Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2005 India Special Weapons News
- US recognizes India as nuclear weapon state: Narayanan IRNA 24 Dec 2005 -- Indian National Security Adviser M K Narayanan said Saturday the US had implicitly recognized India as a nuclear weapon state and agreed to supply fuel for Tarapore reactors following a series of commitments by India, including that of separating civilian and military facilities.
- India: Foreign Secretary Offers Assurances On Nuclear Program RFE/RL 22 Dec 2005 -- India's foreign secretary is seeking to assure Washington that any U.S. aid for its civilian nuclear program will not be diverted to military use or third countries.
- Musharraf urges India not to miss peace opportunity IRNA 20 Dec 2005 -- President General Pervez Musharraf said on Monday that the earthquake provided an opportunity for building further links between the Kashmiris on both sides, and that such opportunity should not be missed.
- Pakistan-India next round of talks, next month: Official IRNA 20 Dec 2005 -- Pakistan and India will hold next round of composite dialogue next month, Foreign Office spokesperson, Ms Tasnim Aslam said here on Monday.
- Indian Air Force plane crashes IRNA 19 Dec 2005 -- An Indian Air Force (IAF) aircraft crashed near Jataura village, some 15 kilometers from Agra, Uttar Pradesh, this afternoon.
- India, Russia to develop aircraft version of BrahMos missile IRNA 17 Dec 2005 -- India and Russia have pumped in USD 50 million to develop an aircraft version of the supersonic cruise missile `BrahMos', according to a top official of the joint venture.
- India for stronger maritime cooperation with friendly nations: Defence Minister IRNA 15 Dec 2005 -- India sees a vast scope for maritime cooperation with friendly nations in intelligence exchange, ocean technology and seabed mining as part of efforts to harness ocean resources and tackle maritime crimes, Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee said here today.
- Indo-US nuclear deal proceeding on "strict reciprocity" basis IRNA 15 Dec 2005 -- Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today made it clear that there was no stalemate in the Indo-US nuclear deal and that it was proceeding on the basis of "strict reciprocity."
- MIG-21 crashes in Assam, pilot safe IRNA 13 Dec 2005 -- A MIG-21 aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed near Assam's Tezpur airbase today.
- No defence missile arrangement with US: Pranab IRNA 07 Dec 2005 -- India has not entered into any missile arrangement with the US, Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee said in Rajya Sabha (Upper House of Indian Parliament) Wednesday.
- India, Oman sign MoU on Defense Cooperation IRNA 07 Dec 2005 -- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Defence Cooperation was signed between India and Oman here today.
- India test fires 'Akash Missile' IRNA 07 Dec 2005 -- Akash, India's surface-to-air missile was test fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, Orissa, Wednesday, defense sources announced.
- India's inclusion in ITER acknowledgement as nuke state IRNA 07 Dec 2005 -- India said Wednesday its inclusion as a full partner in the ambitious multi-country International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) energy project was an acknowledgement of it being a responsible nuclear state with advanced nuclear technology.
- Indian Cabinet Minister Resigns Due to Oil-for-Food Scandal VOA 06 Dec 2005 -- India's former foreign minister accused of skimming money from the Iraqi oil-for-food program has resigned from the cabinet, saying he does not want to give the opposition an excuse to stall parliament.
- Indian soldiers launch anti-insurgency operation in Assam IRNA 05 Dec 2005 -- Federal soldiers have launched a massive anti-insurgency operation in India's violence-torn northeastern state of Assam, where 100 people have been killed and 50,000 displaced in two months of ethnic clashes, officials on Monday said.
- Naval aircraft crashes, pilot killed IRNA 05 Dec 2005 -- A `Sea Harrier' fighter aircraft of the Indian Navy has crashed during a take-off run at Dabolim airport, 45 kilometers from Panaji, capital city of Goa, killing its pilot, Lt.
- India test-fires `surface-to-air Akash' missile IRNA 03 Dec 2005 -- Akash, India's surface-to-air missile, was test-fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, 15 kilometers from Balasore, Orissa today, defence sources said.
- India's LCA PV-II makes successful maiden flight IRNA 01 Dec 2005 -- The Prototype Vehicle-II (PV-II) of the indigenously designed and developed Light Combat Aircraft `Tejas' made a successful maiden flight in Bangalore today.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list