Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2009 - Iran Special Weapons News
- Clinton Calls US-Iranian Meeting 'Promising' VOA 31 Mar 2009 -- Senior U.S. and Iranian leaders met on the sidelines of an international conference in The Hague aimed at Afghanistan.
- Iran supports regional solution on Afghanistan IRNA 31 Mar 2009 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Asia-Pacific Affairs said here Monday that Iran supports any regional solution for existing problems in Afghanistan.
- U.S., Iran Headline Hague Conference On Afghanistan RFE/RL 31 Mar 2009 -- Participants from roughly 80 countries are gathering in The Hague for a UN-backed conference on the future of Afghanistan.
- Larijani, Iraqi official underline security cooperation IRNA 29 Mar 2009 -- Iran's Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani and Iraqi National Security Advisor Muwafaq al-Rubai here on Sunday underlined the need to promote Tehran-Baghdad security cooperation and boost control along the common borders.
- Iran, Iraq urge expansion of relations IRNA 29 Mar 2009 -- Iran’s Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani and Iraqi President Jalal Tlabani in a meeting held late on Saturday called for expansion of Tehran-Baghdad ties.
- Russian, U.S. leaders to address Iranian nuclear issue in London RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- The Russian and U.S. presidents will discuss the issue of Iran's nuclear program at their upcoming meeting in London.
- President Obama Reaches Out to Iran VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- When President Obama released a holiday greeting to Iran, offering a "new beginning" in U.S.-Iranian relations, the popular reaction was favorable.
- Iran rejects idea of U.S. talks at Moscow meeting on Afghanistan RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- There are no plans for bilateral Iranian-US talks at the conference on Afghanistan currently being held in Moscow.
- Iran, NATO Officials Meet, First Time in 30 Years VOA 26 Mar 2009 -- NATO said an Iranian diplomat has met with a NATO representative for the first direct talks between Tehran and the alliance in 30 years.
- Britain wants bilateral talks with Iran over the nuclear issue IRNA 26 Mar 2009 -- Britain says it supports multilateral and bilateral talks with Iran over its nuclear issue.
- Russia ready to help with US-Iran meeting at Moscow conference RIA Novosti 26 Mar 2009 -- Russia not aware of any plans for US and Iranian diplomats to meet on the sidelines of a conference on Afghanistan.
- Iran to Attend Afghanistan Meeting with US VOA 26 Mar 2009 -- Iran said it will attend a UN-sponsored conference on Afghanistan next week that was proposed by the United States.
- Russia shares IAEA concerns on Iran's nuclear program - top MP RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2009 -- Russia cannot consider Iran's nuclear program "transparent" while UN nuclear watchdog still has concerns on this account.
- Iranian Official Downplays Obama's Overture to Iran VOA 25 Mar 2009 -- Iran's parliament speaker: US President Obama's recent overture is not enough to repair 30 years of strained relations.
- Obama expects steady progress in U.S.-Iran ties RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2009 -- US President Obama expects steady progress in relations with Iran as he pursues a policy of greater engagement.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Says Obama Address Offers No Real Change RFE/RL 21 Mar 2009 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei pledged that Tehran would respond to any real policy shift.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Dismisses Obama's Appeal VOA 21 Mar 2009 -- Iran's supreme leader is dismissing calls from U.S. President Barack Obama for a "new beginning" in relations between the two countries.
- Iranian Minister: Bushehr Nuclear Plant Operational by August VOA 20 Mar 2009 -- Iran's energy minister said the country's nuclear power plant at Bushehr will begin operating by the end of the year.
- Iran Warms to Obama Appeal for Better Relations VOA 20 Mar 2009 -- President Obama's message to the Iranian people calling for better relations between the US and Iran has ordinary Iranians talking.
- Iran Welcomes Obama Overture VOA 20 Mar 2009 -- Iran is welcoming the appeal by U.S. President Barack Obama for better relations between the two countries, but says words alone are not enough.
- EU Has High Hopes for US Message to Iran VOA 20 Mar 2009 -- The European Union is hopeful U.S. President Barack Obama's message to Iran can help thaw relations between Tehran and much of the world.
- Videotaped Remarks by the President in Celebration of Nowruz The White House 20 Mar 2009
- Obama Offers New Start With Iran In Video Appeal RFE/RL 20 Mar 2009 -- US President Barack Obama has offered Iran a "new beginning" in its relations with the United States.
