Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2013 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Rohani's Inauguration Lacking VIP Allies RFE/RL 31 Jul 2013 -- Iranian officials are pulling out all the stops for Hassan Rohani's presidential inauguration.
- Congress Considering Tough New Iran Sanctions RFE/RL 31 Jul 2013 -- U.S. lawmakers are debating an Iran sanctions bill that seeks to further cut that country's oil exports.
- Iran Not in S-300 Missile Replacement Talks Ė Envoy RIA Novosti 31 Jul 2013 -- Iran and Russia have not discussed Moscow’s tentative offer to supply Tehran with Antei-2500 surface-to-air missile systems instead of the S-300.
- US House to vote on new Iran sanctions PressTV 29 Jul 2013 -- The US House of Representatives will vote on a tough Iran sanctions bill this week that seeks to put further restrictions on the Islamic Republic's oil exports.
- Iranian Official: Lack Of Hard Currency Has Halted Imports RFE/RL 29 Jul 2013 -- An Iranian official says the country has halted imports due to the lack of hard currency.
- Iran To Take Chinese Subway Cars For Oil RFE/RL 29 Jul 2013 -- An Iranian official says international sanctions have forced Tehran to accept subway cars from China in place of cash payments for oil.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Demands Apology For Election-Fraud Accusations RFE/RL 29 Jul 2013 -- Iran's supreme leader has demanded apologies from those who alleged there was fraud during the 2009 presidential election.
- Media Unveils Names Of Iran's New 'Government Members' RFE/RL 29 Jul 2013 -- Iranian media has published a list purportedly containing the names of 33 future members of President-elect Hassan Rohani's government due to be announced this week.
- Ahmadinejad Plans To Establish New University RFE/RL 29 Jul 2013 -- What will Iran's outgoing president, Mahmud Ahmadinejad, do once he officially steps down later this week?
- Outgoing Ahmadinejad enumerates achievements during 8-year tenure PressTV 29 Jul 2013 -- Outgoing Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has enumerated his achievements during his eight years in office.
- S. Leader warns against enemies' plots to create rift among Muslims IRNA 28 Jul 2013 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei warned against the enemies' plots hatched to create rifts among Islamic Ummah.
- Iran denies demanding direct talks with US IRNA 28 Jul 2013 -- Spokesman of the Foreign Ministry Abbas Araqchi stressed Sunday 'Iran has made no demand for holding direct talks with the US'.
- Ahmadinejad to 'continue serving Iran' Iran Press TV 25 Jul 2013 -- Iran's outgoing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says he will continue serving the Islamic Republic after he leaves office.
- Iran Basij force condemns EU for blacklisting Lebanon's Hezbollah Iran Press TV 25 Jul 2013 -- Iran's Basij force has condemned the European Union's recent decision to blacklist the military wing of Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah as a terrorist organization.
- Iran denounces EU decision on Lebanese Hezbollah IRNA 23 Jul 2013 -- Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi expressed regret over the European Union move in including military wing of the Lebanese Hezbollah in its so called terrorist list.
- Majlis condemns EU for blacklisting Hezbollah military wing IRNA 23 Jul 2013 -- Iranian MPs in a statement on Tuesday condemned the EU's move in placing the armed wing of Lebanon's Hezbollah on its list of terrorist groups.
- Netherlands refuses to extradite al-Qaeda suspect to US Iran Press TV 23 Jul 2013 -- A court in the Netherlands has blocked the extradition of a Dutch-Pakistani al-Qaeda suspect to the United States, saying it is unclear whether American authorities had played a hand in torturing him after his arrest in 2010.
- Iranian MPs slam EU move to blacklist Hezbollah Iran Press TV 23 Jul 2013 -- Iranian parliamentarians have denounced the European Union's "anti-Islamic and inhumane" move to blacklist the Lebanese resistance movement, Hezbollah.
- Hezbollah blacklisted due to West's failures: Iran cmdr. Iran Press TV 23 Jul 2013 -- A senior Iranian military official says the European Union's move to blacklist Lebanon's Hezbollah as a terrorist organization is indicative of the West's frustration over its failures in Syria.
