Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2012 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- North Korea Takes ‘Positive First Step’ on Nukes, Official Says AFPS 29 Feb 2012 -- The North Korean government has agreed to stop all nuclear activities at its main production and testing plant.
- DPR Korea: UN nuclear agency calls US announcement ‘important step’ UN News Centre 29 Feb 2012 -- The UN atomic watchdog called announcement over the DPRK’s nuclear programme “an important step forward.”
- N. Korea to End Nuclear Tests for Food Aid VOA 29 Feb 2012 -- North Korea has agreed to temporarily suspend nuclear tests, long-range ballistic missile launches, and other nuclear activities.
- North Korea Agrees To Nuclear Moratorium, IAEA Monitors RFE/RL 29 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. State Department and North Korea's official news agency have announced that North Korea has agreed to suspend uranium enrichment.
- North Korea Agrees to Nuclear Moratorium RIA Novosti 29 Feb 2012 -- North Korea has agreed to suspend nuclear activities and allow inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency to monitor compliance.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman on Result of DPRK-U.S. Talks KCNA 29 Feb 2012 -- The spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on result of the latest DPRK-U.S. high-level talks.
- KCNA on Lee Myung Bak and Japan's Territorial Ambition KCNA 29 Feb 2012 -- South Korea's Lee Myung Bak has drawn public criticism after the disclosure of his pro-Japan remarks on Tok Islets that he denied at the beginning of his office.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Greeting WPK Conference with High Political Enthusiasm KCNA 29 Feb 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun calls upon all the people to greet the forthcoming conference of the Workers' Party of Korea with a high degree of political enthusiasm and labor achievements.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korean Call for "Dialogue" KCNA 28 Feb 2012 -- The south Korean authorities' recent call for "dialogue" and "contacts" with the DPRK is no more than cosmetic.
- Minju Joson Slams S. Korean Authorities' Saber-rattling KCNA 28 Feb 2012 -- The south Korean authorities are staging large-scale Key Resolve and Foal Eagle joint military exercises together with the US.
- War Games Begin on Tense Korean Peninsula VOA 27 Feb 2012 -- South Korea and the United States have begun an annual, routine military exercise involving thousands of personnel.
- U.S., South Korea Begin Joint Large-Scale Drills RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- The United States and South Korea began the annual military exercises on Monday despite ongoing threats from North Korea.
- DPRK Is Fully Ready for Dialogue and War KCNA 27 Feb 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK in a statement denounced the U.S. and south Korea for starting provocative military exercises.
- Iran strike would be ‘catastrophic’: Putin RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2012 -- Russia is troubled by the growing threat of a military strike on Iran, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said.
- North Korea Vows 'Sacred War' in Response to US-South Korea Joint Drills VOA 25 Feb 2012 -- North Korea is airing bellicose rhetoric about upcoming U.S.-South Korean joint war games.
- North Korea Threatens 'Sacred War' Over U.S.-South Drills RIA Novosti 25 Feb 2012 -- North Korea threatened to wage a "sacred war" over joint U.S.-South Korean military drills next week.
- No Limit to Striking Intensity and Range of Our Army and People KCNA 25 Feb 2012 -- A spokesman for the National Defence Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea issued statement.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Units under Command of KPA 4th Corps KCNA 25 Feb 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un inspected units under the Command of the KPA 4th Corps stationed in the southwestern sector of the front.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korea Hosting "Nuclear Security Summit" KCNA 24 Feb 2012 -- The south Korean authorities are hosting the "nuclear security summit" to be held in Seoul in late March.
- KCNA Commentary Derides "Nuclear Security Summit" as Product of U.S.-S. Korea Conspiracy KCNA 24 Feb 2012 -- "Nuclear security summit" to be co-sponsored by the U.S and south Korea in Seoul.
- KCNA Commentary on S. Korea's "Working Contact for Separated Families" KCNA 24 Feb 2012 -- Lee Myung Bak is calling for "technical contacts for the reunion of separated families".
