Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military




Russian and Soviet Destroyers

On 19 October, 1940, the Soviet government made a decision on termination of the battleships and heavy cruisers construction, while one of the battleships under construction was sent for disassembling. It was ordered to concentrate all their efforts on small-size and medium-size warships building and to continue completion of large ships with high percentage of readiness availability. On the whole, the Soviet shipbuilding was once again re-directed for submarines and light surface ships construction. Nevertheless, the completion of ships of various classes, laid before, continued.

The tepid attitude to the cruisers was because the "Novik" class destroyers had significant advantages over all the destroyers of all other countries. Because of their displacement and, therefore weapons, they carreid out most of the functions carried out not only light cruisers but, in addition, and mine-layers. With its high speed, with powerful artillery weapons, they had even more torpedoes. It was truly the "workhorse" of the fleet. Ships of the first series were commissioned in 1915, subsequent series differed slightly, mainly in the direction of increasing the number of 102-mm guns. Their construction was carried out in the Baltic in Riga, Revel and St. Petersburg, on the Black Sea - in Nikolaev. By the end of the war, many destroyers were left unfinished, due to the loss of Riga, Reval's evacuation and a number of other reasons.

In 1938-1941 as well as during the war, the Soviet Fleets were constantly equipped with new destroyers of project 7 and project 7U. A new torpedo-boat destroyer, under project 30, was designed by the group of constructors headed by A.M. Yunovidov. The lead ship of this series, the Ognevoy, was laid in NIkolaev in August 1939. It was planned to put her to the standard receiving-passing tests in December 1941. Unfortunately, the war delayed further construction of Ognevoy. She was completed and commissioned in Poty in 1944-1945. Before the war, ten hulls of future torpedo-boat destroyers under project 30 had been built.

Mass construction of new destroyers began only in the first post-war decade following a modified and improved project 30-bis this time. Welded-hull destroyers were armed with four 130-mm guns in two turrets and equipped with radar installations and sonar devices.

The Great Patriotic War had shown that the destroyers had evolved into Multipurpose ships. They fought air and anti-submarine warfare, guarding convoys, fought with submarines, operated against coastal facilities, engaged in mine productions. In its intended purpose torpedo strikes on enemy ships and transports in the domestic fleet throughout the war there were only two episodes, and they failed. Even in time of war designers sought to take down one torpedo rack and in its place install anti-aircraft artillery. But it was forbidden.

In post-war projects, torpedoes were not replaced with artillery fire chief. But to effectively fight enemy planes, there was a need for 130-mm universal artillery. The Navy insisted on building the "great destroyers", with universal artillery, with a displacement of about 4,000 tons. The best project was designed in 1949 in CDB-53, the Project 41 version destroyers whose model long stood at the Northern shipyard. But because Stalin was against destroyers, the plan of 19461955 included the building of only 188 "normal" destroyers.


Project 1164 Atlant / Krasina / Slava Project 956 Sovremenny Project 1155 Fregat / Udaloy





NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list