- Iran slams EU decision to blacklist Hezbollah Iran Press TV 23 Jul 2013 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has censured the European Union over its decision to put the military wing of Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah on its terrorist blacklist.
- Iran Condemns EU's Blacklisting of Hezbollah VOA 23 Jul 2013 -- Iran condemned on Tuesday the European Union's decision to put the armed wing of Lebanese militant group Hezbollah on its terrorism blacklist and said the move was "contrary to all political and legal norms, surprising and unacceptable."
- No new deal made by Iran, IAEA IRNA 23 Jul 2013 -- Spokesman of the Foreign Ministry Abbas Araqchi said Tuesday no new deal has been made between Iran and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- Iran slams EU move against Hezbollah as biased Iran Press TV 23 Jul 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Araqchi has slammed a recent decision by the European Union to blacklist Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement as "unprofessional and biased."
- Iran hopes for change in West confrontation approach Iran Press TV 22 Jul 2013 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi says Tehran hopes that the West will shift from confrontation to cooperation and interaction with the Islamic Republic once Iranian president-elect Hassan Rohani takes office early next month.
- Iran Army Ground Forces unveil indigenous tank transporter Iran Press TV 21 Jul 2013 -- Iran has unveiled a tank transporter, dubbed Sayyad (Hunter), designed and manufactured by the Iranian Army's Ground Forces.
- Iranian capacities helped defeat US-led sanctions: Iran oil min. Iran Press TV 21 Jul 2013 -- Iranian Oil Minister Rostam Qasemi says the Islamic Republic has overcome the problems caused by US-engineered sanctions by relying on domestic capabilities.
- Leader not optimistic about talks with US Iran Press TV 21 Jul 2013 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has expressed skepticism about talks with the United States.
- No new developments regarding Tehran, Washington talks: Iran Iran Press TV 20 Jul 2013 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Araqchi says there have been no new developments with regards to direct negotiations between the Islamic Republic and the US.
- India welcomes defense cooperation with Iran: Minister Iran Press TV 20 Jul 2013 -- Indian Defense Minister A. K. Antony has welcomed the expansion of defense cooperation with the Islamic Republic of Iran in different sectors.
- Spokesman: Iran has not sent arms to Syria IRNA 17 Jul 2013 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Araqchi said Iran has not sent any arms to Syria.
- Iran says P5+1 talks must be 'serious' to succeed Iran Press TV 18 Jul 2013 -- Following the recent meeting between EU foreign policy chief and members of the P5+1 group of world powers to discuss the bloc's future talks with Iran, Tehran has reiterated that only "serious talks" based on mutual respect will lead to success.
- Russia: 5+1G eager to hold new round of talks with Iran IRNA 17 Jul 2013 -- Russian Foreign Ministry announced here Tuesday that the group of five UNSC veto members and Germany is eager for holding a new round of nuclear talks with the Islamic Republic of Iran in near future.
- FM: Talks will continue with G5+1 IRNA 17 Jul 2013 -- Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi said Wednesday that members of the Group 5+1 have voiced readiness to resume talks with Iran and that Tehran would definitely continue the talks in future.
- P5+1 eager to resume talks with Iran: Russia Iran Press TV 17 Jul 2013 -- Russia says the P5+1 group of world powers is willing to resume its comprehensive talks with Iran in the near future.
- Damavand destroyer to join Iran naval fleet: Navy Cmdr. Iran Press TV 17 Jul 2013 -- Iranian Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the Navy will launch its new indigenous destroyer, Damavand, in the near future.
- Iran nuclear activities irreversible: Lawmaker Iran Press TV 17 Jul 2013 -- An Iranian lawmaker says Tehran's nuclear energy activities are irreversible, stressing that the next Iranian administration will use transparency to disambiguate the issue.
- Iran to hold nuclear contamination drills: Official Iran Press TV 17 Jul 2013 -- Head of Iran's Passive Defense Organization says the Islamic Republic plans to hold exercises in the near future to increase its preparedness for any possible nuclear contamination scenario.