- US, North Korea Hold ‘Substantive’ Talks in Beijing VOA 24 Feb 2012 -- The United States and North Korea ended two days of talks in Beijing with no breakthrough on Pyongyang's controversial nuclear program.
- U.S. Envoy Holds 'Productive' Talks With North Korean Officials RFE/RL 24 Feb 2012 -- The U.S. envoy for the North Korean nuclear dispute has given an upbeat assessment of his talks so far in Beijing with a North Korean negotiator.
- UN urges humanitarian solution for DPR Korea nationals detained in China UN News Centre 24 Feb 2012 -- The United Nations refugee agency called on China not to send back to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea a group of some 25 people it arrested this month.
- Kim Jong Un Enjoys Concert of Unhasu Orchestra KCNA 24 Feb 2012 -- Kim Jong Un enjoyed concert "The Hearts Following the Sun" commemorating the Day of the Shining Star given by the Unhasu Orchestra.
- U.S And North Korea Hold Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 23 Feb 2012 -- Officials of the US and North Korea have met for their first talks on the North’s nuclear program since the death of Kim Jong-Il.
- KCNA on S. Korean Unification Minister's Remarks KCNA 22 Feb 2012 -- South Korean "Minister of Unification" Ryu U Ik: "the north's continuous criticism of the south is against the spirit of the south-north agreed framework and is not helpful to the bilateral relations".
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korean Military Drill KCNA 22 Feb 2012 -- The south Koreans went ahead with their planned live-fire drills from Paekryong, Yonphyong and other islands in the West Sea on Feb. 20.
- Kim Jong Un Provides Field Guidance to Sporting Bullet Factory KCNA 22 Feb 2012 -- Kim Jong Un provided field guidance to the Sporting Bullet Factory.
- China Rejects Pleas Not to Repatriate North Koreans VOA 21 Feb 2012 -- China is rejecting South Korean pleas not to repatriate some 30 North Korean refugees who were recently arrested in Chinese territory.
- Rodong Sinmun Dismisses Proposed "Reunion of Separated Families" KCNA 21 Feb 2012 -- The south Korean authorities recently let the south Korean Red Cross propose a working-level contact for "reunion of separated families."
- Rodong Sinmun on Five-point Policy for Great National Unity KCNA 21 Feb 2012 -- It was a great exploit of general secretary Kim Jong Il that he set forth the five-point policy for great national unity.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects KPA Unit 842 KCNA 21 Feb 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea and people of the DPRK, inspected KPA Unit 842.
- S. Korea Ignores Threat from Pyongyang to Retaliate for Drill VOA 20 Feb 2012 -- South Korea went ahead with an artillery drill near a disputed maritime border despite an unusually explicit threat by North Korea.
- South Korea Holds Live Fire Drill Despite North's Threats RFE/RL 20 Feb 2012 -- South Korea has conducted live fire military exercises on five islands located close to the disputed border between South and North Korea.
- WPK Conference to Be Convened KCNA 20 Feb 2012 -- The Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea on Feb. 18 issued decision on convening the WPK Conference.
- S. Korea Holds Military Drills Despite N. Korea Threat VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- South Korea held a routine military exercise near a disputed border with North Korea despite the northern threat of retaliation.
- North Korea Warns of Possible Retaliation for South Korea Exercise VOA 19 Feb 2012 -- North Korea's military warned that it will retaliate if an upcoming South Korean firing drill violates the North's territorial waters.
- Command of Forces of KPA in Western Sector of Front Issues Open Notice KCNA 19 Feb 2012 -- The Command of Forces of the Korean People's Army in the Western Sector of the Front issued an open notice as regards the plan of the south Korean military.
- Reception Given by C.C., WPK and DPRK NDC KCNA 18 Feb 2012 -- A splendid reception was given by the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea and the DPRK National Defence Commission at the Mokran House on the occasion of the Day of the Shining Star.
