear watchdog with a report about the use of detonators with military applications, as part of a seven-step accord intended to allay fears about the country's atomic program, Iranian media said on Sunday, as reported by Reuters.
- Salehi: Arak reactor to be re-designed to produce less plutonium IRNA 03 May 2014 -- Head of the National Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi said that Arak nuclear reactor would be re-designed to produce lesser plutonium.
- Iran will not convert Arak heavy water reactor: AEOI chief Iran Press TV 03 May 2014 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says Arak nuclear facility will remain a heavy water reactor, but will be redesigned to produce less plutonium.
- Iranian naval fleet arrives in Pakistan IRNA 02 May 2014 -- Iranian naval fleet comprising four naval ships and a submarine arrived at Pakistan's Karachi port on Friday on a five-day goodwill mission.
- Arak will remain heavy water reactor: AEOI official Iran Press TV 02 May 2014 -- A top Iranian nuclear official has underlined that the Islamic Republic has no plans to change the Arak heavy water reactor in central Iran into a light water facility.
- IRGC Navy takes delivery of boat simulator Iran Press TV 02 May 2014 -- A senior Iranian military commander says the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy has taken delivery of a sophisticated simulator for a class of its domestically designed and manufactured vessels.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list