- Accuracy of satellite images on Saudi missile site skeptical: Araqchi IRNA 16 Jul 2013 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Araqchi said Tuesday that accuracy of the reports about some satellite images which detected a missile site in Saudi Arabia targeting Iran and the Zionist regime was 'disputable'.
- Russia urges 'new full-fledged' round of Iran-P5+1 talks Iran Press TV 16 Jul 2013 -- Russia has called for "a new full-fledged" round of talks between Iran and the P5+1 group of world powers soon after the inauguration of Iran's new president, Hassan Rohani.
- Iranian Economists Call For 'Civil Movement' To Counter U.S.-Led Sanctions RFE/RL 16 Jul 2013 -- Three prominent Iranian economists have called for the creation of a 'civil movement' against U.S.-led sanctions that have been imposed on Tehran over its nuclear program.
- Iran's 1st vertical flight drone unveiled in Isfahan IRNA 15 Jul 2013 -- A research firm's vertical drone was unveiled at Isfahan's Science and Technology Township in the presence of Deputy Science, Research and Technology Minister, Mohammad-Mahdi Nezhad-Nouri on Sunday.
- No weapons found on Iran-Syria flights: Iraq Iran Press TV 13 Jul 2013 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari says Baghdad has not found any military equipment on Syria-bound Iranian flights crossing through the country's airspace.
- Iraq 'Can't Stop' Iran Arms Transfer To Syria RFE/RL 13 Jul 2013 -- Iraq's foreign minister has told a pan-Arab newspaper that his country is unable to stop neighboring Iran from sending weapons to Syria through its airspace.
- Arming militants in Syria detrimental to Geneva talks: Iran Iran Press TV 13 Jul 2013 -- Iran says Western attempts to arm the militants in Syria are detrimental to the planned Geneva conference on Syria.
- Women's Rights Activists Tell Rohani What They Want RFE/RL 13 Jul 2013 -- A group of prominent Iranian women's rights activists and intellectuals have outlined some of their main demands for Iran's President-elect Hassan Rohani, who spoke against gender discrimination during his campaign and said women and men should enjoy the same rights and opportunities.
- Iran dismisses MKO allegation of secret nuclear site PressTV 12 Jul 2013 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry has rejected allegations accusing Tehran of building a secret nuclear site.
- EU foreign policy chief to meet P5+1 officials over talks with Iran PressTV 12 Jul 2013 -- EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton is to meet top officials from the P5+1 group of world powers to discuss the blocís future talks with Iran.
- Exiled Group Says Iran Building New Nuclear Site RFE/RL 11 Jul 2013 -- An exiled Iranian opposition group claims it has evidence of a secret nuclear site under construction in Iran.
- Some In U.S. Congress Urge More Iran Pressure, Others Want Relationship 'Reset' RFE/RL 11 Jul 2013 -- Is the election of cleric Hassan Rohani as Iran’s new president an opportunity for the United States?
- Beware Unpeeled Fruit - Iran's Intelligence Ministry Issues New Security Advice RFE/RL 11 Jul 2013 -- Iranís Intelligence Ministry has issued a long list of advice to Iranians on a wide range of topics.
- Iran Launches National E-mail Service VOA 11 Jul 2013 -- Iran has taken another step toward creating its own intranet by opening a national email service, according to state television.
- US, Israel co-wrote Stuxnet against Iran: Snowden PressTV 10 Jul 2013 -- Fugitive US surveillance whistleblower Edward Snowden says the United States and Israel created the Stuxnet computer virus.
- New Iranian President To Inherit Economic Challenges RFE/RL 10 Jul 2013 -- Former minister has warned that the president-elect will inherit a blighted economy.
- Spain court rejects request by Iranian engineer PressTV 10 Jul 2013 -- A Spanish appeals court has rejected a request by Iranian engineer Alireza Valadkhani to lift his house arrest and return his passport under a conditional release term.