- Obama Calls for 'New Beginning' in Message to Iran VOA 20 Mar 2009 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is offering Iran's leaders the promise of a new beginning in relations.
- Turkish FM advises West to respect Iran IRNA 20 Mar 2009 -- Turkish FM Babacan advised the West to respect Iran as a country with important culture and history and to hold dialogue with it in an equal position.
- Russia still believes in peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program RIA Novosti 20 Mar 2009 -- Moscow has seen nothing to convince it that there is a military element to Iran's nuclear program.
- Jailed Iranian Blogger Dies; Others Arrested VOA 19 Mar 2009 -- Iranian authorities announced a broad crackdown on obscene and anti-Islamic Web sites.
- Syria Offers to Mediate With Iran VOA 18 Mar 2009 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is proposing to mediate between the West and Iran over Iran's nuclear program.
- Pak-Iran-Afghan summit in Tehran to discuss regional issues: FM IRNA 19 Mar 2009 -- Pak FM Qureshi: Trilateral summit meeting of Pakistan-Iran-Afghanistan has been organized in Tehran in May this year.
- Iran says first satellite successfully completes mission RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2009 -- Iran's first satellite has successfully completed its scientific mission after more than a month in orbit.
- Iran's New 'Spy Drones' Take To The Skies RFE/RL 18 Mar 2009 -- The Pentagon confirmed on March 16 that the U.S. military shot down one of Iran's unarmed drone planes in Iraqi airspace in February.
- Russia has not delivered S-300 missile systems to Iran - source RIA Novosti 18 Mar 2009 -- Iran has not received any S-300 systems under a 2007 contract and the deal depends on the leadership in Moscow.
- British PM Warns of Tougher Sanctions for Iran Nuclear Program VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- British PM Brown warned Iran that by continuing to enrich uranium, it faces tougher international sanctions.
- Iran nuclear talks remain conditional, UK clarifies IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- The renewed offer made to Iran by PM Brown over its nuclear program was more of a change in tone and approach, rather than in substance.
- Brown offers Iran 'test case' deal on nuclear power IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- PM Gordon Brown set to offer to help Iran to develop nuclear power for civilian use within the framework of United Nations rules.
- British PM Renews Nuclear Offer to Iran VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- British PM Brown has renewed offer of international help for Iran to develop a civilian nuclear industry, providing Tehran ends enrichment program.
- Iranian Influence, Terrorist Links, Threaten Latin American Security AFPS 17 Mar 2009 -- Iran is increasing its presence in Latin America, and Hezbollah is making inroads in drug trafficking in Colombia.
- Iran: No Knowledge of US Report of Drone Downing VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Iran's FM spokesman: No information about a U.S. military report that U.S. forces shot down an Iranian drone last month over Iraq.
- U.S. Forces Say They Shot Down Iranian Drone Over Iraq RFE/RL 17 Mar 2009 -- The US has reported shooting down an unmanned Iranian aircraft over Iraq last month, some 100 kilometers north of Baghdad.
- Khatami Withdrawal Shakes Up Iran Presidential Race VOA 17 Mar 2009 -- Former President Khatami's sudden withdrawal from presidential race has led some to question whether he actually intended to run.
- Majlis speaker denies any dispute among Iran's power branches IRNA 17 Mar 2009 -- Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani said on Tuesday there is no political dispute between the IRI power branches.
- Novikov: Bushehr plant poses no threat to NPT IRNA 16 Mar 2009 -- Spokesman for Russian company, Rosatom Sergei Novikov, said on Monday that Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant poses no threat to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty
- Iran's Khatami May Withdraw From Presidential Race VOA 16 Mar 2009 -- A close aide says Iran's moderate former President Mohammad Khatami may soon withdraw from the June presidential election.
- Afghanistan As Catalyst For U.S.-Iran Cooperation RFE/RL 13 Mar 2009 -- In a ground-breaking counternarcotics operation, Iranian, Afghan, and Pakistani forces have cooperated in arrests and the seizure of illicit drugs
- Iranian President Shrugs Off US Renewal of Sanctions VOA 13 Mar 2009 -- Iranian President Ahmedinejad: Country is self-reliant and is therefore not worried about U.S. economic sanctions.
- Obama Extends U.S. Sanctions Against Iran RFE/RL 13 Mar 2009 -- US President Obama has extended US sanctions against Iran for at least another year.