- North Korea Marks Late Leader's Birth Anniversary VOA 16 Feb 2012 -- North Korea is marking what would have been the 70th birthday of Kim Jong Il, who died in December.
- KPA Three Services Meet at Kumsusan Memorial Palace KCNA 16 Feb 2012 -- Servicepersons of the three services of the Korean People's Army met at the Kumsusan Memorial Palace, the sacred temple of Juche.
- Kim Jong Un Pays Homage to Kim Jong Il KCNA 16 Feb 2012 -- Kim Jong Un, supreme commander of the Korean People's Army and supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea and the people, visited the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun.
- North Korea intends to strengthen ties with Iran: Official IRNA 15 Feb 2012 -- North Korea Deputy Foreign Minister said his country intended to strengthen ties in all fields with Iran.
- Kim Jong Il's Contribution to National Security and Regional Peace KCNA 15 Feb 2012 -- The Institute for Disarmament and Peace of the DPRK Foreign Ministry released a report on leader Kim Jong Il's immortal contribution to security and peace.
- Title of KPA Vice Marshal Conferred on Kim Jong Gak KCNA 15 Feb 2012 -- The Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea and the National Defence Commission of the DPRK decided to award the title of Vice Marshal of the Korean People's Army to Kim Jong Gak.
- Kim Jong Un Issues Order on Promoting Military Ranks of KPA Officers KCNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Kim Jong Un, supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, on Wednesday issued Order No. 003 on promoting the military ranks of KPA commanding officers.
- Late North Korean Leader Promoted to Generalissimo VOA 15 Feb 2012 -- North Korea has announced that its late leader, Kim Jong Il, has been bestowed the title of generalissimo.
- Title of Generalissimo Awarded to Kim Jong Il KCNA 15 Feb 2012 -- The title of Generalissimo of the DPRK was awarded to leader Kim Jong Il in the DPRK.
- Few Expectations For Progress When US, North Korea Meet Again VOA 14 Feb 2012 -- U.S. diplomats and South Korean officials have few expectations that talks between American and North Korean diplomats will yield a significant breakthrough.
- KCNA Blasts S. Korean Misinformation about DPRK KCNA 07 Feb 2012 -- South Korea lied that the DPRK produced drugs and trafficked them with south Korea and China.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Command of Large Combined Unit of KPA KCNA 07 Feb 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un inspected the Command of Large Combined Unit 324 of the KPA and its unit.
- Seoul: N. Korea Developing Attack Drones Using US Technology VOA 06 Feb 2012 -- South Korean media report that North Korea is developing unmanned attack aircraft using American technology.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Command of KPA Navy KCNA 06 Feb 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un inspected the Command of Combined Unit 597 of the KPA Navy and its units.
- Kim Yong Nam Sends Messages to Foreign Heads of State KCNA 03 Feb 2012 -- Kim Yong Nam, president of the Presidium of the DPRK Supreme People's Assembly, sent messages to heads of state of different countries in reply to their messages expressing profound condolences over the passing of general secretary Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Il Sung's Grim Resolve to Win National Liberation KCNA 03 Feb 2012 -- 87 years has passed since President Kim Il Sung crossed the River Amnok with a grim resolve to liberate Korea from the Japanese imperialists' colonial rule.
- Open Questionnaire of the Policy Department of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK KCNA 02 Feb 2012 -- The Policy Department of the National Defence Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea issued open questionnaire to the south Korean authorities.
- Officials of Policy Department of DPRK NDC Interviewed KCNA 02 Feb 2012 -- A press conference took place here today as regards the issue of the open questionnaire of the Policy Department of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK.
- US Envoys Seek Progress on North Korea VOA 01 Feb 2012 -- Senior U.S. diplomats have been consulting with South Korea and Russia regarding North Korea's nuclear program.
- KCNA on the Cheonan KCNA 01 Feb 2012 -- The true story about the sinking of the south Korean navy vessel "Cheonan" carried in some newspapers.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list