- Suspected Suicide Bomber Shot Dead In Iran RFE/RL 09 Jul 2013 -- Iranian security forces have shot dead a suspected suicide bomber.
- Iran to unveil mobile version of S-200 air defense system: Cmdr. PressTV 08 Jul 2013 -- The mobile version of Iranís indigenous S-200 missile defense system will be unveiled in upcoming military drills by Iranian air defense units.
- Iranís Navy conducting naval exercise in Caspian Sea PressTV 08 Jul 2013 -- An Iranian navy commander says the countryís naval forces are conducting a five-day exercise in the Caspian Sea.
- Iran To Give E-Mail Addresses To Citizens RFE/RL 08 Jul 2013 -- Iran's minister of communications says citizens of the country who desire to use e-mail will have accounts given to them by the government.
- Iran, Afghanistan to hold consultative meeting in Tehran PressTV 07 Jul 2013 -- Iran and Afghanistan are set to hold a consultative committee meeting in an effort to exchange views on multi-dimensional relations between the two countries.
- Iran, Russia urge cooperation to ensure Caspian Sea security PressTV 07 Jul 2013 -- Iranian and Russian Navy commanders have highlighted the significance of strengthening joint cooperation to ensure the security of the Caspian Sea.
- Divine world order must replace cruel one: Ahmadinejad PressTV 07 Jul 2013 -- Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has stressed the importance of replacing the current cruel and inhumane global system with a divine world order.
- Iranian Ayatollahs on Egyptian Crisis RFE/RL 05 Jul 2013 -- "Islamic Awakening" was the Iranian establishment's term of choice for the popular uprisings in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Russia asks for urgent setting of date for Iran-5+1G talks IRNA 04 Jul 2013 -- Sergei Ryabkov stressed the need for urgent setting of a date for next round of Iran and Group of 5+1 negotiations.
- Iran's 1st fleet returns from Russian mission IRNA 04 Jul 2013 -- The First flotilla of Iran's Navy arrived in this northern port from a ten-day mission to Russia.
- Iranian President-Elect Calls for Openness, Easing Restrictions VOA 03 Jul 2013 -- Iran's president-elect is calling for a more free and open society.
- Iran to hold large military drill in second half of year: Cmdr. PressTV 03 Jul 2013 -- A senior Iranian commander says the Army is set to stage a massive military maneuver in the second half of the current Iranian year.
- In Russia, Ahmadinejad Says Iran Wants More Nuclear Plants RFE/RL 02 Jul 2013 -- Visiting Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad says his country is ready to build new nuclear power plants with the aid of Russia.
- Iran Leader Asks Putin for Go-Ahead to Build New Nuclear Plant RIA Novosti 02 Jul 2013 -- Iran’s president said that preliminary talks for Russia to help build a new Iranian nuclear power plant had been completed.
- Iranian News Agency Removes 'Exclusive' Interview With U.S. Official RFE/RL 02 Jul 2013 -- Iran's hard-line Fars news agency has published what was billed as an "exclusive interview" only to remove it from its website.
- Iran Navy must boost combat readiness PressTV 01 Jul 2013 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says the combat capability of the country's naval forces should increase.
- Iran's fleet in Russia to promote peace, stability in Caspian Sea region IRNA 01 Jul 2013 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said that presence of Iran's fleet in Russian Astrakhan port was to promote peace and stability.
- Iran Navy will unveil Fateh indigenous submarine: Cmdr. PressTV 01 Jul 2013 -- The Iranian Navy is set to unveil an indigenous submarine in a further sign of the countryís naval capabilities.
- Iran unveils first indigenous flight simulator for Iran-140 plane PressTV 01 Jul 2013 -- Iranís Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi has unveiled the countryís first flight simulator of Iran-140 passenger aircraft.
- Iran arrests 8 Slovaks for restricted areas photography: Attorney General PressTV 01 Jul 2013 -- Iranís Attorney General Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei says eight Slovak citizens and one Iranian have been arrested on charges of photography of restricted areas.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list