Project 1155 Fregat I Udaloy-I class
Project 1155.1 Fregat II Udaloy-II class
Guided Missile Destroyer
By the mid-1980s, the Soviet Navy had a powerful group of medium-class warships capable of performing various combat missions anywhere in the world's oceans. Large anti-submarine ships and patrol boats, descending from the stocks of the Soviet shipyards, had a rather large displacement, powerful and developed weapons. Despite the fact that, in the classification of the Soviet Navy, such ships were patrol ship ( TFR ) or large anti-submarine ship ( BOD ), in the West they were immediately referred to the class of frigates, universal combat ships. A special place in this list is occupied by the BOD of the Project 1155 of the “Udaloy” type, which were part of the Soviet Navy and continue to remain in the national fleet today.
The Soviet Union, beginning in the mid-1960s, actively began to commission combat ships of two classes at once, the Large Anti-Submarine Ships and the Patrol Ships. The ships built in the Soviet shipyards were universal ships and, according to their tactical and technical characteristics, had no analogs in foreign fleets. However, time does not stand still and the operational-tactical situation at sea has demanded the creation of a new, more sophisticated ship. The subsequent development of the class of BOD and TFR in the Navy was the project 1155.
Designed primarily as an anti-submarine warfare platform, with a long cruising range and underway replenishment capabilities, Udaloy class ships provide support to surface task forces. Udaloy reflects design changes that addressed the shortcomings of the previous Krivak program; namely the lack of helicopter facilities, limited sonar capabilities, and light air-defenses. The Udaloy has two helicopter hangars with doors that serve as a ramp to the flight deck. The ship uses a Polinom active/passive search/attack sonar system. The Udaloy's air-defense system consists of 8 Klinok launchers, and the AK-630 and AK-100 gun mounts.
The Project 1155 dates to the 1970s when it was concluded that it was too costly to build large-displacement, single-role combatants. The concept of a specialized surface ships was developed by Soviet designers. Two different types of warships were laid down which were designed by the Severnoye Design Bureau: Project 956 destroyer and Project 1155 large antisubmarine ship. Generally the Soviet equivalent of the American Spruance class, there are variations in SAM and air search radar among units of the class. Based on the Krivak class, the empahasis on ASW left these ships with limited anti-surface and anti-air capabilities.
Kaliningrad shipyard Yantar became the place for the laying and construction of the lead ship of the frigate project “Udaloy” They built the ship for almost three years. In 1980, the lead ship was launched and since January 1981 was listed as part of the Northern Fleet. Almost simultaneously with the lead ship in the shipyards of the GCC them. Zhdanov was laid the first serial ship Large Anti-Submarine Ship Project 1155 "Vice - Admiral Kulakov." Unlike the prototype, the firstborn of the series was built much longer. Already in the course of operation of the lead ship, designers in the course of construction of the serial sample made adjustments and changes to the design documentation. Construction was carried out at an intensive pace until the launch of the last serial ship of this project, the Admiral Panteleev.
It was decided to use for the construction not only the power of the Kaliningrad CVD “Yantar”, but also to connect the frigates of the shipyard of the shipbuilding plant to them to the serial construction. Zhdanov in Leningrad. At the Leningrad shipyard were built four units of this project. After launching the 12th serial ship of the project 1155 “Admiral Panteleev”, the final point in the history of ships of this class was the appearance in the Russian fleet of an improved version frigate.
Following Udaloy's commissioning, designers began developing an upgrade package in 1982 to provide more balanced capabilities. The Project 1155.1 Fregat II Class Large ASW Ships [NATO Codename Udaloy II] Russia's only multipurpose warship -- intended to be the Russian counterpart to the American Arleigh Burke-class ships. The Udaloy-II is modified by the replacement of the SS-N-14 by the SS-N-22, reflecting a change in emphasis from ASW to anti-shipping. Other changes include an improved self defense capabilit with the addition of the gun/SAM CIWS systems. Similar to Udaloy externally, it was a new configuration with the Moskit antiship missiles, a twin 130mm gun, the Udav antitorpedo system and several anti-aircraft systems. Powered by a modern gas-turbine engine, it was equipped with more capable sonars, an integrated air defense fire control system, and a number of digital electronic systems based on state-of-the-art circuitry.
The first ship of this new class -- the Admiral Chabanenko -- was laid down at the Yantar Shipyard in Kaliningrad on 28 February 1989, and was launched on 14 December 1992. The ship, 98 percent complete, remained within the shipyard's wall for several years due to financially motivated delays in acceptance tests. The hull of the second Project 1155.1 ship, already assembled by the shipyard, was scrapped.
The Large Anti-Submarine Ship of Project 1155.1 "Admiral Chabanenko" was the only one launched by ships of an improved version. The unfinished construction of the Frigate II frigates became a swan song in the epic with the construction of a frigate class ship for the domestic fleet. Already the last serial ship of the project 1155 "Admiral Panteleyev" was practically a ship of another class, more similar in combat characteristics to destroyers.
According to some reports, the eventual goal was to deploy at least fourteen Udaloys in two brigades of seven ships each [roughly 12 Udaloy Is and 2 Udaloy IIs], and possibly three brigades with a total of 21 ships. However, follow-on ships of this class were cancelled in the early 1990s. The nearly complete second unit was scrapped in 1994, and a third planned unit was never laid down.
At the end of 1997 the only large surface combatants active in significant numbers were the newer units of the dozen remaining Sovremennyy-class guided-missile destroyers and a few of the half-dozen remaining operational Udaloy-class destroyers. The Admiral Chabanenko, launched in 1992, was not yet fully operational at the end of 1997. On 28 January 1999 the Admiral Chabanenko BPK large antisubmarine ship was finally commissioned in the Russian Navy.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|