- Iranian president declares his country a space and nuclear power RIA Novosti 13 Mar 2009 -- Iranian President Ahmadinejad: Pressure from Western powers spurred the country to become nuclear power.
- Iran missile, nuclear threat 'real, dangerous' - Russian analyst RIA Novosti 12 Mar 2009 -- Big mistake the potential missile and nuclear threat coming from Iran ignored or underestimated.
- Expert Sees U.S. Intelligence Testimony On Iran As 'Clarification' RFE/RL 11 Mar 2009 -- Top U.S. intelligence officials told lawmakers in Washington Iran has yet to decide whether to build a nuclear bomb.
- Iran has not decided to produce nuclear arms, US intelligence chief IRNA 11 Mar 2009 -- US intelligence officials: Iran has not produced the highly enriched uranium necessary for a nuclear weapon.
- Ahmadinejad says Iran can talk to U.S. without mediators RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2009 -- Ahmadinejad: Iran would have no need for third party mediation in talks with the US.
- Supreme Leader: No sign of change in US wrong policies IRNA 11 Mar 2009 -- Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: US is now pursuing its previous policies and no sign of it making good on in its past mistakes.
- Musavi's Candidacy Enlivens, Complicates Iran's Presidential Race RFE/RL 11 Mar 2009 -- Former Iranian PM Musavi has impeccable revolutionary credentials and is widely considered to be an honest politician.
- Security Council hears briefing from committee monitoring sanctions on Iran UN News Centre 10 Mar 2009 -- Committee monitoring sanctions against Iran over its nuclear programme updated SC on latest work.
- ElBaradei to Arabs: Engage Iran on Nuclear Issue VOA 10 Mar 2009 -- Head of UN nuclear agency calling on Iran's Arab neighbors to play a greater role in resolving the dispute over Iran's nuclear program.
- IAEA chief hopes Iran-US talks would start soon IRNA 10 Mar 2009 -- The IAEA chief here on Monday expressed hope that Iran-US talks would start in the next few weeks.
- Iran counts on Russia for September launch of nuclear plant RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2009 -- Iran hopes Russia will keep to the September schedule for the launch of the Bushehr nuclear power plant.
- Boroujerdi reaffirms Iran's strong opposition to nuclear bomb IRNA 06 Mar 2009 -- Chairman of Foreign Policy and National Security Committee of Majlis Boroujerdi reiterated opposition to having a nuclear bomb.
- Iran Considering US Invite to Afghan Talks VOA 06 Mar 2009 -- Iran said it is weighing a U.S. invitation to participate in an international conference on Afghanistan.
- Kouchner, Clinton urge Iran's attendance at Afghan security confab IRNA 06 Mar 2009 -- French FM Kouchner and American counterpart Clinton called on Iran to take part in planned stabilization conference.
- Iran rules out becoming NATO supply route for Afghanistan IRNA 06 Mar 2009 -- The Islamic Republic of Iran will not allow NATO to use its territory to transit non-military supplies to Afghanistan.
- Morocco Severs Relations With Iran VOA 06 Mar 2009 -- Morocco's state news agency reports that Rabat has cut diplomatic ties with Iran.
- US Foreign Policy Veterans Urge Iran Talks VOA 05 Mar 2009 -- Two US foreign policy veterans have advised lawmakers that Iran's nuclear ambitions more likely to cause proliferation than nuclear war.
- Germany, Iran stress importance of Afghan neighborhood initiative IRNA 05 Mar 2009 -- Germany and Iran highlighted the significance of a regional approach geared at stabilizing Afghanistan.
- Boroujerdi warns EU of downplaying MKO and Pejak terror threats IRNA 05 Mar 2009 -- Chairman of Iran Majlis commission warned the EU of downplaying the terror threat of MKO and Pejak.
- Iran Denounces US During Gaza Meeting VOA 04 Mar 2009 -- Iran's supreme leader accused US President Obama of following same wrong policies as Bush administration with his "unconditional" support of Israel.
- FM: Bushehr nuclear plant to start operation next summer IRNA 04 Mar 2009 -- FM Mottaki: Bushehr nuclear power plant will definitely become operational next year and generate 500 megawatts of electricity.
- Group 5+1 calls for direct talks with Iran IRNA 04 Mar 2009 -- Members of the Group 5+1 urged Iran to hold direct negotiations with the group.
- U.S. Committed to European Missile Defense, Gates Says AFPS 03 Mar 2009 -- If Iranian missile programs would cease production, US would not need missile defense capabilities in Eastern Europe.
- IRGC: Nuclear sites of Zionist regime within range of Iran's missiles IRNA 04 Mar 2009 -- IRGC Commander Major General Jafari: Zionists' nuclear sites and facilities are within range of Iranian missiles.
- Clinton to Iran: 'Stop Interfering in Palestinian Affairs' VOA 04 Mar 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton accused Iran's supreme leader of interfering in Palestinian affairs.
- Abbas to Iran: Stop Interfering VOA 04 Mar 2009 -- Palestinian Authority President Abbas' harsh criticism of what he calls Iranian interference comes as Tehran hosts a summit on Palestinian issues.
- Iraqi Vice President Snubs Visiting Iranian Former President VOA 04 Mar 2009 -- Iraqi Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi has refused to meet with visiting former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani.
- Iran to investigate claims of Israeli war crimes - minister RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2009 -- Iran's intelligence service will conduct its own investigation into claims Israel committed war crimes in Gaza.
- World Powers Want Direct Nuclear Talks with Iran VOA 03 Mar 2009 -- Five permanent members of UN Security Council committed to direct talks with Iran to resolve a long-running nuclear standoff.
- Medvedev denies Iran-missile shield tradeoff with U.S. RIA Novosti 03 Mar 2009 -- Russia's president denied media reports claiming that Washington had pledged to drop missile shield plans if Moscow helped resolve Iran's nuclear program.
- Obama: There is No Offer to Russia on Missile Defense and Iran VOA 03 Mar 2009 -- US President Obama: Halting the nuclear threat from Iran would reduce the need for planned missile shield.
- Obama Says No 'Quid Pro Quo' with Russia on Missile Defense VOA 03 Mar 2009 -- President Barack Obama says reducing Iran's pursuit of nuclear weapons reduces the need for a missile shield in Europe.
- U.S. Offers To Abandon Missile-Defense Plans RFE/RL 03 Mar 2009 -- President Obama to Russian President Medvedev: Missile-defense system unnecessary if Moscow helps curb Iran's nuclear program.
- Iran's uranium reserves inexhaustible IRNA 03 Mar 2009 -- Iran's Atomic Energy Agency: Some 400 uranium mines have been identified nationwide, which will help posterity benefit from nuclear energy.
- Russia: No pretext for not putting Bushehr Nuclear Plant to use IRNA 03 Mar 2009 -- Russian Energy Minister Shmatko: No pretext remains for not putting BNP to use on schedule.
- No problem in operating Bushehr plant: Qashqavi IRNA 02 Mar 2009 -- There is no obstacle on the way of putting into operation of the Bushehr nuclear power plant, Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi said on Monday
- Iran dismisses claims on developing atomic bomb IRNA 02 Mar 2009 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi dismissed on Monday the recent claims made by Western media that Tehran was to produce atomic bomb
- Intolerance Is Integral To The Iranian System RFE/RL 02 Mar 2009
- IAEA chief says 'no progress' on Iranian nuclear program RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2009 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) acknowledged on Monday that despite numerous efforts there had been no progress in a probe into Iran's nuclear activity.
- Obama 'ready to drop shield plans for Russian help on Iran' RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2009 -- Washington has told Moscow that Russian help in resolving Iran's nuclear program would make its missile shield plans for Europe unnecessary, a Russian daily said on Monday, citing White House sources.
- Rafsanjani Calls for withdrawal of occupation forces from Iraq IRNA 02 Mar 2009 -- Chairman of the Expediency Council Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani said on Monday that occupation forces are expected to leave Iraqi territory as soon as possible
- Iran to put Bushehr NPP into operation this September RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2009 -- Iran expects to put its Bushehr nuclear power plant into operation this September, the country's deputy foreign minister said.
- Clinton: Washington Will Consult Arab Allies on Iran VOA 02 Mar 2009 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says any overtures Washington makes to Iran will be done in consultation with its Middle East allies.
- US Military Chief: Iran Has Enough Material to Make Nuclear Bomb VOA 01 Mar 2009 -- U.S. military chief Admiral Mike Mullen says Iran has stockpiled enough material to make a nuclear bomb
- Rafsanjani to visit Iraq IRNA 01 Mar 2009 -- Visiting Iraqi Vice President Adel Abdul-Mahdi conferred on Sunday with Chairman of the Expediency Council Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani on issues of mutual interests.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list